logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages«<56789>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
79order  
#151 Posted : 14 October 2016 00:51:16(UTC)
79order

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Went along to the Covent Garden Fopp event yesterday and Peter was as patient with fans requests as ever m8 in front got a promise of a photo with the man in Brighton 2017 signed loads of stuff for everyone chatty. As for all the self righteous crap above what's between Hooky and the rest of New order is their rather sad business the crowds they both draw are testement to the most wonderful music you will hear 37 years on from first hearing Joy division I was still moved by the songs played before the man arrived
Walked in line
thanks 2 users thanked 79order for this useful post.
?(the best of) on 14/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Debaser  
#152 Posted : 14 October 2016 01:30:13(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: El Jarvo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Papabendi Go to Quoted Post
On the 6music programme with Mark Radcliffe, Hooky seems to be suggesting that details of his court spat with New Order can all be found online. it has been very quiet on this subject, so was interested to hear that it had progressed.

Yup, it's all out there as far as I know.

Just done a google and can't find the detail
- everyone (NME, BBC, daily press) seems to mention the case so it's hard to track down - but there are some legal sites out there which lay out the fine points of what the case involves.

Yes I tried that too. If anyone succeeds in finding the legal sites, please post a link.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Isi  
#153 Posted : 14 October 2016 05:00:44(UTC)
Isi

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
On the 6music programme with Mark Radcliffe, Hooky seems to be suggesting that details of his court spat with New Order can all be found online. it has been very quiet on this subject, so was interested to hear that it had progressed.

- everyone (NME, BBC, daily press) seems to mention the case so it's hard to track down - but there are some legal sites out there which lay out the fine points of what the case involves.

Yes I tried that too. If anyone succeeds in finding the legal sites, please post a link.

I think he's referring to all the stuff we already know (royalties, use of the band name, merchandise, etc). He's probably saying look online because he doesn't want to say things on the radio that would make negotiations more difficult. Maybe he's finally listening to his wife (and legal advisers) and is keeping his foot out of his mouth.

Edited by user 14 October 2016 05:01:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I haven't time to sympathise, with all this nonsense and your lies"
thanks 1 user thanked Isi for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#154 Posted : 14 October 2016 06:29:33(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Isi Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

I think he's referring to all the stuff we already know (royalties, use of the band name, merchandise, etc). He's probably saying look online because he doesn't want to say things on the radio that would make negotiations more difficult. Maybe he's finally listening to his wife (and legal advisers) and is keeping his foot out of his mouth.

Nope, there's definitely some law society page which lays out the trial and the grievances. All boils down to company law, I think.

Judge is recommending they settle out of court anyway, that was the gist of it.

thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
homielang  
#155 Posted : 14 October 2016 06:34:29(UTC)
homielang

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I have no interest in reading the book to be honest. I am begrudgingly going to The Light Substance show as my mate bought tickets but it is the only chance to see one of my favorite bass players based on his musical output. It is a shame these days that he earns his wage slagging those that were his mates more than from playing bass. I guess whatever pleases the paying punters. I have not read Barney's book but I will check out Stephen's. I would think it would be a more interesting read. Too bad Substance is not just a historical recounting of their recording, that would be a book I would buy.
thanks 1 user thanked homielang for this useful post.
Deceiver  
#156 Posted : 14 October 2016 07:09:56(UTC)
Deceiver

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Originally Posted by: homielang Go to Quoted Post
I have no interest in reading the book to be honest. I am begrudgingly going to The Light Substance show as my mate bought tickets but it is the only chance to see one of my favorite bass players based on his musical output. It is a shame these days that he earns his wage slagging those that were his mates more than from playing bass. I guess whatever pleases the paying punters. I have not read Barney's book but I will check out Stephen's. I would think it would be a more interesting read. Too bad Substance is not just a historical recounting of their recording, that would be a book I would buy.

Surely you have a bit of an interest? I'm looking forward to reading it, especially the geeky equipment parts.

I hope you enjoy the concert, seeing your favourite bass player mostly singing, while his son plays his basslines...

Edited by user 14 October 2016 07:10:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Deceiver for this useful post.
79order on 14/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
homielang  
#157 Posted : 14 October 2016 07:16:57(UTC)
homielang

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Yeah the geeky equipment parts interest me, but to dig through pages of mudslinging is sad. The rest of New Order has moved on Music Complete speaks for itself.

Seriously he barely plays bass? Glad I am not paying.
thanks 1 user thanked homielang for this useful post.
79order  
#158 Posted : 14 October 2016 07:29:45(UTC)
79order

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Dear Peter
Can I point out a serious error in your book that will have fans blood boiling world wide the Wedgwood rooms where you state Monaco played in September 1997 is in PORTMOuTH not as stated Plymouth , I expect nothing less than a total recall of this otherwise excellent and factually correct book though seriously how could you.
Your m8

Movement
thanks 2 users thanked 79order for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC), thehappyone on 11/02/2017(UTC)
The Shadow  
#159 Posted : 14 October 2016 07:35:48(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
My one obsession in life has been music. And like 99% of people on this forum Joy Division / new order are my favourite of all and I have dedicated many hours of listening, buying, gig going etc, very important to me. For that reason alone how can the bass player from this band be a cunt or a shithouse, to me he is my bass legend. 30 years cannot mean nothing.

What is he like as a person, I don't know or care, the fact he was the bass player in my favourite band means he's alright by me, music wise. Still waiting for my book to come through from record store but look forward to reading it.

It's not just hook who is the legend they all are and what they think of each other is no concern of mine. Hooky deserves some respect from the fans, sorry I meant to say has earnt his respect.

Don't agree with slating Tom chapman either like someone has already said New Order had to get another bass player and he was the obvious choice and is doing a good job.

Those comments above may seem to contradict but I don't care I will be at the next New order and The Light gigs... See you all there.
thanks 5 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
?(the best of) on 14/10/2016(UTC), 79order on 14/10/2016(UTC), Technique97 on 15/10/2016(UTC), Cranelane on 15/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
?(the best of)  
#160 Posted : 14 October 2016 10:49:44(UTC)
?(the best of)

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
My one obsession in life has been music. And like 99% of people on this forum Joy Division / new order are my favourite of all and I have dedicated many hours of listening, buying, gig going etc, very important to me. For that reason alone how can the bass player from this band be a cunt or a shithouse, to me he is my bass legend. 30 years cannot mean nothing.

What is he like as a person, I don't know or care, the fact he was the bass player in my favourite band means he's alright by me, music wise. Still waiting for my book to come through from record store but look forward to reading it.

It's not just hook who is the legend they all are and what they think of each other is no concern of mine. Hooky deserves some respect from the fans, sorry I meant to say has earnt his respect.

Don't agree with slating Tom chapman either like someone has already said New Order had to get another bass player and he was the obvious choice and is doing a good job.

Those comments above may seem to contradict but I don't care I will be at the next New order and The Light gigs... See you all there.

How dare you come on here spouting common sense! Couldn't have put it better.
thanks 2 users thanked ?(the best of) for this useful post.
79order on 14/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#161 Posted : 14 October 2016 15:57:08(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Some funny stories.About halfway through the book now.Liked and laughed at the story about the 2 German groupies thinking "Barney Sumner"s name was Barry SummerLaugh .I like the timeline stuff like for example when and where Thieves Like Us was recorded ( January 14-15 1984 ).I was always obsessed with trivial things like that back in the day.Not so much now but still nice to get info on those things.Not so bothered on the "Geek Alert" sections - i tend to zone out when Hooky's explaining how a certain drum machine works, yawn.I'm more into the tales of touring in the 80s and and little stories like Hooky bumping into Bruce Springsteen being a tight bastard trying to get the price down on a pair of boots he was buying in a shop in Los Angeles sometime in the 80s.

Still a bit skeptical on some of Hooky's version of some events but what do i know.And still think he has some mental issues with Bernard, the others and events but as i said i enjoy the old touring stories..

BBC Arts thing

Edited by user 14 October 2016 15:58:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
#162 Posted : 14 October 2016 20:19:57(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
There is more info that I have bookmarked on another computer - but this is what a brief effort of my memory conjured up in my searches including quotes from Hooky's lawyer.

There was a few more interesting articles I had bookmarked out of interest that criminal charges could be sought out - but unless, I can find it, it IS heresay. Additionally, I seem to recall that Phil is not mentioned anywhere on the suit.

Having a lawyer friend look over the article out of curiosity in opinion of reading the articles, he sees the other three knowingly conducted criminal activity and could be charged.

Anyhoo...

LINK 1:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/34965842

LINK 2:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/12025791/Blue-Monday-for-New-Order-as-Peter-Hook-sues-them-for-many-millions-of-pounds.html
thanks 1 user thanked ***** for this useful post.
Debaser  
#163 Posted : 15 October 2016 00:46:38(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Thanks. I can't speak for El Jarvo but speaking for myself I wasn't looking for media links; those are easy to google. Was looking for the actual legal stuff on an official legal (i.e uk court records) website.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Deceiver  
#164 Posted : 15 October 2016 11:04:45(UTC)
Deceiver

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Okay, I've got the book now and read the first few chapters. For me Hook puts himself in a bad light from the intro. He recalls assaulting their producer, John Robie, at the Pretty in Pink premiere, when he was high on coke. This was r(R)evenge for Robie shoving a meal in his face, who did so in retribution for a prank where Robie fell off his chair - but the crucial point for Hook is this prank was committed by Sumner. I think Hooky wants the reader to think that Sumner has been getting away it all his life (sorry), and this poor Hooky always cops it. However, I expect most readers will agree with Bernard telling Hook what he did was disgusting and should apologise. A prank is a prank, but headbutting someone in response is an assault. Hook was lucky - lucky he wasn't charged...
thanks 1 user thanked Deceiver for this useful post.
markreed  
#165 Posted : 15 October 2016 13:02:26(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
About halfway through, and in regards to the court case :

- Hook selfproclaims himself "shit with money"
- He also declares some fairly hefty paydays, and clearly not been wise with it : I remember a 1995 interview where he said he owed the bank £1.5k
- Near enough everyone involved with New Order / Revenge finances appears to be completely fucking incompetent and should have been fired long long ago
- Hook (understandably, but not accurately), appears to be seeing the current court case as a way of fixing the awful Factory accounting practice that left him and everyone else historically out of pocket, presumably by suing his former band as they are currently lucrative and probably competently run financially
- Presumably he feels entitled to an hefty share of NO's current income which he doesn't currently work for whilst he actively sues them and slags them off
- Hook probably should get higher than 1.25% due to the existing historical strength of their commercial brand name giving them but 12.5% seems steep to me
- Vitalturn seem to generate approx £1m in historical royalties, so therefore seems reasonable he gets a sizable amount of that
- Rob clearly about as much use as a glass hammer when it comes to being a businessman
- As were NO's accountants

Overall, it's a miracle this book got published, and even more a miracle that the New Order accountants didn't get fired. I'd've sued them to the end of the Earth for negligence and fired them on the spot.

thanks 3 users thanked markreed for this useful post.
Rorschach on 15/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC), Eimi on 20/10/2016(UTC)
markreed  
#166 Posted : 15 October 2016 13:14:26(UTC)
markreed

Originally Posted by: YourSilentFace Go to Quoted Post
To quote Hooky in a recent interview; "You can't just take 31 years of someone's life and suddenly decide how much they're going to profit from it going forward". If you don't like the man, then that's fine and your opinion but calling him a 'cunt' and a 'shithouse'? He's still one of the integral members of the best band of the 80s and if it wasn't for him, then every album after Low-Life would be regarded in the same light as the maligned Republic. If anyone's a money-grabbing, disrespectful cunt, it's Tom Chapman. He wasn't there during the Joy Division years, the golden-era of New Order, The Hacienda, he didn't know Rob Gretton, Martin Hannett, Tony Wilson etc. and he thinks he can just take the job of one of the most influential bass players of all time? Fuck that guy. It's like if some random 30 year old took Keith Richards role in The Rolling Stones.

Oh, jog the FUCK on.

Are New Order meant to get some grizzled 60 year old who was on the scene at the time and can play bass just to please YOU? Have a cup of Fuck Off.

Tom's never been disrespectful to Hook that I can recall, in the face of some fairly vicious slagging.

Are you going to have a pop at Guy Pratt when he joined Pink Floyd because he wasn't there in 1967? Or Falk Grieffenagen as he wasn't a studio engineer for Kraftwerk in 1978?

Didn't some random 33 year old join the Stones and replace Bill Wyman in 1994? The same random 33 year old was 1 - ONE - when The Stones started?

I also find Hook's slanging of Morris & Gilbert quite odd, considering that The Other Two have made a couple of albums and done loads of soundtrack stuff (unless of course Hook did those as well, so he'll be touring "The Other Two & You 25" in 2018 ...) as well as you know, take their eye off the ball during recording because of, you know, trivial stuff, like Cancer?
thanks 4 users thanked markreed for this useful post.
Rorschach on 15/10/2016(UTC), Coops on 16/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC), Eimi on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#167 Posted : 16 October 2016 00:00:15(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: markreed Go to Quoted Post

The Other Two have made a couple of albums

Yeah, but they're both monkey shit. Two shit LPs in 25 years means they are officially 12.5 times worse than the Spice Girls. Hooky will tour SH(ite album) with Geri Halliwell on vocals in 2061.
Even if the abuse stories are true, I refuse to believe this is notoriously FUCKYOUYOUFUCKINGWANKER Hooky developing a social conscience.
Hooky's autobiography:
1. Everyone are wankuz cept me and sometimes me son and Ian but he dead innit.
2. I like prostitute woman and bigg drug and me bass.
3. Throw 25 quid away.
Shania Twain can't conjugate verbs. That don't impress me much.

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#168 Posted : 16 October 2016 00:05:39(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Deceiver Go to Quoted Post

Republic is not maligned. Republic is a great album with some of New Order's best songwriting...

Republic is less popular with the fans because etc etc but the media were very positive in the run up. NME and MM ran massive masturbatory interviews ('Republic' is great'... 'The finest music of their lives') and Radio 1 (so it must be true) said it was gonna be a Technique for the 90s. The actual reviews were good and at rhe very least average - even the worst one ('Select', I think) argued, 'It isn't a bad album, just an inert one.'
I fucking hate it.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
surface  
#169 Posted : 16 October 2016 06:01:05(UTC)
surface

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 138 post(s)

- He also declares some fairly hefty paydays, and clearly not been wise with it : I remember a 1995 interview where he said he owed the bank £1.5k
- Near enough everyone involved with New Order / Revenge finances appears to be completely fucking incompetent and should have been fired long long ago
- Hook (understandably, but not accurately), appears to be seeing the current court case as a way of fixing the awful Factory accounting practice that left him and everyone else historically out of pocket, presumably by suing his former band as they are currently lucrative and probably competently run financially
- Presumably he feels entitled to an hefty share of NO's current income which he doesn't currently work for whilst he actively sues them and slags them off
- Hook probably should get higher than 1.25% due to the existing historical strength of their commercial brand name giving them but 12.5% seems steep to me
- Vitalturn seem to generate approx £1m in historical royalties, so therefore seems reasonable he gets a sizable amount of that
- Rob clearly about as much use as a glass hammer when it comes to being a businessman

Overall, it's a miracle this book got published, and even more a miracle that the New Order accountants didn't get fired. I'd've sued them to the end of the Earth for negligence and fired them on the spot.

I'm about half way through and wondering if at some point he talks about when they got on their feet financially as both him and Bernard live in houses that are worth well over a million and Hooky has a couple of cars that are each in the 75 to 100k range - both with personalised plates of course.

thanks 2 users thanked surface for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC), Eimi on 20/10/2016(UTC)
markreed  
#170 Posted : 16 October 2016 07:16:57(UTC)
markreed

Originally Posted by: surface Go to Quoted Post

I'm about half way through and wondering if at some point he talks about when they got on their feet financially as both him and Bernard live in houses that are worth well over a million and Hooky has a couple of cars that are each in the 75 to 100k range - both with personalised plates of course.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and so far he hasn't. Keeps saying he's skint and the band needed to play a gig on The Moon for 50p because they needed the money which they then spent the whole fee on a post gig party. Says the band sold $350k of t-shirts a night on a 30 show tour, yet 13 years later, does Dj gigs for £500 because he needed the money. What does he does to the cash, set it on fire?

His definition of skint, and mine, might be very different.

thanks 2 users thanked markreed for this useful post.
surface  
#171 Posted : 16 October 2016 08:41:39(UTC)
surface

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 138 post(s)

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and so far he hasn't. Keeps saying he's skint and the band needed to play a gig on The Moon for 50p because they needed the money which they then spent the whole fee on a post gig party. Says the band sold $350k of t-shirts a night on a 30 show tour, yet 13 years later, does Dj gigs for £500 because he needed the money. What does he does to the cash, set it on fire?

Yes and mine too. Certainly doesn't appear skint looking at what he has from a material perspective, his house looks amazing.
thanks 2 users thanked surface for this useful post.
is it bro  
#172 Posted : 16 October 2016 12:08:31(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)

$350k of t-shirts sold per gig? Say they sold for $35 a time, that would mean 10,000 sold each night!!!

Doesn't add up somehow 🤔

thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
markreed  
#173 Posted : 16 October 2016 13:43:19(UTC)
markreed

Originally Posted by: is it bro Go to Quoted Post

$350k of t-shirts sold per gig? Say they sold for $35 a time, that would mean 10,000 sold each night!!!

Doesn't add up somehow 🤔

Around the 1989 tour when they were doing 23-35,000 seaters, apparently.
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
Andy  
#174 Posted : 16 October 2016 14:56:54(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
#175 Posted : 16 October 2016 19:05:11(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I'd be suprised, but I could undestand if a judge were to award Hooky with a dedicated 12.5% of the band's period and performance royalties and other income from merchandising and performances related to the Vitalturn licensing.

Any finances that were related to the band as an original 4-piece should be fairly collected 4 ways including performance royalties, concert performances of Gilbert/Hook/Morris/Sumner compositions performed live, mechanical rights, merchandising, et cetera per agreement from 1981 until setting up Vitalturn. Royalties (etc) should be distributed/collected as per agreement at the time of 2001-2005, per inclusion of Phil Cunningham. Anything post 2006 royalties (etc) should be distributed/collected as per agreement at the time previous arrangement.

I fucking LOVE New Order - in all configurations - but what you don't do, is fucking chintz someone out of money rightfully owned to them either by not paying them or unilaterally reducing period royalties - regardless of you like them or not, or of they are still in the band or not.

All things being equal from what little we know, the other three knew exactly what they were doing and sought to force Peter's hand financially in effort that they'd "win" by getting the whole lawsuit tied up in red tape to force the other to give up due to depletion of funds. That's basic strategy.

Give him his money.

The courts needs to make New Order pay out and move on completely separate of legal ties and Hooky gets his rightful money and he makes a clean break from them.

The courts could then slap Hooky with a "cease and desist" upon settlement regarding potentially slanderous commentary towards any of the five current band members moving forward from settlement.

Edited by user 16 October 2016 19:08:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked ***** for this useful post.