logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<2021222324>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bill  
#526 Posted : 23 January 2013 04:37:05(UTC)
Bill

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Finally have me hands on the Vinyl + CD.Postman knocked on the door this morning which was lucky as it happened i was home from work early today.Smile
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/01/2013(UTC)
is it bro  
#527 Posted : 23 January 2013 05:09:11(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
im loving ill stay with you, sugarcane, recoil and shake it up. 3 more songs and the follow up to WFTSC could have been best release since technique (IMO of course).
thanks 2 users thanked is it bro for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/01/2013(UTC), Antoz on 25/01/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#528 Posted : 25 January 2013 09:57:23(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Finally bought Lost Sirens. Overall I like it...I wasn't expecting it to be a big departure from WFTSC as it was recorded round the same time, so I didn't look at it as a "new" album per se.

I'll Stay With You - One of the very best post 2000 New Order songs..truly great. moving lyrics and vocals from Bernard, lovely bass melodies from Hooky, some Smithsy guitar from Phil, lighting crack drumming from Steve, and nice, crisp electronics. Song has great melodies as well as some lovely guitar thrashing from Bernard that reminds me of Brotherhood.

Sugarcane - LOVE IT. Of course I also thought that Jetstream and Guilt Is a Useless Emotion were two of New Order best synth heavy dance tunes/pop singles. I love the throbbing, discoey synth bass line, the funky Chic esque guitars from Bernard and Phil, the four to the floor drums from Steve, and the interlocking piano and synth string parts, and the outro is great. The song is very bouncey and has a lot of Great energy, I think that had it been released as a single in 2006 to promote the new album, it would have been a hit, it brings to mine what Franz Ferdinand were doing round the same time. Great club song. Great vocals from Bernard and the lyrics have a nice, satiric edge about celebrity pop culture..."it's just another day in the life of a superstar," Sumner sings breezily. I love the outro tooooo is Hooky even on this song?

Hellbent - I've always loved this song since I heard the Total Mix. This Mix is a bit rawer, but I like that you can hear the synths a bit more. I love Hellbent, I love the soaring, uplifting chorus melodies, the interplay between the guitar and the synths, Hooky's bass runs, Steve's bouncey drums and programming, the instrumental climax of the song. I love the the lyrics as well, smart, thought out lyrics. Bernard really went to town with the keyboard work on this tune.

"You're the star in the scene, you're not just anybody. There's a light in your eyes that I can't seem to reach. Over here in the sky, is is shining on me? We have hope in hearts, and dreams in our heads, but most of the time we stay in our beds. If you go out there, just up the hall, it's a cold, cruel world outside that door."

One of my favorite Bernard Lyrics for sure.

Californian Grass - Love the intro, swirling strings and guitars, great mix of electronics and acoustics. Bernard sounds great singing in his lower register, the synths on the verses are great, and Hooky sounds good on the low bass. The whole song is very, very Techniquey, kind of melancholy. I love the chorus lyrics, "For a few dollars more." Nice Sergio Leone reference! Great guitar break in the middle of the song, reminds me of Neil Young, which I can totally dig. I like the squiggly synths at the end.

Recoil - Love it. Really dark and moody songs, brings to mind Ruined in a Day and setting suns. Really niece melodic bass work from Hooky, nice interplay between Bernard and Hooky's guitars.

I've Got a Feeling - One of the very best post 2000 songs. A really beautiful, sad, well written song. I cannot help but think that Bernard wrote these lyrics about Hooky while he was still in the band. A moving song about the death of a friendship.

Shake It Up - This song is delightfully bonkers! I love the fat staccato synth bass, the mix of arpeggiated synths and funky wah wah guitars, the Confusion-eque percussion and backing vocals, the song is a lot of fun and it sounds like the band had fun making it. The chorus is a bit weak though.

I Told You So - I liked the version on WFTSC (I must be the only one) and this version is excellent...very Velvet Underground and icy, I dig it.

Overall, for what it is, I think Lost Sirens is pretty good. It has 4 songs that I think are among the best of New Order's later work (Sugarcane, Hellbent, I'll Stay With You, I've Got a Feeling) and the songs have a loose, funky, fun, weird energy that was missing for WFTSC. I think it would have been the basis if an excellent 2006/2007 New Order album, with Sugarcane and Hellbent as lead singles. I like the raw production qualities of these tunes as well.

I wouldn't mind hearing Hellbent and Sugarcane played by the current line up.

A nice curiosity...hopefully now New Order will make some new music.

Zachery Allan Starkey

Edited by user 25 January 2013 14:42:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
Cranelane on 25/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2013(UTC), tarbox23 on 25/01/2013(UTC), rosygale on 26/01/2013(UTC), Pyrtwist on 28/01/2013(UTC)
No Barcode  
#529 Posted : 25 January 2013 10:05:25(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
ZASmusic, you should become New Order's press agent :)
thanks 4 users thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2013(UTC), ZASmusic on 25/01/2013(UTC), Debaser on 25/01/2013(UTC), Eimi on 25/01/2013(UTC)
tarbox23  
#530 Posted : 25 January 2013 13:31:32(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
ZASmusic, i completely agree, excellent review --

(i am also one of the few fans like you who appreciates Guilt Is a Useless Emotion - and Hellbent )
Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 1 user thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2013(UTC)
The Shadow  
#531 Posted : 25 January 2013 13:51:33(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Agree about hellbent great track and works well in the context of an album rather than just bunged on the end of the Total comp
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Eimi  
#532 Posted : 25 January 2013 15:38:26(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
No Barcode wrote:
ZASmusic, you should become New Order's press agent :)

I agree.
thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#533 Posted : 25 January 2013 16:30:15(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1015 time(s) in 644 post(s)
Zachary is the man.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/01/2013(UTC)
Mike C.  
#534 Posted : 25 January 2013 19:15:32(UTC)
Mike C.

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Cancelled my Amazon order - tired of waiting for it to ship, grabbed it on iTunes. Screw Amazon.

After one beginning-to-end listen I re-listened to I'll Stay With You a few times, AND RECOIL 5!!!!!

Wow, this was an unexpected track. Somber and moody, I felt like I was on a beach at 6pm watching the waves, squeezing the last few rays of heat from the sun, and drinking that last drink before going back to the hotel to clean up and continue onwards.

Love the Hooky solos, and blends of guitar (whomever it was).

Despite my apathy with Mr. Hook this track really drove home to me that this was indeed yet another sad ending for the band. And for me.

Onwards.
...in a single breath, this world is gone...
thanks 1 user thanked Mike C. for this useful post.
No Barcode  
#535 Posted : 25 January 2013 19:50:21(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Mike C. wrote:
Somber and moody, I felt like I was on a beach at 6pm watching the waves, squeezing the last few rays of heat from the sun, and drinking that last drink before going back to the hotel to clean up and continue onwards.

That's exactly how I was listening to the album.
thanks 2 users thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/01/2013(UTC), Mike C. on 26/01/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#536 Posted : 25 January 2013 20:06:07(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

No Barcode wrote:
Mike C. wrote:
Somber and moody, I felt like I was on a beach at 6pm watching the waves, squeezing the last few rays of heat from the sun, and drinking that last drink before going back to the hotel to clean up and continue onwards.

That's exactly how I was listening to the album.

It's snowy where I live but I agree it's a pleasant sounding album.
0_o  
#537 Posted : 25 January 2013 20:09:30(UTC)
0_o

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Mike C. wrote:
Cancelled my Amazon order - tired of waiting for it to ship, grabbed it on iTunes. Screw Amazon.

After one beginning-to-end listen I re-listened to I'll Stay With You a few times, AND RECOIL 5!!!!!

Wow, this was an unexpected track. Somber and moody, I felt like I was on a beach at 6pm watching the waves, squeezing the last few rays of heat from the sun, and drinking that last drink before going back to the hotel to clean up and continue onwards.

Despite my apathy with Mr. Hook this track really drove home to me that this was indeed yet another sad ending for the band. And for me.

Onwards.

Try the 3rd party sellers on Amazon, on the same page. They actually have it, and some cheaper.
thanks 2 users thanked 0_o for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/01/2013(UTC), Mike C. on 26/01/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#538 Posted : 26 January 2013 01:59:40(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
0_o wrote:
Mike C. wrote:

Onwards.

Try the 3rd party sellers on Amazon, on the same page. They actually have it, and some cheaper.

Think i inadvertently ended up buying from a third party seller when orderded from Amazon . "All Your Music" , still took a week and a half to be delivered though. The album sounds great on Vinyl but i think i need a new needle for my Technics record deck. Found i can buy the correct needle i need online quite easily, ebay etc
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#539 Posted : 26 January 2013 02:17:11(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
is it bro wrote:
im loving ill stay with you, sugarcane, recoil and shake it up. 3 more songs and the follow up to WFTSC could have been best release since technique (IMO of course).

Is just me who like I've got a feeling?
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
Eimi  
#540 Posted : 26 January 2013 02:23:17(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Big Mouth Julio wrote:
is it bro wrote:

I quite like that song.
Cranelane  
#541 Posted : 26 January 2013 04:19:54(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:
Big Mouth Julio wrote:
is it bro wrote:

I quite like that song.

My favourites are I'll Stay With You, Californian Grass, Recoil and Sugarcane,
I can bear to listen to ITYS in its new arrangement but I would have dumped the female backing vocals from it..

thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
Eimi  
#542 Posted : 26 January 2013 04:39:44(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Cranelane wrote:

My favourites are I'll Stay With You, Californian Grass, Recoil and Sugarcane,
I can bear to listen to ITYS in its new arrangement but I would have dumped the female backing vocals from it..

I liked 'Shake It Up', 'Sugarcane', 'I'll Stay With You', 'I've Got A Feeling'. 'Hellbent' is somewhat growing on me.
Andrés Londoño  
#543 Posted : 26 January 2013 05:56:09(UTC)
Andrés Londoño

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Mike C. wrote:

EBAY refunded me cause is not available in the US yet. Black eye

thanks 1 user thanked Andrés Londoño for this useful post.
Mike C.  
#544 Posted : 26 January 2013 06:26:22(UTC)
Mike C.

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 129 post(s)
0_o wrote:
Mike C. wrote:

Onwards.

Sounds like a plan to bet them into the higher bit rate. Will do.
...in a single breath, this world is gone...
thanks 1 user thanked Mike C. for this useful post.
0_o  
#545 Posted : 26 January 2013 11:07:15(UTC)
0_o

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Big Mouth Julio wrote:
is it bro wrote:

At first I thought "I've Got a Feeling" was going to be the weakest filler song on Lost Sirens, hidden near the end. Easy to make fun of title, simple cliche lyrics almost seem like self parody for Bernard, simple guitar heavy song... but the song works, I quite like the song. The bass playing should be higher in the mix thou, especially when the guitar and bass play out during the last part, would have made it more poignant and distinctive, more New Orderly.

Really, I like all the Lost Sirens tracks. None trigger the instant urge to skip.

Edited by user 27 January 2013 16:19:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 0_o for this useful post.
steven  
#546 Posted : 28 January 2013 03:14:19(UTC)
steven

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 30 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked steven for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2013(UTC)
is it bro  
#547 Posted : 28 January 2013 05:16:41(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
ZASmusic wrote:
Finally bought Lost Sirens. Overall I like it...I wasn't expecting it to be a big departure from WFTSC as it was recorded round the same time, so I didn't look at it as a "new" album per se.

I'll Stay With You - One of the very best post 2000 New Order songs..truly great. moving lyrics and vocals from Bernard, lovely bass melodies from Hooky, some Smithsy guitar from Phil, lighting crack drumming from Steve, and nice, crisp electronics. Song has great melodies as well as some lovely guitar thrashing from Bernard that reminds me of Brotherhood.

Sugarcane - LOVE IT. Of course I also thought that Jetstream and Guilt Is a Useless Emotion were two of New Order best synth heavy dance tunes/pop singles. I love the throbbing, discoey synth bass line, the funky Chic esque guitars from Bernard and Phil, the four to the floor drums from Steve, and the interlocking piano and synth string parts, and the outro is great. The song is very bouncey and has a lot of Great energy, I think that had it been released as a single in 2006 to promote the new album, it would have been a hit, it brings to mine what Franz Ferdinand were doing round the same time. Great club song. Great vocals from Bernard and the lyrics have a nice, satiric edge about celebrity pop culture..."it's just another day in the life of a superstar," Sumner sings breezily. I love the outro tooooo is Hooky even on this song?

Hellbent - I've always loved this song since I heard the Total Mix. This Mix is a bit rawer, but I like that you can hear the synths a bit more. I love Hellbent, I love the soaring, uplifting chorus melodies, the interplay between the guitar and the synths, Hooky's bass runs, Steve's bouncey drums and programming, the instrumental climax of the song. I love the the lyrics as well, smart, thought out lyrics. Bernard really went to town with the keyboard work on this tune.

"You're the star in the scene, you're not just anybody. There's a light in your eyes that I can't seem to reach. Over here in the sky, is is shining on me? We have hope in hearts, and dreams in our heads, but most of the time we stay in our beds. If you go out there, just up the hall, it's a cold, cruel world outside that door."

One of my favorite Bernard Lyrics for sure.

Californian Grass - Love the intro, swirling strings and guitars, great mix of electronics and acoustics. Bernard sounds great singing in his lower register, the synths on the verses are great, and Hooky sounds good on the low bass. The whole song is very, very Techniquey, kind of melancholy. I love the chorus lyrics, "For a few dollars more." Nice Sergio Leone reference! Great guitar break in the middle of the song, reminds me of Neil Young, which I can totally dig. I like the squiggly synths at the end.

Recoil - Love it. Really dark and moody songs, brings to mind Ruined in a Day and setting suns. Really niece melodic bass work from Hooky, nice interplay between Bernard and Hooky's guitars.

I've Got a Feeling - One of the very best post 2000 songs. A really beautiful, sad, well written song. I cannot help but think that Bernard wrote these lyrics about Hooky while he was still in the band. A moving song about the death of a friendship.

Shake It Up - This song is delightfully bonkers! I love the fat staccato synth bass, the mix of arpeggiated synths and funky wah wah guitars, the Confusion-eque percussion and backing vocals, the song is a lot of fun and it sounds like the band had fun making it. The chorus is a bit weak though.

I Told You So - I liked the version on WFTSC (I must be the only one) and this version is excellent...very Velvet Underground and icy, I dig it.

Overall, for what it is, I think Lost Sirens is pretty good. It has 4 songs that I think are among the best of New Order's later work (Sugarcane, Hellbent, I'll Stay With You, I've Got a Feeling) and the songs have a loose, funky, fun, weird energy that was missing for WFTSC. I think it would have been the basis if an excellent 2006/2007 New Order album, with Sugarcane and Hellbent as lead singles. I like the raw production qualities of these tunes as well.

I wouldn't mind hearing Hellbent and Sugarcane played by the current line up.

A nice curiosity...hopefully now New Order will make some new music.

Zachery Allan Starkey

Hey Zach. Nice write up.

My interpretation of Hellbent is:

"You're the star in the sea, you're not just anybody
There's a light in your eyes that I can't seem to reach
Overhead in the sky, is it shining on me?
We have hope in hearts, and dreams in our heads
But most of the time we stayed in our beds
If you go out there, you just want more
It's a cold, cold world outside that door."

Anyone work out the 3rd line of Recoil. the publised "And when the dust come howl at your door" doesnt make any sense!!
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/01/2013(UTC)
CTB  
#548 Posted : 28 January 2013 05:49:46(UTC)
CTB

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 58 post(s)
is it bro wrote:

Anyone work out the 3rd line of Recoil. the publised "And when the dust come howl at your door" doesnt make any sense!!

Surely its "... when the dogs howl at your door...", isn't it?
thanks 1 user thanked CTB for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#549 Posted : 28 January 2013 06:23:48(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1015 time(s) in 644 post(s)
Nice one from Hot Press.

http://www.hotpress.com/...518494.html?new_layout=1

Seven years and one very bitter falling-out later, New Order have reformed as a live entity (sans Hooky) and here comes their first ‘new’ product, a batch of outtakes from the Siren sessions. The suspicion, naturally, is that this is a desperate exercise in barrel-scraping by an outfit bound for the nostalgia circuit. However, your misgivings evaporate the instant you slap on opener ‘I’ll Stay With You’. A cousin once removed of classic NO single ‘Regret’, it strikes a balance between the bittersweet and the exuberant. Fair enough, Peter Hook’s trademark bass gets short shrift but, Electronica soundalike or not, it’s a lovely, lovely document of musicians finding their way back to their best. There are more rocking moments also: ‘Recoil’ features (yesss! ) a proper Hooky solo,’ I Told You So’ is a heavyweight indie chugger reminiscent of New Order’s late ‘80s Technique period. Judging by recent interviews, a New Order reconciliation seemed unlikely. As sign-offs go, Lost Sirens is no Abbey Road. But it is far more than the odds and sods cash-in you might have assumed.

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
DJFairborne77  
#550 Posted : 28 January 2013 07:55:46(UTC)
DJFairborne77

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
So, "Lost Sirens" debuted at #23 in the UK albums chart last week, but it seems to have fallen out of the top 100 this week! Does anyone know exactly what number it is this week?...

http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/

Edited by user 28 January 2013 07:56:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked DJFairborne77 for this useful post.