logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages«<101112
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Del Boy  
#276 Posted : 27 June 2017 11:59:38(UTC)
Del Boy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Yes, the photo with Bernard and Gillian is I am sure very much deliberate. Given Hooky's stance that 'she' can't be trusted to press the right buttons so Bernard has to go and do it....
thanks 1 user thanked Del Boy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/06/2017(UTC)
No Barcode  
#277 Posted : 09 July 2017 14:37:31(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Two things, among others, I found revealing in the book: 1) that Bernard denied anyone to do back vocals and did it himself, although everyone in the band was capable of singing and Hooky was the one who had to step up to the mic when Bernard was way off his head; interesting to note though that Phil and Tom (?) provide back vocals in Music Complete; and 2) that (kinda related to #1) the male voice in Fine Time belonged to Bernard (they slowed it down) and not some obscure sample, which I find pretty awesome. The production of Technique was so self-sufficient; thank God they kept Stephen Hague away, he would have totally fucked it up.

I also think that Hooky believes he might have been a better singer when NO just formed but "autocratic" Barney took over and cut off everyone from the singing duties. And let's be honest, Sumner's early singing (live particularly) was terrible. I mean, we've all got used to him and all, but to an outsider he sounded bad (basing on many people's comments I received).

And one more thing: Hooky is the integral part of NO sound. It's like Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. You can't have Led Zeppelin without Page, even if Plant is singing. I mean, obviously I don't refuse to see post-Hook New Order but... Honestly, they should have it called it day in 1993 for good, with a few reunion concerts here and there if the moment feels right, but that's it. They never outdid their 80s output, and probably never will. Like I like Crystal, but the album didn't live up to it (exactly as Republic didn't live up to Regret). And I don't even want to go into WFTSC.

Edited by user 09 July 2017 19:44:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
blunt laser  
#278 Posted : 10 July 2017 00:50:02(UTC)
blunt laser

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 55 post(s)
The one person who never gets a mention is Michael Johnson, its possible he contributed more to the NO sound than is given credit for. Can't be a coincidence that every album since Technique hasn't been as good. I suspect Republic could've been way better without Hague, obviously they needed referee but i think they chose the wrong guy!
thanks 1 user thanked blunt laser for this useful post.
Deceiver  
#279 Posted : 10 July 2017 01:40:41(UTC)
Deceiver

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Originally Posted by: No Barcode Go to Quoted Post
The production of Technique was so self-sufficient; thank God they kept Stephen Hague away, he would have totally fucked it up.

Why do you say that? Hague could have done a very good version of Fine Time - it's just his sort of track. Round & Round, the single, was okay.

I think Hague needs A Little Respect (hope you see what I did there), he's a brilliant producer. Critical New Order fans appear to focus on what they believe he didn't do rather than credit him for what's there. Let's not forget he's also got songwriting credits for True Faith, 1963, and Republic - okay, Bernard wasn't too happy about him having songwriting credits on Republic, we've learned from Hooky. The point is classics like True Faith, World in Motion, and Regret may not have been as good without him...

thanks 1 user thanked Deceiver for this useful post.
Deceiver  
#280 Posted : 10 July 2017 01:55:35(UTC)
Deceiver

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Originally Posted by: No Barcode Go to Quoted Post
Two things, among others, I found revealing in the book: 1) that Bernard denied anyone to do back vocals and did it himself, although everyone in the band was capable of singing and Hooky was the one who had to step up to the mic when Bernard was way off his head; interesting to note though that Phil and Tom (?) provide back vocals in Music Complete; and 2) that (kinda related to #1) the male voice in Fine Time belonged to Bernard (they slowed it down) and not some obscure sample, which I find pretty awesome.

I also think that Hooky believes he might have been a better singer when NO just formed but "autocratic" Barney took over and cut off everyone from the singing duties. And let's be honest, Sumner's early singing (live particularly) was terrible. I mean, we've all got used to him and all, but to an outsider he sounded bad (basing on many people's comments I received).

I thought Rob Gretton decided who the singer would be? Even Hook admits Bernard was the right choice, based on the way they play. I can't remember Bernard denying backing vocals in the book, but I take your word for it. Hook actually has a good vocal for backing because he, fittingly, has a bass singing voice. Unfortunately for him, this doesn't make for a very good lead vocal. He does the Joy Division ones okay, but struggles with New Order tracks, as Bernard is probably a tenor. His best vocals were on One True Passion, where his voice seemed higher, and sounded a bit like Bernard on tracks such as Slave...

thanks 2 users thanked Deceiver for this useful post.
79order on 10/07/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#281 Posted : 10 July 2017 09:27:04(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Does anyone still believe the Hookster? 'Chapman will do a duet with ex-Spice. Tom 'n' Geri.'
I finally got to read some of this book on pdf cos it's hard to track down in the Eternal Shitty. I was really bored and even I couldn't get through more than 5 pages. Zzzzzz.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
79order on 10/07/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC)
No Barcode  
#282 Posted : 10 July 2017 17:22:59(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Originally Posted by: blunt laser Go to Quoted Post
The one person who never gets a mention is Michael Johnson... ...the wrong guy!

I agree, Johnson worked on every album from Closer to Technique. I don't remember, maybe he was mentioned in "Blue Monday Diaries", a book by Butterworth (?) who sat through the PC&L sessions.
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#283 Posted : 10 July 2017 22:46:07(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I think Michael Johnson lost it after the 'Bad' album in 1988.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2017(UTC), 79order on 21/09/2017(UTC)
tintin99  
#284 Posted : 17 August 2017 11:37:20(UTC)
tintin99

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Del Boy Go to Quoted Post
Yes, the photo with Bernard and Gillian is I am sure very much deliberate. Given Hooky's stance that 'she' can't be trusted to press the right buttons so Bernard has to go and do it....

Actually, what Pete Hook says in the book is not his stance, it's Bernard's. Bernard did not trust her; Hooky is simply stating that. From what he says about Bernard in the rest of the book, he seemed very controlling, and got more so as the years progressed.
thanks 1 user thanked tintin99 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/08/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#285 Posted : 18 August 2017 02:57:40(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Boy, is it boring! I was bored shitless and even I couldn't get past the first page.
The most unintentionally hilarious autobiography is (S)Ex Pistol Steve Jones: 'Lydon fell out with McLaren when the latter chose Russ Meyer to direct the film. He wrote a long letter saying Meyer's work was 'infantile, artistically inept and an affront to female dignity and male intelligence.' McLaren replied that he was actually 'a gentleman, a true professional and in his own way just as radical as the band.' All I knew was he made movies about girls with big tits, which sounded great to me.'
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/08/2017(UTC)
is it bro  
#286 Posted : 20 September 2017 12:00:07(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Finally downloaded the book. Although I doubt the accuracy, it is a riveting read. It would explain why when I watch old clips of gigs, Barney acts so pissed off the whole time.

I’m up to the Substance era and 4 things struck me:

1) why doesn’t Hooky show one ounce of remorse to his first wife Iris, for all his antics? Is he really that belevant?
2) why didn’t any wives (or girlfriends) accompany the band members (excluding Gillian obviously) on tour? They must have had at least an inclin as to what their “guilty partners” were up to?
3) neither hooky nor summer strike me as shrinking violets. So why the hell didn’t they stand up to rob gretton over money, business decisions, etc?
4) why didn’t they ever try and write a song while in the moment of post gig euphoria? Instead of always when hungover the day after (with those last minute 5am dodgy lyrics)?
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#287 Posted : 22 September 2017 23:30:07(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Deceiver Go to Quoted Post
His best vocals were on One True Passion, where his voice seemed higher, and sounded a bit like Bernard on tracks such as Slave...

Worst thing ever to come out of this camp. Even worse than The Other Splooge. Really bad. Just - really bad. Bad.
The official line was that Rob chose Gillian: they wanted someone who could fit in by being a competent musician but not having a recognisable style that would take them over. As for her technical abilities I really can't comment. The Other Two are crap though.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/09/2017(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#288 Posted : 02 October 2017 04:50:37(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)

I see the paperback is £3 in Fopp at the moment for those that are interested (is there anybody on this board who is interested that hasn't already got a copy?)
thanks 2 users thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
Debaser on 02/10/2017(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 02/10/2017(UTC)
Debaser  
#289 Posted : 28 December 2018 06:11:10(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ken Doherty Go to Quoted Post

I see the paperback is £3 in Fopp at the moment for those that are interested (is there anybody on this board who is interested that hasn't already got a copy?)

It seems they have stopped printing the paperback edition (maybe the hardback too?) but Fopp have been ordering in batches of old stock and continuing to sell the book for £3.
I mention this now because HMV are reported to be calling in administrators (again) as we speak. And HMV owns Fopp. So today may be your last chance to get in there.
I actually liked Fopp more than HMV in recent years and will miss it if it goes. Frown
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/12/2018(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#290 Posted : 29 May 2020 18:48:48(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Well thanks to lockdown I finally managed to read this all the way through to the end tonight:I didn't think it was an amazing book by any means but I thought it was entertaining enough (and better than Bernards book that I still haven't managed to get more than a couple of chapters into despite bringing it with me on my last two or three holidays): I got the impression a lot of why he left NO was left out of this due to the legal action that has been ongoing but I also thought that the going into rehab was a big contributing factor into him leaving (it seems that once he wasn't drinking any more than he thought it was him against the world) Thanks for writing this Peter but I don't think we need a further chapter in what has happened ( I saw online the other day he was thinking of writing a book about the court case(s))
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/06/2020(UTC)