logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<1415161718>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cranelane  
#376 Posted : 07 January 2013 14:40:24(UTC)
Cranelane

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Linus Solanki wrote:
You can listen to the album in full here.

<LINK REMOVED>

Hey Linus,
Why don't you wake up and stop what you're doing right now.. No
thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/01/2013(UTC)
Debaser  
#377 Posted : 07 January 2013 16:02:32(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3015 time(s) in 2077 post(s)
M1 wrote:

In fact, I'm totally shocked how much I am enjoying this album. There's nothing that's utterly essential but there's also nothing that makes me cringe, and that I can't say about WFTSC, their worst album by a long stretch IMO.

I'm totally shocked by the number of positive comments on here. I did my fair share of moaning about wanting to hear these tracks on the old forum. So on the plus side: Hurrah, here they are!
On the not-so-plus side, I don't think there's anything on here as good as WFTSC, Krafty or Turn. I was hoping for something that would get me excited, but so far they all feel about as exciting as Hellbent did when it first appeared. I do have a soft spot for the Stuart Price mix of I Told You So, though now we have it on CD it appears to be slightly truncated which is a shame (and with more bluesy guitar in the latter stages too i think - so technically I guess it is a different mix).

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/01/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#378 Posted : 07 January 2013 16:47:43(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Debaser wrote:
M1 wrote:

In fact, I'm totally shocked how much I am enjoying this album. There's nothing that's utterly essential but there's also nothing that makes me cringe, and that I can't say about WFTSC, their worst album by a long stretch IMO.

I'm totally shocked by the number of positive comments on here. I did my fair share of moaning about wanting to hear these tracks on the old forum. So on the plus side: Hurrah, here they are!
On the not-so-plus side, I don't think there's anything on here as good as WFTSC, Krafty or Turn. I was hoping for something that would get me excited, but so far they all feel about as exciting as Hellbent did when it first appeared. I do have a soft spot for the Stuart Price mix of I Told You So, though now we have it on CD it appears to be slightly truncated which is a shame (and with more bluesy guitar in the latter stages too i think - so technically I guess it is a different mix).

I didn't like every song I've previewed, but it's better than I thought. I would be shocked if most responses (among the fans) were extremely negative. Maybe you think these songs aren't as good as the songs you mentioned, but quite a few of these songs are much better than certain other New Order songs, such as 'Jetstream', 'Working Overtime', 'Turn My Way' or 'Rock the Shack'. (I think those four songs are some of the worst New Order songs ever.) I would say 'Sugarcane' is almost equal quality to 'Krafty', and 'Shake it Up', is much better than Jetstream, IMO. Ironically, Hellbent, is one of my least faves.

Edited by user 07 January 2013 16:50:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Jim  
#379 Posted : 07 January 2013 17:33:48(UTC)
Jim

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
I don't get the Turn my way hate? Must be a regional thing. I think most North Americans like the song as everywhere else hates it. As for Lost Sirens, I'll stay with you is a instant NO classic. Some people may not like the lyrics to Sugarcane, but I's a great song. And I've got a feeling is the biggest surprise for me on how much I love it. The rest could be up to debate.
thanks 1 user thanked Jim for this useful post.
M1  
#380 Posted : 07 January 2013 18:06:00(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Jim wrote:
I don't get the Turn my way hate? Must be a regional thing. I think most North Americans like the song as everywhere else hates it. As for Lost Sirens, I'll stay with you is a instant NO classic. Some people may not like the lyrics to Sugarcane, but I's a great song. And I've got a feeling is the biggest surprise for me on how much I love it. The rest could be up to debate.

Love Turn My Way - and I'm only a temporary North American promise ;-)

But those other 3 are howlers for sure
thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/01/2013(UTC)
gerboy  
#381 Posted : 07 January 2013 18:09:12(UTC)
gerboy

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 33 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:

but quite a few of these songs are much better than certain other New Order songs, such as 'Jetstream', 'Working Overtime', 'Turn My Way' or 'Rock the Shack'. (I think those four songs are some of the worst New Order songs ever.

'Turn My Way' is one of New Order greatest tunes, easily the best song on Get Ready.
Can't believe you put it with the others No
thanks 1 user thanked gerboy for this useful post.
Eimi  
#382 Posted : 07 January 2013 18:21:10(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

gerboy wrote:
leather-girl wrote:

but quite a few of these songs are much better than certain other New Order songs, such as 'Jetstream', 'Working Overtime', 'Turn My Way' or 'Rock the Shack'. (I think those four songs are some of the worst New Order songs ever.

'Turn My Way' is one of New Order greatest tunes, easily the best song on Get Ready.
Can't believe you put it with the others No

I think Billy Corgan ruined that song....some other songs on 'Get Ready', such as 'Crystal', 'Someone Like You' etc are much better than 'Turn My Way' IMO. I'm not saying the songs on Lost Sirens are masterpieces; but they are much more listenable and likeable than some other NO songs.

Edited by user 07 January 2013 18:24:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eimi  
#383 Posted : 07 January 2013 18:23:40(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Jim wrote:

I don't like Billy Corgan or the Smashing Pumpkins, and even without him, I still think the song itself is only a so-so song. So I think it was a so-so song that was turned into a piece of rubbish with Billy Corgan on it. But regarding Lost Sirens, I do agree that 'I've got a feeling' is surprisingly decent.
Cranelane  
#384 Posted : 07 January 2013 23:33:58(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Jim wrote:
I don't get the Turn my way hate? Must be a regional thing. I think most North Americans like the song as everywhere else hates it.

Turn My Way is favourite of mine from the post 2000 period also, I don't have a problem with Billy Corgans vocals on it but there is a version out there somewhere which doesn't feature his contribution,
it was part of the Get Ready demos that popped up on the old forum a while back..

I think the Corgan collaboration was more successful than the one with the Scissor Sister person..Tongue
thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
World Domination: Complete  
#385 Posted : 08 January 2013 00:58:44(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:
Jim wrote:
I don't get the Turn my way hate? Must be a regional thing. I think most North Americans like the song as everywhere else hates it.

Turn My Way is favourite of mine from the post 2000 period also, I don't have a problem with Billy Corgans vocals on it but there is a version out there somewhere which doesn't feature his contribution,
it was part of the Get Ready demos that popped up on the old forum a while back..

I think the Corgan collaboration was more successful than the one with the Scissor Sister person..Tongue

J E T with the hamster dance on Jonathan Ross is the pinnacle of the bands career
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
hunkydo  
#386 Posted : 08 January 2013 02:28:23(UTC)
hunkydo

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey, wake up !

Just listen to this collection of... rubb... :)
Very disappointing isn't it ?

These would have been lost for good.

Very poor production, artistically empty, not finished work.
It's not a record, it's Just a collection of poor demos, not the level of these famous boys.

Finally, the bad lieutenant's record was more interesting and sounds a good one compare to that... thing ???

Just to release that to get some more money from the good fans is definitively the wrongest way to stay.
Shame on the management, the label and the band.

thanks 1 user thanked hunkydo for this useful post.
François-Marc  
#387 Posted : 08 January 2013 02:53:36(UTC)
François-Marc

Groups: Moderators, Registered

Was thanked: 236 time(s) in 214 post(s)
hunkydo wrote:

It's not like if someone forced you to buy it, right?

Edited by user 08 January 2013 02:54:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked François-Marc for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#388 Posted : 08 January 2013 03:26:49(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:

I don't think Turn My Way was a "collaboration" in the truest sense of the word though. The track was clearly fully formed and recorded well before Corgan appeared as the "Shipwreck" mix shows. Add to that there's no Corgan co-write credit for the song on the Get Ready sleeve. Ana Matronic at least has a co-write credit on Jetstream.

Corgan's vocals have always been divisive and personally I'm in the "not my cup of tea" group. The bit where him and Bernard "duet" on the "drank in every bar in town" bit make my toes curl every time. Otherwise, it's musically and creatively not a bad song; I warmed to it a whole lot more after hearing the "Shipwreck" mix sans Corgan. Bernard's lone vocal is much nicer.

All subjective though innit.
thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/01/2013(UTC), Mike C. on 08/01/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#389 Posted : 08 January 2013 04:28:10(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

NotAMod wrote:
Cranelane wrote:

I don't think Turn My Way was a "collaboration" in the truest sense of the word though. The track was clearly fully formed and recorded well before Corgan appeared as the "Shipwreck" mix shows. Add to that there's no Corgan co-write credit for the song on the Get Ready sleeve. Ana Matronic at least has a co-write credit on Jetstream.

Corgan's vocals have always been divisive and personally I'm in the "not my cup of tea" group. The bit where him and Bernard "duet" on the "drank in every bar in town" bit make my toes curl every time. Otherwise, it's musically and creatively not a bad song; I warmed to it a whole lot more after hearing the "Shipwreck" mix sans Corgan. Bernard's lone vocal is much nicer.

All subjective though innit.

Agree that it's subjective.
No Barcode  
#390 Posted : 08 January 2013 04:44:22(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
At sunset I went to the beach to relax with a bottle of wine and Lost Sirens in my headphones. I had a great time. Melancholy filled up the beach as the evening sun touched the horizon. Failed surfers and thievish accountants reached to their cocktail glasses but the despair was unquenchable. Lost Sirens is a perfect dusk record. The album really grows on me.
thanks 2 users thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/01/2013(UTC), vince@LA on 08/01/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#391 Posted : 08 January 2013 05:16:01(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
Amazon in the US is offering the mp3 download from Jan 11

http://www.amazon.com/Lo...amp;keywords=lost+sirens
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/01/2013(UTC), NewOrderFan1990 on 08/01/2013(UTC)
Johnny James  
#392 Posted : 08 January 2013 05:18:15(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
hunkydo wrote:
Hey, wake up !

It's not a record, it's Just a collection of poor demos, not the level of these famous boys.

Finally, the bad lieutenant's record was more interesting and sounds a good one compare to that... thing ???

Just to release that to get some more money from the good fans is definitively the wrongest way to stay.

Ha ha, great first post!

I don't know where to even begin....
thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Eimi  
#393 Posted : 08 January 2013 05:23:11(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

hunkydo wrote:
Hey, wake up !

Troll...? Although the reactions are mixed on these boards, at least their criticism is sincere. You've caught me at a bad time. So why don't you piss off.
thanks 2 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/01/2013(UTC), Jailbait Spider on 09/01/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#394 Posted : 08 January 2013 05:35:55(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:
hunkydo wrote:
Hey, wake up !

Troll...? Although the reactions are mixed on these boards, at least their criticism is sincere. You've caught me at a bad time. So why don't you piss off.

Lost Sirens is not bad as people are making it out to be, if NO never broke up they would have made this album much better by going back to the studio and working on it , but that is not the case, these songs are still good but not classics like their other ones.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#395 Posted : 08 January 2013 05:43:54(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Linus Solanki wrote:
Lost Sirens is not bad as people are making it out to be, if NO never broke up they would have made this album much better by going back to the studio and working on it , but that is not the case, these songs are still good but not classics like their other ones.

Not entirely sure they'd have made it 'much better' but they certainly wouldn't have released this. I like the production here, sounds a lot more 'raw' than recent offerings - I fear if they'd had spent more time on this album they'd have dumbed it down considerably and probably drowned it in a lot more bells & whistles.

Then again, more time spent on this might've removed some of the repetition - Shake It Up is a good two minutes too long, as if they'd got something very basic to work with and just kept repeating stuff ad infinitum.

thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#396 Posted : 08 January 2013 06:31:26(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
El Jarvo wrote:
Linus Solanki wrote:

Not entirely sure they'd have made it 'much better' but they certainly wouldn't have released this. I like the production here, sounds a lot more 'raw' than recent offerings - I fear if they'd had spent more time on this album they'd have dumbed it down considerably and probably drowned it in a lot more bells & whistles.

Then again, more time spent on this might've removed some of the repetition - Shake It Up is a good two minutes too long, as if they'd got something very basic to work with and just kept repeating stuff ad infinitum.

Nice comment Al. Thought it was me writing that Big Grin
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
Ben  
#397 Posted : 08 January 2013 12:27:24(UTC)
Ben

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
First post on the new forum... I wasn't arsed to find out how to retrieve my password after the move, considering the lack of interesting NO news. I've listened to the lost tracks today, only once so it's still too early to form an opinion, but I must say that I was positively impressed by the new mix of I Told You So. I've always considered
1) this song to be crap
2) Stuart Price to produce shit.

However, it seems that crap + shit can sometimes lead to something good. This version of ITYS is very reminiscent of Velvet Underground's I'm Set Free, and I like it a lot! A very good surprise, and one that I would never have expected.
thanks 1 user thanked Ben for this useful post.
markreed  
#398 Posted : 08 January 2013 12:37:38(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
I've listened to it several times today and it is ... underwhelming as is. poorly sequenced, and not helped by the abundance of mid-paced songs in the middle that make the album drag. I spliced in some of the Control tracks and padded out to 11 songs/43m.41s.

1. Hypnosis (edited speech at beginning/end)
2. I'll Stay With You
3. Shake It Up
4. I've Got A Feeling
5. Hellbent
6. Get Out (edited shouting at beginning)
7. Californian Grass
8. Recoil
9. Sugarcane
10. I Told You So
11. Exit

Some of the mixes seem a little unfinished and the song titles are a little obvious - I'd say 95% done - but perhaps occasionally a bar or two too long and / or fading instead of a proper finish, and probably the least satisfactory LP-length product since the Factus 8 1981-82 EP, but still, worth our time and attentiona nd I am glad it is finally out.
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
Johnny James  
#399 Posted : 08 January 2013 13:21:24(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
Quote:
This version of ITYS is very reminiscent of Velvet Underground's I'm Set Free, and I like it a lot!

Surely you mean 'All Tomorrow's Parties'?
thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Biginoil  
#400 Posted : 08 January 2013 14:25:47(UTC)
Biginoil

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I really like it.

Ner ner ner ner ner
thanks 1 user thanked Biginoil for this useful post.