logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spooky  
#26 Posted : 19 August 2012 13:12:31(UTC)
spooky

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 63 post(s)
for me, New Order's best years were from 1983-1989. everything else was just ok. it wouldn't bother me if NO released new material, however i wouldn't be excited for it. i'd rather see a new BL release or even better, a new Electronic album(i know that's not gonna happen anytime soon).
thanks 1 user thanked spooky for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/08/2012(UTC)
CTB  
#27 Posted : 19 August 2012 15:02:36(UTC)
CTB

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Volturno wrote:
Their next album is going to be quite amusing.
It can't possibly be as good as Get Ready, and they can't escape some truths about it. There are 2 outcomes: it either ends up as another Bad Lieutenant album or it sounds like WFTSC with Chapman trying to mimic Hooky's style, which would make all these "we are going separate ways, we don't need him" statements a huge load of bullcrap.

I remember reading interviews when NO came to Brazil in 2006, and most journalists, which knew very little about the band, said that Hooky was the only cheerful member and one even said that he was probably the sole reason for the band to still exist.
They should just get in a room, shout at each other for everything that got them pissed and get over it already.

I think it might be you that needs to get over it - Hooky left the band 5 years ago; his former bandmates are entitled to tour and make new music if they want. Just because you are inventing rules about what new material will sound like (and comparing it to the apparent 'gold standard' of Get Ready) doesn't make them true - it could end up sounding like Low-life for all you know. Sounds like you've already decided you won't like it anyway, which I'm sure worries the band no end.

Who in the band has ever said "we are going separate ways, we don't need him"? And even if they did, why would that prohibit Tom Chapman from playing bass that sounds a bit like Hooky on a new recording? And why would the opinions of ill-informed Brazilian journalists matter?
thanks 2 users thanked CTB for this useful post.
Eimi on 20/08/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 28/08/2012(UTC)
Volturno  
#28 Posted : 19 August 2012 21:13:01(UTC)
Volturno

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
CTB wrote:
Volturno wrote:
It can't possibly be as good as Get Ready, and they can't escape some truths about it. There are 2 outcomes: it either ends up as another Bad Lieutenant album or it sounds like WFTSC with Chapman trying to mimic Hooky's style, which would make all these "we are going separate ways, we don't need him" statements a huge load of bullcrap.

I remember reading interviews when NO came to Brazil in 2006, and most journalists, which knew very little about the band, said that Hooky was the only cheerful member and one even said that he was probably the sole reason for the band to still exist.
They should just get in a room, shout at each other for everything that got them pissed and get over it already.

I think it might be you that needs to get over it - Hooky left the band 5 years ago; his former bandmates are entitled to tour and make new music if they want. Just because you are inventing rules about what new material will sound like (and comparing it to the apparent 'gold standard' of Get Ready) doesn't make them true - it could end up sounding like Low-life for all you know. Sounds like you've already decided you won't like it anyway, which I'm sure worries the band no end.

Who in the band has ever said "we are going separate ways, we don't need him"? And even if they did, why would that prohibit Tom Chapman from playing bass that sounds a bit like Hooky on a new recording? And why would the opinions of ill-informed Brazilian journalists matter?

They sure have such right, but it's obvious that without Hooky they're just cashing in using the name.
I'm not inventing rules, it's logical that it won't sound just as good, simply because there won't be Hooky's bass and input over the direction. Get Ready is not a gold standard for me by the way, it's just the last album where Hooky seemed to have say on things and you can see it being a great part of most songs. It can't sound like Low-life because songs like Face Up and Sunrise are bass-driven, for instance.

There's nothing preventing Tom Chapman from trying to mimic Hooky's style, but my point was the hypocrisy in that, which they probably would rather avoid, considering all the bad blood.
What I meant talking about the brazilian journalists was that they had no prior opinion or even info about the members, so they weren't biased. And also that there's always two sides to a story, and they both could've been wrong for all we know.
thanks 1 user thanked Volturno for this useful post.
Eimi  
#29 Posted : 19 August 2012 21:40:44(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Volturno wrote:

They sure have such right, but it's obvious that without Hooky they're just cashing in using the name.
I'm not inventing rules, it's logical that it won't sound just as good, simply because there won't be Hooky's bass and input over the direction. Get Ready is not a gold standard for me by the way, it's just the last album where Hooky seemed to have say on things and you can see it being a great part of most songs. It can't sound like Low-life because songs like Face Up and Sunrise are bass-driven, for instance.

There's nothing preventing Tom Chapman from trying to mimic Hooky's style, but my point was the hypocrisy in that, which they probably would rather avoid, considering all the bad blood.
What I meant talking about the brazilian journalists was that they had no prior opinion or even info about the members, so they weren't biased. And also that there's always two sides to a story, and they both could've been wrong for all we know.

So they weren't cashing in when Gillian wasn't there yet they are if Hooky isn't there? (I know the reasons for their departures are different but still...) And if the Brazilian journalists you're talking about knew less about the band and didn't know basic info about the members than other journalists, it just proves that their opinions are more irrelevant and more likely to be inaccurate than other journalists who know what they're talking about. (Plus, in the end, even journalists that know what they're talking about are irrelevant.) Also, about what the journalists seemed to say...
Quote:
that Hooky was the only cheerful member and one even said that he was probably the sole reason for the band to still exist.
...that is being biased you know? They were making a judgement about something nonetheless.

About your earlier suggestion of ...
Quote:

I don't know if you're joking or if you're seriously suggesting it. But either way, it's a ridiculous idea. Roll Eyes Skeptic

Edited by user 19 August 2012 22:02:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#30 Posted : 19 August 2012 23:24:02(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Personally - and this is pure conjecture - I wouldn't be surprised if the half-finished BL album and Stuart Price project morph into a New Order LP, partly cos it'd shift more units, partly cos they're not the most prolific of outfits. Just a thought, no more than that.
PS Given that Hooky's spent the last 5 years ripping the shit out of 'em, I'm sure we can grant Phil and Tom a mild swipe.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Eimi on 19/08/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 28/08/2012(UTC)
Geri  
#31 Posted : 20 August 2012 02:15:19(UTC)
Geri

Woman

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 194 post(s)
Volturno wrote:
most journalists, which knew very little about the band, said that Hooky was the only cheerful member

and the rest of them have cheered up an awful lot since he left
I know, you know, we believe in a chosen few ...
thanks 1 user thanked Geri for this useful post.
Geri  
#32 Posted : 20 August 2012 02:16:28(UTC)
Geri

Woman

Michael Monkhouse wrote:
PS Given that Hooky's spent the last 5 years ripping the shit out of 'em, I'm sure we can grant Phil and Tom a mild swipe.

Absolutely Smile
thanks 2 users thanked Geri for this useful post.
Eimi on 20/08/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 28/08/2012(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround  
#33 Posted : 20 August 2012 02:55:59(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround

Man

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 132 post(s)
the new album will be good and will obviously sound a lot like bad lt

unlikely we will ever get another semen powered lp, but i'm sure there are more crystal like pearls to be had

hooky should leave them to it and stop blocking things; is this really how he wants to be remembered, as the man who killed new order rather than the man who left new order having contributed to 99% of their classics - get some dignity man!
thanks 1 user thanked UpDownTurnAround for this useful post.
Cap't Solo  
#34 Posted : 20 August 2012 07:10:44(UTC)
Cap't Solo

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Geri wrote:
Michael Monkhouse wrote:

Absolutely Smile

agreed, but I'm sure, as are those who have already posted, this comes with their leaders blessing or was it instruction.
slow down.
thanks 2 users thanked Cap't Solo for this useful post.
Eimi on 28/08/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 28/08/2012(UTC)
GlasVegas  
#35 Posted : 26 August 2012 11:17:12(UTC)
GlasVegas

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:
Coops wrote:
Andy wrote:

Chappy gets a bit sassy at the end there.

Yeah, I thought that too. After all that "Cant we all just our own things?" it ends with a bit of a swipeLaugh

The interview begins with Cunningham taking a swife at Hooky and ends with Chapman having a go....
Am I the only person here who finds this a tad ironic considering that neither of these two had anything whatsoever to do with what made New Order special in the first place?

Couldn't agree more. I can't believe this session musician guy is up on stage playing music written by another person in the unique style of that other person and then slagging that person off in an interview. Does he not have the self-awareness to realise how ridiculous that is? No class, no dignity.
thanks 1 user thanked GlasVegas for this useful post.
Eimi  
#36 Posted : 26 August 2012 20:03:26(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
GlasVegas wrote:
Cranelane wrote:
Coops wrote:
Andy wrote:

Chappy gets a bit sassy at the end there.

Yeah, I thought that too. After all that "Cant we all just our own things?" it ends with a bit of a swipeLaugh

The interview begins with Cunningham taking a swife at Hooky and ends with Chapman having a go....
Am I the only person here who finds this a tad ironic considering that neither of these two had anything whatsoever to do with what made New Order special in the first place?

Couldn't agree more. I can't believe this session musician guy is up on stage playing music written by another person in the unique style of that other person and then slagging that person off in an interview. Does he not have the self-awareness to realise how ridiculous that is? No class, no dignity.

What are you most annoyed about? That he's playing Hooky's basslines on stage, or his remarks? Or both?
thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
markreed  
#37 Posted : 27 August 2012 02:13:41(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Volturno wrote:
CTB wrote:
Volturno wrote:

I'd be careful accusing them of cashing in on the name.

They haven't done a 4 year "Bernard Sumner sings the many happy moods of Joy Division tour."

They haven't sold bits of ground up car park, yellow vinyl 10"s, replica instruments, or books clad in the tears of unicorns.

They haven't released EP's of cover versions of old songs sung by the ex-singer of Iron Maiden.

What have they done? Replaced the bass player who left with another one, and taken 4 of the 5 former members of the 1981-2006 classic line ups and toured. KERFUCKINGCHING!

That distant sound over there? That's the atom bomb of cash registers ringing over at We-Don't-Cash-In-Hooky-Towers.

thanks 2 users thanked markreed for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/08/2012(UTC), Pyrtwist on 28/08/2012(UTC)
Cranelane  
#38 Posted : 27 August 2012 06:41:09(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
UpDownTurnAround wrote:
the new album will be good and will obviously sound a lot like bad lt

Oxymoron alert! Black eye

Seriously though, any new album would need to be a bit stronger than NCAT and with the
good atmosphere in the NO camp nowadays it may well be...

thanks 2 users thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
Eimi on 27/08/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 28/08/2012(UTC)
Geri  
#39 Posted : 27 August 2012 07:01:01(UTC)
Geri

Woman

markreed wrote:

I'd be careful accusing them of cashing in on the name.

They haven't done a 4 year "Bernard Sumner sings the many happy moods of Joy Division tour."

They haven't sold bits of ground up car park, yellow vinyl 10"s, replica instruments, or books clad in the tears of unicorns.

They haven't released EP's of cover versions of old songs sung by the ex-singer of Iron Maiden.

What have they done? Replaced the bass player who left with another one, and taken 4 of the 5 former members of the 1981-2006 classic line ups and toured. KERFUCKINGCHING!

That distant sound over there? That's the atom bomb of cash registers ringing over at We-Don't-Cash-In-Hooky-Towers.

sums it up nicely Nod
thanks 2 users thanked Geri for this useful post.
Eimi on 27/08/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 28/08/2012(UTC)