logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jonathan  
#51 Posted : 25 August 2016 03:30:27(UTC)
Jonathan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
You have a point about the songwriting angle, but mixes/dubs/versions were often "b-sides" as early as Blue Monday (or even the version of Love Will Tear Us Apart sharing a side with These Days).

I suppose that's not all that has changed, of course; the early singles not being album tracks at all for that matter. You're right that dub versions etc were around back then too, but it's not quite the same thing as we have now, with half a dozen "external" remixes of the a-side as a matter of course. (Come to think of it I'm not even certain that the various dub mixes from the old days were necessarily produced in-house, but I thought they were.)

The dark days of the Republic era did spawn one "proper" b-side: The single Ruined in a Day sported Vicious Circle, an instrumental Monaco later developed into a single of it's own (Sweet Lips).

More b-sides emerged during the Get Ready era. I particularly like Behind Closed Doors and Such a Good Thing.

I've think you've named almost all the exceptions to the rule :)
thanks 2 users thanked Jonathan for this useful post.
Andy on 25/08/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#52 Posted : 26 August 2016 03:58:27(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AdamTate Go to Quoted Post

......hands up anybody that would swop 6 remixes for 1 quality non album B-side like 1963 or Lonesome Tonight.

I couldn't've put it better myself. Well i could, but I don't like to boast.
I can't be arsed with these mixes cos (a) I got storage space and cash problems, (b) my obsessive days are well and truly behind me, and (c) they'll all turn up on this rare new database called Youtube. I'm not overstruck with the mixes I've heard so far anyway - the new LP's tough and it ain't like Revenge or Republic where they needed mixing (Spooky Stadium!).
It's interesting that New Order did Bsides till BM and then stopped till Technique with 2 exceptions and then - I lost interest. At that level, anyway.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/08/2016(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#53 Posted : 26 August 2016 07:11:35(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Was thanked: 347 time(s) in 189 post(s)
Just got this from N.O. store:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Disco,

Thank-you for pre-ordering the People On The High Line 7” Shaped Picture Disc.

Due to production delays we aren’t able to ship the vinyl until next month. Sorry!

The vinyl will now be released October 7th in the UK/EU and October 21st in the USA.

Once again please accept our apologies for this delay, thank you for your patience and continued support.

If you have any other questions about your order, please feel free to contact us here.

Many thanks,
New Order HQ

...Of course it would be asking too much for them to provide the digital download of the tracks as a compensation, right?
thanks 1 user thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/08/2016(UTC)
Jcp7  
#54 Posted : 26 August 2016 07:34:06(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 537 post(s)
Yes and the items in the same order too. Assholes.
thanks 1 user thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
In A Noisy Place  
#55 Posted : 26 August 2016 07:56:29(UTC)
In A Noisy Place

Was thanked: 445 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Same here Dead
Seems they don't want to split the order and send the available items first...
thanks 1 user thanked In A Noisy Place for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#56 Posted : 26 August 2016 08:27:44(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Yep i have received that email too.Still not received the 12" and CD because i also ordered the 7" and they're too dumb to split it and send the available items first.They told me i'll have to cancel my order and re order again , ordering the 7" separately if i want to receive the 12" and CD now.But of course if i do that when i come to re-ordering they'll tell me they've sold out.They really are a bit dumb aren't they.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#57 Posted : 26 August 2016 08:45:18(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AdamTate Go to Quoted Post

......hands up anybody that would swop 6 remixes for 1 quality non album B-side like 1963 or Lonesome Tonight.

I couldn't've put it better myself. Well i could, but I don't like to boast.
I can't be arsed with these mixes cos (a) I got storage space and cash problems, (b) my obsessive days are well and truly behind me, and (c) they'll all turn up on this rare new database called Youtube. I'm not overstruck with the mixes I've heard so far anyway - the new LP's tough and it ain't like Revenge or Republic where they needed mixing (Spooky Stadium!).
It's interesting that New Order did Bsides till BM and then stopped till Technique with 2 exceptions and then - I lost interest. At that level, anyway.

Does this count as trainspotting?: Between BM and Technique, Lonesome Tonight and 1963 (2 tracks regarded as among their best b-sides) emerged. Shout out for Murder, as well.

They're the 2 I meant. Murder was actually I can't be arsed to finish this sentence.
If I could go back to myelf in 1990 and explain I would still be talking about NO's 1980s back catalogue in 2016, I would be very surprised. Surprised to meet a 26-years-older version of me telling me I would still be talking about NO's 1980s back catalogue in 2016.

Edited by user 26 August 2016 08:47:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Andy on 26/08/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 27/08/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#58 Posted : 26 August 2016 08:49:16(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
They really are a bit dumb aren't they.

Take the letters D U M B, mix them up, take them away and then add W A N K U Z.
Jozek  
#59 Posted : 26 August 2016 09:28:04(UTC)
Jozek

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Yep i have received that email too.Still not received the 12" and CD because i also ordered the 7" and they're too dumb to split it and send the available items first.They told me i'll have to cancel my order and re order again , ordering the 7" separately if i want to receive the 12" and CD now.But of course if i do that when i come to re-ordering they'll tell me they've sold out.They really are a bit dumb aren't they.

I have just signed into the store and there was a link to the download to both sides of the single

thanks 1 user thanked Jozek for this useful post.
Mr. Disco  
#60 Posted : 26 August 2016 09:41:25(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Was thanked: 347 time(s) in 189 post(s)
You sure? The downloads offered within the purchase are not the same versions on the actual 7", mind you.
thanks 1 user thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
Jozek  
#61 Posted : 26 August 2016 09:47:03(UTC)
Jozek

Man

Originally Posted by: Mr. Disco Go to Quoted Post
You sure? The downloads offered within the purchase are not the same versions on the actual 7", mind you.

Yes there are links to download Richard X Radio Edit & Claptone Remix

Jozek  
#62 Posted : 26 August 2016 09:51:01(UTC)
Jozek

Man

Originally Posted by: Jozek Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mr. Disco Go to Quoted Post

Yes there are links to download Richard X Radio Edit & Claptone Remix

Oh hang on I might be wrong, getting a bit confused as I only ordered the single and it show the two track above, then I check the CD ext and it's the same track. Sorry Eek

rosygale  
#63 Posted : 26 August 2016 12:10:54(UTC)
rosygale

Woman

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Also, not to forget Sabotage, and Player in the League.

I don't know about Republic being from dark days really - just accepted wisdom that's hard to shift. Surely there's no shortage of other darker times.
thanks 1 user thanked rosygale for this useful post.
TechnoPop  
#64 Posted : 28 August 2016 09:58:13(UTC)
TechnoPop

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 47 post(s)
POTHL has one of the best remix package in the NO discograpy. The whole maxi single is like a perfect summer anthem mini album for a beach party. Remix packages are usually has a bunch of different style mixes, but the POTHL remixes are so fitting together as a homogenous album.
thanks 1 user thanked TechnoPop for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/08/2016(UTC)
Debaser  
#65 Posted : 02 September 2016 01:25:29(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
A new email from new order confirming the 7" release date and acknowledging that they haven't forgotten about the video.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/09/2016(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#66 Posted : 02 September 2016 05:56:35(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
A new email from new order confirming the 7" release date and acknowledging that they haven't forgotten about the video.

And arrogantly failing to apologise to those people who haven't received their 12" and CD of POTHL still after more than a month since it was released because NO store are too thick to work out how to split orders.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/09/2016(UTC)
TechnoPop  
#67 Posted : 07 September 2016 09:37:16(UTC)
TechnoPop

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 47 post(s)
That's why I usually never order from official stores. Juno Records is the best.
thanks 2 users thanked TechnoPop for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/09/2016(UTC), MTO on 22/09/2016(UTC)
Andy  
#68 Posted : 07 September 2016 11:31:11(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rosygale Go to Quoted Post

I don't know about Republic being from dark days really - just accepted wisdom that's hard to shift. Surely there's no shortage of other darker times.

Going in, they were tasked with regrouping to save their crumbling record company that saw fit to pump money into the Hacienda (and other acts) instead of pay them. The band members had their taste of creative freedom with their "side projects", but Bernard's was (by far) the most successful. Whatever struggles they had with the band being a creative democracy up to Technique were now amplified. One of Stephen Hague's roles was to make the production decisions that the band would otherwise have to deliberate over. That's why Republic is their most bland, generic work. There are some good tracks, but their hearts weren't really in it.

Did you see any of the 1993 shows? They only bothered to do 13 and I went to 2 of those. They were way more perfunctory and only-doing-it-for-the-money than Hooky imagines the shows without him are. I'd only seen them 3 times before, but could tell those weren't just "off nights". After the tour, the band didn't really speak to each other for 5 years.

There are plenty of dark times, but these did not (nor should they) inspire the best out of the band.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/09/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#69 Posted : 07 September 2016 22:57:53(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

That is exactly how I feel about the period. London were desperate to plug NO as this eternally cool, vital outfit ('The beginning of a long relationship i.e. 2 LPs in I cant be arsed to work out how many years though I could have by now) and NO had to go along with it, but their heart really wasn't in it. You could tell from their most lack lustre LP since Movement and the gigs (a handful with no surprise tracks, unless you include Special). 'Republic is their most exquisitely doom-laden album to date' - nope, just thir most boring. I was a massive fan back then and wanted to be, but even I wasn't convinced
In 96, Bernard said, We did 13 gigs, one for each track on Republic, and the others - bastards - never told me there were only 12 tracks on Republic... Tells you something about his involvement. I'm also convinced the fans know far more about those seemingly endless rehashes than the band members.

Edited by user 09 September 2016 02:58:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 08/09/2016(UTC)
rosygale  
#70 Posted : 08 September 2016 04:19:19(UTC)
rosygale

Woman

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 81 post(s)

Going in, they were tasked with regrouping to save their crumbling record company that saw fit to pump money into the Hacienda (and other acts) instead of pay them. The band members had their taste of creative freedom with their "side projects", but Bernard's was (by far) the most successful. Whatever struggles they had with the band being a creative democracy up to Technique were now amplified. One of Stephen Hague's roles was to make the production decisions that the band would otherwise have to deliberate over. That's why Republic is their most bland, generic work. There are some good tracks, but their hearts weren't really in it.

Did you see any of the 1993 shows? They only bothered to do 13 and I went to 2 of those. They were way more perfunctory and only-doing-it-for-the-money than Hooky imagines the shows without him are. I'd only seen them 3 times before, but could tell those weren't just "off nights". After the tour, the band didn't really speak to each other for 5 years.

There are plenty of dark times, but these did not (nor should they) inspire the best out of the band.

That goes without saying of course about dark times and inspiration… I’m sure you’re right and it certainly sounds very stressful. Even although, it’s still my fav New Order album, but this is not a recent thing and is perhaps due to my perspective being distorted by my own experiences, and of course in 1993 I had no idea of the background to making the album, which coincidentally was not a great time for me either relative to what had gone before. I was so relieved when it came out that the stars were still shining in that patch of sky, so to speak.  It doesn’t sound bland or generic to me. When I finally noticed it, I actually thought it that the artwork deliberately featured advertising type language to contrast the music.  Could it be that he (Saville) was taking the piss and I was the last to notice?  I haven’t been to any gigs post 1988, so no inkling of the situation from that source, only found out sometime later as far as I recall.

However, shock horror, I also love Raise the Pressure and was surprised by scathing reviews so maybe all that was irrelevant and I would’ve loved it no matter what.

Didn’t Steve say that no matter how bad some gig was, there would always be someone say afterwards it was the best of their life? Same for albums it appears. Big Grin

thanks 2 users thanked rosygale for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/09/2016(UTC), Andy on 13/09/2016(UTC)
Debaser  
#71 Posted : 13 September 2016 05:21:39(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
For those wondering what it looks like:

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/09/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#72 Posted : 13 September 2016 06:26:08(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

[It doesn’t sound bland or generic to me.

Couldn't agree less.

Edited by user 13 September 2016 06:27:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Michael Monkhouse  
#73 Posted : 13 September 2016 06:31:23(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

the artwork deliberately featured advertising type language to contrast the music.  

In the run up, Savile said it was echoing Thomson's holiday brochures.
Holidays are NICE. Having your fucking house burnt down is NOT NICE. Savile is contrasting NICE and NOT NICE things. Smart.
Michael Monkhouse  
#74 Posted : 13 September 2016 06:34:22(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I also love Raise the Pressure and was surprised by scathing reviews so maybe all that was irrelevant and I would’ve loved it no matter what.

My favourite RTP review was indeed scathing but true. http://www.feeleverybeat.../albums/nme6july1996.jpg
Michael Monkhouse  
#75 Posted : 13 September 2016 06:35:57(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Didn’t Steve say that no matter how bad some gig was, there would always be someone say afterwards it was the best of their life? Same for albums it appears.

Tell that to Victoria Beckham. This quote is from the Glasgow DVD but Steve talks a lot of shit so he can fill the time and go back to his home.