logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

21 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Michael Monkhouse  
#176 Posted : 21 August 2017 22:08:25(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I used to be a big fan of ConOmFusArsIOn but paradoxically it's dated worse than the original.
With Factory the mixes usually had a lot in common with the original and even if they didn't, the band might launch into them live (I'm thinking Feel Every Beat or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0V0f7rdHHI), implying they were at least part of them. The endless rehashes really started with TF 94 (or even Spooky), just cos London were desperate to recoup their investment. I was a superfan in the mid-90s but even I found it hard to get excited about stuff that was (a) so obviously about money first and quality second, and (b) so totally lacking in the original sound. I think it was Lionrock's three Nearly-totally-and-utterly-unlike 1963 mixes that finally convinced me to stop bothering... http://forums.neworderon...spx?g=posts&m=20275.
It's strange... MC is my favourite album from this camp since Electronic but I couldn't be arsed with tracking down all the remixes this time around. It's a combination of money, lack of interest / storage space, the digital free-for-all and also - I'm nearly 45. I'm far too old to get a boner every time a rarity hits the stores. It would be disrespectful to Melanie C.
PS Cerys Smith is a wanker.

Edited by user 22 August 2017 03:20:50(UTC)  | Reason: Spammers

thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/08/2017(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 23/08/2017(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#177 Posted : 30 August 2017 20:49:31(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Was thanked: 359 time(s) in 212 post(s)
Young Offender + Liar reviews now posted.
thanks 1 user thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/09/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#178 Posted : 30 August 2017 23:33:38(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I went through YO before.
In 1993 the O-Zone said NO had brought credibility to the footie record (a lot of competetion there) so would they ever consider doing a song for Eurovision? Bernard said No - but they did and it's Liar. Boy, it sucks like a toothless whore. There was a negative review of Rep in Select and it criticised 'the cloying POLITENESS of it all - Hague gives a little bit of room for the bass parts and then Bernard can sing etc.' Actually, reviews were quite positive, probably cos they were coming from an overall pop perspective rather than a we-want-Technique-2-with-Hooky fan perspective. Even Select said, 'It isn't a bad album, just an inert one.' In fact, the build-up was super-positive - Radio 1 saying 'Technique was good but that was for the 80s: this is the same for the 90s,' a 2-part NME article ('Republic is great') and - after release - that Paul Lester NME shite: 'Republic shows they are currently making the finest music of their lives.' Bollocks cos it wasn't current either.
After Dennis' Avalanche piece, I will banish Republic from my life forever. I've spent far too much time on a bland, mediocre puddle of pooh that makes One Direction sound like the Sex Pistols.

Edited by user 30 August 2017 23:37:41(UTC)  | Reason: I like Melanie C's shoulderblades

Dennis Remmer on 31/08/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/09/2017(UTC)
Debaser  
#179 Posted : 31 August 2017 05:08:51(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Random Question: Is there any way for the reader to minimize the banner accross the top of the blog screen?
*EDIT* Also did the blog change at some point from every *key* NO track to just every track?

Young Offender adopts not just the pianos but other electronic sounds of early 90's house/dance. But by '93 it sounded like NO were playing catch-up with this stuff rather than setting the template. Also, instead of capturing the excitement of house/rave at the time, YO manages to bland things out - so you get a commercial pop-house thing that East 17 would have been proud of instead of a bangin tune. Same could be said for Spooky - it goes for a BIG start with the drums and the "Bass Mechanic" blast and then melts into an almost ambient tune. Zzz.

As for Liar, yes even blander. In fact both of these tunes sound a bit too "Electronic" for my tastes. I always end up yawning when I listen to Electronic. I think Bernard needs some feistiness, stimulation or conflct to stop him slipping into 'easy' mode (see Bad Loo). Perhaps these tracks were so 'Bernard' that the absent other members of NO weren't keeping him on his toes.

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
bland, mediocre puddle of pooh that makes One Direction sound like the Sex Pistols.

I don't always agree with your NO "scathe" MM, but...yes.

Edited by user 31 August 2017 05:42:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#180 Posted : 31 August 2017 12:05:40(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Yep, pretty much what Dennis said.Young Offender has all the great production tricks and some flashy keyboards and synths and beats and Liar has some club friendly sounds but they, much like a lot of Republic, fall short and don't astonish or leave you speechless like earlier NO stuff on P,C& L or Low Life.The Pet Shep Boys' Young Offender is the best song with that song title.What else can i say about Liar.... um..... i first heard it on Jakki Brambles Radio 1 show on that station's New Order day in April 93.Erm, or maybe it was on frickin Steve Wright's show.Whatever.

Dee Lewis is the backing singer on Liar? Hang on, didn't she do backing vocs for Style Council ? If not who am i getting mixed up with?
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer  
#181 Posted : 31 August 2017 16:27:54(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Random Question: Is there any way for the reader to minimize the banner accross the top of the blog screen?

It's the way the Wordpress template being used handles the images. I like it but am obviously extremely biased.

Also did the blog change at some point from every *key* NO track to just every track?

No - always intended to do all tracks, but in the sense of focussing on the key recording of that track.

Thanks for the feedback. DR
Dennis Remmer  
#182 Posted : 31 August 2017 16:36:04(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Dee Lewis is the backing singer on Liar? Hang on, didn't she do backing vocs for Style Council ? If not who am i getting mixed up with?

Not sure about Style Council...

I figured that a) she was the only credited backing singer, b) she is a backing singer, and c) Liar has female backing vox, so ergo she must be the backing singer on Liar.

Edited by user 31 August 2017 16:37:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Michael Monkhouse  
#183 Posted : 31 August 2017 22:32:48(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I always end up yawning when I listen to Electronic.

If you mean the first Electronic album, I couldn't agree less. The first 30 seconds kick more butt than all of Republic. As for the second, that was a pile of steaming gnu poo: 3 years, Kraftwank, Bernard's talk of '47 ideas - it sounds really fucking good - Johnny's got this virtual guitar' etc, and what did we end up with? MOR, hackneyed synth, yawnsome pop pap. There may be a decent album to be culled from it and the Bsides but I can't be arsed. Twisted Tender Mess was OK but the magic had gone.
BL has its down points (Dynamo is Bernard at his lyrically weakest) but enough ups to make it worthwhile: Runaway, Poisonous Intent, another one.
People think I'm always slagging off NO but I ain't. I just try to keep things in perspective. In 93 I was reading stuff like 'The most important band since the 60s' and then hearing Liar - or 'home to the most exciting sound in the post punk world' / Chemical - or 'powerful, bass-driven rock' / World. I didn't fall for the hype and when they went on hold indefinitely it just felt like having their cake and eating it.
FIVE THINGS I LIKE ABOUT REPUBLIC
1. Regret
2. Special
3. It came out exactly 2 years, 9 months, a few weeks and a day or something before the Spice Girls.
4. If you take the word 'Republic', mix the letters up, take some letters away, add some more letters and then mix them up again, it spells 'Spice Girls'.
5. That is the end of my 5 things I like about Republic. I hope you enjoyed them.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
The Shadow  
#184 Posted : 01 September 2017 07:30:31(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Excellent thought provoking review from the DR.

Electronic music was at its strongest imo between 92-96. After the rave scene artists really started pushing the boundaries on albums as well as 12". Think Aphext twin, artifiacial intelligence series of albums, then you had 2nd wave Detroit such as the mighty Underground Resistance, Carl Craig and soon to be Drexciya . Added to that the Berlin sound of basic channel.

Then you get the b side to republic (the A side is strong) sounding tired to the background of other electronic music, more of the boring house sound of that day rather than the innovative sound from elsewhere. Liar is probably my least favourite New Order track t(yes worse than RTS) followed closely by Chemical. Young Offender is just an ok tune for me.

The album needed more dance / guitar crossover and for that it needed more Hooky bass. I prefer it more now than I did at time of release, and that's probably because I no longer go to clubs and listen to less pure electronic music. It was New order reforming in 98 that made me go to gigs again and their 2001 tour took me back out of the clubs and into going to gigs again.
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#185 Posted : 02 September 2017 03:50:29(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dennis Remmer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

Not sure about Style Council...

I figured that a) she was the only credited backing singer, b) she is a backing singer, and c) Liar has female backing vox, so ergo she must be the backing singer on Liar.

Ah i wasn't questioning the fact Dee Lewis was the backing singer on Liar.Like you state, Dee Lewis is indeed the backing singer on that song.I was sure she was a backing singer for Style Council also but it turns out i was getting her mixed up with Dee C Lee who did do backing vox for Style Council (most notably on Walls Come Tumbling Down ) amongst others and later a little solo success.It was the first name "Dee" and the surname beginning with "Le" that got me mixed up.

Edited by user 02 September 2017 04:32:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#186 Posted : 09 September 2017 08:20:34(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

The true joy of Republic is not its intrinsic quality, but its nostalgic and evocative qualities... Hear a track and even if you don't like it think, OMG: this takes me back - I was doing THIS thing in THAT place and felt THIS way, and boy, things really were totally and utterly fucking shit. But now, things really are total and utter fucking shit too. And since then till now, things really have been just total and utter fucking shit as well. And even before that song (which is, in itself, total and utter fucking shit) things were indeed total, utter fucking shit... I wonder what the future holds... Thanks Republic, you're AWESOME.
ROCKET MICK on 09/09/2017(UTC)
Coops  
#187 Posted : 09 September 2017 08:39:32(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
The true joy of Republic is not its intrinsic quality, but its nostalgic and evocative qualities... Hear a track and even if you don't like it think, OMG: this takes me back - I was doing THIS thing in THAT place and felt THIS way, and boy, things really were totally and utterly fucking shit. But now, things really are total and utter fucking shit too. And since then till now, things really have been just total and utter fucking shit as well. And even before that song (which is, in itself, total and utter fucking shit) things were indeed total, utter fucking shit... I wonder what the future holds... Thanks Republic, you're AWESOME.

I'd never thought of it like that.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/09/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#188 Posted : 11 September 2017 08:53:00(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

That Chemical review is actually more than kind! This is like an exorcism for me: I'm gonna go through this useless album for the last time and then forget it forever.
Remember: For everyone who doesn't like Chemical, there's always someone else who doesn't like it either.

Edited by user 11 September 2017 08:54:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dennis Remmer on 11/09/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/09/2017(UTC)
Debaser  
#189 Posted : 11 September 2017 09:46:02(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Got to admit my comments about Young Offender above may have been harsh. It's an absolute masterpiece in pop song-ery compared to Chemical. Y.O. may have been keeping up with the times rather than setting the pace, but at least it had a reasonable tune. Chemical...has nothing.

This is like an exorcism for me: I'm gonna go through this useless album for the last time and then forget it forever.

I dunno about that. Republic gave us Regret, World, RIAD (esp. Reunited in a Day mix, albeit that version wasn't on the album) and Avalanche. Everyone Everywhere was pleasant (especially the end section) and I also like parts of Times Change, believe it or not. It wasn't all bad.

I reckon the real trudge for Dennis will be Get Ready once he gets past Crystal. The rest of the album is so boring, I don't know how Dennis is going to get through it all. Short reviews (like Chemcial) will perhaps be the answer. I would suggest that the Mission Impossible theme is more enjoyable than most of Get Ready, maybe lump it in and tack on Here To Stay (great tune) in order to show that 'era' as more than a big snoooze. Much prefer WFTSC myself... And MC obvs.
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer on 11/09/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/09/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#190 Posted : 11 September 2017 10:03:03(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

It's an absolute masterpiece in pop song-ery compared to Chemical.

Getting your head kicked in is an absolute joy compared to getting your head kicked in, sliced into six million pieces, rammed up your bottom and then set fire to by a member of One Direction.
ROCKET MICK on 12/09/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#191 Posted : 11 September 2017 10:05:36(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Get Ready once he gets past Crystal. The rest of the album is so boring.

Primitive Notion... Vicious Streak... even Turn My Way. They may not be stunning but they have more guts than Republic.
This really has to stop.
Dennis Remmer  
#192 Posted : 11 September 2017 20:09:12(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Chemical and Times Change reviews now posted.

...more fibre needed...

Coops  
#193 Posted : 11 September 2017 23:19:58(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
I remember laughing out loud at the rap on Times Change, much like I did when I heard Feel Every Beat for the first time (Have YOU ever been the victim in a violent fight? Phone Sumner Securities on 0161 1991) but over the years it's grown on me and I've gotten over it. Reading on here it's clear people are still VERY ANGRY about these things but, meh, nostalgia is pretty good for painting over cracks, I find.

I could be wrong but I always thought Times Change and it's references to Port-Royal Town was a metaphor for what was going down in the MCR at the time in which case wouldn't that make it the only Manchester themed song New Order did? Unless it was actually another metaphor for Factory in which case, yawn, get over yourself Sumner, nobody twisted your arm, son.
thanks 2 users thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/09/2017(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 12/09/2017(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#194 Posted : 12 September 2017 00:05:05(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
There are plenty of fine songs from their early period ,while they were in their 20's (JD-LL)and many more from their middle period(B,T,and R) ,as they were now in their 30's . And they actually have plenty more from their late period , their 40 's (GR-LS, and 7singles )
Any single period I choose I have a better, more interesting and exciting group of songs than any of their rivals , contemporaries, bands or individual's entire careers, including current bands .
But they're now in their 50's and with BL and MC adding more fine songs their late,late period is also great.
I expect 2 or 3 more albums of songs. And
Live shows and many extras .
They are the best band ever by far with more than plenty of great songs
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#195 Posted : 12 September 2017 02:01:19(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I actually loved FEB and I'm amazed (well, I've had time to come to terms with it) it barely scraped the Top 40 - while the limp, lame shame of Getting Awank with Shit was a megashit. Disappointed was hardly bush in the envelope either.
Even sychophant, no-objectivity-at-all Paul Lester commented re TC, 'When Bernard can't sing, it's great. When he can't rap, it's embarrassing. Remember FEB?' We probably did, given it was just two years before with practically bugger all inbetween. Even I don't drink that much.
It's an ironic title for a copycat track on their least innovative album ever. The synth always struck me as the electro equivalent of power chords and there's a tiny bit of Hooky at the end but it's too little too late. The constant comparisons with Electronic were lost on me cos said album was approximately 545990970654 Light Decades (see what I did there?) ahead. And that yellow fever / hay is sub Dolores Cranberry.
Only two more songs and then Republic is like Melanie C. Something I want to put to bed forever.

Edited by user 12 September 2017 02:03:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 12/09/2017(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 12/09/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#196 Posted : 22 September 2017 22:40:22(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Coops Go to Quoted Post
Unless it was actually another metaphor for Factory in which case, yawn, get over yourself Sumner, nobody twisted your arm, son.

Round and Round was apparently about Tony and - another Monkhouse scoop - Liar definitely was. 'I can't stand the music' was reportedly cos they used to have MTV playing all day and Barney hated it (remember this was before the Spice Girls).
Did anyone else notice how the Other Two left a certain Mr Wilson off their 'thank yous' on the first CD? Petty, small-minded, arrogant little wankers. The guy funded the first Joy Division album so you'd probably be cleaning the bogs in a strip club without his generosity. I know he wasn't overstruck by the Other Two And You and was banking on New Order, but let's not forget, said LP was a total and utter pile of shit and almost as bad as Reflange. Wise choice.
Bernard said the 'payroll' line wasn't specifically about Factory, but I found it hard to imagine him penning such a line in 1988. He also said RIAD sounds like it's about Factory but wasn't: they all went out and got 'zonked' and then wrote this tune. Again, I can't picture 1992's NO hanging out together at all, let alone bashing out a (practically Hook-free) track afterwards, and got the impression he was talking about Technique.
I had a friend at university. Really, I did. He used to change the lyrics to 'This is how it feels to be / On London and not Factory'. He wasn't my friend after that.
Writing songs about the fact you write songs really is a cop-out - like 'Loved It (The Other Track)'. It's similar to ''''''ironically'''''' crap comedians who are just crap, or writing a book about being unable to write a book. Just do your job.
The only decent thing about Repubelick is the track order. Imagine if it kicked off with Liar and climaxed with Chemical...
One more track and then I will never bother with it again. I was always attempting to find something worthwhile but not any more... I'm sick of trying. I mean it. It's over.

Edited by user 24 September 2017 00:39:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 23/09/2017(UTC)
Jcp7  
#197 Posted : 23 September 2017 05:38:54(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 537 post(s)
@Michael
You don't seem to understand that Wilson was not God.
Steve and Gillian did it before 1994.
thanks 1 user thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#198 Posted : 23 September 2017 09:13:47(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Not sure what your point is. They have two daughters so by Monty Python logic they did it twice.
I'm not a huge fan of Tony Wilson. It would be unfair to Mel C.
The Other Two album was ready before Republic and Tony was reportedly iffy about releasing it cos he - understandably - thought (well, knew) the NO LP would be a safer bet. Given that he'd risked his life's savings on Unknown Pleasures, let the notoriously shambolic 80's New Order do what the fuck they liked and even given Hooky carte blanche with that shitty, misogynistic, my-equally-important-bandfellows-can-fuck-off-out-of-it Pineapple Feces vid, I can understand his scepticism, and I find The Other Two's comments extremely unfair. I saw a vid where Steve actually got a whole sentence out and called Wilson a 'gobshite' - a tad ungrateful, perchance?

Edited by user 24 September 2017 00:38:05(UTC)  | Reason: Yes we can

Andy  
#199 Posted : 23 September 2017 09:30:43(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Release schedule was in London's, not Wilson's hands by then. Original plan was for Movin' On to be lead-up single to LP release in late 1992 (Moby mix eventually backed Selfish single ).
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#200 Posted : 23 September 2017 09:41:01(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Yeah! Some interesting comments at http://forums.neworderon...sts&t=3362#post22639 ...
Everyone in 93 was going on about how FINAL the end of Rep sounded and would Reading be the end etc. I must've been the only one to pick up on the irony of people's despairing over the end of a band who had so OBVIOUSLY run out of steam. 'OMG, I WANNA WAIT ANOTHER 4 YEARS FER ANOTHER ALBUM AS BAD AS REPUBLIC, ANOTHER HANDFUL OF TIRED, FORMULAIC GIGS AT 5650876087549739-DOLLAR YANKEE STADIUMS AFTER 4546756543480984 SUB-BLUR ACTS AND ANOTHER PRETENTIOUS, WANKY, UNWATCHABLE PAUL BORELY DOC NARRATED BY SOME AMERICAN GIRL WHO SOUNDS LIKE SHE'S GIVING HERSELF A KIT-KAT SHUFFLE... PLEASE don't bail out on me, you fuck shites.'

Edited by user 24 September 2017 00:44:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified