logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<1617181920>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mario  
#426 Posted : 11 January 2013 16:07:59(UTC)
Mario

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Don't really know what to make of these Lost Sirens...probably have to give it a second listening.
Coolest thing so far for me is the Sergio Leone reference in Californian Grass : For a few dollars more! LoL
thanks 1 user thanked Mario for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/01/2013(UTC)
Sauce  
#427 Posted : 11 January 2013 16:09:25(UTC)
Sauce

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Debaser wrote:
indiearchivist wrote:

I'm surprised that Brian Higgins/Xenomania don't get one single mention. Were those tracks scrapped, or are some of the above (or tracks on WFTSC) re-recordings of them?

When i first heard Sugarcane I figured its ultra poppy production must have involved Higgins. I thought it might be a bit of irony if a song about fame-hungry celebs was produced by Girls Aloud's producer. But no. However, our Mr Monkhouse may like to know that Swedish producer Tore Johansson who did work on the track has also worked with...Melanie C.
wikipedia

Good work Mr Debaser! He's actually got a very mixed (in a complimentary way) c.v.
thanks 1 user thanked Sauce for this useful post.
Cranelane  
#428 Posted : 11 January 2013 16:12:06(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Debaser wrote:

When i first heard Sugarcane I figured its ultra poppy production must have involved Higgins. I thought it might be a bit of irony if a song about fame-hungry celebs was produced by Girls Aloud's producer. But no. However, our Mr Monkhouse may like to know that Swedish producer Tore Johansson who did work on the track has also worked with...Melanie C.
wikipedia

I like the outro of Sugarcane with that very Steven Morris sounding hi-hat action going on, I presume that is him actually playing and not some programmed percussion..

Also, during Californian Grass I can hear the sound of a phone ringing out at 3:58, I presume that is meant to be there along with the other sound effects at the end of the song..
thanks 2 users thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
Eimi on 11/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/01/2013(UTC)
Sauce  
#429 Posted : 11 January 2013 17:09:15(UTC)
Sauce

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Public thanks to Linus for the Rolling Stone link......wanted to wait for Amazon but listening on Friday evening with a few beers preferable to a sober Monday lunchtime :)
thanks 1 user thanked Sauce for this useful post.
Gary  
#430 Posted : 11 January 2013 23:04:19(UTC)
Gary

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I finally got to see a copy today. Yes :)
thanks 1 user thanked Gary for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#431 Posted : 12 January 2013 02:19:52(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Debaser wrote:
indiearchivist wrote:

I'm surprised that Brian Higgins/Xenomania don't get one single mention. Were those tracks scrapped, or are some of the above (or tracks on WFTSC) re-recordings of them?

However, our Mr Monkhouse may like to know that Swedish producer Tore Johansson who did work on the track has also worked with...Melanie C.
wikipedia

Thank you for that. Did you know that my birthday is October the 4th, and C is just before the FOURTH letter of the alphabet? Also if you take the word October and change all the letters you get Melanie? Uncanny.
Still can't comment on the trax as I'm waiting for a physical release out here in Italy.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/01/2013(UTC)
Who's Joe?  
#432 Posted : 12 January 2013 06:14:04(UTC)
Who's Joe?

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 125 post(s)
so i have soaked these tracks up over the last few days and here are my thoughts.

1. I'll Stay with You -- a really like this one for what it is, late era NO with guitars. I like the vocals and enjoy the chorus. It bounces along like a brother of 'Turn'.
2. Sugarcane -- it grows on you. Very poppy isn't it? It feels very Electronic to me.
3. Recoil -- I actually think this should have replaced Working Overtime as the last song on the album. It's dour and downbeat and has elements buried in the mix that remind me of the latter half of Republic. One of my favorites from the disparate collection of tracks. Love the melancholy conveyed by the piano work. add the ocean crashing over the outro and boom Sirens is done.
4. California Grass -- love the fact Barney went lower register, love the verses, but good the chorus is brutally composed. Half finished track that could be great if he spent more time on the lyrics. The entire grocery store couplet needs to go. the track itself is pretty solid for me.
5. Hellbent -- we've heard this one, reminds me of Brutal at times. I actually like singing along to the chorus in the car. I have since it came out. Especially after a long day of work.
6. Shake it up -- i have no clue what the band was going for on this track, but i have to say, I love it. The chorus is absolutely brilliant and catchy as all hell in my opinion. I found myself humming it at work the other day (a good sign something stuck with me). I think the song really shines after the first verse which was a bit different.
7. I've Got a Feeling -- probably my favorite track, I listened closely to the lyrics and for some reason feel like this is Barney's break letter with Hooky. Also why do I feel like it sounds like Blue by Monaco a little? Or someother Monaco track I can't place immediately? It's the vocal and lyrics that get me on this one.
8. I Told You So -- I'm in the minority and always liked this track -- I like it even better on Lost Sirens. It is monochromatic and dense. Love the drums which to me seem to be front and center in the mix.

Its a hodge podge really, but as others have said, you can craft a decent album out of this and WFTSC. Enjoyable. Makes me want new music from the current lineup. Curious to hear what Gillian would bring to the table. Interested to see if she'd balance the testosterone.
thanks 1 user thanked Who's Joe? for this useful post.
0_o  
#433 Posted : 12 January 2013 09:39:41(UTC)
0_o

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Curious on how finished these were, don't know the actual process. The "synth" elements seem rather generic, even compared to WFTSC... maybe they were planning on polishing the "electronic" elements afterwards for the second record.

The mix seems to vary thou the "lost" songs seem to have the vocals and guitar high in the mix (and a few keyboards), which seems to be Bernard's preference in recent years. Some of the Hooky basslines are distinctive and seem too low in the mix, though hardly a surprise considering all the drama. What about Steve thou... I don't like how Steve has more of a background role in the music now, at least in my perception. Steve was very key to making the Factory era so distinctive.

As for one unified record, maybe I find the new tracks fresher but I'll take 6 from each. Goofy, at least they seemed to be having fun at the time.

Title of the album/CD: Hey Now
Bernard's favourite phrase it seems, and another stupid two word title like Get Ready

"Joe" (lose the Hey)
Krafty
Waiting for the Siren's Call
Californian Grass (ends with broadcast samples or something, ITYS starts with them)
I Told You So
Turn

Shake It Up
Sugarcane
Hellbent
"Road to Ruin" (better title and sort of a theme of the second side)
I've Got a Feeling
"Brothers and Sisters" (a more New Orderly title, ends the album on a positive note)

B- sides with remixes... Jetstream, Guilt, Working Overtime. Maybe Working Overtime as a hidden joke track at the end of the CD.

Edited by user 12 January 2013 11:44:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 0_o for this useful post.
World Domination: Complete  
#434 Posted : 12 January 2013 10:03:31(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
I think it needed Tom Chapman on Bass
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 2 users thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/01/2013(UTC), Coops on 14/01/2013(UTC)
The Shadow  
#435 Posted : 12 January 2013 13:03:11(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Got my copy today and I really like it. If compared to wftsc then there are some tracks such as night and day, jet stream, working overtime that I don't really like. I like all the tracks on lost sirens. I told you so remix is probably the best new order remix in a long time.

When wftsc is good such as Krafty, wftsc, turn its better than lost sirens although I,ll stay with you is up there with these tracks. Wftsc suffers from too many tracks, should have been an 8 track album as well.

Overall it's great to have new new order material that is worthy of the name. It's better than any of their side project albums apart from the first Electronic album. Shame it's the last time we will hooks bass grace a new order album. A couple of these lost sirens tracks should be aired live and hopefully there will be a few dates this year
thanks 2 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Cranelane on 12/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 13/01/2013(UTC)
Danimal  
#436 Posted : 13 January 2013 06:39:59(UTC)
Danimal

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
After reading the production credits to Lost Sirens, I've decided the Mac Quayle mix of Guilt is a Useless Emotion from the US release of WFTSC is indeed another Lost Siren and I've included it on my Lost Sirens track list in between I've Got a Feeling and I Told You So. Fills out the album nicely; it's quite G 'n R Use Your Illusion I & II having alt versions of songs on companion albums!
thanks 1 user thanked Danimal for this useful post.
Danimal  
#437 Posted : 13 January 2013 06:50:52(UTC)
Danimal

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
In terms of NO's work with Brian Higgins, Hooky said somewhere in an interview they recorded a track with him and they didn't like the process or results and decided they weren't going to do any more. I'm guessing that track will never see the light of day.
thanks 1 user thanked Danimal for this useful post.
Coops  
#438 Posted : 14 January 2013 01:22:42(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Yeah, s'alright really. No surprises but nothing nasty either.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/01/2013(UTC)
Kelvin  
#439 Posted : 14 January 2013 04:40:43(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 36 post(s)
2 brilliant proper New Order songs for keeps (1 & 4), and a couple of instantly catchy poppy okay ones (2, 3 & 7), WELL worth releasing in my opinion.

Love the closing remix as well.

I just wish that the bass wasn't so low in the mix, Republic style, on the best tracks. Shame really.

[edit - I've already changed my mind about one song, 4 - it's not quite all there, so only 1 keeper then]

Edited by user 14 January 2013 06:42:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
steven  
#440 Posted : 14 January 2013 06:04:45(UTC)
steven

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Very brief review from the Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/enter...t-the-vault-3348930.html
thanks 2 users thanked steven for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/01/2013(UTC), Cranelane on 14/01/2013(UTC)
is it bro  
#441 Posted : 14 January 2013 06:54:08(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Ive only heard the snippets from itunes but i thought some tracks sounded great. and decent vocals from the barnster.

i got the mp3 album off amazon for £3.99 and look forward to hearing them in full.
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
is it bro  
#442 Posted : 14 January 2013 10:08:44(UTC)
is it bro

After first listen I was quite impressed.

The signs weren't good to start with. Ill stay with you sounds identical to here to stay musically. And it starts "hey you".

I'm sure after a few listens these songs will stay in my head.
UpDownTurnAround  
#443 Posted : 14 January 2013 11:00:42(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround

Man

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Six listens and I now think the Lost Sirens is excellent.

If the best of this had been mixed with the best of Waiting For then we would have had one seriously s*&t hot album!
thanks 2 users thanked UpDownTurnAround for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/01/2013(UTC), Cranelane on 14/01/2013(UTC)
Isi  
#444 Posted : 14 January 2013 11:12:44(UTC)
Isi

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Just had my first listen and its alright, I told you so is a genuine surprise. i really like this new version
I was expecting it, but some of barney's lyrics are bloody awful. I think he was in a bigger lyrical slump in 2005 than even on Raise the Pressure. Are the lyrics to the first two tracks unfinished? Or are they the best he could do?
"I haven't time to sympathise, with all this nonsense and your lies"
thanks 1 user thanked Isi for this useful post.
is it bro  
#445 Posted : 14 January 2013 13:31:59(UTC)
is it bro

I don't think the lyrics are as bad as raise the pressure (where many songs had the same lines or very similar). But I admit some on lost sirens are rather....er....clunky and clumsy sounding. Maybe Barney ran out of things to say as he revisits common themes a lot (eg someone fame driven who's lost touch with reality, bad relationship but can't live without the other person). Maybe Steve could have an input Lyrically.

The highlight for me is barneys voice. Very consistent and in tune throughout. Better than get ready, wtfsc and ncat for me. Barney was quoted before as saying many of these songs were left of as sounding too much like the killers (not sure about that).

Personally I only like hey Joe, hywyd, giaue and turn off wtfsc. The rest are just filler to me and the album as a whole is too produced and my least face of all new Order albums (after movement).
M1  
#446 Posted : 14 January 2013 13:39:02(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
poorshakes wrote:
I was expecting it, but some of barney's lyrics are bloody awful. I think he was in a bigger lyrical slump in 2005 than even on Raise the Pressure. Are the lyrics to the first two tracks unfinished? Or are they the best he could do?

Agreed. We love NO despite and because of their limitations, but seriously, it's hard to believe a man of that vintage and experience (a certified Godlike Genius no less) can sign off on those 'will-this-do?' kinds of lyrics.

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but apart from the nice syllabification opportunities it provides, what actually is Californian Grass? Is it a pot reference - surely not? Is it a metaphor for a nice place to relax in the sun? Or is it, just, you know, don't analyse things too much...maaan. And what's he buying for a few dollars more at the grocery store (*blush*)? I can't make it out. A drink?

Ace track though :)
thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
M1  
#447 Posted : 14 January 2013 13:42:58(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Kelvin wrote:

I just wish that the bass wasn't so low in the mix, Republic style, on the best tracks. Shame really.

I thought it was just because of the crappy You Tube-ripped quality I downloaded (vinyl is on it's way!), but it seems the bass really is mixed that low. That's a real pity on a few tracks where some really decent bass lines are buried way down low. Conscious decision? And if so, by whom?

Edited by user 14 January 2013 13:43:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
Cranelane  
#448 Posted : 14 January 2013 14:03:36(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
M1 wrote:
Sorry if I missed it earlier, but apart from the nice syllabification opportunities it provides, what actually is Californian Grass? Is it a pot reference - surely not? Is it a metaphor for a nice place to relax in the sun? Or is it, just, you know, don't analyse things too much...maaan. And what's he buying for a few dollars more at the grocery store (*blush*)? I can't make it out. A drink?

Ace track though :)

Maybe the line "for a few dollars more" is meant as a reference to Ennio Morricone who I think has been in the past mentioned as an influence on the band..
thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/01/2013(UTC)
Kelvin  
#449 Posted : 14 January 2013 14:04:33(UTC)
Kelvin

Glad it wasn't just me that noticed how low the bass is in the mix.

Also, who mixed "Hellbent" for Total? It sounds far better than this version. Shame they didn't get to mix this release.

Barney's voice does sound great on most of this. Reminds me of his surprisingly lovely version of In The Ghetto. Especially on Californian Grass.

Edited by user 14 January 2013 14:09:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2013(UTC)
Kelvin  
#450 Posted : 14 January 2013 14:16:20(UTC)
Kelvin

I'm sure someone will now tell me that both versions of Hellbent are the same now, and I'll think I'm going mad...