logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<1718192021>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NotAMod  
#451 Posted : 14 January 2013 15:07:01(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
I must admit, I really like it... pretty much the whole album. I'll Stay With You and Californian Grass are the 'classic' New Order we know and love, each aspect of the band's sound accounted for and gelling perfectly. I think production-wise Stephen Street really got the best out of them over those two songs. Sugarcane I initially didn't take to, the lyrics are obviously trite but after a few more listens even it won me slightly over. I've Got A Feeling is a bit moody and Sabotage-esque as someone else posted but again it flows surprisingly well, perhaps being Bernard's lyrical high point of the record. I'm revisiting that one a lot.

Hellbent's rougher mix doesn't quite measure up to the tarted up Radio Edit on Total we've been used to for over a year now; the bass and keyboards are too low in the mix. They're the same length so I'm not sure why they didn't just drop the Total mix onto LS but it's no big deal as we've got both versions now. Recoil is taking longer to appreciate, I've not felt the need to go back to it as much as the others so the jury's still out on that one. Shake It Up is "Idiot Country Three" and the intro is memorable and very slick. No comment on ITYS as it's a remix, not really a "new" song; I'm indifferent to it.

How will we feel about these songs in 6-12 months? Will they stand up next to the 'classic' material of the Factory years? For now, I'm just taking them on their own merits but I'm guessing in time I'll Stay With You and maybe even I've Got A Feeling will be remembered fondly.

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised; the big question now is that they're finally out, will the current line-up of the band play any of them live this year?

Edited by user 14 January 2013 15:52:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/01/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#452 Posted : 14 January 2013 15:08:03(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
Kelvin wrote:
I'm sure someone will now tell me that both versions of Hellbent are the same now, and I'll think I'm going mad...

I like Hellbent from total much better, the Total version is re-edited and beefed up and sounds much better than the lost sirens version. Extra things here and there in the Total version makes it sound better.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/01/2013(UTC)
NewOrderFan1990  
#453 Posted : 14 January 2013 21:49:12(UTC)
NewOrderFan1990

Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Just bought the mp3, and I have to say that this is an excellent album!! 100 times better than most of the new shit that is released today. New Order can do no wrong, can't wait for another album!!
thanks 1 user thanked NewOrderFan1990 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/01/2013(UTC)
Kelvin  
#454 Posted : 15 January 2013 02:49:40(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 36 post(s)
So, who mixed Hellbent for Total, and why didn't they "finish" this release for us? Politics?
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
World Domination: Complete  
#455 Posted : 15 January 2013 03:24:30(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
NewOrderFan1990 wrote:
Just bought the mp3, and I have to say that this is an excellent album!! 100 times better than most of the new shit that is released today. New Order can do no wrong, can't wait for another album!!

Can't wait to hear Tom on a studio release !
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
World Domination: Complete  
#456 Posted : 15 January 2013 04:20:52(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
They'll really be scraping the barrel if they tour 'Lost Sirens' (a bunch of out takes), They could call the tour 'LOST MORALS' or even LOST BIROS - that's a popular thread Big Grin
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
komakino  
#457 Posted : 15 January 2013 13:08:06(UTC)
komakino

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I must say I find Lost Sirens a rather uninspiring affair and in many ways I would of preferred them to stay lost. The thing is, after being on the shelf for a number of years, they still don't sound finished. They just seem like ideas, nothing more, with no particular direction. They sound like a Sumner on his own, with session musicians, in a 'New Order-esque' style. After the hype that Hooky gave them a year or two back, they are a massive disappointment.

Unless the band can do a fully electronic based album - which they've never done - I would rather them not put out anymore material.
thanks 1 user thanked komakino for this useful post.
is it bro  
#458 Posted : 15 January 2013 14:45:29(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Just to go against the last post, I'm glad these songs have made the light of day. Early days but they this bunch of tracks sound more fresh than the wftsc ones (which I just can't bear to listen to nowadays except turn, giaua and hnwyd.

It showcases more of their talent and even these "lesser" tracks sound so much better than a lot of poop that other bands have produced the same timeframe. While the lyrics are pretty naff "and when the dusk come howl at your door?", Barnes vocals are far better than what emerges on wftsc.

I'd take more of the same anyway. Barney has a great ear for a decent vocal
Melody.
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
Volturno  
#459 Posted : 15 January 2013 17:48:54(UTC)
Volturno

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
It's up on Spotify. Wink
thanks 1 user thanked Volturno for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/01/2013(UTC)
steven  
#460 Posted : 16 January 2013 03:03:11(UTC)
steven

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 30 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked steven for this useful post.
homielang  
#461 Posted : 16 January 2013 07:20:10(UTC)
homielang

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I picked up Lost Sirens yesterday and it is a real shame that this album was not expanded on. I think it is far better than WFTSC.Outside of the title track and Krafty I didn't really like that album.

If its the last album with Hooky its a real shame because it is pretty solid.
thanks 1 user thanked homielang for this useful post.
Kelvin  
#462 Posted : 16 January 2013 07:47:43(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I'm still enjoying the songs. A lot.
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
Bill  
#463 Posted : 16 January 2013 07:50:53(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Amazon say my Vinyl + CD edition has been dispatched but i won't receive it until around February 12th, that's almost a month away, WTF?
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#464 Posted : 16 January 2013 08:12:43(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Thanks again wrote:
Amazon say my Vinyl + CD edition has been dispatched but i won't receive it until around February 12th, that's almost a month away, WTF?

I (pre)ordered my Vinyl + CD on Sunday night with super saver delivery and I got an email today saying it will arrive this Saturday 19th.

That's going to rural Scotland as well so not sure what's happened to yours, Johnny!

Edited by user 16 January 2013 08:14:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Bill  
#465 Posted : 16 January 2013 08:35:25(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
NotAMod wrote:
Thanks again wrote:

I (pre)ordered my Vinyl + CD on Sunday night with super saver delivery and I got an email today saying it will arrive this Saturday 19th.

That's going to rural Scotland as well so not sure what's happened to yours, Johnny!

Just logged into my Amazon account and it actually says there any time between Jan 23rd and Feb 12th whereas the email just says Feb 12th. So ANY time in the next 4 weeks then lol.
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
www.neworderweb.net  
#466 Posted : 16 January 2013 10:13:38(UTC)
www.neworderweb.net

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Thanks again wrote:
NotAMod wrote:
Thanks again wrote:

Just logged into my Amazon account and it actually says there any time between Jan 23rd and Feb 12th whereas the email just says Feb 12th. So ANY time in the next 4 weeks then lol.

Ordered mine from T'amazon last week and it was delivered 2 days later!
The fuckwit idiots tried to "shoehorn" the LP into packaging that was far too small and thus damaged it in the process! Sent it back for a full refund!
In the meantime i ordered it on MP3 from T'amazon and theyve even fucked that up! downloaded it to
my "cloud" but it wont let me download it to my lappy! useless fuckwit bastards!
And they say technology is the "future" i beg to differ......
thanks 1 user thanked www.neworderweb.net for this useful post.
Sauce  
#467 Posted : 16 January 2013 13:22:57(UTC)
Sauce

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I'm enjoying it too. About as good as it could have been which I guess is faint praise. Interesting that Hellbent was sort of sacrificed as a new song for Total which I think is the weakest song here. They did the same by putting I Told You So on a freebie mag CD before WFTSC and (I think) Haze before Twisted Tenderness. Both of which made me worried about the actual albums but luckily loved them both. That said not liking Shake It Up but overall very pleased with it. :)
thanks 1 user thanked Sauce for this useful post.
Antoz  
#468 Posted : 16 January 2013 13:24:24(UTC)
Antoz

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
New Order are my favourite band, and always have been/will be. I think I may be very lucky in that I love them from Movement to Lost Sirens, and probably beyond, fingers crossed for that new New Order album!
It seems like a common attitude on these forums to suggest that somehow the Factory NO were the be all and end all and that the band hasn't made anything worthwile since Technique, admittabley their best album, certainly nothing to compare with the great Factory classics.. But for me, that criminally ignores some of the best songs NO have EVER created, imoho of course! Regret, World, Liar, Brutal, Crystal, Vicious Circle, Here to Stay, Krafty, Who's Joe, Waiting for the Siren's Call and Turn. For me, these latter four in particular easily rank alongside anything produced in the 80s. This is the sound of a band growing and developing and not staying the same, ever.
Now we have the Lost Sirens, and what a lost album this would have been. These are no worthless outtakes, on my first listen to 'I'll Stay With You' I fell in love instantly, and could even sing along by the end, to me that is a sure sign of classic-dom, or whatever! Crystal, Who's Joe, Lost all had the same effect. What I find particularly pleasing about this 'album' (and I think in years to come we will come to see it as the 9th studio album, as it should have been, after all its not that unusual for NO to put out 8 track albums then, is it?) is that after a few listens there are NO (scuse the pun) crap tracks!
Yes, I love NO, but even I know that Slow Jam, Rock the Shack, Jetstream and Working Overtime are rubbish and embarrasing. Sugarcane and Recoil are slow burners, but now seem as familiar as Hellbent, which btw I think is FAR superior here than on Total, I dunno why, and I can't put my finger on it, but that's what I think! I can hear Hooky's bass all over this thing, so I don't know where the idea that its being buried is coming from, it certainly isn't on I'll Stay With You and I've Got A Feeling. Californian grass is lovely and I have paired it with Dracula's Castle on my own Sirens, as that's another song I feel gets a bad rap when in fact its a gem. Shake it Up scared me when I saw the title, and sure enough when the song itself starts horrible memories of Shack and Overtime srang to mind.. I couldn't have been more wrong! Shake it Up is how NO should do this type of rocking out song, the synths are amazing, and the chorus is so catchy, and I've seen the other comments here reminding people of Confusion, spot on! Not a huge fan of the original I Told You So, just a good album track I thought, nothing else. The remix however has completely turned that opinion on its head! What a great piece, and the perfect last track on my own Sirens, which, seeing as we all like lists and the like, is here for your perusal..

Who's Joe?
I'll Stay With You
Waiting For The Siren's Call
Sugarcane
Krafty
Californian Grass
Dracula's Castle
Hellbent
Shake It Up
Guilt Is A Useless Emotion
I've Got a Feeling
Turn
I Told You So [lost sirens mix]
thanks 2 users thanked Antoz for this useful post.
Sauce on 16/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/01/2013(UTC)
Sauce  
#469 Posted : 16 January 2013 14:01:52(UTC)
Sauce

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Good post Antoz and totally agree with the sentiment. Other than calling Sugarcane a slow burner. To me you either like or hate within two or three listens. I liked it first time which suggests lots of time later will grow to hate it but who knows. Maybe that's the reason for the title - instant buzz but not written for repeated listening. :)

thanks 2 users thanked Sauce for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/01/2013(UTC), Antoz on 16/01/2013(UTC)
M1  
#470 Posted : 16 January 2013 14:44:11(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Nice piece Antoz :)
thanks 2 users thanked M1 for this useful post.
Antoz on 16/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2013(UTC)
JG  
#471 Posted : 16 January 2013 16:09:06(UTC)
JG

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
In at 14 on the UK mid week charts. Pretty impressive off the back of virtually no marketing or promotional activity.
thanks 3 users thanked JG for this useful post.
Eimi on 16/01/2013(UTC), Antoz on 16/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2013(UTC)
Mike C.  
#472 Posted : 16 January 2013 17:45:49(UTC)
Mike C.

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 129 post(s)
neworderweb.net wrote:
Thanks again wrote:
NotAMod wrote:
Thanks again wrote:

Ordered mine from T'amazon last week and it was delivered 2 days later!
The fuckwit idiots tried to "shoehorn" the LP into packaging that was far too small and thus damaged it in the process! Sent it back for a full refund!
In the meantime i ordered it on MP3 from T'amazon and theyve even fucked that up! downloaded it to
my "cloud" but it wont let me download it to my lappy! useless fuckwit bastards!
And they say technology is the "future" i beg to differ......

I'm in the USA, and with the street date as 01/22 Amazon says I should get mine by 01/25. DAGGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've resisted streaming it. I think I can hold out.
...in a single breath, this world is gone...
thanks 1 user thanked Mike C. for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2013(UTC)
Jcp7  
#473 Posted : 16 January 2013 18:25:56(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 644 time(s) in 540 post(s)
Kelvin wrote:
So, who mixed Hellbent for Total, and why didn't they "finish" this release for us? Politics?

LostSirens : StephenStreet and CenzoTownshend
Total : JeremyWheatley
thanks 2 users thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
Antoz on 16/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2013(UTC)
Coops  
#474 Posted : 17 January 2013 02:22:30(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
I was most pleasantly surprised by this version of I Told You So, when I read it was a remix I thought they were going to up the cod-reggae by adding coconut shells banging together or summat but the Lost Sirens mix is superb.

Which begs the question why put that awful one on WFTSC?
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#475 Posted : 17 January 2013 04:45:27(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
JG wrote:
In at 14 on the UK mid week charts. Pretty impressive off the back of virtually no marketing or promotional activity.

Sadly in the US it didn't even make the top 200 on I-tunes or Amazon mp3 store, then again they did no promotion at all, it is still not on their official website, i guess they want nothing to do with it, sad VERY sad
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.