logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
neil larkcom  
#51 Posted : 04 February 2013 12:34:54(UTC)
neil larkcom

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 44 post(s)
..but surely seeing bernard struggle to sing the whole of 'movement' or ' pc&l' would be hilarious. obviously omitting dream never end and doubts even here.

on a serious note, i just hoe they continue to vary the setlist a little. re-visit a few more old tunes. ie. hurt,village,this time of night,all day long, and anything off of technique.

now a 25 anniversary tour of technique is a goer.
thanks 1 user thanked neil larkcom for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/02/2013(UTC)
Andy  
#52 Posted : 04 February 2013 15:23:39(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3072 time(s) in 2144 post(s)
I think Barney would sound fine singing Dreams Never End. It would more interesting (for everyone involved) if Chappy had a go, though.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#53 Posted : 05 February 2013 06:23:33(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 643 post(s)
http://digboston.com/lis...igboston+%28DigBoston%29

“Hooky” recently spoke to me by phone from his room at the Prescott Hotel in San Francisco.

Do you still really not care if you, as you write on page 203, “piss off any journalist”?

(laughs) I’ve had journalists be wonderful and I’ve had jouralists be awful. It doesn’t stop you really. You do have to learn to cope with that. You’ve got to trust what you’re doing, and believe in what you’re doing yourself

I was surprised to read that you and Bernard Sumner (Joy Division and New Order’s guitarist) had Santana stickers on your scooters when you were teenagers.

I’m still a great fan of Santana. I think you realize that there’s a place for everything in your head, isn’t there? Santana and that album in particular [1970's Abraxas] reminds me of being 16-17 and just discovering life. I still have a great love for it, a great fondness.

I did love Deep Purple, you know. That idea of getting rid of all the old musicians and sweeping them away like sort of to create a new world was such a young and naïve way of thinking. It was actually quite weird because as a 56-year-old old fart, I wanted to get rid of myself, which is quite scary. I’m so glad I didn’t, because I enjoy being a musician just as much now as I did when I was 21, so I’m very glad I didn’t get my own way, to say the least.

Did you interact with Morrissey or Mark E. Smith (later of The Fall) at the Sex Pistols show in Manchester on June 4, 1976?

No. They were all strangers to us. There were very few people there, only about forty. The venue must have held three or four hundred.

Once the The Sex Pistols came on … you were literally in awe. It wasn’t the magnificence of it. It wasn’t like seeing Led Zeppelin do “Stairway To Heaven” or anything like that. It touched a raw nerve in your body.

Throughout the book, you make it clear that you were very proud of Joy Division’s music as well as the fact that you “managed to stay cool, credible, and independent.” Were there any bands that you considered to be worthy adversaries in terms of creativity and integrity?
Psychedelic Furs, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Gang of Four: They all made fantastic, fantastic first records. Siouxsie were to me the closest thing to Joy Division. On the second album, when they got the proper guitarist and the proper bass player, to me they went a bit more normal, shall we say.

Joy Division, 1980 (Ian Curtis, Bernard Sumner, Stephen Morris, Peter Hook)
What about The Fall?
I’ve always had a very, very strange relationship with [Fall lead singer and songwriter] Mark E. Smith. I am so competitive. Because he was in Manchester, he was sort of too close and too much in competition to ever be friends. Whilst I like some of The Fall’s music, I think he’s a really clever geezer, [we] don’t have great relationship.

It took me years, actually, to admit to liking The Smiths. Until [their 1986 album] The Queen is Dead, I fucking hated them, for no other reason than that they were in competition with New Order. Morrissey was always very outspoken in his distaste for Joy Division. He thought they were miserable and gloomy, and shit basically. You sort of learn to live together. When I got to The Queen Is Dead, I heard that LP, I though, ‘Ah shit, I can’t pretend I don’t like ‘em anymore!’ I had to give in. It’s a great record.

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/02/2013(UTC), tarbox23 on 05/02/2013(UTC)
Aracri  
#54 Posted : 05 February 2013 14:37:45(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
Linus Solanki wrote:

I was surprised to read that you and Bernard Sumner (Joy Division and New Order’s guitarist) had Santana stickers on your scooters when you were teenagers.I’m still a great fan of Santana. I think you realize that there’s a place for everything in your head, isn’t there? Santana and that album in particular [1970's Abraxas] reminds me of being 16-17 and just discovering life. I still have a great love for it, a great fondness.

That's the best thing he (Hooky) said recently... LoL

Edited by user 05 February 2013 14:42:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Aracri for this useful post.
Volturno  
#55 Posted : 06 February 2013 11:50:45(UTC)
Volturno

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Don't think this one has been posted yet:
UserPostedImage

PETER HOOK: WOULD ANYTHING SURPRISE YOU IN THIS WORLD?
Quote:
I know you’re not a petty man, but if you really want to twist the knife…hire [former Warsaw drummer Steve] Brotherdale. Then call Stephen Morris up and say, ‘Hey, Steven … guess who’s our drummer!’
[laughs] You know, he works at McDonald’s.
As a manager?
I don’t think he was a manager when I went there, but he just got prosecuted for beating up his wife. Because it was in the ‘paper: Ex-Joy Division Drummer: Wife-Beater! Wild.

Quote:
You know what? You got a lot of help, really. That is to say—I mean, as much as I hate to admit it, Bernard [Sumner] was a really great help in the beginning. So was Ian Curtis. And they encouraged you. I mean, the reason I played high was because I couldn’t hear the low notes—my speakers were that bad. My speakers cost $15—and they sounded like $15, even though $15 in 1976 was a lot of money. It sounded terrible, and you couldn’t hear it! The only way you could hear it was to play high. And Ian Curtis in particular said, ‘That’s what you should concentrate on. It sounds fantastic when you play high. Play high.’ And every time we came to rehearse, he’d say, ‘Hooky, play high, play high—driving along, driving along!’ And it was quite simple—and then Bernard encouraged me to get a chorus pedal, because he said, ‘Because you’re playing high, you need to fatten it up a bit,’ and that’s how I got an Electro-Harmonix chorus. And then Martin Hannett said to me, ‘Hooky, you’ve got a shit bass amp. You should have the best bass amp in the world.’

Quote:
You know what it’s like? It’s like that really really hot girl in high school, that everyone says, ‘Oh, don’t go for her, she’s trouble.’ But you’ve got to fuck her. You’ve got to go for her anyway! And you do—and it’s amazing. Going back to New Order again, every so often over the years, I would see bootlegs of New Order concerts, and Gillian would every so often kind of muff it—she would be in the wrong key or something—and Stephen would come out from behind the drumkit and really sarcastically put her finger on the right key, roll his eyes, and go back behind the kit. Did that really go on, or was I just imagining that?
I’m afraid so, yes. She was never the most … accomplished musician. If she hadn’t been shagging the drummer, I don’t think she would have got the gig, to be honest. That was one of the puzzles with New Order: the happiest I ever saw Bernard in New Order was when she left! And that has really puzzled me. I guess the thing is: he must hate me more! [cackles]

Found this one very interesting, and potentially controversial as well.
thanks 1 user thanked Volturno for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/02/2013(UTC)
Housey  
#56 Posted : 06 February 2013 12:08:28(UTC)
Housey

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Posted my pearl-clutching outrage in the 'libel' thread.
thanks 2 users thanked Housey for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/02/2013(UTC), Eimi on 06/02/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#57 Posted : 06 February 2013 14:26:20(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
The bit about Gillian is just No... And considering the reasons she left, I doubt that Bernard was glad she left.
thanks 3 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC), Housey on 07/02/2013(UTC), JG on 09/02/2013(UTC)
Johnny77  
#58 Posted : 07 February 2013 08:15:31(UTC)
Johnny77

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Another day, another ill-advised Hooky interview. His constant attempts to belittle Gillian's role within the band are extremely distasteful. I used to have a lot of respect for Hooky, but that's all gone and i'm glad he's no longer part of New Order.
thanks 3 users thanked Johnny77 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC), Housey on 07/02/2013(UTC), JG on 09/02/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#59 Posted : 07 February 2013 14:58:35(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Volturno wrote:
Don't think this one has been posted yet:
UserPostedImage

PETER HOOK: WOULD ANYTHING SURPRISE YOU IN THIS WORLD?
Quote:
I know you’re not a petty man, but if you really want to twist the knife…hire [former Warsaw drummer Steve] Brotherdale. Then call Stephen Morris up and say, ‘Hey, Steven … guess who’s our drummer!’
[laughs] You know, he works at McDonald’s.
As a manager?
I don’t think he was a manager when I went there, but he just got prosecuted for beating up his wife. Because it was in the ‘paper: Ex-Joy Division Drummer: Wife-Beater! Wild.

Quote:
You know what? You got a lot of help, really. That is to say—I mean, as much as I hate to admit it, Bernard [Sumner] was a really great help in the beginning. So was Ian Curtis. And they encouraged you. I mean, the reason I played high was because I couldn’t hear the low notes—my speakers were that bad. My speakers cost $15—and they sounded like $15, even though $15 in 1976 was a lot of money. It sounded terrible, and you couldn’t hear it! The only way you could hear it was to play high. And Ian Curtis in particular said, ‘That’s what you should concentrate on. It sounds fantastic when you play high. Play high.’ And every time we came to rehearse, he’d say, ‘Hooky, play high, play high—driving along, driving along!’ And it was quite simple—and then Bernard encouraged me to get a chorus pedal, because he said, ‘Because you’re playing high, you need to fatten it up a bit,’ and that’s how I got an Electro-Harmonix chorus. And then Martin Hannett said to me, ‘Hooky, you’ve got a shit bass amp. You should have the best bass amp in the world.’

Quote:
You know what it’s like? It’s like that really really hot girl in high school, that everyone says, ‘Oh, don’t go for her, she’s trouble.’ But you’ve got to fuck her. You’ve got to go for her anyway! And you do—and it’s amazing. Going back to New Order again, every so often over the years, I would see bootlegs of New Order concerts, and Gillian would every so often kind of muff it—she would be in the wrong key or something—and Stephen would come out from behind the drumkit and really sarcastically put her finger on the right key, roll his eyes, and go back behind the kit. Did that really go on, or was I just imagining that?
I’m afraid so, yes. She was never the most … accomplished musician. If she hadn’t been shagging the drummer, I don’t think she would have got the gig, to be honest. That was one of the puzzles with New Order: the happiest I ever saw Bernard in New Order was when she left! And that has really puzzled me. I guess the thing is: he must hate me more! [cackles]

Found this one very interesting, and potentially controversial as well.

First off this interview and interviewer are disgustingly sycophantic towards Hooky. I mean, did this interviewer watch Deep Throat before talking to the Hookster?

Regret the "last true New Order song." Really?????? No I think that Crystal, Someone Like You, Close Range, Primitive Notion, Here To Stay, Krafty, WFTSC, Turn, and even I'll Stay With You and Hellbent are real New Order songs...they all came out after 2000 and you can clearly hear Hooky on them.

Hooky "the soul of New Order"? Please. For real? So Bernard's songwriting, vocal, synth, and production skills don't matter in New Order? Steve's drumming and programming don't matter? Gillian's synth melodies don't matter? Heck, Phil has even contributed some cool guitar parts in latter day NO.

Lastly....

The sexism that Hooky displays towards Gilllian in this interview and the way the interviewer eats it up is truly offensive.
thanks 5 users thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
Eimi on 07/02/2013(UTC), Housey on 07/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/02/2013(UTC), ersatz01 on 08/02/2013(UTC), JG on 09/02/2013(UTC)
Volturno  
#60 Posted : 07 February 2013 22:26:57(UTC)
Volturno

I don't think Hooky meant that Regret was the last New Order, I think he sees it as the last song by New Order when it still was New Order in his opinion, as for the original set of principles, formation and relations, I'd guess.
ROCKET MICK on 08/02/2013(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio  
#61 Posted : 08 February 2013 08:20:59(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
Volturno wrote:
I don't think Hooky meant that Regret was the last New Order, I think he sees it as the last song by New Order when it still was New Order in his opinion, as for the original set of principles, formation and relations, I'd guess.

Last but not the least...
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#62 Posted : 08 February 2013 08:49:02(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Volturno wrote:

So he didn't mean it wasn't the last New Order rather the last song by New Order when he thought it was New Order?

Crystal clear.

Edited by user 08 February 2013 08:52:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Nick King  
#63 Posted : 08 February 2013 12:32:48(UTC)
Nick King

Man

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Volturno wrote:

Didn't he say in an interview (one of many) that the best New Order line-up was when Gillian wasn't there - i.e. from 2001... Or was he contradicting himself again? Confused

Cool
thanks 2 users thanked Nick King for this useful post.
JG on 09/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/02/2013(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio  
#64 Posted : 08 February 2013 13:03:59(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

New Order is like Crystal of course!
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
ROCKET MICK on 10/02/2013(UTC)
Debaser  
#65 Posted : 09 February 2013 00:24:40(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3010 time(s) in 2075 post(s)
Nick King wrote:

Didn't he say in an interview (one of many) that the best New Order line-up was when Gillian wasn't there - i.e. from 2001... Or was he contradicting himself again? Confused

Cool

Conradictory indeed. On the NME piece that inspired the "I should be in the band" thread, he says Regret was the last real new order tune, then describes Crystal as a "great new order tune". Make up your mind Hooky.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#66 Posted : 09 February 2013 02:41:51(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
ZASmusic wrote:

First off this interview and interviewer are disgustingly sycophantic towards Hooky.

Could be why Hooky's so full of shit, can't get this bloke's tongue out of his arsehole.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
JG  
#67 Posted : 09 February 2013 05:29:30(UTC)
JG

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Housey wrote:
I'll criticize NewOrderNow (or, in other words, New Order) for being a has-been tribute act if we don't get some kind of non-Lost Sirens new material by, say, the end of 2014. Until then, they're writing new material, they've been playing album deep tracks, they've been reworking old standards, and they sound really, really tight. If they're still touring The Setlist a year from now with no new stuff on the horizon, then maybe the detractors will have a point.

Most tours New Order have undertaken have included a healthy number of new tracks. I would be surprised if these upcoming gigs didn't feature some of the Lost Sirens material. The 2011/12 dates were unique in a way, in that it's the first time they've gone on an extensive tour without having an album to promote. So I wouldn't take recent gigs as an indicator of what they're likely to do in the future when they've got new material to promote. They're back in the studio now so there will be a new record at some point.

Plenty of reason to be optimistic about New Order as a going concern and having new tracks as part of their live set.
thanks 1 user thanked JG for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#68 Posted : 09 February 2013 08:00:21(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Personally I'd be amazed if they started playing any Lost Sirens stuff live as for the last 20 years they've pretty much stuck to hits and crowd-pleasers. I'd also be amazed if anything new emerged before 2015 as they've only just started writing, plus they're gigging and they're notoriously slow-working at the best of times (or 'Best Of' times, see what I did there?). I'm also amazed I've managed a whole post without using the words 'fuck', 'cunt' or 'Melanie C'.
PS My best wank over Mel, I staved it off so long I jizzed in my eye. So masturbation DOES make you blind. Half-blind at least. What an embarrassing day at the optician's that was.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#69 Posted : 09 February 2013 08:19:33(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

JG wrote:
Housey wrote:
I'll criticize NewOrderNow (or, in other words, New Order) for being a has-been tribute act if we don't get some kind of non-Lost Sirens new material by, say, the end of 2014. Until then, they're writing new material, they've been playing album deep tracks, they've been reworking old standards, and they sound really, really tight. If they're still touring The Setlist a year from now with no new stuff on the horizon, then maybe the detractors will have a point.

Most tours New Order have undertaken have included a healthy number of new tracks. I would be surprised if these upcoming gigs didn't feature some of the Lost Sirens material. The 2011/12 dates were unique in a way, in that it's the first time they've gone on an extensive tour without having an album to promote. So I wouldn't take recent gigs as an indicator of what they're likely to do in the future when they've got new material to promote. They're back in the studio now so there will be a new record at some point.

Plenty of reason to be optimistic about New Order as a going concern and having new tracks as part of their live set.

Wouldn't be surprised if they open the next set in Lima playing Sister & Brother Eek
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
Volturno  
#70 Posted : 09 February 2013 08:27:29(UTC)
Volturno

Another lengthy(and illustrated) one:
UserPostedImage

Interview: Peter Hook taps into the unknown

Quote:
[...]
To be honest, if they haven't done what they done to me at the start I wouldn't have written it, because I don't think any of us are going to come out of it shiny, the way people came out of the Joy Division book. Shall we say, the New Order one will certainly show the darker side of all our natures.

And it'll have another heartbreaking ending.

It will have a heartbreaking ending as well.

Quote:
Can you envision any reconciliation with Bernard Sumner?

Well, no. I was reading his latest interview which I found to be absolutely disgusting, in Spinner, which I'm doing a big answer to at the moment, because he's so wrong, there's so many mistakes in there, and its absolutely insulting. In a way I suppose I should be flattered that I'm still worthy of such attention. Where really he's got his fame back, he's got his group back, he's doing supposedly exactly what he wants to do. And you know, I was reading a paragraph where he says how great and how happy everyone is backstage, intimating that it was only me that ruined everything. Which I thought was hilarious! And it reminded me of those interviews that actors do, when they sit on the couch, and go "What's it like working on Peyton Place" or whatever? – "Oh we're just one big happy family!" And then you sit there thinking what a bunch of shit.

You can't stand each other, you know! I thought that was so ridiculous. We're grown men, 57 as he is now. To act like that is pathetic. And I hate myself for playing up to it. But we're all just human.
markreed  
#71 Posted : 09 February 2013 12:05:38(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Looks like he forgot that "Crystal" was originally a Bernard solo song for Corvin Dalek or someone similar.
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
Nick King  
#72 Posted : 09 February 2013 12:26:35(UTC)
Nick King

Man

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Volturno wrote:
Another lengthy(and illustrated) one:

Hooky: Well, no. I was reading his latest interview which I found to be absolutely disgusting, in Spinner, which I'm doing a big answer to at the moment, because he's so wrong, there's so many mistakes in there, and its absolutely insulting. In a way I suppose I should be flattered that I'm still worthy of such attention.

Erm, over the past 7 years, all I've really read are Hooky interviews slagging the other band members off, and he's surprised that they (finally) respond??? Confused

Cool
thanks 1 user thanked Nick King for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#73 Posted : 09 February 2013 13:24:01(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

markreed wrote:
Looks like he forgot that "Crystal" was originally a Bernard solo song for Corvin Dalek or someone similar.

Are you the sane guy who wrote this?

http://www.thefinalword.co.uk/content/view/1121/38/
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
markreed  
#74 Posted : 09 February 2013 13:30:50(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
what do you reckon?
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#75 Posted : 09 February 2013 13:36:35(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

markreed wrote:
what do you reckon?

I don't think so. Big Grin

Edited by user 09 February 2013 13:37:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013