logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<1213141516>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
johndemetry  
#326 Posted : 06 January 2013 07:30:25(UTC)
johndemetry

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
The way I hear it: a loooot of Barney's lyrics are directed at Hooky, as if he's calling: "Don't crash into those rocks!!"

It makes the counterpoint of Barney's guitar and Hooky's high bass all the more poignant--for being the last time we will ever hear it.

Frown

Edited by user 06 January 2013 07:49:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked johndemetry for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/01/2013(UTC)
NewOrderFan1990  
#327 Posted : 06 January 2013 07:45:32(UTC)
NewOrderFan1990

Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I'll Stay With You and Californian Grass are excellent songs. Shake it Up starts out with a lot of promise but becomes a little cheesy, but it still isn't bad. Sugarcane isn't what I expected it would be, but I like it. I've got a feeling is also a really great song. Recoil is okay, not really my favorite. I Told You So and Hellbent are okay songs, are not the best. Personally I'll Stay With You is the best song on this album, and it could be a single.
thanks 1 user thanked NewOrderFan1990 for this useful post.
Volturno  
#328 Posted : 06 January 2013 08:06:01(UTC)
Volturno

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
johndemetry wrote:
The way I hear it: a loooot of Barney's lyrics are directed at Hooky, as if he's calling: "Don't crash into those rocks!!"

It makes the counterpoint of Barney's guitar and Hooky's high bass all the more poignant--for being the last time we will ever hear it.

Frown

That's Bernard's writing style. Most NO songs that talk about love/relationships are written as if he was talking directly to the person.
But yes, feels bad to know this is the last New Order record.
thanks 1 user thanked Volturno for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#329 Posted : 06 January 2013 08:58:04(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1049 time(s) in 658 post(s)
Volturno wrote:

How so?

New Order confirm they will begin work on new material in early 2013.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Volturno  
#330 Posted : 06 January 2013 09:03:11(UTC)
Volturno

NotAMod wrote:
Volturno wrote:

How so?

As much as I wish them well, Tom Chapman can barely play Close Range, let alone fill Hooky's shoes.
NotAMod  
#331 Posted : 06 January 2013 09:22:57(UTC)
NotAMod

Volturno wrote:
NotAMod wrote:
Volturno wrote:

How so?

As much as I wish them well, Tom Chapman can barely play Close Range, let alone fill Hooky's shoes.

Err seems fair, hang the guy out to dry after fluffing one relatively obscure album track while ignoring the countless other songs he's played spot on.

It's not just some fans saying he's played those other songs well, the gig and festival reviews noted his performances in favourable terms.

I too think it's very sad Hooky felt he could no longer work with Bernard and Stephen but lambasting Chapman seems a bit boring really.

If they're going to attempt something new and creative then I think that should be encouraged.

Same goes for whatever The Light choose to do if they decide to start writing.

Edited by user 06 January 2013 09:23:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

No Barcode  
#332 Posted : 06 January 2013 09:59:19(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Fucking hell... listening to the album on YouTube. Way more interesting approach to song arrangements than on WFTSC! It's a pity it was not released hot off the press back in 2007. Even more bitter is the fact that they could have made their best album after Technique by selecting the songs more carefully for the 2005 LP.

* Half a minute I was not sure that 'I've Got a Feeling' is actually New Order, I thought I got trapped into some youtube shit, really.
* 'Shake It Up' reminded me of 'Rock the Shack' and eh the Spice Girls. Nice guitar work.
* The beautiful melancholy of 'Recoil' seems like a good direction for NO.
* Never have I thought I would see a NO record with a song title like 'Sugarcane'. And yet it is the best tune here. I freaking love it!!! The proper candidate for a single release (just rename this shit, 'Sugarcane'). BTW, whom does he address here? Himself?
* "Hey you...!" Really? 'I'll Stat with You' is pretty good though, sounds like a track right off WFTSC. Hooky's bass brings lovely sadness to the song.
* I never cared for 'I Told You So' on WFTSC and unfortunately the remix doesn't improve it, instead it's even more tedious now.

Awesome record, all in all! Definitely going to buy it, once I get back to the States.

Barney becomes quite a folk sort of singer with every passing year. The cover version of 'In the Ghetto' would perfectly fit Lost Sirens, were it not done by BL, what a waste.

P.S. Whoever suggested including Control tracks... they would be really off the mark here. They are not proper songs, they're short and atmospheric. If they served as interludes between songs... maybe, but that would be a concept album then.

Edited by user 06 January 2013 10:02:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#333 Posted : 06 January 2013 10:09:31(UTC)
NotAMod

No Barcode wrote:
Even more bitter is the fact that they could have made their best album after Technique by selecting the songs more carefully for the 2005 LP.

Taste is subjective and all... but better than Low-Life and Power, Corruption & Lies?
No Barcode  
#334 Posted : 06 January 2013 10:15:38(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
NotAMod wrote:
No Barcode wrote:
Even more bitter is the fact that they could have made their best album after Technique by selecting the songs more carefully for the 2005 LP.

Taste is subjective and all... but better than Low-Life and Power, Corruption & Lies?

After as being subsequent in time, not in quality Smile
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#335 Posted : 06 January 2013 10:27:39(UTC)
NotAMod

Ah fair dos, well with Get Ready that would have more even competition Smile
almanso  
#336 Posted : 06 January 2013 10:28:11(UTC)
almanso

Man

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
let's remind these are leftovers from a not so great album so I wasn't expecting much. and I wasn't wrong, they're not very good. there's a reason why songs don't get released. very few times they're ace songs but don't fit in the album atmosphere. if this is the case they're released as singles rigth away. but most of the times they're part of the process of an album. these songs show clearly that. there're many parts that sound like part of the songs already released. and this isn't bad, it's what happens when you're writing an album. the same happened to the first Let's Go which had bits of Sooner Than You Think and that's why it didn't see the light until much later and in another form. as a musician myself I know sometimes you have small ideas that work well, in a song that doesn't work at all. so maybe you try them in another song that works much better. so if you release that first song not only you're releasing something that you didn't like in the first place but also that seems to be ripping off yourself. and that's the problem with Lost Sirens. the few good moments were already heard in WFTSC. the rest... well, mostly forgettable (if not embarrasing like Shake it Up Skeptic) including some of Barney's worst lyrics ever.

another thought. I really think BadLt started earlier than I thought. clearly the whole WFTSC era is "Barney & friends" to me. Hooky barely appears in all his dimension. most of the tracks sound to me as if he was alone writing them and then sharing with the rest as "I want you to play this". I hear Hooky, I hear Steve, I hear Phil but not the band. they sound like guest musicians to me and that's the saddest thing. next NO album will be another proof of that, I'm afraid. I hope I'm wrong....
thanks 2 users thanked almanso for this useful post.
Volturno on 06/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 06/01/2013(UTC)
Volturno  
#337 Posted : 06 January 2013 10:29:00(UTC)
Volturno

NotAMod wrote:
Volturno wrote:
NotAMod wrote:
Volturno wrote:

How so?

Err seems fair, hang the guy out to dry after fluffing one relatively obscure album track while ignoring the countless other songs he's played spot on.

It's not just some fans saying he's played those other songs well, the gig and festival reviews noted his performances in favourable terms.

I too think it's very sad Hooky felt he could no longer work with Bernard and Stephen but lambasting Chapman seems a bit boring really.

If they're going to attempt something new and creative then I think that should be encouraged.

Same goes for whatever The Light choose to do if they decide to start writing.

I didn't mean to simply bash him, it was an example. I don't know if Chapman wrote Bad Lieutenant's basslines, but that was sans-Hooky and nothing memorable IMO.
I'm sure good songs will come out of it, but it's obvious that it won't be worthy of the name. Sugarcane barely has Hooky's input and it's a great song, but you can't call a bunch of Twist of Fates and Sink or Swims "New Order".
NotAMod  
#338 Posted : 06 January 2013 11:24:04(UTC)
NotAMod

Volturno wrote:
...you can't call a bunch of Twist of Fates and Sink or Swims "New Order".

I don't think anybody does call them "New Order". Those are Bad Lieutenant songs written by Bernard, Phil and Jake Evans.

Chapman had one co-write on the Bad Lieutenant album; "Running Out Of Luck" I believe.

This line-up of New Order is Bernard, Stephen, Gillian, Phil and Tom Chapman.

75% of the original 1981-1998 New Order line-up are in there depending on how much you value each member (me? always equally).

This debate could run and run but I'll wait to hear what they come up with before deciding what's worthy of the name or not.

Seems only fair.
the_blank_from_hell  
#339 Posted : 06 January 2013 12:29:25(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
No Barcode wrote:

01 Who’s Joe?
02 I’ll Stay With You
03 Waiting for the Sirens‘ Call
04 Sugarcane
05 Californian Grass

06 Krafty
07 Hellbent
08 Morning Night and Day
09 Guilt is a Useless Emotion
10 Turn

?
thanks 1 user thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#340 Posted : 06 January 2013 12:38:15(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
I heard Idiot Country during Shake It Up, didn't you?
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
the_blank_from_hell  
#341 Posted : 06 January 2013 12:40:02(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Big Mouth Julio wrote:

to me it's more like an update to the studio version of "Ultraviolence"
thanks 1 user thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
Mick Aneworderfan  
#342 Posted : 06 January 2013 14:15:29(UTC)
Mick Aneworderfan

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hey hey, what's up people, been a long time. Heard all the songs and I really like the most of them. I adore the original reggaeton version of I Told You So, this Velvet-ish version doesn't do much for me. Actually I'll Stay With You and especially Californian Grass are some of their best songs of the last 20 years.
I really liked Waiting For The Sirens Call when it was released, but got bored with some of the tracks so yes, a much better album would have been made by choosing the best tracks from Sirens and Lost Sirens:

I Told You So (single)
Hey Now What You Doing
I'll Stay With You (single)
Morning Night And Day
Californian Grass (single)
Jetstream
Hellbent
Guilt Is A Useless Emotion (remixed promo for clubs)
I've Got A Feeling
Turn
Sugarcane

How does it feel?
Hi
thanks 1 user thanked Mick Aneworderfan for this useful post.
Bill  
#343 Posted : 06 January 2013 14:32:11(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Unsurprisingly, most songs are b sides at best, maybe not even that.I'll Stay With You and Californian Grass may just have scraped onto WFTSC in the place of Draculas Castle and Working Overtime or Jetstream.How anybody can say Shake It Up or I've Got A Feeling are good songs is totally beyond me.Still, glad to have finally been able to hear the songs and form an opinion on them. Will of course buy the Vinyl or CD when i finally can but can't imagine it'll get many plays.Possibly the most uninspiring set of songs i've heard in a long long time.If it wasn't New Order they would never get a second listen.I only listened to them again to try and find something i like. Californian Grass probably does the most for me but that's about it.

Can hear distant echoes of Hooky's bass parts from All Day Long on I've Got A Feeling but that doesn't save the song.
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#344 Posted : 06 January 2013 14:49:52(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
Thanks But No Thanks wrote:
Unsurprisingly, most songs are b sides at best, maybe not even that.I'll Stay With You and Californian Grass may just have scraped onto WFTSC in the place of Draculas Castle and Working Overtime or Jetstream.How anybody can say Shake It Up or I've Got A Feeling are good songs is totally beyond me.Still, glad to have finally been able to hear the songs and form an opinion on them. Will of course buy the Vinyl or CD when i finally can but can't imagine it'll get many plays.Possibly the most uninspiring set of songs i've heard in a long long time.If it wasn't New Order they would never get a second listen.I only listened to them again to try and find something i like. Californian Grass probably does the most for me but that's about it.

Can hear distant echoes of Hooky's bass parts from All Day Long on I've Got A Feeling but that doesn't save the song.

Haven't Bernard ever noticed that this title is the same as a Monaco song? A very nice one indeed! Great Pottsy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFD0tbpK85k

Edited by user 06 January 2013 15:02:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
gerboy  
#345 Posted : 06 January 2013 14:59:34(UTC)
gerboy

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Thanks But No Thanks wrote:

I'm actually starting to really like 'Ive Got A Feeling', Bernards singing reminds me of The Lightning Seeds.

Edited by user 06 January 2013 15:01:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked gerboy for this useful post.
Jake A  
#346 Posted : 06 January 2013 15:27:46(UTC)
Jake A

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 35 post(s)
My only worry with Lost Sirens is that it detracts from the new album (that may or may not be). Their currency as a band is higher than its been for a decade thanks to last year's relentless touring and I would hate anyone who is returning to New Order to buy this album on the back of that success because feck me, they wouldn't buy another "new" New Order album if they did. Lets be honest, this is one for the hardcore only.
thanks 1 user thanked Jake A for this useful post.
Ryan  
#347 Posted : 06 January 2013 16:01:24(UTC)
Ryan

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Would someone kindly "help" me out too please? Only fake torrents up at the moment & no official download anywhere yet.
"Watching love grow, forever. Letting me know, forever."
thanks 1 user thanked Ryan for this useful post.
blunt laser  
#348 Posted : 06 January 2013 16:35:13(UTC)
blunt laser

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 55 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked blunt laser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/01/2013(UTC)
blunt laser  
#349 Posted : 06 January 2013 16:38:10(UTC)
blunt laser

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 55 post(s)
I must admit after quite a few plays the only tracks i really like are Californian Grass and I'll Stay With You. Sugarcane could have been good but the verse is total shit!
thanks 1 user thanked blunt laser for this useful post.
Jcp7  
#350 Posted : 06 January 2013 16:43:21(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 644 time(s) in 540 post(s)
Big Mouth Julio wrote:

Nod
thanks 1 user thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.