logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages«<45678>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
50poundnote  
#126 Posted : 03 October 2023 15:47:44(UTC)
50poundnote

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 935 time(s) in 517 post(s)
Hi Johnny,

Will the standard, full-length version of Shellshock appear anywhere? I mean the version from the Pretty In Pink soundtrack (licensed to A&M) - not the single edit, or the extended mixes.

Also, I know what Recycle referred to as Thieves Live Us Instrumental '86 - which was also used in Pretty In Pink - appeared on the U.S. pressing of Shellshock instead of Shell-Cock. Is that being included anywhere?

Thanks!
thanks 4 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
daftpunk on 03/10/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 03/10/2023(UTC), Jul on 04/10/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 05/10/2023(UTC)
Johnny James  
#127 Posted : 04 October 2023 22:06:23(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post
Hi Johnny,

Will the standard, full-length version of Shellshock appear anywhere? I mean the version from the Pretty In Pink soundtrack (licensed to A&M) - not the single edit, or the extended mixes.

Also, I know what Recycle referred to as Thieves Live Us Instrumental '86 - which was also used in Pretty In Pink - appeared on the U.S. pressing of Shellshock instead of Shell-Cock. Is that being included anywhere?

Thanks!

We probably should try and find a way to get that Shell Shock out. That version of the TLU instrumental did come out on the PCL Collector's Edition (possibly by accident).
thanks 5 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Andy on 04/10/2023(UTC), 50poundnote on 05/10/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 05/10/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 05/10/2023(UTC), Jul on 05/10/2023(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#128 Posted : 04 October 2023 23:30:38(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 626 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post
Hi Johnny,

Thanks!

We probably should try and find a way to get that Shell Shock out. That version of the TLU instrumental did come out on the PCL Collector's Edition (possibly by accident).

There's three versions of the full length TLU Instrumental (four if you include the Instrumental Edit on the Shellshock 7"). The "official" released version (a composite of two other takes), what I understand is "Take 1" (featured on the collectors edition), and "Take 2" which is on the Shellshock US 12". I have all three, and the version on the Shellshock 12" hasn't come out digitally elsewhere. Although there's not a great deal difference between them.

Although the 12" of Shellshock accompanied the Low-Life Definitive Edition, as it was actually released between Low-Life and Brotherhood, maybe there's a justification for putting the original Pretty In Pink soundtrack version on the Brotherhood Definitive bonus disc?

Cheers!
thanks 4 users thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
Like No Other on 05/10/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 05/10/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 05/10/2023(UTC), Jul on 05/10/2023(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#129 Posted : 05 October 2023 01:14:00(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

So continuing the recent (fascinating) discussions about those U-Matic tapes being unreliable and only having 44.1kHz, 16-bit sound quality, I've been trying to get a picture of which tracks on the 'Substance' reissue needed workarounds to upgrade the sound quality, whilst preserving the original U-Matic edits. Forgive me for over-obsessing, but, hey, it's my favourite album and I'm excited about its reissue (plus I'm extremely interested in the time, effort and attention to detail going into these re-releases in order to get their sound quality upgraded). How's this for a summary Johnny:

Tracks with digitally recreated 'Substance Edits' (i.e. original 12" master tapes scanned, then digitally edited to recreate the U-Matic 'Substance' edits from 1987):

• Sub-culture [remaster of original 12" version, edited digitally to reproduce the 'Substance' edit]
  • Shellshock [remaster of original 12" version, edited to reproduce the 'Substance' edit]
  • Hurt [remaster of original 12" version, edited to reproduce the 'Substance' edit]

Tracks with digitally recreated 12" versions (i.e. original master tapes scanned, then digitally edited to recreate the original 12" single versions):

• Thieves Like Us Instrumental [remaster of 2 x alternate takes ("Take 1" from 'Power, Corruption & Lies' Collector's Edition; "Take 2" from US 'Shellshock' 12"), digitally editing Take 1 into Take 2 at around 1:49-1:53, plus reproducing a looped section from 3:35 that repeats at 3:52 - same version that appears on the 2020 12"/digital single reissue]

Tracks remastered from production masters of U-Matic tapes (i.e. original source not available, so production master used instead):

• The Beach [remaster of production master tape of original 12" version - same version that appears on the 2020 12"/digital single reissue. Original 12" master consisted of 2 x alternate takes, one section of which was composited into the other using a U-Matic. One of the takes appears on 'Power, Corruption & Lies' Collector's Edition, but unable to source the other missing part on the analogue reels for a new edit. Also the U-matic that had it on failed, so in the end had to use an analogue production master (probably sourced at the time from the U-Matic based edited version).]

Tracks different to the original Substance:

• In A Lonely Place [original 12" version used instead of the alternate take that was incorrectly used on the original 1987 'Substance' - same version that appears on the the 2019 'Ceremony' 12"/Digital single reissue']
  • Murder [remaster of original master tape version (that can be heard on 'Power, Corruption & Lies' Collector's Edition, with 5 extra beats at the beginning), including the first 5 beats missing from the original 12" and 1987 'Substance' releases, as well as the 2020 12"/digital single reissue - meaning the version of 'Murder' on the new 'Substance' is different to the original 'Substance' version]

Are all the other tracks on the 'Substance' reissue (and, therefore all other tracks on the remastered 12" inches released so far) all sourced from original master tapes and unedited?

Thanks for all the background info on this and other reissues - I find it really intruiging!

Edited by user 26 November 2023 08:06:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/10/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 05/10/2023(UTC), Jul on 05/10/2023(UTC)
Johnny James  
#130 Posted : 05 October 2023 03:20:44(UTC)
Johnny James

Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post
So continuing the recent (fascinating) discussions about those U-Matic tapes being unreliable and only having 44.1kHz, 16-bit sound quality, I've been trying to get a picture of which tracks on the 'Substance' reissue needed workarounds to upgrade the sound quality, whilst preserving the original U-Matic edits. Forgive me for over-obsessing, but, hey, it's my favourite album and I'm excited about its reissue (plus I'm extremely interested in the time, effort and attention to detail going into these re-releases in order to get their sound quality upgraded) How's this for a summary Johnny:

Tracks with digitally recreated 'Substance Edits' (i.e. original 12" master tapes scanned, then digitally edited to recreate the U-Matic 'Substance' edits from 1987):

• Sub-culture [remaster of original 12" version, edited digitally to reproduce the 'Substance' edit]
  • Shellshock [remaster of original 12" version, edited to reproduce the 'Substance' edit]
  • Hurt [remaster of original 12" version, edited to reproduce the 'Substance' edit]

Tracks with digitally recreated 12" versions (i.e. original master tapes scanned, then digitally edited to recreate the original 12" single versions):

• The Beach [remaster of 2 x alternate takes, one section of which then digitally composited into the other to reproduce the original 12" version - same version that appears on the 2020 12"/digital single reissue]
  • Murder [remaster of original master tape version (that can be heard on 'Power, Corruption & Lies' Collector's Edition, with 5 extra beats at the beginning), edited digitally to remove the first 5 beats - same version that appears on the 2020 12"/digital single reissue]
  • Thieves Like Us Instrumental [remaster of 2 x alternate takes ("Take 1" from 'Power, Corruption & Lies' Collector's Edition; "Take 2" from US 'Shellshock' 12"), digitally editing Take 1 into Take 2 at around 1:49-1:53 - same version that appears on the 2020 12"/digital single reissue]

Johnny, am I correct listing 'The Beach' above - I recall you said something about not being able to get hold of the original master tapes and/or U-Matics, so had to remaster it from a production master tape instead?

Are all the other tracks on the 'Substance' reissue (and, therefore all other tracks on the remastered 12" inches released so far) all sourced from original master tapes and unedited?

Thanks for all the background info on this and other reissues - I find it really intruiging!

For The Beach we couldn't find the missing part on the analogue reels for a new edit, also the U-matic that had it on failed, so in the end had to use an analogue production master (probably sourced at the time from a U-Matic based edited version).
thanks 6 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/10/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 05/10/2023(UTC), 50poundnote on 05/10/2023(UTC), Jul on 05/10/2023(UTC), Rorschach on 05/10/2023(UTC), Andy on 05/10/2023(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#131 Posted : 05 October 2023 06:18:02(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

For The Beach we couldn't find the missing part on the analogue reels for a new edit, also the U-matic that had it on failed, so in the end had to use an analogue production master (probably sourced at the time from a U-Matic based edited version).

Thanks again for the explanation Johnny - I've updated my previous post with your info. Sounds like you guys were very lucky to have enough source material in the archives to create these releases with improved sound quality!

Does this therefore mean that even back in 1983, the versions of 'The Beach' and other U-Matic edits ('Thieves Like Us Instrumental', 'Murder', '586'), plus the the 1987 'Substance' edits of 'Sub-culture' and 'Shellshock' that we were listening to on "superior" vinyl, were actually only ever sourced from U-Matic masters limited to 44.1kHz 16-bit CD quality?

Reading your previous post on the 'Power, Corruption & Lies' thread, it's sounds like the whole vinyl pressing of the album was created from a U-Matic CD quality master - possibly the same with the original 'Substance'? Crazy to think that people championing the vinyl pressings of these albums back in the eighties had no idea they were limited to CD sampling rates!

What years were New Order using U-Matics for - sounds like '83 to '87?

Was there anything on 'Low-life' edited on U-Matic that you had to digitally recreate, or were these all tape edits?

Is everything else not on my 'Substance' list above remastered from original master tape sources without other workarounds / digital edits?

Cheers!

Edited by user 08 October 2023 03:17:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/10/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 05/10/2023(UTC)
Johnny James  
#132 Posted : 05 October 2023 22:37:24(UTC)
Johnny James

[For The Beach we couldn't find the missing part on the analogue reels for a new edit, also the U-matic that had it on failed, so in the end had to use an analogue production master (probably sourced at the time from a U-Matic based edited version).

Thanks again for the explanation Johnny - I've updated my previous post with your info. Sounds like you guys were very lucky to have enough source material in the archives to create these releases with improved sound quality!

Does this therefore mean that even back in 1983, the versions of 'The Beach' and other U-Matic edits ('Thieves Like Us Instrumental', 'Murder', '586'), plus the the 1987 'Substance' edits of 'Sub-culture' and 'Shellshock' that we were listening to on "superior" vinyl, were actually only ever sourced from U-Matic masters limited to 44.1kHz 16-bit CD quality?

Reading your previous post on the 'Power, Corruption & Lies' thread, it's sounds like the whole vinyl pressing of the album was created from a U-Matic CD quality master - possibly the same with the original 'Substance'? Crazy to think that people championing the vinyl pressings of these albums back in the eighties had no idea they were limited to CD sampling rates!

What years were New Order using U-Matics for - sounds like '83 to '87?

Was there anything on 'Low-life' edited on U-Matic that you had to digitally recreate, or were these all tape edits?

Is everything else not on my 'Substance' list above remastered from original master tape sources without other workarounds / digital edits?

Cheers!

I'm fairly sure that once the brand new technology of the U-Matics came along they were used in the process every time, you could edit on them instead of splicing tapes (well, with two of them). They're very much present in the archives until DATs and CD-Rs came along (also not any better in quality). Pro-tools becomes a thing early 2000s as well (slight improvement in quality but very hard to re-open any sessions).

They did always seems to produce analogue production masters to cut vinyl, though very likely to have been through a digital stage.

Low Life was from an analogue pair of reels. No new edits though there might have been one or two minor fixes (can't remember).

I think everything else on Substance was analogue studio master sourced, though a couple (BLT / Shell Shock) might have been from production master reels.
thanks 4 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Andy on 06/10/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 06/10/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 06/10/2023(UTC), steinomite on 09/11/2023(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#133 Posted : 05 October 2023 23:25:43(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

They did always seems to produce analogue production masters to cut vinyl, though very likely to have been through a digital stage.

Low Life was from an analogue pair of reels. No new edits though there might have been one or two minor fixes (can't remember)

Interesting that the old analogue masters would have been through a digital stage - so those early Factory vinyl albums would've had no more than CD quality.

Regarding 'Low-life': 'The Perfect Kiss', 'Elegia', 'Sooner Than You Think' and possibly 'Sunrise' all have longer versions, or versions with longer sections, so I wonder if at least those four songs went through U-Matic edits before making it onto your master reels?

Thanks again, amazing background info!

Edited by user 08 October 2023 03:20:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 06/10/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 06/10/2023(UTC)
Johnny James  
#134 Posted : 06 October 2023 02:36:40(UTC)
Johnny James

Low Life was from an analogue pair of reels. No new edits though there might have been one or two minor fixes (can't remember)

Interesting that the old analogue masters would have been through a digital stage - so those early Factory vinyl albums would've had no more than CD quality.

Regarding 'Low-life', 'The Perfect Kiss', 'Elegia', 'Sooner Than You Think' and possibly 'Sunrise' all have longer versions, or versions with longer sections, so I wonder if at least those four songs went through U-Matic edits before making it onto your master reels?

Thanks again, amazing background info!

I think those particular album edits might have been done on analogue reels in the studio whilst recording and mixing the album. You'd have to ask Michael Johnson or the band.
thanks 3 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/10/2023(UTC), Andy on 06/10/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 06/10/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#135 Posted : 07 November 2023 13:39:02(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3458 time(s) in 2253 post(s)
Red and Blue vinyl version arrived from Rough Trade today. Didn't think it was released until next week.

It's a thing of beauty. Obvs.

Not sure when I'll get the CD and 3 x 12"s. Ordered them from Amazon.co.uk.
thanks 4 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Like No Other on 07/11/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 07/11/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/11/2023(UTC), negative1 on 07/11/2023(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#136 Posted : 07 November 2023 15:04:54(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Red and Blue vinyl version arrived from Rough Trade today. Didn't think it was released until next week.

It's a thing of beauty. Obvs.

Not sure when I'll get the CD and 3 x 12"s. Ordered them from Amazon.co.uk.

Very jealous. I ordered mine from Picadilly Records, so guess I have to wait until at least the official release date on Friday (assuming they ship in time to arrive then). Today was my birthday, so would've been a perfect day to receive a vinyl remaster of my all time favourite album.
ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 09/11/2023(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#137 Posted : 08 November 2023 03:49:46(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 556 time(s) in 312 post(s)
12"s have now risen from £17.99 to £19.99 on Amazon

thanks 3 users thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 08/11/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 09/11/2023(UTC)
EmileStrunz  
#138 Posted : 08 November 2023 03:53:08(UTC)
EmileStrunz

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 38 post(s)
My red and blue came this morning

Outer sleeve has embossed lettering but isn’t like my original glossy cover. It’s still lovely though.

The vinyl looks gorgeous and sounds it too. They’ve done a really good job on the mastering. Hearing loads of little details I’d not heard before. Sounds really fresh.

thanks 3 users thanked EmileStrunz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 08/11/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 09/11/2023(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#139 Posted : 08 November 2023 04:50:00(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Johnny, will any digital download stores be selling hi-rez versions of the 'Substance' reissue? I know the recent 12" releases were 24-bit on Qobuz, but it's only listing 'Substance' as 16-bit CD quality.
thanks 3 users thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/11/2023(UTC), Mike C. on 08/11/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 09/11/2023(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#140 Posted : 09 November 2023 17:18:57(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

My coloured vinyl turned up from Picadilly Records, but there are two white visible scuffs on 'Shellshock' - one right at the end that's very audible, so it will have to go back for a replacement. Typical, as that's my favourite New Order track (and favourite version of it).

Plus my brand new pair of Sennheiser HD 450BT headphones are faulty too - sounds like an old-school modem dialling up when I turn it on. So two things to send back!

Didn't listen to the whole of the album - just checked if the scuffs were audible, and dipped in a little bit elsewhere. Tiny observation that the gap between 'The Perfect Kiss' and 'Subculture' is 2-3 seconds longer than the original CD (never had the original vinyl, so that may have been longer). I always liked the way 'Subculture' kicked straight in as the funny goblin noise started to fade out (not sure if it was originally a crossfade - more than likely a tight U-Matic edit). Think I'm already learning to enjoy having the full track right to its very silent end - and fabulous that it'll finally be the full 12" version for the first time ever on the CD format of 'Substance'!

Also listened to the "re-edited" 'Substance' edits of 'Subculture' and 'Shellshock', which are both spot on and impossible to tell they're recreated - well done indeed!

Hoping I get to listen to a non-scuffed version of the vinyl in the next few days, and enjoy the 4 x CD set when it turns up from Amazon on Friday.

Well done again for bringing this out - I love that this album has finally been remastered and re-released, and 10/10 for the 4 x CD tracklisting!

Edited by user 10 November 2023 05:31:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
negative1 on 09/11/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/11/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 10/11/2023(UTC), Jul on 10/11/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 10/11/2023(UTC)
Jcp7  
#141 Posted : 10 November 2023 07:34:20(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 644 time(s) in 540 post(s)
Big surprise, the digital 3x12" are already available on Qobuz (highRes). Smile

I remember, we had wait some weeks/months for the last bunch (PK, Subcult, Shell).
thanks 5 users thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
negative1 on 10/11/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 10/11/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/11/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 10/11/2023(UTC), Jul on 11/11/2023(UTC)
50poundnote  
#142 Posted : 10 November 2023 08:55:14(UTC)
50poundnote

I ordered the standard 2xCD from Amazon US to tide me over until my bundle arrives, and all week long it's been showing as arriving today, but not yet shipped. Well, about an hour ago, Amazon cancelled the order and sent me a notice that they didn't have it in stock. Bummer. I may check out my local indie today and see if they got any.

I've been listening through samples online, though, and I love hearing the live show in such great quality after having an audience bootleg for 20 years.
thanks 5 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
negative1 on 10/11/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 10/11/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 10/11/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 10/11/2023(UTC), Jul on 11/11/2023(UTC)
50poundnote  
#143 Posted : 10 November 2023 09:01:55(UTC)
50poundnote

Looks like the 2-disc has disappeared from the UK Amazon store as well.
thanks 2 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/11/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 10/11/2023(UTC)
steinomite  
#144 Posted : 10 November 2023 14:16:18(UTC)
steinomite

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 76 post(s)
My red & blue vinyl copy just in the Chicago suburbs from Turntable Lab. While I didn't get it as early as some of you folks in the UK, I am pleasantly surprised to have received it in the US on release day. Not to mention the fact that, with sales taxes and shipping, it only cost me $40.27

Anyways, it's not quite as cool as my Gatefold Substance, but have to say that Warners (and Mr. Zeiter) did a nice job on it. A big thumbs up from this fan!

-Mike

Edited by user 10 November 2023 14:19:38(UTC)  | Reason: Grammar correction

thanks 4 users thanked steinomite for this useful post.
Like No Other on 10/11/2023(UTC), Mr. Disco on 10/11/2023(UTC), Jul on 11/11/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 14/01/2024(UTC)
Mr. Disco  
#145 Posted : 10 November 2023 15:47:26(UTC)
Mr. Disco

Man

Was thanked: 382 time(s) in 201 post(s)
My 4xCD is on its way from iMusic DK.

Meanwhile:

https://darko.audio/2023...more-songs-weaker-sound/
thanks 1 user thanked Mr. Disco for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/11/2023(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#146 Posted : 10 November 2023 18:21:54(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Originally Posted by: Mr. Disco Go to Quoted Post
My 4xCD is on its way from iMusic DK.

Meanwhile:

https://darko.audio/2023...more-songs-weaker-sound/

His article is wrong / misremembered. The Substance tapes never featured the full length Perfect Kiss, Subculture and Shellshock.

Also, I'm getting so tired of these articles obsessing over the dynamic range of releases. Sure, those 90s Oasis albums were brickwalled, but more recent remasters are nowhere near as severe. If "audiophiles" didn't anally run each and every CD and vinyl grab through audio software, they'd never even notice the difference.

My right ear has distorted whenever audio has loud peaks ever since Pet Shop Boys opened their first tour with One More Chance at Wembley Arena, so a tighter dynamic range is better for me, as less peaks mean less chance of my ear crackling. Plus is easier to listen to out and about on portable music players without the everyday background noise seeping in. I've never found a slightly tighter dynamic range tiring to listen to.

Honestly, all this bitching about a 4dB RMS difference is nuts. I got the 4 x CD and listened to disc 1 today - thought it sounded superb. A lovely remastering. Very satisfied with it. It's beautiful, and better than the tinny original. Will truly be my "definitive" edition.

Edited by user 11 November 2023 03:11:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mr. Disco on 11/11/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 12/11/2023(UTC)
M1  
#147 Posted : 10 November 2023 22:30:16(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 296 time(s) in 238 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Hmm, looks like there's a bit of variant in track order between UK cassette copies:

Big white box (Murder on tape 1):

https://www.discogs.com/...1330-New-Order-Substance

Slipcase (variant 1) (Murder on tape 1):

https://www.discogs.com/...5355-New-Order-Substance

Slipcase (variant 2) (Murder on tape 1):

https://www.discogs.com/...0947-New-Order-Substance

Slipcase (variant 3) (Murder on tape 1):

https://www.discogs.com/...5879-New-Order-Substance

Slipcase (variant 4) (Murder on tape 2):

https://www.discogs.com/...1693-New-Order-Substance

Slipcase (variant 5 - embossed) (Murder on tape 2):

https://www.discogs.com/...2105-New-Order-Substance

Only the big white box has incorrect printing on it, which states Murder is on tape 2, but is actually on tape 1. All others are printed as per the actual running order (I think!).

Was there ever a Substance 2 x cassette release with True Dub at the end? I seem to remember someone here posting a pic of it, and see mention of it on Wikipedia and the NO Wiki, but can't find it on Discogs or elsewhere. A limited edition apparently? Would be a ridiculously long tape! Closest I can find is the Canadian 'Substance Sides' release https://www.discogs.com/release/...ew-Order-Substance-Sides

thanks 3 users thanked M1 for this useful post.
Mr. Disco on 11/11/2023(UTC), Jul on 11/11/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 14/01/2024(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#148 Posted : 11 November 2023 04:52:53(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 556 time(s) in 312 post(s)
I notice in the CD booklet it says that 2 of the live tracks have been patched:

Subculture patched with audio from Park West, Park City, Utah (September 9th, 1987)
Shellshock patched with audio from Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, Colorado (September 8th, 1987)

What's the story there? Just a damaged master DAT?
thanks 2 users thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
Mr. Disco on 12/11/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 13/01/2024(UTC)
50poundnote  
#149 Posted : 11 November 2023 07:41:44(UTC)
50poundnote

Originally Posted by: GotBlueEyes Go to Quoted Post
I notice in the CD booklet it says that 2 of the live tracks have been patched:

Subculture patched with audio from Park West, Park City, Utah (September 9th, 1987)
Shellshock patched with audio from Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, Colorado (September 8th, 1987)

What's the story there? Just a damaged master DAT?

Whoever was at the mixing desk had to flip the tape. DATs were released to market in 1987, but I'm sure the band was using standard cassette tapes at the time.

Edited by user 11 November 2023 08:03:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

50poundnote  
#150 Posted : 11 November 2023 07:43:13(UTC)
50poundnote

His article is wrong / misremembered. The Substance tapes never featured the full length Perfect Kiss, Subculture and Shellshock.

Wrong. Every cassette version features the full-length version of The Perfect Kiss (as does the vinyl). That was only edited for the CD.

Edited by user 11 November 2023 07:43:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified