logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages«<89101112>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eimi  
#226 Posted : 29 October 2016 04:59:33(UTC)
Eimi

Groups: Registered
Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tarbox23 Go to Quoted Post

Sure, he might call Sumner a twat in one sentence, and then praise him the next. That is how people are. Nobody is one dimensional. They love each other, they hate each other.

Nobody is one-dimensional, but it's not normal or healthy to 'hate' someone you love. You might disagree with something or some part of their personality or maybe something makes you annoyed sometimes, but it's neither a normal nor healthy relationship to love someone yet hate someone at the same time. And calling him names like that, then praising him the next seems...odd. Am I the only one who thinks this way? 'That is how people are'????? Nobody I know calls someone names like that then praises them. Nobody I know behaves or has behaved like Hooky.
The fact the New Order made a great album even without him means that kind of conflict and/or personality isn't a necessary ingredient in New Order.
Personality clashes and conflict with Hooky didn't necessarily make the music better- if that was the case MC would have to be bad.

Edited by user 29 October 2016 05:12:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/10/2016(UTC)
Debaser  
#227 Posted : 29 October 2016 09:12:36(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Eimi Go to Quoted Post

Nobody I know calls someone names like that then praises them. Nobody I know behaves or has behaved like Hooky.

Witness a lads night out in the UK, and by the end of the evening there's a good chance you'll have heard them call each other every name under the sun. They're still friends though.

The fact the New Order made a great album even without him means that kind of conflict and/or personality isn't a necessary ingredient in New Order.
Personality clashes and conflict with Hooky didn't necessarily make the music better- if that was the case MC would have to be bad.

The logic doesnt follow that MC would have to be bad, just that it's different - which it is. MC is a good album beacuse it's consistent. It's not as good as their 80s output though, and those of us who liked Hook's contribution will have noticed it missing.

it's neither a normal nor healthy relationship to love someone yet hate someone at the same time.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/10/2016(UTC)
Eimi  
#228 Posted : 29 October 2016 15:22:31(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Quote:
Witness a lads night out in the UK, and by the end of the evening there's a good chance you'll have heard them call each other every name under the sun. They're still friends though.

But this isn't a lad's night out- it's a published autobiography. Is it common for people to name-call like that in their autobiographies?
I find Hooky's constant referral of Barney as a 'twat' 'twatto' and of New Order as 'New Odour' to be childish, immature , and stupid.
Whatever his true feelings, at least Barney showed restraint in his book and didn't call Hooky a 'twat'.
Unlike most of you here, I don't find it funny or amusing.

Edited by user 29 October 2016 15:30:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Rorschach on 29/10/2016(UTC), negative1 on 29/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 29/10/2016(UTC), Michael Monkhouse on 31/10/2016(UTC), the_blank_from_hell on 31/10/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#229 Posted : 31 October 2016 04:14:31(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I wouldn't read too much into it. Hooky's so one-dimensional he makes Roger Hargreaves read like Sylvia Plath.
Psychologist's report: 'Wanker'.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/10/2016(UTC), Eimi on 02/11/2016(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#230 Posted : 01 November 2016 16:44:16(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)

Signed copy turned up at the weekend, only read the first for or five chapters but enjoying it so far (although given the size of the book, don't know when I'll have got through the whole thing) - but going by the first chapter, can we blame John Robie for how things turned out?
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/11/2016(UTC)
Milkshock  
#231 Posted : 01 November 2016 23:36:55(UTC)
Milkshock

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Quote:

But this isn't a lad's night out- it's a published autobiography. Is it common for people to name-call like that in their autobiographies?
I find Hooky's constant referral of Barney as a 'twat' 'twatto' and of New Order as 'New Odour' to be childish, immature , and stupid.
Whatever his true feelings, at least Barney showed restraint in his book and didn't call Hooky a 'twat'.
Unlike most of you here, I don't find it funny or amusing.

Quite right which make me believe the abuse is more to do with destabilising the inner workings of the present line up in an attempt to disrupt them going forward. The abuse apportioned to Bernard and in particular Hooky's assertion that Bernard had a problem with Gillian's alleged lack of input makes me feel that's the angle Hooky was working towards when writing the book.
thanks 2 users thanked Milkshock for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/11/2016(UTC), Eimi on 02/11/2016(UTC)
The Ruts  
#232 Posted : 02 November 2016 02:12:57(UTC)
The Ruts

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Just finished the book (despite my reservations).

Overall, there are enough good stories in it to make it an enjoyable read. Particularly the early years. Once it gets past Brotherhood, then it all blurs into one after a while.

His antagonism towards Barney gets tiring quite quickly, as well as his various jabs at Gillian. And his depiction of Rob pre breakdown has (to my knowledge) never been talked about before. So to portray him as a selfish, bullying tyrant is quite a surprise.

Towards the end, when Hooky stops drinking, is when things get really, really tiring. Yes, I'm often been given the impression that Barney can be a childish brat. But, as he has demonstrated over the last number of years, so can Hooky. So I suspect he's left out his part in the various bust ups.

There were a few clunkers/omissions:

- He thinks the early days of NO were better because they didn't know what they were doing, but laughs at Barney's "out of tune" guitar on Jetstream when played on TV.
- He dismisses Gillian's guitar playing on Sunrise, even though it was actually Barney.
- When discussing Dream Attack, he doesn't mention who was mainly involved with it. Probably because it's rumoured to have been written by Gillian.
- He claims Barney left him to do an interview with Phil Jupitus by himself. But the actual broadcast had him and Steve being interviewed.
- No mention of his MySpace post claiming "This band have split up...I've got a third!"

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that immediately sprung to mind.

I came away from the book thinking of Hooky as someone who has realised that he has been playing second fiddle to someone else (be it Ian, Barney, Caroline etc) for most of his life, and is now using the Light to redress the balance. The childish digs and laddish tales of drink and debauchery simply reinforce this. By portraying himself as some swashbuckling Viking, he can disguise the self loathing 60 year old that lurks within him.
thanks 7 users thanked The Ruts for this useful post.
Low Life on 02/11/2016(UTC), Andy on 02/11/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 02/11/2016(UTC), Eimi on 02/11/2016(UTC), Rorschach on 02/11/2016(UTC), poisoned snickers 2015 on 03/11/2016(UTC), M1 on 16/01/2017(UTC)
Low Life  
#233 Posted : 02 November 2016 02:17:47(UTC)
Low Life

Man

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Always loved Hooky when he was in the band, but his constant digs at New Order since his departure have left a sour taste, and judging by all the reviews, I think it's best I give this one a swerve as it will only exacerbate the bad feelings.
Think I prefer to remember the good times...
thanks 5 users thanked Low Life for this useful post.
Andy on 02/11/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 02/11/2016(UTC), Eimi on 02/11/2016(UTC), Rorschach on 02/11/2016(UTC), poisoned snickers 2015 on 03/11/2016(UTC)
Aracri  
#234 Posted : 02 November 2016 12:00:42(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
Not a bad book at all. Lots of info about gear/equipment and a look deep inside the "privacy" of the band (sometimes it's too much IMO). But let's face the facts: in interviews Hooky always accuse Barney to say bad things about him over 60% of "Chapter and Verse" but that's not the truth. Maybe 7 or 8 pages about "Waiting for the Sirens'Call"'s recording sessions an that's all. On the other hand he calls Barney as twat, dictator, lazy and many other awful things since the first chapter of "Substance".
Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 3 users thanked Aracri for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/11/2016(UTC), Eimi on 02/11/2016(UTC), poisoned snickers 2015 on 03/11/2016(UTC)
Milkshock  
#235 Posted : 03 November 2016 22:52:17(UTC)
Milkshock

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 14 post(s)
More Hooky nonsense exposed - in his book he alleges that Barney forced Johnny Marr's guitar out of Electronic - but in his own book published yesterday Marr states that Bernard wanted him to play more guitar but that he was more interested in the electronic side of things.

Edited by user 03 November 2016 22:53:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Milkshock for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/11/2016(UTC), Eimi on 04/11/2016(UTC), Rorschach on 04/11/2016(UTC)
Baggie Boiler  
#236 Posted : 04 November 2016 02:08:53(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
Fantastic book .... won't have to buy any toilet roll for ages Hi
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 2 users thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
Rorschach on 04/11/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 04/11/2016(UTC)
Eimi  
#237 Posted : 05 November 2016 02:24:33(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Originally Posted by: Milkshock Go to Quoted Post
More Hooky nonsense exposed - in his book he alleges that Barney forced Johnny Marr's guitar out of Electronic - but in his own book published yesterday Marr states that Bernard wanted him to play more guitar but that he was more interested in the electronic side of things.

It's clear that Hooky doesn't know what he's talking about, or he's blinded by his anger that he's saying these things.
In this case, I believe Johnny Marr's words, because he actually worked with Bernard in Electronic and knew what it was like.
And it's clear from those words that Barney did not 'force' Johnny Marr's guitar out of the project.
I don't know how Hooky's fans can continue to defend this nonsense that comes out of Hooky's mouth/book.

thanks 2 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/11/2016(UTC), Rorschach on 05/11/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#238 Posted : 05 November 2016 02:59:51(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Yeah, I'm no muso but that's clearly bollocks. In an interview during the first spurt, Marred Johnny said one of the great things about being in Electronic was the chance to play new instruments - and the albums became progressively more guitar-heavy. I don't think Johnny and Hooky are drinking partners either.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/11/2016(UTC), Rorschach on 05/11/2016(UTC)
kinozon  
#239 Posted : 05 November 2016 10:39:05(UTC)
kinozon

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)

It's clear that Hooky doesn't know what he's talking about, or he's blinded by his anger that he's saying these things.
In this case, I believe Johnny Marr's words, because he actually worked with Bernard in Electronic and knew what it was like.
And it's clear from those words that Barney did not 'force' Johnny Marr's guitar out of the project.
I don't know how Hooky's fans can continue to defend this nonsense that comes out of Hooky's mouth/book.

Whatever they say to each other I will ALWAYS BE A FAN OF The real New Order (Hooky, Sumner, Gilbert & Morris). Sumner can be a twat, Hooky can have a big mouth, Gilbert a none talented musician(according to Hooky), & Morris a tank collector, at the end of the day, we can all agree that those 4 individuals had made incredible music that had touch our life. Hooky fans, Sumner fans, etc... its stupid. I'm a New Order fan....
thanks 1 user thanked kinozon for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/11/2016(UTC)
rosygale  
#240 Posted : 05 November 2016 12:29:33(UTC)
rosygale

Woman

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 81 post(s)
So glad it's not compulsory to read this book, which sounds like a load of codswallop. Doesn’t make his other claims any more credible either. If Hooky wants to be believed on the big stuff, shouldn’t he at least make the rest of it consistent with reality.

Fortunately, the music sounds the same as ever - there is the Hooky of New Order and this other one, the actual one, I don’t recognise.

Edited by user 05 November 2016 12:31:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked rosygale for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/11/2016(UTC), Eimi on 13/11/2016(UTC)
M1  
#241 Posted : 05 November 2016 14:17:38(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)

Yep, I've heard Johnny remark on that before, tracking back to the final Smiths album which had minimal-to-no guitars on some tracks

thanks 2 users thanked M1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/11/2016(UTC), Eimi on 06/11/2016(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#242 Posted : 06 November 2016 22:00:08(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Apparently, Peter had hoped Die Moldau would be the intro music for the year's MC shows, but Bernard and Tom And Jonny thought that Das Reingold would be be best ,and also cause Peter to be exasperated. Peter , also , it has been heard, feels that Bernard should make another Prozac album, as he really likes and listens to' raise the pressure 'side 2, almost as often as republic , side 1.
Peter further insists that if action figures of new order are created for the suave sophisticates on both sides of the pond , that his figure be 1mm taller than Gillian, and that the Tom figure be somewhat in awe of the Peter figure. And he insists that grand theft auto -manchester to burnley , by way of maccclesfield be extra bad and mod and focus upon Hooky
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/11/2016(UTC)
Burai  
#243 Posted : 13 November 2016 11:14:35(UTC)
Burai

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: M1 Go to Quoted Post

Yep, I've heard Johnny remark on that before, tracking back to the final Smiths album which had minimal-to-no guitars on some tracks

That was also partly because he walked out before they finished it.

Johnny and Bernard have both been on the record several times about Electronic. The original plan was for a series of anonymous, purely electronic, instrumental EPs to act as a detox for the shit they'd each just been through. Guitars were never supposed to be involved at all. Lucky Bag, Soviet, Free Will and Reality (before they added lyrics) were the result of that approach but it gradually morphed into the album we ended up with.

As has been stated Johnny really fell in love with the synths because he was well out of his comfort zone but they just did what they had fun with. It's often been stated by Sumner that Marr got so carried away with the synths that he had to remind him to get the guitar out every now and again. Marr never thought to even try singing until Sumner talked him into it for Haze on Twisted Tenderness and now he's a solo artist, writing and singing his own songs. Electronic was two mates having fun, covering a wide range of tones and genres and each of them learning off each other.

Hooky can fuck right off with that shite.
thanks 5 users thanked Burai for this useful post.
Eimi on 13/11/2016(UTC), Rorschach on 13/11/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 13/11/2016(UTC), Ken Doherty on 16/11/2016(UTC), Get Ready on 24/11/2016(UTC)
Spittingcat  
#244 Posted : 14 November 2016 05:11:13(UTC)
Spittingcat

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 124 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Ruts Go to Quoted Post

- When discussing Dream Attack, he doesn't mention who was mainly involved with it. Probably because it's rumoured to have been written by Gillian.

https://www.mdmarchive.c...amp;aid=1864&bid=693

And WHAT a tune.

Reminds me, always disappointed when Gillian does the self deprecating thing and describes herself as the "keyboard player" in New Order. Sells herself short. But perhaps she's had to work with some male egos that make that approach essential. I mean BS as much as PH here by the way.
thanks 1 user thanked Spittingcat for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/11/2016(UTC)
JG  
#245 Posted : 14 November 2016 10:02:04(UTC)
JG

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Last week in Manchester at a launch event for his memoir, Johnny Marr spoke very highly of Gillian.

Johnny described Gillian as the first cool English woman to visit America.

thanks 3 users thanked JG for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/11/2016(UTC), Andy on 14/11/2016(UTC), Eimi on 14/11/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#246 Posted : 15 November 2016 01:35:32(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

The sad thing is he'll say any old shite just for attention. The sadder thing is it's working.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/11/2016(UTC)
Jonathan  
#247 Posted : 15 November 2016 02:40:18(UTC)
Jonathan

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
The sad thing is he'll say any old shite just for attention. The sadder thing is it's working.

Unclear if you mean Hooky or Marr, here, given the previous posts; but I guess you mean Hooky.
thanks 1 user thanked Jonathan for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#248 Posted : 15 November 2016 02:58:24(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Michael Monkhouse  
#249 Posted : 16 November 2016 05:05:35(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Spittingcat Go to Quoted Post

I'm a sucker for alternate titles. That sentence also works without the last two syllables.

http://www.new-order.net.../facs/workingtitles.html
http://imgur.com/zWAQY0J
ROCKET MICK on 16/11/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#250 Posted : 24 November 2016 06:31:03(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Today's recommended reading is Steve Jones' biography for its articulate, insightful and informative commentary on the composition process, the Pistols' continued relevance and of course the socio-political, economic strife of the period: 'Fuck, this fucking photo must be from one of those fucking gigs we fucking did, I don't fucking remember, you think I had a fucking diary for fuck's sake, I was too fucking pissed anyway. Fuck, what a fucking photo.'
ROCKET MICK on 29/11/2016(UTC)