logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

14 Pages«<11121314>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#301 Posted : 26 April 2019 09:17:30(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Part 2 was quite good too. No real funny parts though.

Many thanks for the heads up on this Fotzepolitic.

I can't seem to get any of my various copy methods to work, so if someone is able to rip the bits of audio, can you PM me.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/04/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#302 Posted : 26 April 2019 11:44:33(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3607 time(s) in 2612 post(s)
I ripped the audio from the Movement DVD using VLC but it's ended up as one long file of over 180 mins.Anyone kind enough to tell me the way to do it that splits all the individual tracks?
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/04/2019(UTC)
Jcp7  
#303 Posted : 26 April 2019 11:50:32(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 537 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
I ripped the audio from the Movement DVD using VLC but it's ended up as one long file of over 180 mins.Anyone kind enough to tell me the way to do it that splits all the individual tracks?

http://www.dvdae.com/

I used it a long time ago to make some CD with 316 and 511...

Edited by user 26 April 2019 11:52:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
Fotz on 26/04/2019(UTC), Mike C. on 26/04/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 27/04/2019(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#304 Posted : 26 April 2019 13:21:07(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Jcp7 Go to Quoted Post

http://www.dvdae.com/

I used it a long time ago to make some CD with 316 and 511...

Fantastic.Wow.Downloaded the programme and ripped all the audios and they've successfully all come out split as individual files.Many thanks.Will have to organise everything into folders(Peppermint,Hurrah, Riverside etc) and name/tag each file with the song titles, venue and date but that's no problem.I have the lot split as individual tracks now which is what i was after.A great programme to use, really easy.Many many thanks again for this.

Ripped them as MP3s so i can load into iTunes and then to my phone but might rip the lot again another version as FLACS for playing at home.

Edit: Ah, started to name the files with song titles etc but when played one it showed “ track 1, unknown artist “ etc. Decided to re-rip the lot after tagging album, song, artist etc in Audio Extractor first. Quicker to do it that way than go through every file I’d ripped the first time one by laborious one.

Edited by user 26 April 2019 14:54:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#305 Posted : 27 April 2019 01:17:14(UTC)
perspexorange

I ripped the audio from the Movement DVD using VLC but it's ended up as one long file of over 180 mins.

I need to download the radio file first, before i can do anything with it. Sadly, everything I've tried has failed.

Edited by user 27 April 2019 01:19:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#306 Posted : 27 April 2019 02:04:42(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
I ripped the audio from the Movement DVD using VLC but it's ended up as one long file of over 180 mins.

I need to download the radio file first, before i can do anything with it. Sadly, everything I've tried has failed.

I don’t know what a radio file is.

Anyway, get that Audio Extractir jcp7 gave the link to. Fairly simple to use and it seems designed specifically for ripping audio from DVDs and enabling desired splitting in to individual song files. If no luck I can try sending through WeTransfer you the lot I ripped

ROCKET MICK on 02/05/2019(UTC)
Rorschach  
#307 Posted : 23 May 2019 00:58:38(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 367 time(s) in 257 post(s)
I'm a little ashamed to admit that I've probably listened to Movement more times since the DE came out than I had in the previous 32 years. It's not a masterpiece like PC&L, but I have been harsh on it over the years.

I'm loving the demos disc, too. Procession [rehearsal] blew me away the first time I listened to it - reminded me of the first time I fell in love with the band.
thanks 1 user thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/06/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#308 Posted : 23 May 2019 01:16:08(UTC)
perspexorange

The demos are excellent.
Absolutely love them, especially the very different versions of Mesh and Cries and Whispers. Plus the instrumental of Doubts Even Here is wonderful.

I've always liked Movement.
It's probably my fourth favourite New Order LP, after Technique, PC&L and Low Life (Brotherhood and Music Complete battle it out for fifth, just in case you were wondering).

Sung  
#309 Posted : 17 June 2019 14:08:02(UTC)
Sung

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I had no idea that Barney, Hooky, and Steve took turns singing Ceremony in its early incarnation until I saw the Hurrah's video on the DVD. Was this the only time they split a song like this? It was a marvel to witness!
thanks 1 user thanked Sung for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#310 Posted : 17 June 2019 15:46:02(UTC)
perspexorange

I’ve listened to all the very early bootlegs and always assumed that ‘Ceremony’ was sung by Steve (first verse and ‘watching forever’ bit) and Hooky (both choruses).
I was surprised, like you were, when I saw Barney singing the second chorus and ‘watching forever’ bit at Hurrah’s.

I’ve been meaning to dig the 1980 boots out again and have another listen to see if Sumner sang on 'Ceremony' on any of the others. It seems likely that he would’ve done, at least on the US tour.

Edited by user 18 June 2019 12:59:59(UTC)  | Reason: Just to make it clearer that I was talking about 'Ceremony', not other songs...

perspexorange  
#311 Posted : 17 June 2019 15:49:54(UTC)
perspexorange

OK - quick check of 'Ceremony' on the other 1980 gigs:

Blackpool, Hoboken & Boston feature all three of them splitting the lead vocals, with them singing the same bits as they do at Hurrah’s.

I’d presume that the three other pre Gillian gigs (Beach Club, Brady’s and Tier 3) would be the same too, but we don’t have bootlegs of these.
(I’ve heard reports that the Beach Club gig was all instrumentals, but that seems unlikely for 'Ceremony', as lyrics had been written (by Ian) at the time, albeit mostly indecipherable).

As regards the remaining (post Gillian) 1980 gigs (The Squat, Rotterdam and Rochdale), it sounds like Bernard had completely taken over lead vocals on ‘Ceremony’ (although The Squat bootleg is quite murky so can’t be sure). This would make sense, as Gillian would be picking up a lot of the guitar parts, leaving Sumner to focus on the vocals.

The only other track I can think of where vocals were shared live was ‘Cries And Whispers’, with Steve and Hooky singing lead on the track, at different bits.

Generally speaking, in the early days, Hooky sings the unfamiliar bit (i.e. the bit that makes up the majority of the Hurrah’s performance and doesn’t make it to the studio version), whilst Steve sings the more familiar ‘assassin clears his lens’ style lyrics.

This is the case at Scamp’s and during most of the US tour (well, according to the three surviving bootlegs).
However, at Hurrah’s on the tour, they dropped the Steve bit.
My only explanation for this is that they may have found it difficult to replicate following their equipment being stolen not long before this gig, especially in such a short space of time, with limited equipment. Maybe, later in the tour, they were more confident or better prepared to include it.
They also included this bit at The Squat gig in October 1980, after they return to the UK.

However, by the time they get to Rotterdam in the December, the track has changed a bit (to how it sounds on the Cargo demo), with the gruff, shouty Hooky bits being refined into something a bit more melodic. The whole song is sung by Bernard at this point. This is the way that the song remains until it is phased out of the setlist in early 1981.

As far as I know they never performed it like the studio version; ‘live’ it always contained that additional bit.

Talking of oddities, I just finished reading Steve’s book last night and was pleased to see that he makes reference (albeit small) to the very rare track ‘Hour’. As far as I know, that track was only ever played once, at the previous gig to the Hurrah’s one (at Maxwell’s, Hoboken). Steve speculates that it was sung by Hooky. I concur; it certainly sounds like Hooky on the bootleg.

I can kind of see why it was dropped, but it seems strange that they only played it once.
Maybe, with a bit of work, it might have been pretty good.

Edited by user 18 June 2019 13:00:40(UTC)  | Reason: Just to make it clearer that I was talking about 'Ceremony', not other songs...

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Sung on 18/06/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/06/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#312 Posted : 18 June 2019 00:27:47(UTC)
perspexorange

As far as I know they never performed it like the studio version; ‘live’ it always contained that additional bit.

That'll teach me to start quoting stuff without checking first. They reintroduced C&W into the setlist in June / July '83 and this version was basically the same as the studio version.

D'oh!
Sung  
#313 Posted : 18 June 2019 11:39:57(UTC)
Sung

That'll teach me to start quoting stuff without checking first. They reintroduced C&W into the setlist in June / July '83 and this version was basically the same as the studio version.

D'oh!

That's all right, perspexorange -- you've provided such great info that all is forgiven and then some. ;)

I must say, when I come across diehard old fans like you, I'm just filled with so much jealousy for all the time you've had with the band. Of course I'm assuming a lot here, so please feel free to dispute anything I write, but from the few devoted NO fans I've come across, when you collect bootlegs to such degree, you've been a fan a very long time. Me, I didn't even get there until almost the end, Republic. I heard Technique for the first time in '91 and devoured everything I could...and felt so fortunate that they were still coming out with new material. When the Regret single was released in '93, I drove down to my college CD store and bought it as fast as I could. I ended up buying every single from Republic, even Spooky! I even bought Ruined in a Day, which wasn't even released in the US. I guess you can say I was trying to make up for lost time.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hooky play Technique and Republic in October. It's not remotely the same, of course, but it's better than nothing!
perspexorange  
#314 Posted : 19 June 2019 04:59:24(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Sung Go to Quoted Post
I must say, when I come across diehard old fans like you, I'm just filled with so much jealousy for all the time you've had with the band. Of course I'm assuming a lot here, so please feel free to dispute anything I write, but from the few devoted NO fans I've come across, when you collect bootlegs to such degree, you've been a fan a very long time. Me, I didn't even get there until almost the end, Republic. I heard Technique for the first time in '91 and devoured everything I could...and felt so fortunate that they were still coming out with new material. When the Regret single was released in '93, I drove down to my college CD store and bought it as fast as I could. I ended up buying every single from Republic, even Spooky! I even bought Ruined in a Day, which wasn't even released in the US. I guess you can say I was trying to make up for lost time.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hooky play Technique and Republic in October. It's not remotely the same, of course, but it's better than nothing!

To be honest, I’m not that far ahead of you when it comes to the year I got into the band (1987) and I didn’t actually get to see them live until 1993 (mainly due to them doing very few UK gigs after I turned 16 in 1988).

In respect of long-time fans, there are some on this board who have been following them since the early 80s (maybe even as JD).

These are the ones that I’m jealous of; those who got to see the band in the ‘tense, nervous headache’ days of 1981-2 or the hedonistic days of ‘85-‘89.
Wow! What I wouldn’t give for a time machine.

So, I guess what I’m saying is, no matter when you got into them, it’s all good.

But, yeah, I’m pretty passionate about collecting bootlegs.
Been helped out loads by people on this board for which I’m eternally grateful.

Decent bunch of guys here. 😊
Benj65  
#315 Posted : 20 June 2019 04:34:02(UTC)
Benj65

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Yep, I first heard of Joy Division in Year 11 at school (NZ winter 1981) and then New Order a few weeks later. As I have already said, NZ had an All-Nighter syndicated radio show which specialized in global post-punk, so the first NO tracks I heard were Ceremony, Dreams Never End, ICB, Procession and (most importantly) EGG 7". These were initially only available via imports, but ECG and Movement were eventually released locally in inferior sleeves. New Order immediately appealed to me, although Joy Division were the ultimate band in my mind at the time, eventually in 1982 I got my act together and started importing the FAC 12" singles via Australia and Adrian's Mail Order in Wickford, Essex.

In those days you had to buy a Money Order for sterling and wait for months before they turned up. The way I listened after midnight enhanced the somewhat mysterious quality of EGG, still the most important song in their canon IMHO, as it marked the decisive break from the past. I was hooked and even the confusing lyrics of Temptation (what colour were the eyes, FFS???) didn't put me off.

Obviously there was no chance of seeing NO until, joy of joys, they toured in Dec 1982, Tue 6th and Thu 8th to be precise. First gig was pretty terrible (due to excessive marijuana consumption or jetlag, depending on who you believe - is there a bootleg of that???) but the second, the hastily re-scheduled gig after the Christchurch canceled show was pretty damned fine. I attended in my school uniform as my final school prize giving was earlier that evening and I had done well enough (English prize and proxime accessit, in case you are following this far) to blag 20 bucks off the Old Man which was enough to get me and my 2 no good mates in on the door. Heaps of fun watching Barney bantering with the thuggish bootboys and Hooky scowling the entire time. One of the first times they played Blue Monday, innit?

So when PCL & BM were was released locally in May 1983, it was totally wonderful, the sun came out and we were away.

To return to Sung's point, I was therefore raised in the tense, edgy days of 1981-2 as they transitioned and blossomed into the most wonderful and exquisite cutting-edge band of 1983-7, a million miles from Salford and Macclesfield. Tbh, I kind of think it all went a bit downhill from Brotherhood, with certain notable exceptions (TF, 1963 and Regret). So by the time you guys were getting up, I was already off to me bed.

Funny, eh?
thanks 2 users thanked Benj65 for this useful post.
Andy on 20/06/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/06/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#316 Posted : 21 June 2019 01:14:00(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Benj65 Go to Quoted Post
I was therefore raised in the tense, edgy days of 1981-2 as they transitioned and blossomed into the most wonderful and exquisite cutting-edge band of 1983-7, a million miles from Salford and Macclesfield.

Yep - you're exactly the sort of person I'm immensely jealous of. Big Grin

I kind of think it all went a bit downhill from Brotherhood, with certain notable exceptions (TF, 1963 and Regret).

But... but... but... t-t-t-t-t-Technique!!!! The 'perfect' album.
It's sacrilege to say anything against it in my eyes. Smile

Great story anyway, Benj. Thanks for sharing!
Sung  
#317 Posted : 21 June 2019 07:47:34(UTC)
Sung

I kind of think it all went a bit downhill from Brotherhood, with certain notable exceptions (TF, 1963 and Regret).

But... but... but... t-t-t-t-t-Technique!!!! The 'perfect' album.
It's sacrilege to say anything against it in my eyes. Smile

I've always considered Technique to be their best, too -- perfect indeed, one of my "stuck on a desert island albums" hands down. I also think Get Ready gets panned way more than it should -- it's got such a different sound than anything else they've done. But that 81-82 EP is really something special, isn't it? EGG and Temptation are so damn good, though if I'm being honest, I prefer Temptation from Substance. The EP version has that raw energy, but the Substance version is too shiny to resist.

Going back to the subject at hand, I've really only enjoyed Dreams Never End off of Movement. I always found it strange that the rest of the album really isn't on the same trajectory, especially in light of the later two JD hits, Atmosphere and Love Will Tear Us Apart, that preceded it. Seems like they would've kept going in that direction, but then again, the death of Ian obviously threw the band into a major loop. Certainly PCL set NO into proper motion.
Michael Monkhouse  
#318 Posted : 22 June 2019 02:26:05(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Feels like I've been here before.
Feels like I've been here....................... before.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Debaser  
#319 Posted : 22 June 2019 03:04:52(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2982 time(s) in 2067 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Feels like I've been here....................... before.

But you haven't been to a NO gig before. They're hammering it at the moment. Go while you still can. Otherwise you'll Regret it one day.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#320 Posted : 23 June 2019 00:45:35(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Strangely, even though I've been a fan for 30 years, I've never seen them together - just Electronic (once) and Hooky (lost count). If The Other Two tour, I could make it up, but I think The Other Two are total fucking shit. The closest I got was Reading 93 but my spex broke at the last minute and the thoughty of hearing without seeing took the proverbial pee.
The set lists look the most interesting in years and they're coming to Italy but it's so fucking expensive these days. I calculated the Spice Girls would cost about 600 quid - two tickets (one for my partner cos she'd only be going for me), travel, accommodation, psychiatrist's bill for having been in the same hemisphere as Sporty...
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Benj65 on 24/06/2019(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/06/2019(UTC)
Benj65  
#321 Posted : 24 June 2019 00:27:53(UTC)
Benj65

Yes MM, I only really enjoyed seeing NO the first two gigs in 1982, that was my transcendent experience, can hardly remember anything of Auckland 1985, apart from a man puffing on a briar pipe next to me with a beatific expression, falling over unconscious after one too many tokes. That was funny.

Didn't even go to Wellington 1987, no memory of them even touring.

Yep, perspex orange, I have never, ever, actually listened to Technique all the way through, and yet I still have the nerve call NO my favourite band. But the belief that everything they recorded was Holy Writ went sometime around Perfect Kiss. Started to pick and choose by then, for sure.

Having said that I am very keen to listen to the new Movement and the demos and watch the DVDs, but just can't afford it.

thanks 1 user thanked Benj65 for this useful post.
Benj65  
#322 Posted : 16 December 2019 08:11:02(UTC)
Benj65

So, in case anyone else is interested and late to the party like me, amazon.co.uk has this box set at 67 quid, free delivery. Hopefully getting one for Xmas.
thanks 1 user thanked Benj65 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/12/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#323 Posted : 16 December 2019 12:52:55(UTC)
perspexorange

That's a great price for a superb set!

Edited by user 12 January 2020 10:08:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 17/12/2019(UTC)
perspexorange  
#324 Posted : 12 January 2020 10:09:18(UTC)
perspexorange

From the joydiv.org forums:

PatTeasdale wrote:
Anyone who is still looking to purchase New Order’s ‘Movement - Definitive Edition’ box set, it’s worth noting that it’s available brand new on Amazon now for £68 delivered ... with an additional £10 discount available for buyers who install and use Amazon’s App for the first time (FYI - you have to scroll down once in the App to find the £10 off banner)

So £58 delivered ... which is about half of its original RRP..... and I’ve got to say it’s a beautifully put together box set, with killer footage on the DVD, brilliant Cargo Studio demo’s of the ‘Movement’ tracks, quality hard book etc

So even more reason to buy it, folks!
ROCKET MICK on 13/01/2020(UTC)
negative1  
#325 Posted : 13 January 2020 16:16:10(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Just got my copy today. Used, but in near mint condition for US$75.

Loving the book, and watching the DVD right now. Awesome to delve back into their past.
The sound is good quality also.

I already heard all the demos and other tracks before, so no surprises there.

Glad I waited it out. Don't know if I will for the PCL box, but that's still a ways off.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/01/2020(UTC)