logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

23 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#26 Posted : 03 October 2020 12:05:00(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2982 time(s) in 2067 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

As for the story about Saville hating the Subculture remix. What's the source?

Dunno about the source. It's again one of those things that was probably said in an article back in the day. ..

However, that kind of goes against what Saville says in that Discogs link above where he says 'No, all I can presume is that one was not asked for.' (which is presumably your source for Saville not being asked). However, this may have been an off the cuff remark...

Well Discogs isn't my direct source but the interview they refer to certainly is. I (and many of us?) watched it earlier this year as a sort of Lockdown special.
He was specifically asked the question by Dave Haslam and he gave a specific answer.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/10/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#27 Posted : 03 October 2020 13:02:36(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)

Well Discogs isn't my direct source but the interview they refer to certainly is. I (and many of us?) watched it earlier this year as a sort of Lockdown special.
He was specifically asked the question by Dave Haslam and he gave a specific answer.

Thanks for this.

Just checked that interview and he says the following as regards not liking the remix:

<smiling and shaking his head> "That's a degree of autonomy or freedom that I was not given. I was not free to choose. I could've said someone else could do it but I never had the authority to say there shouldn't be a sleeve. No, all I can presume is that one was not asked for."

So that pretty much scotches the rumour that he "hated the remix" and didn't design the sleeve for that reason.

However, I think the use of the word "presume" doesn't really confirm whether he was asked to design it or not. It's just his presumption, based on the fact that Haslam pointed out that he didn't do the sleeve. I got the feeling that he didn't properly remember the details of that particular project.

What is also odd is if, as he says, he 'presumes' that one wasn't asked for, why did they ask him to design the typography? That doesn't really make any sense. "Yeah, we'd like you to do the labels, but don't bother with a sleeve". Was it the band's intention to have a plain sleeve or get someone else to do it?

The Haslam interview continues:

Haslam: "I think maybe Rob Gretton wanted a kind of disco bag in the kind of (?) New York style."
Saville: "Maybe he wanted it by the end of the month and he knew that if he asked me that was not going to happen."

Lots of speculation with the answers to this question. Nothing clear cut.

There's something we're missing here, in my opinion.
Some reason for him doing the labels, but (seemingly) not doing the sleeve.

My theory has always, in the past, been 'lateness' (i.e. he was rushed during the project and only managed to get the labels done by the time of release).
But since that NOO thread linked to above, I'm torn between my theory and 50poundnote's theory that the black sleeve is the design.

Maybe it's a combination of both. Maybe Saville wasn't ready, but was happy enough with the label design and thought 'OK, how about I just 'clothe' the record in a nice black sleeve that'll show off the nifty typography I've put on the labels'.

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/10/2020(UTC), Debaser on 04/10/2020(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#28 Posted : 03 October 2020 22:20:36(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Subculture is also the only single never to have a vid made. I use that fact to break the ice at parties. I don't get invited to parties very often.
I thought the very reason they chose Gillian was that She WASN'T a maestro and wouldn't try to take over. Like my dad, she was good for slotting in. If you think about it, and even if you don't, 'I got some bits in' is a fucking hilarious thing for a band member to say. 'So John, tell us about your new album, Sergeant Pepper.' - 'Er yes, hahaha! I got some bits in on one track. Er yes, hahaha! I did one second all by myself! Hahaha!'
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/10/2020(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#29 Posted : 03 October 2020 23:11:44(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

From what I've read about him, he was not someone who particularly cared much about New Order's music. I can't really imagine him taking the time to listen to a test pressing, let alone dismiss it
Smile

This is an important point. In 1993 there was a massive Select article and he said people think you listen to the music and choose an appropriate image, but it's not the case. Often they'd contact him cos they needed a sleeve and he'd just give them whatever he happened to be working on at the time. The classic example Is the leaf on Goo Face, which I though was inspired by the theme of time passing. It was actually inspired by a fucking leaf.
As I said, the only source I know for the blank sleeve / snub story Is Paradise, so pinch of salt etc.
Savile is their secret weapon!
PS
https://selectmagazinesc....monkeon.co.uk/?cat=1044

Edited by user 03 October 2020 23:17:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Michael Monkhouse  
#30 Posted : 04 October 2020 01:02:20(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Rocket Mick is these forums' secret weapon!
GotBlueEyes  
#31 Posted : 04 October 2020 08:59:52(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Does Skullcrusher fit on here? They were certainly playing it live around that time (with lyrics) and we know Let's Go (also on the Salvation! OST) dates back to 84/85 too and a studio version exists from the Lowlife sessions, wonder if they demo'ed Skullcrusher back then too?

thanks 1 user thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
Fotz  
#32 Posted : 04 October 2020 09:24:11(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3607 time(s) in 2612 post(s)
Did the BBC film the whole of the (first) set at Hacienda,December 85? That Whistle Test thing. Has to be on the box if it exists.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#33 Posted : 04 October 2020 10:09:42(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Did the BBC film the whole of the (first) set at Hacienda,December 85? That Whistle Test thing. Has to be on the box if it exists.

Sadly, Johnny James confirmed that the BBC stopped filming part way through the third track.
It’s a real shame because it looked like an awesome gig. That version of ‘Sunrise’ is one of my favourite live renditions.

Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post
Thanks.

One I’d love to see is the complete gig from December 1985 (i.e. the one that was partly broadcast on The Old Grey Whistle Test).

Unfortunately the BBC stopped filmed part way through Face Up.

Edited by user 04 October 2020 10:16:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz on 04/10/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 04/10/2020(UTC)
M1  
#34 Posted : 06 October 2020 16:15:33(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post
Low-life with The Perfect Kiss and Subculture

Brotherhood with Shellshock, State Of The Nation, and Bizarre Love Triangle

Substance with True Faith, TF Remix, Touched By The Hand Of God, and Blue Monday '88

(Rolls Touched By The Hand Of God and Blue Monday '88 in on an extra CD, but preserves the track list of the original more or less)

Technique with Fine Time, FT Remix, Round & Round, Round & Remix, Run 2, World In Motion, and WIM Remix

(All the remaining remixes rolled in across 2 additional CDs)

If they follow the Collector's Edition bonus disc format, and are going to keep to 4 x 12" reissues alongside each box, it might be more like:

Low-Life: TPK / Sub-culture / Shellshock / State of the Nation (seems wrong I know)
Brotherhood: BLT / True Faith / Touched by the Hand of God / Blue Monday 88
Technique: Fine Time / Round and Round / Run 2 / World in Motion

And then if they do Substance, they might bundle it with the remix 12"s: True Faith remix, Fine Time remix, R&R remix, World in Motion remix.

Some of those timeframes are jarringly wrong, but it reflects what they did before and would make it a neat set of releases.

thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/10/2020(UTC)
daftpunk  
#35 Posted : 06 October 2020 17:58:26(UTC)
daftpunk

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: M1 Go to Quoted Post
Low-life with The Perfect Kiss and Subculture

Brotherhood with Shellshock, State Of The Nation, and Bizarre Love Triangle

Substance with True Faith, TF Remix, Touched By The Hand Of God, and Blue Monday '88

(Rolls Touched By The Hand Of God and Blue Monday '88 in on an extra CD, but preserves the track list of the original more or less)

Technique with Fine Time, FT Remix, Round & Round, Round & Remix, Run 2, World In Motion, and WIM Remix

(All the remaining remixes rolled in across 2 additional CDs)

If they follow the Collector's Edition bonus disc format, and are going to keep to 4 x 12" reissues alongside each box, it might be more like:

Low-Life: TPK / Sub-culture / Shellshock / State of the Nation (seems wrong I know)

And then if they do Substance, they might bundle it with the remix 12"s: True Faith remix, Fine Time remix, R&R remix, World in Motion remix.

Some of those timeframes are jarringly wrong, but it reflects what they did before and would make it a neat set of releases.

I know I'm jumping the gun here quite a bit, but let's add Republic to the list too! In my dream of dreams, we'd get a bonus disc of all the tracks pre-Barney. Not that I don't love the final product, but it would be fantastic to hear the original versions after all these years...
thanks 1 user thanked daftpunk for this useful post.
50poundnote  
#36 Posted : 06 October 2020 18:06:19(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)

Nothing says they have to release 4 singles alongside each box, especially when it knocks the timeline out of whack.

Substance will surely be released between Brotherhood and Technique, where it belongs. It's just as much canon as any of the studio albums, and that's where these new single remasters will see a CD release.

Edited by user 06 October 2020 18:06:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
M1  
#37 Posted : 07 October 2020 15:40:34(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)

Nothing says they have to release 4 singles alongside each box, especially when it knocks the timeline out of whack.

Substance will surely be released between Brotherhood and Technique, where it belongs. It's just as much canon as any of the studio albums, and that's where these new single remasters will see a CD release.

They didn't give Substance a reissue for the Collectors Editions, so they have form in not equating it with the studio albums.
Fingers crossed it does get the deluxe treatment though. I wouldn't object if they retooled it to mop up the Factory era 12"s. Side E: Touched / BM98 / Fine Time; Side F: R&R / Run2 / WiM

Edited by user 07 October 2020 17:04:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/10/2020(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#38 Posted : 07 October 2020 22:54:21(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
I just hope it's not another 19 months until the 'Low-life' set gets released. One every six months please!
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/10/2020(UTC)
50poundnote  
#39 Posted : 08 October 2020 08:03:54(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
]They didn't give Substance a reissue for the Collectors Editions, so they have form in not equating it with the studio albums.
Fingers crossed it does get the deluxe treatment though. I wouldn't object if they retooled it to mop up the Factory era 12"s. Side E: Touched / BM98 / Fine Time; Side F: R&R / Run2 / WiM

It's wonderful that we even have this to debate. :D
thanks 3 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Rorschach on 08/10/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/10/2020(UTC), M1 on 12/10/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#40 Posted : 07 November 2020 07:57:43(UTC)
Fotz

Just remembered when i stumbled across it again when looking through some files on my laptop.That 'unknown and fairly advanced synth and sequencer song that never made it' one .The info on the file which i got from somewhere a couple of years back dates it as September 1984.So around the time they would have been near to getting into the studio to record Low Life in Autumn that year.Be good if they have a better audio of that one or could clean up what exists and include it on a Low Life definitive box.The recording is around 11-12 minutes long and has some great ideas and melodies in places and that car screeching skidding noise they used on Perfect Kiss at gigs.First heard it a couple years ago when i obtained the file.Just a thought.
ROCKET MICK on 09/11/2020(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#41 Posted : 07 November 2020 12:32:24(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Just remembered when i stumbled across it again when looking through some files on my laptop.That 'unknown and fairly advanced synth and sequencer song that never made it' one .The info on the file which i got from somewhere a couple of years back dates it as September 1984.So around the time they would have been near to getting into the studio to record Low Life in Autumn that year.Be good if they have a better audio of that one or could clean up what exists and include it on a Low Life definitive box.The recording is around 11-12 minutes long and has some great ideas and melodies in places and that car screeching skidding noise they used on Perfect Kiss at gigs.First heard it a couple years ago when i obtained the file.Just a thought.

What's this track you're referring to here?

thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#42 Posted : 07 November 2020 13:27:00(UTC)
perspexorange

I'm guessing Fotz is referring to the 12 minute track that is sometimes included on 'rehearsals' bootlegs of the band.

It's been labelled as from a rehearsal dated 02/09/84 and there are other early versions of different songs from the same date, including 'Paradise', 'Love Vigilantes' and 'This Time Of Night'.

If you haven't heard it, just send me a PM and I'll wing it (and the rest of the rehearsals) over to you. Same goes for anyone else that wants to hear these.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz  
#43 Posted : 07 November 2020 13:46:46(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post

What's this track you're referring to here?

Send me a PM with an email adress and I can send it you via WeTransfer
djrigby1969  
#44 Posted : 08 November 2020 09:50:57(UTC)
djrigby1969

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Steve said during the Q and A with Dave Haslam the other night that they were still wondering how to do Substance - with a possibility of expanding and updating it. He said though that it needs remastering so it looks like something will happen.

thanks 2 users thanked djrigby1969 for this useful post.
Debaser on 08/11/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/11/2020(UTC)
Debaser  
#45 Posted : 08 November 2020 10:18:16(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2982 time(s) in 2067 post(s)
Ah, thanks DJ Rigby.
I wasn't prepared to pay to watch an online book plug, but I did wonder if any good stuff came up, and if it would get mentioned here. I wonder if anyone recorded it.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#46 Posted : 08 November 2020 10:20:02(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: djrigby1969 Go to Quoted Post

Steve said during the Q and A with Dave Haslam the other night that they were still wondering how to do Substance - with a possibility of expanding and updating it. He said though that it needs remastering so it looks like something will happen.

There’s presumably not a whole lot to do with ‘Substance’ in respect of remastering with most of the tracks being remastered anyway for the various 12”s.
I guess the ‘new’ versions of Temptation and Confusion and the ‘exclusive’ edits (Hurt, TPK, SubCulture and Shellshock) will need to done.

Plus any tracks added to a possible expanded version.

Although I love ‘Substance’, as I’ve said before, I’m not sure it needs a full ‘Definitive’ set.
Of course, I’d still buy one if released, but I just don’t really see what would be included on both the DVDs and the book that wouldn’t already have been included in a ‘Definitive’ ‘Brotherhood’ set.

Just an expanded, remastered set would do for me.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
prog99  
#47 Posted : 08 November 2020 13:17:45(UTC)
prog99

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 51 post(s)

Although I love ‘Substance’, as I’ve said before, I’m not sure it needs a full ‘Definitive’ set.

Substance was the gateway drug for me, I don't think it needs any tinkering, its perfect as it is.
thanks 1 user thanked prog99 for this useful post.
Mr Discography  
#48 Posted : 01 January 2021 06:17:34(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

The PCL set was beautiful, and Bernard's Renegade mix of 'Be A Rebel' was sublime. Looking forward to the live DVD in April, but need something more to keep me motivated in early 2021... So, Mr James... When's the 'Low-life' definitive boxed-set due..?

Edited by user 01 January 2021 06:42:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
Rorschach on 01/01/2021(UTC), negative1 on 01/01/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/01/2021(UTC)
Johnny James  
#49 Posted : 01 January 2021 22:33:24(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
The PCL set was beautiful, and Bernard's Renegade mix of 'Be A Rebel' was sublime. Looking forward to the live DVD in April, but need something more to keep me motivated in early 2021... So, Mr James... When's the 'Low-life' definitive boxed-set due..?

I could say that it's tentatively scheduled for Autumn, but that is so likely to shift. Who really knows.

thanks 2 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Andy on 02/01/2021(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/01/2021(UTC)
Fractured  
#50 Posted : 03 January 2021 10:53:24(UTC)
Fractured

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post

I could say that it's tentatively scheduled for Autumn, but that is so likely to shift. Who really knows.

Thanks for all your work on these sets. A question: The music on the Definitive Editions is available as official, paid downloads, but what about the tracks left off for reasons of space that were available and in consideration?

For years I've favored tangible CDs and records over downloads, but having started an account at Qobuz to buy lossless music otherwise unavailable, I have to admit - it's not that bad.

Have there been any discussions along those lines?
thanks 1 user thanked Fractured for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/01/2021(UTC)