logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<1314151617>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
johndemetry  
#351 Posted : 06 January 2013 16:49:24(UTC)
johndemetry

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I must be alone. This album is really sending me.

On the sublime "I've Got a Feeling," Barney calls out: "Yours was the love I got to know!" Which is followed by his thrashing guitar in counterpoint with Hooky's high bassline. wowzers. This is the SOUND of "the love I got to know." It's devastating.

Edited by user 06 January 2013 19:01:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked johndemetry for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/01/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#352 Posted : 06 January 2013 22:12:43(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
NotAMod wrote:
Volturno wrote:
But yes, feels bad to know this is the last New Order record.

How so?

New Order confirm they will begin work on new material in early 2013.

Maybe he means the 'last New Order record' with Hooky... anyway, glad Lost Sirens is getting a release, and hopeful for new material. I don't care if Hooky or his fans think it's not 'New Order' any more---I disagree with Hooky and his fans.
thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Eimi  
#353 Posted : 06 January 2013 22:16:37(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Big Mouth Julio wrote:
I heard Idiot Country during Shake It Up, didn't you?

A little bit of Shake it Up (the rhythm?)reminds me of Idiot Country....
No Barcode  
#354 Posted : 06 January 2013 22:30:23(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
almanso wrote:
let's remind these are leftovers from a not so great album so I wasn't expecting much. and I wasn't wrong, they're not very good. there's a reason why songs don't get released. very few times they're ace songs but don't fit in the album atmosphere. if this is the case they're released as singles rigth away. but most of the times they're part of the process of an album. these songs show clearly that. there're many parts that sound like part of the songs already released.

That would be the case if they were demos, as the 1985 Let's Go was. Barney writes lyrics in the last moment when a song is wholly formed and practically recorded as we can tell by the Technique demos. The band members said they were aware of the abundance of recorded material and consciously planned to release the rest on their follow-up album. We all know New Order rarely recorded a vocal track without intention to release it, hence there are no "unreleased" songs found so far. But I hear you about the similarities with other songs off WFTSC. I also have a feeling that NO now are indeed Barney & Friends, Barney always being a studio dictator (I may be wrong).
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
Eimi  
#355 Posted : 06 January 2013 22:43:43(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

'Sugarcane' is surprisingly growing on me...it's such a pop oriented song; the melodies of the chorus and the way Bernard sings is so adorable. Smile

Edited by user 06 January 2013 22:46:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eimi  
#356 Posted : 06 January 2013 22:47:26(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

No Barcode wrote:
almanso wrote:
let's remind these are leftovers from a not so great album so I wasn't expecting much. and I wasn't wrong, they're not very good. there's a reason why songs don't get released. very few times they're ace songs but don't fit in the album atmosphere. if this is the case they're released as singles rigth away. but most of the times they're part of the process of an album. these songs show clearly that. there're many parts that sound like part of the songs already released.

That would be the case if they were demos, as the 1985 Let's Go was. Barney writes lyrics in the last moment when a song is wholly formed and practically recorded as we can tell by the Technique demos. The band members said they were aware of the abundance of recorded material and consciously planned to release the rest on their follow-up album. We all know New Order rarely recorded a vocal track without intention to release it, hence there are no "unreleased" songs found so far. But I hear you about the similarities with other songs off WFTSC. I also have a feeling that NO now are indeed Barney & Friends, Barney always being a studio dictator (I may be wrong).

New Order are New Order....not 'Bernard and his mates'. No
Ryan  
#357 Posted : 07 January 2013 00:31:06(UTC)
Ryan

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 25 post(s)
OK found it. Love Bernard's deeper vocals at the beginning of Californian Grass!
"Watching love grow, forever. Letting me know, forever."
thanks 1 user thanked Ryan for this useful post.
Eimi  
#358 Posted : 07 January 2013 03:12:38(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

About 'Shake it Up'....the funky guitars remind me a bit of songs like 'Reality' or 'Idiot Country' by Electronic, the synth bass reminds me of 'Round and Round', and the backing chorus reminds me of 'Confusion'. Also, as for 'Sugarcane', the pop-ness reminds me of songs from PSB's 2009 album 'Yes'.
thanks 2 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/01/2013(UTC), Cranelane on 07/01/2013(UTC)
blunt laser  
#359 Posted : 07 January 2013 03:18:39(UTC)
blunt laser

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 55 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:
About 'Shake it Up'....the funky guitars remind me a bit of songs like 'Reality' or 'Idiot Country' by Electronic, the synth bass reminds me of 'Round and Round', and the backing chorus reminds me of 'Confusion'. Also, as for 'Sugarcane', the pop-ness reminds me of songs from PSB's 2009 album 'Yes'.

Shake It Up reminds me of an electronic Rock the Shack unfortunately...
thanks 1 user thanked blunt laser for this useful post.
No Barcode  
#360 Posted : 07 January 2013 03:22:13(UTC)
No Barcode

Has anyone noticed how most songs on Lost Sirens fade out? Seems like they postponed the proper mixing of the song endings and it was never done.
Eimi  
#361 Posted : 07 January 2013 03:22:43(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

blunt laser wrote:
leather-girl wrote:

Shake It Up reminds me of an electronic Rock the Shack unfortunately...

haha!
Linus Solanki  
#362 Posted : 07 January 2013 04:25:20(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
After listening to the album couple of times.

Hellbent sounds better on the TOTAL version than on Lost Sirens, you can tell they they edited that song and beefed it up, I wished that they did that to the rest of the songs.

Recoil is a good song but the instrumental at the ends goes on forever, they should have taken a minute off that song.

same thing with Shake it up, in the end of the chours goes on forever, they should have taken a minute off that song also, because in the end it sounds very repetitive.

If NO were still together they would have made these songs much better by reediting them and going back to the studio to finish them but I guess that is not the case.

I'll Stay with You 4/5
Sugarcane 4/5
Recoil 3/5
Californian Grass 3/5
Hellbent 4/5
Shake It Up 2.5/5
I've Got A Feeling 3/5

so I would give this album 3.5/5
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Eimi on 07/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/01/2013(UTC)
www.neworderweb.net  
#363 Posted : 07 January 2013 05:06:38(UTC)
www.neworderweb.net

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Havent listened to them yet.

Anyone know the Cat Numbers for both vinyl & cd editions?

Need the info for the discog.

steve
thanks 1 user thanked www.neworderweb.net for this useful post.
CTB  
#364 Posted : 07 January 2013 05:12:17(UTC)
CTB

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Really surprised nobody has commented that Shake it up has a near-identical Hooky bit (near the start) to the bit at the end of Guilt is a useless emotion. Cut-and-paste job perhaps?
thanks 1 user thanked CTB for this useful post.
the_blank_from_hell  
#365 Posted : 07 January 2013 05:23:42(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
After a few listens, I must say I really like this release. I prefer the forced unpolished mix, which seems a throwback to their 80ies pre True Faith-days and give the songs more liveliness than on WFTSC. Although I wished they would have exchanged that awful preset MIDI-keyboard on "Hellbent" and "Sugarcane" with a far better sounding like on "Who's Joe" and "Dracula's Castle".

I also prefer the really good songs here (1,2,4) to the really good ones on WFTSC (1,3, a few more like Guilt and Turn were spoilt by questionable production). It's also applaudable that they still were able to cover new ground on tracks like "Sugarcane" and "Hellbent" and not tried to rewrite their back catalogue which most bands at that stage of their career do.

Edited by user 07 January 2013 05:28:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
Eimi  
#366 Posted : 07 January 2013 05:24:01(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

CTB wrote:
Really surprised nobody has commented that Shake it up has a near-identical Hooky bit (near the start) to the bit at the end of Guilt is a useless emotion. Cut-and-paste job perhaps?

I wouldn't be quick to claim it's cut and paste, but it's not surprising some elements would sound similar....
www.neworderweb.net  
#367 Posted : 07 January 2013 05:47:41(UTC)
www.neworderweb.net

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:
Nick King wrote:
NotAMod wrote:
EDIT: Bet those YouTube videos are gone in the next few days and the guy's account is toast.

Yeah, you have to wonder how many braincells were misplaced when he uploaded them? Tongue

I think it's a she actually..from Mexico..

They have all now been removed apart from Hellbent.
thanks 1 user thanked www.neworderweb.net for this useful post.
Bill  
#368 Posted : 07 January 2013 07:20:13(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Listened again to whole album on the way home today and got on better with it, even took to I've Got A Feeling- enjoyed the choruses, quite care free and optimistic. Recoil sounded alright despite sounding to my ears today like easy listening /wine bar muzak somehow

Edited by user 07 January 2013 10:22:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
No Barcode  
#369 Posted : 07 January 2013 09:11:58(UTC)
No Barcode

neworderweb.net wrote:
Cranelane wrote:
Nick King wrote:
NotAMod wrote:
EDIT: Bet those YouTube videos are gone in the next few days and the guy's account is toast.

Yeah, you have to wonder how many braincells were misplaced when he uploaded them? Tongue

I think it's a she actually..from Mexico..

They have all now been removed apart from Hellbent.

Why, they were shitty quality anyway. One can't do much with them. The album has shown up on torrents now anyway. I liked what I heard on YouTube and I will buy the record.
Linus Solanki  
#370 Posted : 07 January 2013 09:27:24(UTC)
Linus Solanki

First Review of Lost Sirens online and many more to come.

http://nbhap.com/20876/order-lost-sirens/

The story of Lost Sirens – the first NEW ORDER release with entire new material in eight years – is an intense one. It’s the story of a broken bound within the group, of reproaches, bitterness and rebirth during the time since these songs originally were recorded. Each one of these songs was produced during the sessions for Waiting For The Sirens’ Call, the final studioalbum by the band in 2005. In the aftermaths of its release bassist Peter Hook left the band in an act of irregular frustration, a public feud between the members appeared and NEW ORDER vanished in 2007 – with a huge gap especially between Hook and frontman Bernard Sumner. Three decades after they founded as influential post-punk heroes JOY DIVISION it really looked like the inglorious end of a once great institution in popular music.

In the meantime Sumner founded BAD LIEUTENANT – a new group with the remaining band members – while Hook was busy ranting about the past in public while still living from it with a lot of reissues and tribute shows where he performed the music by JOY DIVISION and NEW ORDER with other artists. Kind of ironic that it was him who prevented Lost Sirens from being published in the past. But it looks like every side has calmed down a bot by now and is ready to release this left-overs to the world on January the 14th.

Although every listener got certain expectations on the first new material by the band in ages one thing has to be made clear from the very beginning – these eight songs are all rejections from the recording sessions. Material that didn’t fit on the album, maybe because it sounded different but also because it was to poor in terms of quality. It basicly works as a reminder of the former greatness and quality of NEW ORDER, not as a solid album. Within the first seconds into opener I’ll Stay With You it feels like their departure never happened. Everything is at the right place – Stephen Morris’ precise drumplay, the soft wave guitars, Hook’s unique bass playing and the still not perfect but comforting voice of Sumner. The special new wave power, the combination of rock, pop and electronics this group once defined in the 1980s. It’s probably the best song on this EP.

The other tracks are nice as well, may it be Sugarcrane and Shake It Up with their simple dance beats or the more melodic ones like the really wonderful Californian Grass or the powerful Hellbent – which has already been released two years ago on a Best-of-album by the group. Of course, with the exception of maybe two tracks most of songs wouldn’t have fit on Waiting For The Sirens’ Call, some are just too poor for NEW ORDER‘s former quality level. Lost Sirens feels like a warm welcome of a good old friend you haven’t seen in a while but to which you connect instantly once he enters the door. And maybe that’s the best this release can do. And who knows – maybe this is not the end at all. NEW ORDER reunited for a world wide tour in 2012 and Sumner already hinted that they are actually interested in recording new material. Well, all without Hook, of course. Who ever thought it could get as excited as this again for these guys.

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
NewOrderFan1990  
#371 Posted : 07 January 2013 10:09:33(UTC)
NewOrderFan1990

Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Linus Solanki wrote:
First Review of Lost Sirens online and many more to come.

http://nbhap.com/20876/order-lost-sirens/

The story of Lost Sirens – the first NEW ORDER release with entire new material in eight years – is an intense one. It’s the story of a broken bound within the group, of reproaches, bitterness and rebirth during the time since these songs originally were recorded. Each one of these songs was produced during the sessions for Waiting For The Sirens’ Call, the final studioalbum by the band in 2005. In the aftermaths of its release bassist Peter Hook left the band in an act of irregular frustration, a public feud between the members appeared and NEW ORDER vanished in 2007 – with a huge gap especially between Hook and frontman Bernard Sumner. Three decades after they founded as influential post-punk heroes JOY DIVISION it really looked like the inglorious end of a once great institution in popular music.

In the meantime Sumner founded BAD LIEUTENANT – a new group with the remaining band members – while Hook was busy ranting about the past in public while still living from it with a lot of reissues and tribute shows where he performed the music by JOY DIVISION and NEW ORDER with other artists. Kind of ironic that it was him who prevented Lost Sirens from being published in the past. But it looks like every side has calmed down a bot by now and is ready to release this left-overs to the world on January the 14th.

Although every listener got certain expectations on the first new material by the band in ages one thing has to be made clear from the very beginning – these eight songs are all rejections from the recording sessions. Material that didn’t fit on the album, maybe because it sounded different but also because it was to poor in terms of quality. It basicly works as a reminder of the former greatness and quality of NEW ORDER, not as a solid album. Within the first seconds into opener I’ll Stay With You it feels like their departure never happened. Everything is at the right place – Stephen Morris’ precise drumplay, the soft wave guitars, Hook’s unique bass playing and the still not perfect but comforting voice of Sumner. The special new wave power, the combination of rock, pop and electronics this group once defined in the 1980s. It’s probably the best song on this EP.

The other tracks are nice as well, may it be Sugarcrane and Shake It Up with their simple dance beats or the more melodic ones like the really wonderful Californian Grass or the powerful Hellbent – which has already been released two years ago on a Best-of-album by the group. Of course, with the exception of maybe two tracks most of songs wouldn’t have fit on Waiting For The Sirens’ Call, some are just too poor for NEW ORDER‘s former quality level. Lost Sirens feels like a warm welcome of a good old friend you haven’t seen in a while but to which you connect instantly once he enters the door. And maybe that’s the best this release can do. And who knows – maybe this is not the end at all. NEW ORDER reunited for a world wide tour in 2012 and Sumner already hinted that they are actually interested in recording new material. Well, all without Hook, of course. Who ever thought it could get as excited as this again for these guys.

I don't understand why people keep calling these songs rejects that didn't make it on Waiting for the Sirens Call. They were intended to be on the NEXT album, before the band broke up. This has even been confirmed in an interview. It is really annoying when people say this.
thanks 1 user thanked NewOrderFan1990 for this useful post.
UpDownTurnAround  
#372 Posted : 07 January 2013 10:32:35(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround

Man

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Great to hear the preview on you tube- most fans (me included) have preordered and want to hear it in high quality anyway, so nothing has really been lost by posting them online- I will be really surprised if it charts above top 30 to be honest, as this album won't attract the casual fan / listener.

Have to have a few more listens, but first impressions are that there are a couple of excellent tracks and a couple of average ones; a bit like Waiting for the Siren's Call. I can hear lots of echos of older songs in these tracks, but nothing wrong with that really.

Sounds solid. Glad the waiting is over. :)
thanks 1 user thanked UpDownTurnAround for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#373 Posted : 07 January 2013 11:11:04(UTC)
Linus Solanki

You can listen to the album in full here.

<LINK REMOVED>

Edited by moderator 07 January 2013 11:35:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#374 Posted : 07 January 2013 11:38:11(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Guys can we please refrain from posting further links to Lost Sirens leaks on the forum?

The record label and the band clearly don't want it in the public domain because it's not officially out yet.

Even after it's out, it's copyrighted material and can be legally bought - we're not talking a ropey live gig lost since 1984 here.

What you do privately is obviously your own business but please keep it off the forums.

Just to be on the safe side, thanks.

Edited by user 07 January 2013 11:48:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/01/2013(UTC), JG on 07/01/2013(UTC), www.neworderweb.net on 07/01/2013(UTC), Andy on 07/01/2013(UTC)
M1  
#375 Posted : 07 January 2013 14:03:20(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:

Agreed with all the above. Every fibre of my being tells me I SHOULD hate a track like 'Shake it Up'- from the terrible title onwards - but the touches of Electronic, Confusion and even Shellshock make it work for me. I can't hear much Hooky on Sugarcane, the synth bass you mention that I do hear sounds way too slick. Can hear lots of Here to Stay on I'll Stay With You, but what a great opener.

In fact, I'm totally shocked how much I am enjoying this album. There's nothing that's utterly essential but there's also nothing that makes me cringe, and that I can't say about WFTSC, their worst album by a long stretch IMO.

As a teacher, I'd send back anyone who dared to present cack high/sky/fly poetry like this back to their desks in shame to try harder, and yeah, perhaps some of the tracks aren't quite as fully formed as they would be for a 'proper' album. But overall this has greatly surpassed my expectations. Barney's singing is at the top of his game and it's of course great to have that bass sound 'back'.

Wow, who'd have thunk it? Can't wait to get the vinyl copy.
thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.