logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<1819202122>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linus Solanki  
#476 Posted : 17 January 2013 04:47:32(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1015 time(s) in 644 post(s)
Pitchfork gave it a 6.8 which is not bad at all, usually they are very harsh and trash everything, They have a liking for new order.

http://pitchfork.com/rev...lbums/17532-lost-sirens/

This isn't a new New Order album, exactly. During the long, expensive sessions that produced 2005's Waiting for the Sirens' Call, New Order recorded a small pile of extra material, the idea being that they'd get a few more songs down after the subsequent tour and call it another album. But they stopped playing together after 2006, then bassist Peter Hook left the band acrimoniously, and the two camps spent a few years bickering at one another. However, since the return of keyboardist Gillian Gilbert, they've been touring again as, effectively, an oldies act-- minus Hook. (Their set lists last year featured, typically, all of two post-1993 songs, and encores from the Joy Division catalogue.)

Now, following extended tussles over mixes and copyright, they're finally releasing the leftovers from their final sessions with Hook: six previously unheard songs, plus one remixed Sirens' Call track and the awesome "Hellbent", which appeared on the 2011 Joy Division/New Order singles cash-in, Total. Eight songs in a bit under 40 minutes; that's an EP by 2013 standards, but it's longer than either Movement or Brotherhood.

Singer/guitarist Bernard Sumner has called Lost Sirens "a non-completed album, [the likes of] which we've never released before." That's not necessarily evident from listening to it, and they've certainly released a lot of more ragged material in the past. These are densely packed, finely detailed arrangements in New Order's late-80s rock-with-keyboards mode-- much more recognizable as the work of the band that recorded "Dream Attack" than the one that recorded "Fine Time". Sumner's lyrics are, as usual, almost half-baked a tad more often than they're almost profound, and his voice still sounds exactly as clear, earnest, and likeably strained as it did when he was a babyfaced ex-punk with a ridiculous haircut.

A lot of what made 80s-era New Order special, though, was their perpetual fascination with body music and the culture around it-- the way they always latched onto the dance music of the moment, from the tail-end of disco to Latin freestyle to acid house, and reworked it in their own idiom. Lost Sirens obviously can't suggest much familiarity with what's going on in dance clubs in 2013, and it doesn't suggest what was going on there when it was recorded close to a decade ago; the clock stopped for their groove sense around the time they first broke up. ("Hellbent" would sound totally natural mixed out of Primal Scream's Madchester anthem "Loaded.")

Peter Hook's presence on Lost Sirens is, understandably, somewhat muted-- there are a few of his signature fretless bass solos scattered around the album, but this is very much a guitar-driven, Sumner-centered record. Aside from occasional New Order-y instrumental flourishes, it wouldn't be a surprise to learn that these were actually recordings by Sumner's 90s band, Electronic. Even so, every time Hook's bass rears up in the mix-- the lead to the chorus of "Californian Grass", or the instrumental break in "I've Got a Feeling"-- it's a reminder of how well Sumner, Hook, and Stephen Morris always played together, and how their collaboration had an instrumental identity as distinctive as any band's. It's worth noting that the titles of both of those songs echo the Beatles' postponed, bickered-over swan song, Let It Be.

"It's been 10 long years since I've been home," begins "I Told You So", the one song here reprised from Sirens' Call. (The very different mix here sounds more like a rewrite of "All Tomorrow's Parties".) That's a doubly barbed line in this context, made more so by how Sumner follows it a moment later: "It's an occupation I don't like/ But it pays the rent and turns on the light." Maybe New Order have some more albums in them; maybe with Gilbert back in the fold they'll recast themselves as a singles act again. Maybe not. These remnants of their most recent burst of creative fecundity are a decent way for them to go out, if they are indeed going to be playing the hits to pay the rent from here on out. As an album, Lost Sirens isn't at all an embarrassment: it's a document of a band whose range and reach, rather than power, are what has been diminished.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2013(UTC)
Andy  
#477 Posted : 17 January 2013 07:00:35(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3074 time(s) in 2145 post(s)
Linus Solanki wrote:
JG wrote:
In at 14 on the UK mid week charts. Pretty impressive off the back of virtually no marketing or promotional activity.

Sadly in the US it didn't even make the top 200 on I-tunes or Amazon mp3 store, then again they did no promotion at all, it is still not on their official website, i guess they want nothing to do with it, sad VERY sad

Not expected to be a chart topper but maybe you should wait until after the January 22nd release date before making your sad lament.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Andy  
#478 Posted : 17 January 2013 07:05:20(UTC)
Andy

Man

Linus Solanki wrote:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17532-lost-sirens/

"However, since the return of keyboardist Gillian Gilbert, they've been touring again as, effectively, an oldies act-- minus Hook. (Their set lists last year featured, typically, all of two post-1993 songs, and encores from the Joy Division catalogue.)"

It's interesting that they take New Order to task on this point, considering Hooky's sets. And they played five post-1993 tracks, not two.
Linus Solanki  
#479 Posted : 17 January 2013 07:05:43(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Andy wrote:
Linus Solanki wrote:
JG wrote:
In at 14 on the UK mid week charts. Pretty impressive off the back of virtually no marketing or promotional activity.

Sadly in the US it didn't even make the top 200 on I-tunes or Amazon mp3 store, then again they did no promotion at all, it is still not on their official website, i guess they want nothing to do with it, sad VERY sad

Not expected to be a chart topper but maybe you should wait until after the January 22nd release date before making your sad lament.

I guess you are right but the mp3 are already available to buy on i-tunes and amazon, they came out on Jan 15.

Edited by user 17 January 2013 09:22:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
Andy  
#480 Posted : 17 January 2013 07:15:16(UTC)
Andy

Man

Linus Solanki wrote:
Andy wrote:
Linus Solanki wrote:
JG wrote:

I guess you are right

Stop making that face, another spoonfull of strained carrots is coming your way.
Linus Solanki  
#481 Posted : 17 January 2013 07:42:26(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Andy wrote:
Linus Solanki wrote:
Andy wrote:
Linus Solanki wrote:
JG wrote:

I guess you are right

Stop making that face, another spoonfull of strained carrots is coming your way.

I was not making any faces, You are right, the album is not out in the US so I should have waited before I say anything, it seems you are the one who is making the faces.
minusthesnake  
#482 Posted : 17 January 2013 11:26:17(UTC)
minusthesnake

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
The album is out in the US, it's only available digitally and it came out this Tuesday, the 15th. The only way to get the CD or LP in the US is to import it from the UK. The reason Amazon has a January 22nd release date listed is because it takes them a week to get stuff from the UK and distribute it here. I highly doubt this release is going to make any sort of impact in the US, given the bands limited popularity (compared to the UK) and the complete lack of promotion around this release. Rhino US sees this as a release for the fans, it's there digitally for anyone who wants it and if you need a physical CD/LP, you can import it through Amazon.
thanks 1 user thanked minusthesnake for this useful post.
No Barcode  
#483 Posted : 17 January 2013 11:31:56(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
minusthesnake wrote:
The album is out in the US, it's only available digitally and it came out this Tuesday, the 15th. The only way to get the CD or LP in the US is to import it from the UK. The reason Amazon has a January 22nd release date listed is because it takes them a week to get stuff from the UK and distribute it here. I highly doubt this release is going to make any sort of impact in the US, given the bands limited popularity (compared to the UK) and the complete lack of promotion around this release. Rhino US sees this as a release for the fans, it's there digitally for anyone who wants it and if you need a physical CD/LP, you can import it through Amazon.

Do you work for Rhino?
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
minusthesnake  
#484 Posted : 17 January 2013 11:34:32(UTC)
minusthesnake

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
No Barcode wrote:
minusthesnake wrote:

Do you work for Rhino?

No, but I used to work at Warners (Rhino's parent label) so I can tell you how they think with releases like this.
thanks 1 user thanked minusthesnake for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#485 Posted : 17 January 2013 12:00:53(UTC)
Linus Solanki

minusthesnake wrote:

Thanks, nice to know
Andy  
#486 Posted : 17 January 2013 13:20:01(UTC)
Andy

Man

Linus Solanki wrote:

I was not making any faces, You are right, the album is not out in the US so I should have waited before I say anything, it seems you are the one who is making the faces.

I was referring to your avatar.

Edited by user 17 January 2013 13:20:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

is it bro  
#487 Posted : 17 January 2013 15:01:31(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
I must say I love lost sirens. I rate it in the middle of the previous two albums (better than wtfsc but not as good as get ready).

1) I'll stay with you - same guitar chords as here to stay and u could easily interchange the to songs lyrics. Chorus is superb but verse lyrics a bit naff first verse. Love the intro. Could be a single. 7/10
2) sugarcane - reminds me of Liar (but better). Could be a single. Choppy guitars, gorgeous synths and great vocals and lyrics. Catchy chorus. Very poppy and could be a hit? 8/10
3) Recoil - for me this is the hidden lost track and the highlight on the album. I wish new order did more downbeat songs (I love RIAD and times change). This could be the acoustic sibling of draculas castle. One of barneys best recent vocals deliveries. Lovely acoustic guitar and piano and hooky bass. 9/10
4) Californian grass - reminds me of turn. Great flowing track with excellent guitar parts. The lyrics are complete codswallop but I've grown to like them in a funny grass kids way and I like Barney sings lower octave for verses 7/10
5) Hellbent - I wasn't fussed about this track for Total release but i like this version (although it's probably not much different). Similar sounding to player in the league. 7/10
6) I got a feeling - a different key I think to normal new order. Average track that doesn't quite float my boat 6/10. Growing to like this. Has a strong verse and a great hook for verse (but don't like how he sings "screen". 7/10
7) shake it up - this has a gorgeous melody. Idiot country-esque wah wah guitars and a bit of spooky sounding. Great backing vox panning left to right from hooky. Hooky bass sounds similar to thst on GIAUE. An unexpected chord change for the main chorus.sounds complete and ready to release as a single Love it 9/10
8) I told you so - the least exciting track for me. Although I think the song works better with this mix, more low fi, nice drums,guitar lower in mix. I still not to fussed about it.5/10

Overall 7.5/10

Overall

Edited by user 18 January 2013 13:43:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked is it bro for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2013(UTC), Antoz on 20/01/2013(UTC)
bug  
#488 Posted : 17 January 2013 23:22:28(UTC)
bug

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've Got A Feeling is hands down the best track on this album.

I prefer the Total version of Hellbent which would have made it a close 2nd. This version makes it a distant 2nd.

The lyrics are so bad in I'll Stay With You, that I just cant bring myself to listen to it again which is a shame. It could have been a good song.

The rest of the tracks should have stayed lost.

I'm huge NO fan but I seem to love half of each NO album and hate the other half. So just getting two awesome tracks here meets my expectations.

thanks 1 user thanked bug for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#489 Posted : 18 January 2013 05:22:49(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Andy wrote:
Linus Solanki wrote:

I was referring to your avatar.

Oh sorry about that then, hope no hard feelings.
homielang  
#490 Posted : 18 January 2013 06:58:26(UTC)
homielang

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Its not the best song on the album but Sugarcane has been stuck in my head. I don't know if they release a single for Lost Sirens but that track would make sense as it is catchy.

I listened to WFTSC again after Lost Sirens and Lost Sirens to me is a much better sounds album. I told you so's quasi reggae on WFTSC sounds cheesy (and I do like reggae normally).

I think adding Gillian to the mix again will improve the next album but its a shame that Hooky and Barney can't just co-exist for professional reasons.

thanks 1 user thanked homielang for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#491 Posted : 18 January 2013 07:46:51(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#492 Posted : 18 January 2013 07:54:44(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1049 time(s) in 658 post(s)

Not sure how barley 100 words - half of which don't talk about the actual songs - constitutes a "review"?

The Independent's gone downhill a bit.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#493 Posted : 18 January 2013 09:15:02(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
NotAMod wrote:

Not sure how barley 100 words - half of which don't talk about the actual songs - constitutes a "review"?

The Independent's gone downhill a bit.

In fairness, they've summed it up quite nicely.

"unchallenging semi-electronic pop-rock you'd expect from late-period New Order, complete with lyrics of, to be kind, nursery rhyme simplicity"
thanks 3 users thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2013(UTC), 0_o on 18/01/2013(UTC), Michael Monkhouse on 19/01/2013(UTC)
is it bro  
#494 Posted : 18 January 2013 13:44:54(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
bug wrote:
I've Got A Feeling is hands down the best track on this album.

I prefer the Total version of Hellbent which would have made it a close 2nd. This version makes it a distant 2nd.

The lyrics are so bad in I'll Stay With You, that I just cant bring myself to listen to it again which is a shame. It could have been a good song.

The rest of the tracks should have stayed lost.

I'm huge NO fan but I seem to love half of each NO album and hate the other half. So just getting two awesome tracks here meets my expectations.

I've changed I got a feeling to a 7 as its a grower.

Can't tell difference between two hellbent mixes.
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
Debaser  
#495 Posted : 18 January 2013 15:35:24(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3024 time(s) in 2080 post(s)
I popped into HMV Oxford street tonight to see if they had Lost Sirens Vinyl/CD edition at a reasonable price (yes HMV was open and people were... buying things). Employee looked it up on the computer: Price £18 (ouch!). Copies in stock: 0. But then he looked up the CD, and these stats showed up: Price £8 (better), 57 sold this week. In stock (18 copies to be exact). 57 ain't exactly a lot considering that particular HMV is probably the biggest record shop left in London (for now).
Anyway I had to have a look at the physical product, and for £8 I couldn't resist buying it. Undecided whether I'll get the vinyl version too now. Rough Trade East told me on the phone yesterday they're selling it for £13.99 (in stock) in case anyone is interested.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2013(UTC)
Debaser  
#496 Posted : 18 January 2013 15:38:29(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3024 time(s) in 2080 post(s)
One more credit from the CD booklet:
Project Manager: Gary Lancaster.

Now that the thing is out, would occasional NOOLer Gary like to tell us what that involved? Hooky's been claiming recently that it wasn't him causing the delays. So what was the story?
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#497 Posted : 19 January 2013 09:22:15(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Mr Jarvo's right, the Independent review ain't too far off the mark about these lyrics of a 'nursey-rhyme simplicity'. The thing is that when you fall in love with a group you fall for everything, even the things that objective observers whinge about. I always used to go on about New Order in '89, then I watched a vid with a friend and he said 'That guy can't really sing, that bass player shouldn't try to hog the stage like that, that synthist looks like she's made of lead, that drummer keeps pulling funny faces'... And I thought 'Yeah, that's what I like, so fuck off.'
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2013(UTC), edspess on 20/01/2013(UTC)
JoanneB  
#498 Posted : 20 January 2013 12:31:08(UTC)
JoanneB

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I enjoyed your post Antoz. New Order have been my fave band of the last 25 years and always will be my fave band, whether they make music or not. I am glad I have a copy of Lost Sirens - I've got the cd and vinyl set. Hope they do make a new album. We shall see.
thanks 2 users thanked JoanneB for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/01/2013(UTC), Antoz on 23/01/2013(UTC)
0_o  
#499 Posted : 20 January 2013 13:20:43(UTC)
0_o

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Just curious... how does the Lost Sirens CD case that comes with the vinyl set differ from the stand alone CD? Or are they the same?
thanks 1 user thanked 0_o for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/01/2013(UTC)
neil larkcom  
#500 Posted : 20 January 2013 13:40:26(UTC)
neil larkcom

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 44 post(s)
0_o wrote:
Just curious... how does the Lost Sirens CD case that comes with the vinyl set differ from the stand alone CD? Or are they the same?

they are different
vinyl edition has a card sleeve
the actual cd is as per previews for months
thanks 1 user thanked neil larkcom for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/01/2013(UTC)