logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

14 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
djrigby1969  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2018 03:13:34(UTC)
djrigby1969

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 13 post(s)
According to an in-depth article in the new Uncut magazine, a box set is due for release on March 29th.

Looks to contain lots of demos and alternative mixes, live shows (both audio and video) and other stuff. Basically what Steve and Hooky have been collating over the past few years. So not one box set as we thought but possibly the start of a series.

"Movement has long been regarded as New Order’s transitional album, a rebirth following the tragic end of Joy Division. Even its creators have mixed feelings about it almost 40 years later. Peter Hook calls movement “Joy Division with New Order vocals”; Bernard Sumner, “the faltering steps of an infant”. But in its newly expanded boxset, movement unquestionably gains in stature and significance. A raw demo version of the album, recorded at Cargo studios in Rochdale but never released before, captures some of the tougher punk edge the band was always pushing for against the wishes of producer Martin Hannett. “What was interesting to me was there’s another version of movement which is just demos,”says Stephen Morris. “Not vastly different from what we ended up with, but there was no Hannett-induced torture involved.”More satisfying is the broader context the boxset brings to this uncertain, experimental chapter in New Order’s history. The album package and its four accompanying 12-inch single reissues show that the band were already developing their electronic direction on tracks like “Procession”, “Hurt”, “Everything’s Gone Green”and “Temptation”. Several futuristic, forward-looking tracks were excluded from the album, largely because of New Order’s principled commitment to standalone singles. “If we hadn’t been quite so political about it, movement could have ended up a very different album,”Morris nods. “Because ‘Everything’s Gone Green’wasn’t on movement, or ‘Hurt’. There were synths just two stops along, and if we’d included all those tracks movement would have been quite different. But as it is, movement is just a snapshot of a few months of our lives.”

"The boxset’s additional audio and DVD discs also contain some electrifying early live performances spanning 1981 to 1983, including the embryonic New Order’s New York debut at Hurrah on September 27, 1980, with all three founder members sharing vocals. Though wildly erratic, these shows have a ragged, drunken, explosive energy that feels punk both in sound and spirit. There is also a session at the city’s Peppermint Lounge from 1981, TV sessions from Granada Studios in 1981 and BBC Riverside the following year. Along with Stephen Morris and the band’s co-manager Andy Robinson, Peter Hook was a key driving force behind the boxset and hopes it will be the first of many expanded New Order reissues."

"the handful of tracks new order recorded in sheffield, long available as scratchy bootlegs, receive their first official release on the Movement boxset. Completed in a single night, with all three band members alternating lead vocals, the session yielded rough versions of “Ceremony”,“dreams never end” and “truth”. the band also laid down a rowdy glam-punk number called “homage”, which they never revisited, and a spoofy funk-rap jam featuring Mal and rob Gretton on vocals, later titled “Are You ready Are You ready Are You ready for this?”"

Edited by user 15 December 2018 03:16:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 10 users thanked djrigby1969 for this useful post.
Fotz on 15/12/2018(UTC), Debaser on 15/12/2018(UTC), fac51 on 15/12/2018(UTC), perspexorange on 15/12/2018(UTC), NotAMod on 15/12/2018(UTC), Andy on 16/12/2018(UTC), Col72 on 16/12/2018(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 17/12/2018(UTC), negative1 on 19/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotzepolitic  
#2 Posted : 15 December 2018 03:48:08(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3607 time(s) in 2612 post(s)
Woah! That’s quite a scoop , djrigby. Many thanks. I had the latest copy of Uncut in my hands in WH Smith the other day ( Jack White on cover), had a brief flick through but didn’t see this. Or maybe that was last month’s edition i had in my hands. Jack White on cover anyway.

So the long mooted box sets are finally underway? They’re finally in a position to release the Hurrahs footage?

12” singles from the period, demos, live footage... 29th March yer say, can’t think of anything else happening that day.
thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
djrigby1969 on 15/12/2018(UTC), Debaser on 15/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Johnny James  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2018 04:10:48(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Don't worry, the release date is going to be shifted into April now, 29th March wasn't such a good idea.
thanks 3 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Fotz on 15/12/2018(UTC), Debaser on 15/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#4 Posted : 15 December 2018 04:21:36(UTC)
Fotz

Just had a flick thru January edition of Uncut in WH Smith- can’t find article. I guess it’s in the February edition( not reached this neck of the woods yet) Magazines and their issues being dated a month and a half before the actual month,
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#5 Posted : 15 December 2018 05:44:55(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
The wondrous world of New Order rererererererrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeleases:
1. A vague, subliminal, non-committal blip Googletranslated from an Andora fanpage.
2. Everyone on this forum gets an instant boner and with its free hand bashes out mutually exclusive tracklists that are so HOT they make a jacuzzi with Cameron Diaz and Mel C look like a wet dip in Skegness with David Cameron and Merkel.
3. I say Fuck you, there'll be fuck all for years and even then it'll be more fuck all or like anal sex, i.e. fucking shit.
4. They respond, No, fuck YOU you fucking negative cynicfulness fucking WANKER, I mean HELLO? Does yer even fucking LIKES at New Order, stop fucking moaning groaning griping whining whinging, WE LIKE OUR BONERS, so kindly point yours away from our joint bonfire.
5. There's fuck all for years and even then it's more fuck all or like anal sex, i.e. fucking shit
6. Repeat until death or sex.

Edited by user 15 December 2018 05:46:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 17/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#6 Posted : 15 December 2018 05:54:01(UTC)
Fotz

Now now,Michael

Though i guess you could have a point.If these do turn out to be a series of box sets of each album in turn we could be looking at a long long time if ever for any new material. Say they release one box set a year this could go on for years. Or even if it’s two box sets a year. Say they release Power, Corruption & Lies : The Definitive Edition in late 2019 and so on and so on each year they could dine out on these box sets for the rest of their lives and never record anything new. Just hypothesising.
djrigby1969  
#7 Posted : 15 December 2018 06:00:50(UTC)
djrigby1969

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Ah yes. Mr Monkhouse. One of the reasons I don't frequent this forum or contribute much. Can't be doing with all that shite.

Anyway, for you less odd fans, the new Uncut is up on Kindle. New Order are on the cover and there's an extensive article on Movement. Not in the shops yet as far as I know.

I'd screenshot some of it but can't upload from phone on here.
thanks 2 users thanked djrigby1969 for this useful post.
Mark on 16/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#8 Posted : 15 December 2018 06:04:20(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
We'll see. Don't hold your breath...
There can't be much more to said about how they started like JD and then etc etc etc.

Edited by user 15 December 2018 06:10:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#9 Posted : 15 December 2018 07:26:21(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: djrigby1969 Go to Quoted Post
Ah yes. Mr Monkhouse. One of the reasons I don't frequent this forum or contribute much. Can't be doing with all that shite.

Anyway, for you less odd fans, the new Uncut is up on Kindle. New Order are on the cover and there's an extensive article on Movement. Not in the shops yet as far as I know.

Thanks.

I've grabbed the Kindle edition.Amazon are doing a one month free trial for Uncut magazine Kindle subscription.I don't have a a Kindle device but was able to download the app to my iPhone.Downloaded the new edition of Uncut with New Order on cover.8 page article.Looks good, going to read it now.

UserPostedImage

thanks 4 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
djrigby1969 on 15/12/2018(UTC), Debaser on 15/12/2018(UTC), Mark on 16/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#10 Posted : 15 December 2018 08:08:14(UTC)
Fotz

Here yer go.Bit naughty of me but i created a PDF of the article.Text is a little difficult to read in places as i had to and could only take screenshots from my iPhone of the Kindle edition.But with a bit of zooming in here n there it's readable.

New Order - Uncut magazine Feb 2019 edition. PDF

thanks 6 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 15/12/2018(UTC), perspexorange on 15/12/2018(UTC), The Shadow on 16/12/2018(UTC), Ricardo on 16/12/2018(UTC), negative1 on 19/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Debaser  
#11 Posted : 15 December 2018 08:16:51(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2982 time(s) in 2067 post(s)
According to an in-depth article in the new Uncut magazine, a box set is due for release

Thanks for this.

So not one box set as we thought but possibly the start of a series.

Did we think that? For the last year or so, the forum has been kinda expecting a series, and even saying: where are they?
Mentioned Here: (reply #23): "33 - 36 mins: Warners collector series is happening, with albums being released as box sets like the Led Zep II reissue. Hook says it was his idea and Warners said yes. Says a photographer has taken pics of the gear used to make each album."
Also mentioned ... in a bunch of other threads that I can't link to because the forum has gone laggy.

Quote:
"the handful of tracks new order recorded in sheffield, long available as scratchy bootlegs, receive their first official release on the Movement boxset. Completed in a single night, with all three band members alternating lead vocals, the session yielded rough versions of “Ceremony”,“dreams never end” and “truth”. the band also laid down a rowdy glam-punk number called “homage”, which they never revisited, and a spoofy funk-rap jam featuring Mal and rob Gretton on vocals, later titled “Are You ready Are You ready Are You ready for this?”"

So Western Works will be on there. Funny of them to describe what's already 'out there' as scratchy (salesmsanship, eh?). The digital download I have isn't particularly scratchy, although of course they sound like demos, and probably still will when they end up in the box set. Of course it makes sense to include them, but will they sound noticably better? Nah.

Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post
Don't worry, the release date is going to be shifted into April now, 29th March wasn't such a good idea.

Ha funny! If it's a No-Deal Brexit there could be anarchy in the uk by the time we get to PC&L...
How much are these gonna cost Mr James? I'm guessing something north of £50?

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
The wondrous world of New Order rererererererrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeleases:
1. A vague, subliminal, non-committal blip Googletranslated from an Andora fanpage.
2. Everyone on this forum gets an instant boner and with its free hand bashes out mutually exclusive tracklists that are so HOT they make a jacuzzi with Cameron Diaz and Mel C look like a wet dip in Skegness with David Cameron and Merkel.
3. I say Fuck you, there'll be fuck all for years and even then it'll be more fuck all or like anal sex, i.e. fucking shit.
4. They respond, No, fuck YOU you fucking negative cynicfulness fucking WANKER, I mean HELLO? Does yer even fucking LIKES at New Order, stop fucking moaning groaning griping whining whinging, WE LIKE OUR BONERS, so kindly point yours away from our joint bonfire.
5. There's fuck all for years and even then it's more fuck all or like anal sex, i.e. fucking shit
6. Repeat until death or sex.

Oh NOW we get the rant. Why didn't we get this the other day when I posted Phil's tweet saying: "no new music, more gigs"? You were all sanguine saying: Maybe they won't improve on Music Complete etc.

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Now now,Michael

Though i guess you could have a point... they could dine out on these box sets for the rest of their lives and never record anything new. Just hypothesising.

They could, then again Underworld have been reissuing their albums as box sets but also making new music. Just to offer another perspective. False hope can be a killer, mind you!

Harsh. Mr Monkhouse is an aspiring comedian (not exactly Jerry Seinfeld, or even Bob Monkhouse), and ranty 'comedy' is his schtick. Rhod Gilbert makes a good living out of it. Mind you the Spice Girls stuff could do with a rest.

FYI for the future (and anyone else reading): If you sign up to a free image hosting website like Tinypic or Photobucket, you can upload pics to there, and then use the "insert image" option here on the forum to embed them from Tinypic/photobucket.

I've grabbed the Kindle edition.Amazon are doing a one month free trial for Uncut magazine Kindle subscription.I don't have a a Kindle device but was able to download the app to my iPhone.Downloaded the new edition of Uncut with New Order on cover.8 page article.Looks good, going to read it now.

UserPostedImage

Oh they've added Hooky. That mockup makes me yearn for the good ole days. Ahh...
I wonder if I can put this on my new android Hauwei Chinese spy phone, or my 4 y/o samsung tablet, or my amazon firestick?...

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
djrigby1969 on 16/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#12 Posted : 15 December 2018 08:32:15(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

Oh they've added Hooky. That mockup makes me yearn for the good ole days. Ahh...
I wonder if I can put this on my new android Hauwei Chinese spy phone, or my 4 y/o samsung tablet, or my amazon firestick?...

The Amazon page for the edition of Uncut has a drop down menu that lists what Kindle is available on

Edited by user 15 December 2018 08:36:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 15/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#13 Posted : 15 December 2018 10:17:31(UTC)
Fotz

Very minimal cover for the box.Not a font i don't think i've seen New Order use before.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC), 79order on 25/02/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#14 Posted : 15 December 2018 15:28:55(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Oh my bloody life!

Colour me excited.

This is f***ing brilliant news (and I rarely swear).

So much good stuff on this. Western Works and Movement Demos.
DVD material, including the Hurrah’s stuff. Magnificent.

Seriously, I’m as pumped as I possibly could be.

And don’t worry, Fotz. I’m sure they’ll be recording again within the next year or two.

Ah, man. I’m ridiculously excited by this.

Edited by user 15 December 2018 15:39:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 17/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Jcp7  
#15 Posted : 15 December 2018 16:39:30(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 537 post(s)
Hope it will not be released as "vinyl only"...
thanks 1 user thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
keepitcoming  
#16 Posted : 15 December 2018 22:19:50(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Hot diggity dog , as my namesake, Uncle KeepItComing would say . And Bless NewOrder and all their great wonders. And for those that sense the divine within them, dear God, may they create two more albums of 10-20 songs each ,as long as they have only really great songs not almost greats like working overtime( it should have had french horns ,bassoons ,and oboes), no vietnams, free falling or bohemian rhapsody , and help them find old charms from technique and Republic,too. Thanks God
I miss all those magazines Q ,Mojo, Little White Lies,uncut , spitfires , and Rupert Christmas annuals , but
.the Cochise and Geronimo native American trading center has lots of turquoise, but alas , zero british mags and such
And thanks to lots of dollars for PF box sets with marvels of Richard,David ,Syd ,Nick , and early Roger, there is only enough money now anyways for whatever NewOrder feels like putting out for us . Just imagine if the Stones get box happy , 40 boxes ,lps, art , music, pictures of cats , whew ,it could cost 15,000 dollars
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#17 Posted : 16 December 2018 03:00:26(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Jcp7 Go to Quoted Post
Hope it will not be released as "vinyl only"...

I’ve just been wondering about this myself.
I remember Hooky said in an interview he wanted the boxes to include both vinyl and CD, which is probably a bit excessive (at least I think that’s what he said).

If they did release a vinyl box and a CD box as separate options, I’d be torn as to which one to get.

I only play CDs and don’t have a turntable, so the latter seems the obvious choice.
However, I’d like the large format to show off the sleeve artwork (mmm, Saville sleeves) and the (presumably) accompanying book. I would only get this, though, if it included everything that was in the CD set as downloads.

The CD set would presumably be smaller, though, and that might be better for storage.

Decisions, decisions.

I just want to see track listings now.
Still can’t believe Hurrah’s is going to be on this. I’ve seen clips of this footage and it is incredible. The footage is up close to the band and is really clear. Steve singing Procession from behind the keyboard and Ceremony / Cries & Whispers (verses only) from behind his drum kit.

Take my money now.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Johnny James  
#18 Posted : 16 December 2018 03:03:33(UTC)
Johnny James

It's one record, 2 CDs and a DVD.
thanks 3 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
The Shadow on 16/12/2018(UTC), Fotz on 16/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#19 Posted : 16 December 2018 04:02:50(UTC)
perspexorange

Ta. Is that in the 'Uncut' article?

Presumably then:

1 x vinyl record containing the original LP
1 x CD containing the four singles and related b-sides (Ceremony, Procession, EGG & Temptation)*.
1 x CD containing the Western Works demos, LP demos and some live performances**.
1 x DVD containing Celebration, Riverside, Hurrah's and some other live performances**.

* It wouldn't surprise me if this disc contains the Hewick tracks - 'Haystack' and, possibly, 'A Piece Of Fate' (if this still exists), as Hewick is interviewed in the article. I think they definitely deserve a place on the set.

** The article mentions 'early live performances' but doesn't state if they're audio or video. I wonder if the Peppermint Lounge gig is audio or video, also.

Edited by user 16 December 2018 04:06:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Johnny James  
#20 Posted : 16 December 2018 04:51:43(UTC)
Johnny James

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

Ta. Is that in the 'Uncut' article?

Presumably then:

1 x vinyl record containing the original LP
1 x CD containing the four singles and related b-sides (Ceremony, Procession, EGG & Temptation)*.
1 x CD containing the Western Works demos, LP demos and some live performances**.
1 x DVD containing Celebration, Riverside, Hurrah's and some other live performances**.

* It wouldn't surprise me if this disc contains the Hewick tracks - 'Haystack' and, possibly, 'A Piece Of Fate' (if this still exists), as Hewick is interviewed in the article. I think they definitely deserve a place on the set.

** The article mentions 'early live performances' but doesn't state if they're audio or video. I wonder if the Peppermint Lounge gig is audio or video, also.

I think the press goes out tomorrow so full tracklists will be known.

To clarify the discs though, it's (remastered) Movement on vinyl & CD, an extras CD with all the rare audio on, and a DVD (which runs to nearly three hours).

All live material is video.
thanks 6 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
perspexorange on 16/12/2018(UTC), djrigby1969 on 16/12/2018(UTC), Fotz on 16/12/2018(UTC), Ricardo on 16/12/2018(UTC), Rorschach on 17/12/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#21 Posted : 16 December 2018 04:59:42(UTC)
perspexorange

Excellent!

Nearly 3 hours of video material?! Wow!! That's amazing.

This just gets better and better... :-)
NotAMod  
#22 Posted : 16 December 2018 05:28:19(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1032 time(s) in 652 post(s)
Absolutely brilliant to hear.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#23 Posted : 16 December 2018 05:36:42(UTC)
perspexorange

I'm hoping that, as well as the video stuff already mentioned, we get the tracks from the 'Factory Complication' and 'A Factory Video' VHS, plus possibly other tracks from these three gigs.

Also, possibly, if there's anymore Glasto '81 or Rome '82 footage, that would be great.

Wonder if they'll include Taras Shevchenko too; just for completeness.
Fotzepolitic  
#24 Posted : 16 December 2018 06:06:20(UTC)
Fotz

Cracking stuff. Had wondered if the Hurrah thing would just be audio but if all the live stuff is video it’ll be the footage. Wow, so they finally twisted the arm of that lady who owned it.
perspexorange  
#25 Posted : 16 December 2018 06:14:06(UTC)
perspexorange

Cracking stuff. Had wondered if the Hurrah thing would just be audio but if all the live stuff is video it’ll be the footage. Wow, so they finally twisted the arm of that lady who owned it.

Looks that way. I'm so pleased. Was beginning to think that we'd never get to see it.