logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

14 Pages«<34567>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ben  
#101 Posted : 10 January 2019 05:33:46(UTC)
Ben

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Very happy with this re-edition which seems promising, esp. for the unreleased video material.

Yet, there are some minor missed opportunities imo:
  • I'd prefer to have the 12" singles inside the Movement boxset, or at least to have them packaged in another box (like Depeche Mode's 12" singles re-editions)
  • It would have been nice to have the Procession 7" single re-edited here as well for the sake of completeness (but with which sleeve colour?).

thanks 2 users thanked Ben for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/01/2019(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 10/01/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#102 Posted : 10 January 2019 09:29:49(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Yep. I’d have been happier if they’d included the 12”s within the set. The DM boxes look great.

To be honest, I’d have preferred that they hadn’t mixed the formats; have one vinyl only set and one CD only set. Would’ve been nice for the CD set (and possibly the vinyl set) to have included an extra CD or two featuring all officially released single versions (7”, 12” etc.) and, maybe, the Peel Session too.

But these are just minor quibbles. That DVD just looks pure gold, and I quite like the look of the demos disc. I’m hoping that the demo version of Cries & Whispers is more like the early version that the band played in those early gigs. Just be nice to hear something a bit different.

That Hurrah’s gig footage is going to be immense (I know, I know - I keep going on about it. I’m just excited!)
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/01/2019(UTC)
Ben  
#103 Posted : 11 January 2019 01:31:09(UTC)
Ben

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
... The DM boxes look great.

I've purchased the first 4 and they do look great indeed. Special mention for the artwork. My only minor regrets are 1) they didn't foresee some additional space to insert the albums. It's good they're not selling the boxes with the albums, as those have been available for quite a long time now and many boxset buyers probably already have them, but they could have put some kind of cardboard placeholder; and 2) I would have loved to see these re-edited vinyl in the same color as the original limited color vinyl editions (when those existed) rather than plain black. Sorry, it's just me being anal Big Grin

Quote:

To be honest, I’d have preferred that they hadn’t mixed the formats; have one vinyl only set and one CD only set. Would’ve been nice for the CD set (and possibly the vinyl set) to have included an extra CD or two featuring all officially released single versions (7”, 12” etc.) and, maybe, the Peel Session too. But these are just minor quibbles. That DVD just looks pure gold, and I quite like the look of the demos disc. I’m hoping that the demo version of Cries & Whispers is more like the early version that the band played in those early gigs. Just be nice to hear something a bit different.

That Hurrah’s gig footage is going to be immense (I know, I know - I keep going on about it. I’m just excited!)

Minor quibbles indeed, and I'm excited as well!

thanks 3 users thanked Ben for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 11/01/2019(UTC), perspexorange on 11/01/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/01/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#104 Posted : 11 January 2019 11:12:20(UTC)
perspexorange

Just been having a thought about the book.
Here's hoping there's a lot of photos from back in the day.

I'd love to see a photo of 'The Inadequates'. Wonder if anyone ever took one.
ROCKET MICK on 11/01/2019(UTC)
steinomite  
#105 Posted : 17 January 2019 09:00:10(UTC)
steinomite

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Further price dip to £89.39 for the box set on Amazon UK. They also now have a packshot showing the contents of the box.

-Mike
thanks 4 users thanked steinomite for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2019(UTC), perspexorange on 17/01/2019(UTC), Fotz on 17/01/2019(UTC), Col72 on 17/01/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#106 Posted : 17 January 2019 11:33:07(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: steinomite Go to Quoted Post
Further price dip to £89.39 for the box set on Amazon UK. They also now have a packshot showing the contents of the box.

-Mike

Thanks for the heads up on the pictures.

Looks pretty nice.
ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#107 Posted : 17 January 2019 12:32:28(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Looks like a new white inner sleeve with that anvil logo.Not sure if that was ever previously available.My vinyl copy just has a see through plastic inner which has rounded corners at the bottom and which was always difficult to get back in the outer sleeve without it scrunching up.

I'll be interested to see what the book has in it.DVD will be the highlight for me.

Gave my old copy of Movement a spin the other day.It still has its moments but still feel it could have been so much better with a different production.The live versions from the era were easily superior.Doubts Even Here still great though, probably my favourite from the album.

Ceremony first version with green sleeve will be the only one of the re released singles i'll buy, don't have that one.That's of course if NewOrder store don't mess up and send me the second version.Or the first version but in the second version sleeve.Or the second version but in the first version sleeve.

Edited by user 17 January 2019 12:33:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
negative1 on 17/01/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#108 Posted : 19 January 2019 03:00:07(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
That's of course if NewOrder store don't mess up and send me the second version.Or the first version but in the second version sleeve.Or the second version but in the first version sleeve.

Talking of 'Ceremony' confusion, I've noticed Apple Music keeps messing up my library on my iPhone with this track.
Virtually all instances of the 2nd version of this track, if I try to play them on my iPhone, it plays the 1st version (even though its keeps my labelling, i.e. it plays the 1st version but calls to 2nd version). It messes up on 'Substance', 'International', the 'Recycle' remaster and another compilation that I have.

It's fine on my Mac iTunes library, as I have hard copies of the songs stored on there. It's only a problem when I try to stream my library, via Apple Music, on my iPhone. The solution would be to sync the hard copies to my device, but who can be arsed with doing that these days? (I haven't synced my iPhone in about three years).

It all adds to the confusion. In my opinion, the two versions are fairly difficult to tell the differences anyway, unless you have the two to listen to together. I can only imagine how confusing it must be for new fans, when Apple Music confuse the two.

Edit - just noticed that the 2nd version plays correctly on the 'Movement' Deluxe Edition. I'll copy that one to my playlists.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#109 Posted : 19 January 2019 12:54:57(UTC)
Fotz

Talking of 'Ceremony' confusion, I've noticed Apple Music keeps messing up my library on my iPhone with this track.
Virtually all instances of the 2nd version of this track, if I try to play them on my iPhone, it plays the 1st version (even though its keeps my labelling, i.e. it plays the 1st version but calls to 2nd version). It messes up on 'Substance', 'International', the 'Recycle' remaster and another compilation that I have.

It's fine on my Mac iTunes library, as I have hard copies of the songs stored on there. It's only a problem when I try to stream my library, via Apple Music, on my iPhone. The solution would be to sync the hard copies to my device, but who can be arsed with doing that these days? (I haven't synced my iPhone in about three years).

It all adds to the confusion. In my opinion, the two versions are fairly difficult to tell the differences anyway, unless you have the two to listen to together. I can only imagine how confusing it must be

Eh? You’re joking. IMHO there’s a massive difference between the two. Basically the same structure yes but there’s a massive difference between them in sound, feel and vibe. This argument is as old as time though. The first version is grand, has a real thump to the bass drum and drums, is energetic and is really alive. The second version I always found very flat and lifeless,Bernard’s vocals just don’t have that incredible mixture of vulnerable yet commanding tone that he nailed on the first version. The guitars sear and chime magically.Interestingly though I seem to recall from old threads on the old forum debating the two’s differences that most people seem to prefer the lifeless second version. So I’ve always felt in a minority that easily prefers the first version.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#110 Posted : 19 January 2019 13:54:52(UTC)
perspexorange

I suppose what I am saying is, I can hear the differences and could certainly tell which one was which if I was to have them both played blind to me, one after the other.

However, if the track comes up on random on my iPhone / radio etc., I sometimes struggle to say with any certainty which version is playing.
In fact it's one of those things that I do when the track comes on - 'guess which version it is without looking'. 7 out of 10 times, I get it right. 3 out of 10 times, I get annoyed with myself for not recognising it and feel like a bloody New Order amateur.

Of course, the problem with Apple Music mixing up the two versions hasn't helped. It's probably contributed to my confusion somewhat, with me saying 'oh yes, this is definitely the first version', checking my iPhone and seeing the '2nd version' label (even though it is the 1st version!) and then doubting myself.

There's only one thing for it - I need to listen to both of them again, multiple times. No hardship!

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2019(UTC), Fotz on 20/01/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#111 Posted : 20 January 2019 03:07:39(UTC)
Fotz

I suppose what I am saying is, I can hear the differences and could certainly tell which one was which if I was to have them both played blind to me, one after the other.

However, if the track comes up on random on my iPhone / radio etc., I sometimes struggle to say with any certainty which version is playing.
In fact it's one of those things that I do when the track comes on - 'guess which version it is without looking'. 7 out of 10 times, I get it right. 3 out of 10 times, I get annoyed with myself for not recognising it and feel like a bloody New Order amateur.

Of course, the problem with Apple Music mixing up the two versions hasn't helped. It's probably contributed to my confusion somewhat, with me saying 'oh yes, this is definitely the first version', checking my iPhone and seeing the '2nd version' label (even though it is the 1st version!) and then doubting myself.

There's only one thing for it - I need to listen to both of them again, multiple times. No hardship!

Ah ok I can see your point.

The first version has always been so imprinted in my memory because that’s all I’d ever known for many years. I bought the 7” with the gold sleeve when I first starting buying New Order stuff in 1983/84. It wasn’t until I bought Substance in 1987 that I heard the second version. I’d never got round to buying the cream sleeve with the second version so the Substance was the first time I ever heard it. Always wished they’d have put the first version on Substance instead. But again , i recall from old forum discussions that I was in a small minority that felt that way. People eh? I think the reasoning behind putting the second version on Substance was that it included Gillian and so represented the whole band as the rest of the album did.

ROCKET MICK on 20/01/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#112 Posted : 20 January 2019 07:31:29(UTC)
perspexorange

Yeah, that was my understanding too.

I have a couple of 'Substance' playlists ('A-Sides' and 'B-Sides') that restores the original 'Ceremony' back to its rightful place.

I've always wanted the band to release a modified version of 'Substance' that really reflects the bands 12" history, without the liberties previously taken back in 1987.

The changes I would make:

1) Replace the 2nd version of 'Ceremony' with the original;
2) Include 'Procession' as an 'A-Side' alongside 'EGG';
3) Replace the '87 version of 'Temptation' and 'Confusion' with the original 12" versions;
4) Include 'Murder' as an 'A-Side';
5) Replace the edits of 'Hurt', 'The Perfect Kiss', 'Sub-Culture' and 'Shellshock' with the unedited 12" versions;
6) Add the missing 'b-side' omitted from the CD version (Mesh);
7) Add the missing b-side remixes omitted from the CD version ('The Perfect Pit', 'Dub-Vulture', 'Shellcock', 'Bizarre Dub Triangle')
8) Add the post '87 Factory-era singles (Touched... 12", Blue Monday '88 12", Fine Time 12", Round & Round 12", Run 2 12" and World In Motion 12")
9) Add the post '87 Factory-era 12" b-sides (Touched...Dub 12", Beach Buggy 12", Don't Do It, Best & Marsh 12", & M T O)

Perhaps, as 'bonus tracks', they could add:

a) the re-recorded 'Ceremony';
b) the three '87 versions ('Temptation', 'Confusion' and 'Confusion Dub '87')
c) Finally, maybe include a selection of the 12"R tracks (such as 'True Faith' 12"R, ' 'True Dub', 'Paradise' (Robert Racic Mix), 'Fine Time' (Silk Mix, Messed Around Mix', Fine Line), 'Round & Round (12" Mix, Club Mix, Detroit Mix) & 'World In Motion' (Subbuteo Mix, Subbuteo Dub, Carabinieri Mix, No Alla Violenza Mix).

It's a pipe dream, but I'd love to see something like that.
Who knows, maybe they'll release an expanded set as part of the (hopefully ongoing) 're-release project'.
ROCKET MICK on 20/01/2019(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#113 Posted : 20 January 2019 14:35:08(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
It'd be great if 'Substance' gets a re-release as part of these deluxe editions as it's such an iconic compilation.

Only change I'd want to a re-released 'Substance' is to restore the full length 'Perfect Kiss' on the CD version (the unedited 12" appeared on the vinyl version after all). I'd be happy to keep the other tracks the same as the original 1987 release ('Subculture' and 'Shellshock' in their full length 12" versions would drag on a bit, so stick to the cropped versions of those please).

It's my favourite album and was my introduction to New Order. To tweak it it any more would move it further away from what it represented to me back then, so keep the second 'Ceremony' and re-recorded 'Temptation' and 'Confusion'.

Perhaps a re-released version could stretch the B-sides and dubs out over 2 CDs though - to include everything on the original cassette 2, 'Murder' and maybe a few other rarities or bonus tracks. Any DVD could include one of the live sets from the time when they played 'Substance' in order, if any recordings exist (think one of these was at Wembley Arena).
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/01/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#114 Posted : 21 January 2019 11:41:14(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post
It'd be great if 'Substance' gets a re-release as part of these deluxe editions as it's such an iconic compilation.

Only change I'd want to a re-released 'Substance' is to restore the full length 'Perfect Kiss' on the CD version (the unedited 12" appeared on the vinyl version after all). I'd be happy to keep the other tracks the same as the original 1987 release ('Subculture' and 'Shellshock' in their full length 12" versions would drag on a bit, so stick to the cropped versions of those please).

It's my favourite album and was my introduction to New Order. To tweak it it any more would move it further away from what it represented to me back then, so keep the second 'Ceremony' and re-recorded 'Temptation' and 'Confusion'.

Perhaps a re-released version could stretch the B-sides and dubs out over 2 CDs though - to include everything on the original cassette 2, 'Murder' and maybe a few other rarities or bonus tracks. Any DVD could include one of the live sets from the time when they played 'Substance' in order, if any recordings exist (think one of these was at Wembley Arena).

I can certainly see your point about keeping the edits of Sub-Culture and Shellshock. The latter goes on alarmingly and repeats the 'it's never enough' refrain (seemingly) ad infinitum. That being said, I don't mind either 'full length' track and I'd rather they were on there for consistency.

Presumably, even though they do 'go on a bit', the reason for the edits was to fit on two discs. The intention was, as stated by Wilson, to have all of the band's 12"s in one place. I guess they just chose those two (plus, to a lesser extent, Hurt and The Perfect Kiss) as being ones that would easily accommodate cuts without harming them (probably even enhancing them too!).

The one thing that I don't like about the 'Shellshock' Substance edit was that it excised one of the verses.
In fact, for the first few years of my fandom, I had no idea about this 'other' verse. I didn't own the 12" and the verse wasn't on the 7", the video version or Substance (all of which I knew pretty well). Back in the day, I had no idea that certain tracks were edited on Substance; I always assumed that all 12"s were intact on that LP. I therefore never hunted down the 12"s at the time (apart from Temptation and Confusion, which I knew had been re-recorded).

It wasn't until I bought the Pretty In Pink soundtrack a few years later that I heard the extra verse, which came as a rather nice shock. To this day, that version is the definitive mix for me; being a nice balance between song and mix, with all lyrics intact and subdued use of the aforementioned 'refrain'.

I don't think I heard the full 12" until the Recycle project, although I could be wrong.
ROCKET MICK on 21/01/2019(UTC)
negative1  
#115 Posted : 25 January 2019 17:53:14(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
small note,

I wonder if the re-issue of the temptation 12" will have an embossed cover like the original.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/01/2019(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#116 Posted : 26 January 2019 04:39:31(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Well you can't possibly please everyone.
TODAY IN MUSIC HISTORY
13 years, 4 months and a bit ago, New Order don't release a compilation.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#117 Posted : 26 January 2019 10:34:14(UTC)
Fotz

Have pre-ordered the box from Amazon,£89.34.Also pre-ordered the Ceremony first version re-issue vinyl,£10.22.

Also pre-ordered Steve's Record Play Pause book, £15.99 ( i see the release has been put back to May though),

Some posting and packing costs which i can't recall how much right now but a help that the money won't won't be taken from my account til the items are sent and seeing as one will be in March (Ceremony vinyl), one in April (Movement box) and one in May (Steve book) the outgoings will be staggered.
Debaser  
#118 Posted : 28 January 2019 06:41:18(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)

EDIT: To save you jumping through hoops, just play this:

Edited by user 28 January 2019 06:49:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#119 Posted : 28 January 2019 07:41:24(UTC)
perspexorange

Yeah - just noticed this appearing in my YouTube feed.
Nice to see the official channel releasing stuff like this.

Wonderful footage. Hope they post more.
Fotzepolitic  
#120 Posted : 28 January 2019 07:52:35(UTC)
Fotz

I remember first seeing that clip sometime in late 80s when I recieved a VHS full of NO stuff through a mail order ad in NME and I actually put my hand over my eyes when that bloody bright stage light in the clip appeared , doh. Ha ha

Edited by user 28 January 2019 07:53:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#121 Posted : 28 January 2019 09:56:10(UTC)
perspexorange

It's a great clip!

Shame that we've seen it before though ('A Factory Video', RockAmerica etc.).
It would've made more sense to tease the fans a little more by posting one of the vids from the box set that we've not seen.

In fact, apart from that clip and the two broadcast on Riverside, all the other videos from the box set are previously unseen, I think (as that version of Denial from the the Celebration set is possibly an alternate, unbroadcast take).

So why not post one of them to whet the appetite? Hopefully, this will happen at a later date.
thehim  
#122 Posted : 28 January 2019 10:06:50(UTC)
thehim

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 96 post(s)
I’ve now pre-ordered. Just shy of £90 on Amazon. I have all of the 12”s so no need for them. I do feel I’ve been bent over though!
thanks 1 user thanked thehim for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/02/2019(UTC)
Spittingcat  
#123 Posted : 28 January 2019 15:26:52(UTC)
Spittingcat

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 124 post(s)
To save you jumping through hoops

Thanks, the NME website is an utter mess.
thanks 1 user thanked Spittingcat for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/02/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#124 Posted : 15 February 2019 09:09:12(UTC)
Fotz

Video of Truth live at Hacienda 1983 has been released today. Can’t post embed or link as am posting from phone so a bit fiddly.
ROCKET MICK on 16/02/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#125 Posted : 15 February 2019 09:20:23(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Video of Truth live at Hacienda 1983 has been released today. Can’t post embed or link as am posting from phone so a bit fiddly.

Here you go
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz on 15/02/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/02/2019(UTC)