logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

14 Pages«<910111213>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AdamTate  
#251 Posted : 07 April 2019 11:59:28(UTC)
AdamTate

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Haven't posted on here for many a long year....

Perhaps Rocket Mick and Shug Sludden of Corby remember me?

I did an early Recycle type CDR thing in a shoebox type thing many moons ago.

Anyway this Movement box has got me stoked again - great stuff.

Received the box on Friday and has made my weekend - a quality item!
thanks 2 users thanked AdamTate for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/04/2019(UTC), GotBlueEyes on 08/04/2019(UTC)
dallywhitty  
#252 Posted : 07 April 2019 12:29:06(UTC)
dallywhitty

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'm kind of in love with the Cargo demo version of 'Cries and Whispers.'
thanks 1 user thanked dallywhitty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/04/2019(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#253 Posted : 08 April 2019 04:16:38(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Just realised that the Peppermint Lounge gig is only a couple of days later than the Taras Schevchenko gig - but it feels much looser and energetic. I guess that they were less self-conscious of the cameras - and I think it was the last night of that US tour?

The Hurrah's gig is the night after the Hoboken gig that surfaced a few years ago - same set list, just minus the unreleased track "Hour". I loved that Hoboken bootleg, the way they sounded so on the edge of it all falling apart, so to see actual video footage of the following night is quite something

thanks 1 user thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/04/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#254 Posted : 08 April 2019 04:56:50(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AdamTate Go to Quoted Post
Haven't posted on here for many a long year....

Anyway this Movement box has got me stoked again - great stuff.

Received the box on Friday and has made my weekend - a quality item!

Welcome back! Good to have different people posting on here.

Originally Posted by: dallywhitty Go to Quoted Post

Me too. Mesh is my favourite though.

All the Cargo demos are fantastic. Love the extra guitar on Truth. Doubts Even Here is magnificent also.

I think, had the songs been released a bit more like this, the LP would be liked more by fans. I personally love the LP myself, but I hear things in these demos I’ve never noticed before. Everything just sounds so clear and too damn ‘good’ to be classed as demos, IMHO. When you here demos, they’re usually murky or skeletons of the songs in question. Not so here.

Originally Posted by: GotBlueEyes Go to Quoted Post
Just realised that the Peppermint Lounge gig is only a couple of days later than the Taras Schevchenko gig - but it feels much looser and energetic. I guess that they were less self-conscious of the cameras - and I think it was the last night of that US tour?

The Hurrah's gig is the night after the Hoboken gig that surfaced a few years ago - same set list, just minus the unreleased track "Hour". I loved that Hoboken bootleg, the way they sounded so on the edge of it all falling apart, so to see actual video footage of the following night is quite something

Yep, these two gigs are highlights in a truly brilliant box set.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer  
#255 Posted : 08 April 2019 21:13:14(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Was thanked: 359 time(s) in 212 post(s)
It really is a remarkable box. Quick highlight for me is Bernard's dancing on Hurt / Peppermint Lounge on the DVD. First footage from that period I've ever seen that has him in other than dour-mode. Great version of the track too. Gritty.

DR
thanks 1 user thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
GotBlueEyes  
#256 Posted : 09 April 2019 03:52:06(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Originally Posted by: Dennis Remmer Go to Quoted Post
It really is a remarkable box. Quick highlight for me is Bernard's dancing on Hurt / Peppermint Lounge on the DVD. First footage from that period I've ever seen that has him in other than dour-mode.
DR

There is a moment in ETGG just after he stops playing his melodica where he starts to dance and he sub-consciously apes Ian Curtis - then you can almost feel him realise what he's done and he immediately stops. Must have been a very strange time for him

Other thoughts upon repeated listening - the sparse Cargo instrumental demo of Doubts Even Here is incredible - and it dawned on me how similar it sounds to the version of The Eternal they did at the Preston Warehouse gig when all the equipment was packing up. Listen to them back to back and you'll see what I mean.

Was the Cargo session widely known about by fans prior to this boxset? The notes say simply January 1981 - and looking at the gig guide they had a few shows in early January - then nothing till early February. The Peel Session was recorded late January I think. The intro to ICB changed between the Cargo session and the Peel Session, but the rest of the tracks are very similar. I'd guess the recording date at around the 15-20 Jan? Strange that nothing ever surfaced officially - it sounds pretty good to me...

Johnny James  
#257 Posted : 09 April 2019 04:07:37(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dennis Remmer Go to Quoted Post
It really is a remarkable box. Quick highlight for me is Bernard's dancing on Hurt / Peppermint Lounge on the DVD. First footage from that period I've ever seen that has him in other than dour-mode.
DR

There is a moment in ETGG just after he stops playing his melodica where he starts to dance and he sub-consciously apes Ian Curtis - then you can almost feel him realise what he's done and he immediately stops. Must have been a very strange time for him

Other thoughts upon repeated listening - the sparse Cargo instrumental demo of Doubts Even Here is incredible - and it dawned on me how similar it sounds to the version of The Eternal they did at the Preston Warehouse gig when all the equipment was packing up. Listen to them back to back and you'll see what I mean.

Was the Cargo session widely known about by fans prior to this boxset? The notes say simply January 1981 - and looking at the gig guide they had a few shows in early January - then nothing till early February. The Peel Session was recorded late January I think. The intro to ICB changed between the Cargo session and the Peel Session, but the rest of the tracks are very similar. I'd guess the recording date at around the 15-20 Jan? Strange that nothing ever surfaced officially - it sounds pretty good to me...

This should tell you: Cargo Studios Wall Planners

Edited by user 09 April 2019 04:08:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
GotBlueEyes on 09/04/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/04/2019(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#258 Posted : 09 April 2019 04:24:26(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
Interesting. So I assume the New Order Cargo session is where the planner says 'Rob Gretton' (Wed 21 Jan to Fri 23 Jan 1981). John Peel session was recorded on Monday 26 January, so the very next working day - which would explain the similarities (guess changes to ICB intro were decided on over the weekend or on the day of recording the John Peel session).
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
GotBlueEyes  
#259 Posted : 09 April 2019 05:02:00(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post
Interesting. So I assume the New Order Cargo session is where the planner says 'Rob Gretton' (Wed 21 Jan to Fri 23 Jan 1981). John Peel session was recorded on Monday 26 January, so the very next working day - which would explain the similarities (guess changes to ICB intro were decided on over the weekend or on the day of recording the John Peel session).

I just noticed that in Mark Johnson's Ideal For Living book he notes the Movement recording dates as January-July 1981 - which means he must have been aware of and counting the January Cargo session as part of the album sessions. So does that mean there was other stuff from this session that ended up on the album, and what we have in the boxset is just the unreleased stuff or was the whole session scrapped? The Him for example was played at gigs in December 1980 but not in the Cargo recordings?

50 Pound Note  
#260 Posted : 09 April 2019 08:22:25(UTC)
50 Pound Note

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 174 post(s)

I noticed that too, and had the exact same thought.
thanks 2 users thanked 50 Pound Note for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/04/2019(UTC), GotBlueEyes on 10/04/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#261 Posted : 09 April 2019 10:10:42(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)

Rob also hired it out on the Sunday (25th), but the looks of things.

Also, the mixing appears to have been done on the 29th.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
tarbox23  
#262 Posted : 09 April 2019 15:31:45(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Just saw all the latest Movement tracks posted to Youtube via the official NewOrder account...

UserPostedImage

curious if this might backfire and reduce sales of actual product if you can listen to it on youtube

because it sounds fantastic, very clear and remastered or something

never heard the Western Works demos sound so crisp, so used to hearing some crap bootleg cassette I had from the 1980s

Edited by user 09 April 2019 15:35:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 1 user thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
Debaser  
#263 Posted : 09 April 2019 16:07:38(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tarbox23 Go to Quoted Post
Just saw all the latest Movement tracks posted to Youtube via the official NewOrder account...

UserPostedImage

curious if this might backfire and reduce sales of actual product if you can listen to it on youtube

The (virtual) two disc version of the box set was also put on Spotify (the one that Qobuz charge about £30 for). I thought they mght do that in a year's time but was surprised they did it immediately.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
GotBlueEyes  
#264 Posted : 10 April 2019 02:18:09(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

I just noticed that in Mark Johnson's Ideal For Living book he notes the Movement recording dates as January-July 1981 - which means he must have been aware of and counting the January Cargo session as part of the album sessions. So does that mean there was other stuff from this session that ended up on the album, and what we have in the boxset is just the unreleased stuff or was the whole session scrapped? The Him for example was played at gigs in December 1980 but not in the Cargo recordings?

I should have gone straight to Hooky's book - he lists the Cargo demos as 21-23 January, so it was there all along that they demo'ed the album

Originally Posted by: dallywhitty Go to Quoted Post

Yeah - it's fantastic - and very different to the released version. I'm now curious as to when the released versions of Mesh and Cries & Whispers were recorded. Neither MJ or Hooky explicitly mention which session they came from
They both state that Procession and ETGG were recorded at Strawberry on 10-12 March, but no mention of those other two tracks.

There is also a contradiction over when ETGG was actually recorded. MJ states it was written and recorded at the end of the main Movement sessions 24 April-4 May. So it can't have also been recorded nearly 2 months before it was written?!
It wasn't debuted live until 15th May either, so that ties in with the later date. It was also always mentioned as the last session they did with Hannett - so again it can't have been recorded in March as they still had the whole of the Movement sessions to look forward to.

On that basis I think it must have been Mesh / C&W that were recorded in March along with Procession at Strawberry. They are certainly more sonically similar to Procession as opposed to the spacier sound of Movement - and had both already been dropped from the set in the January (the plan for the main Movement sesion was supposed to be the current live set + new songs written in the studio)

ROCKET MICK on 10/04/2019(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#265 Posted : 10 April 2019 02:21:42(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
I have not watched NO videos for years , although i loved them , especially the one that played vicious streak on "pause "If this is cheaper in the future it will be another asset.
I do not ever feel deprived , as there is so much to choose from . NO and Light tours come often enough, all is wonderful .
What i want most of all is for NO to record some new modern super psychedelic electronica , wiith their usual sensitivity, beauty , understanding, bliss, technique ,and the usual stellar , superlative exccellence NO is known for .
In other words , the usual eternal greatness songwise, with mesmerizing fun, interesting, and nearly divine sonic stories with thrills ,spills, chills, and majesty and greatness.
And Eno and a myriad of other wonderful bands and individuals will all thank NO for raising the bar again .Best band ever ,whether they rap, or hop or hip ir pop or go into the depths of our souls . Welcome to the future , the cosmos , and the always football correct ,
The Psychedelic New Order
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#266 Posted : 10 April 2019 05:30:11(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Had 6Music on at work today. Movement is “Album” of the day. Or rather the box set is what they’re playing a lot of today. Senses (Cargo Demo) on Shaun Keaveny right now. Dreams Never End album version got played by I think John Hancock morning show earlier and Mary Anne Hobbs played the alternate Temptation.Steve Morris will be On Radcliffe & Maconie show on 11th May apparently.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#267 Posted : 10 April 2019 09:22:06(UTC)
Fotz

I'm now curious as to when the released versions of Mesh and Cries & Whispers were recorded. Neither MJ or Hooky explicitly mention which session they came from
They both state that Procession and ETGG were recorded at Strawberry on 10-12 March, but no mention of those other two tracks.

There is also a contradiction over when ETGG was actually recorded. MJ states it was written and recorded at the end of the main Movement sessions 24 April-4 May. So it can't have also been recorded nearly 2 months before it was written?!
It wasn't debuted live until 15th May either, so that ties in with the later date. It was also always mentioned as the last session they did with Hannett - so again it can't have been recorded in March as they still had the whole of the Movement sessions to look forward to.

On that basis I think it must have been Mesh / C&W that were recorded in March along with Procession at Strawberry. They are certainly more sonically similar to Procession as opposed to the spacier sound of Movement - and had both already been dropped from the set in the January (the plan for the main Movement sesion was supposed to be the current live set + new songs written in the studio)

Well doesn't the story go that the reason Everything's Gone Green is titled as such is because they came out of the studio after a long day recording an, at that point, untitled track and all the snow that had been on the ground when they went in had all melted and the grass was now visible again and someone said "hey,everything's gone green!" So that sounds to me like March.Snow melting rapidly in a few hours is the kind of thing that happens in March (or anytime of winter really i suppose).So they decided to name their new track Everything's Gone Green.This could of course all be just a story.

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/04/2019(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 11/04/2019(UTC)
afr0puff  
#268 Posted : 10 April 2019 11:25:46(UTC)
afr0puff

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

Well doesn't the story go that the reason Everything's Gone Green is titled as such is because they came out of the studio after a long day recording an, at that point, untitled track and all the snow that had been on the ground when they went in had all melted and the grass was now visible again and someone said "hey,everything's gone green!" So that sounds to me like March.Snow melting rapidly in a few hours is the kind of thing that happens in March (or anytime of winter really i suppose).So they decided to name their new track Everything's Gone Green.This could of course all be just a story.

The story I read was that after a long day of recording and drugs, when they/he stepped out of the recording studio, his vision was altered due to fatigue and drugs. Everything had gone green, and thats where the opening line came from. "Help me, somebody help me. I wonder where I am."
thanks 1 user thanked afr0puff for this useful post.
LostSiren  
#269 Posted : 10 April 2019 12:39:17(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AdamTate Go to Quoted Post

Doubts Even Here is magnificent also.

Yeah, really amazing version - really feels like an extension of the approach of Closer
thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
prog99  
#270 Posted : 10 April 2019 12:49:39(UTC)
prog99

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tarbox23 Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

because it sounds fantastic, very clear and remastered or something

never heard the Western Works demos sound so crisp, so used to hearing some crap bootleg cassette I had from the 1980s

Yes, saw that pop up in my youtube feed, I guess it stops piracy in a strange way. As I'm never going to buy the box set (although I did mull it over in the local record store) I ripped the lot to mp3 and listened to them in the car today. Definitely a lot better than some of the scratchy bootlegs I've heard.
Thought even after it'd gone through original->youtube->mp3 that movement remastered sounded really good and very punchy in the car.
thanks 2 users thanked prog99 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/04/2019(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 11/04/2019(UTC)
MTO  
#271 Posted : 11 April 2019 11:33:38(UTC)
MTO

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
hello all, it's been a very long time since i've come to post.

so... my girlfriend got me the 'movement' box for christmas. girls rule.

it occurred to me i'd acquired a nice set-up/stereo/system over the years, and never listened to the movement-era recordings on it.

in the car, of course: cds, cassettes, aux cord... whatever.

however, new order cuts from that era rarely get played out when i gig. probably just the peter black version of "temptation" from his 3xlp (WU1101-LP), or the cicada version of "everything's gone green" from a promo cd single (PR015618).

the recordings in this box are brilliant. the extras cd is worth the price of admission. the kicks on those old machines hit so hard and fluid. us girls couldn't help but dance a bit. absolutely wonderful! ("watch yer bassbins, i'm tellin' ya.")

i enjoyed reading this long thread before replying. i love to be schooled. i'll teach the folx who don't know things like "what-version-of-in-a-lonely-place-do-you-have." but whilst reading the thread, i hadn't gotten to the alternative 7" mix of "tempatation." posters mentioned the differences, and i was ready for them. my body knew when it was about 2'05" into the track. listen closely, mto... lol

gonna take a break and check out the dvds. i'll just sit close-up on the floor like when i was a kid and then read the book. maybe the cat will join me.

will post thoughts later.

oooh, i bet those dvds are gonna be ridiculous. xx
thanks 2 users thanked MTO for this useful post.
Col72 on 11/04/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/04/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#272 Posted : 11 April 2019 12:03:11(UTC)
Fotz

Watched Peppermint Lounge a second time. Just brilliant. Possibly even better than the Ukrainian House gig. Or just as good but in a different. Such a vast difference from Hurrah a year or so before.Love how Barney fiddles with the machines and creates some great extras.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/04/2019(UTC)
Debaser  
#273 Posted : 11 April 2019 16:54:44(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: prog99 Go to Quoted Post

Yes, saw that pop up in my youtube feed, I guess it stops piracy in a strange way. As I'm never going to buy the box set (although I did mull it over in the local record store) I ripped the lot to mp3 and listened to them in the car today. Definitely a lot better than some of the scratchy bootlegs I've heard.
Thought even after it'd gone through original->youtube->mp3 that movement remastered sounded really good and very punchy in the car.

You ripped all those videos individually? How long did that take?
You know this version has leaked online? If you were going to do naughty things, you could have downloaded the lot in MP3 or FLAC in about five minutes!

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/04/2019(UTC)
prog99  
#274 Posted : 12 April 2019 01:47:33(UTC)
prog99

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: prog99 Go to Quoted Post

You ripped all those videos individually? How long did that take?
You know this version has leaked online? If you were going to do naughty things, you could have downloaded the lot in MP3 or FLAC in about five minutes!

Oh there's a neat little tool to do it. youtube-dl
Wasn't going looking for the tracks but as they were on youtube I didn't go looking elsewhere.
thanks 1 user thanked prog99 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/04/2019(UTC)
Jonathan  
#275 Posted : 12 April 2019 02:09:59(UTC)
Jonathan

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Based on the neworder YT channel video, "Truth" still has the clipped last verse vocal, like every other edition of it ever I think. Except possibly FACUS 50, I could have sworn it didn't clip on that, but I haven't spun it again recently to confirm.

Is the album remaster on this release the same remastering as for the 2015 digital reissues (which I bought at the time and are great)
thanks 1 user thanked Jonathan for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/04/2019(UTC)