logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#76 Posted : 24 January 2023 15:34:56(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Good spot!

Here’s the archived webpage which gives a few details about it (not who the interviewer is though, sadly):

https://web.archive.org/.../reception/neworder.html
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 25/01/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#77 Posted : 24 January 2023 16:16:42(UTC)
perspexorange

Been doing some digging and checked the copies I have of the old Ceremony mailing list.

It talks about the Jo Whiley interview on Friday 13/11/98 on it and lists a few things that aren’t featured in the interview posted to YouTube (inc. playing tracks from Reading ‘98). So we know it’s not the Whiley interview from the radio broadcast.

However, there is this (posted to the mailing list on 13/11/98):

“Just noticed that the Beeb site has Bernard answering some quesions on
the Jo Whiley show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rad...reception/reception.html

This appears to be the interview in question. So this interview is likely connected to the Whiley interview.

I reckon then, that Bernard came into the studio to be interviewed by Jo Whiley. Then, perhaps, one of the show’s researchers did a follow up interview with him at the same time, to answer some fan questions and to post to the BBC website. Stuff that wasn’t covered on the main show.

Unless that interviewer is actually Whiley (it really doesn’t sound like her).
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2023(UTC)
Debaser  
#78 Posted : 24 January 2023 16:50:38(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2982 time(s) in 2067 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Like No Other Go to Quoted Post
If it was the BBC I thought it might be Janice Long at first but now I'm thinking Mary Ann Hobbs who had an evening show around that time.

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

I reckon then, that Bernard came into the studio to be interviewed by Jo Whiley. Then, perhaps, one of the show’s researchers did a follow up interview with him at the same time, to answer some fan questions and to post to the BBC website. Stuff that wasn’t covered on the main show.

Unless that interviewer is actually Whiley (it really doesn’t sound like her).

Mary Ann Hobbs is from Sheffiled and Janice Long was from Liverpool. This interviewer has a southern English accent doesn't she? Bernard sounds a bit wierd here too, almost as though this is from a cassette tape that's playing a bit too fast. If I were to guess at anyone I would say Annie Nightingale, but I'm not confident in that guess.

It's probably someone obscure. I mean, does anyone remember Ro Newton from Whistle Test? Thought not, but she was a presenter on there. I don't think this is Ro Newton either though. If someone ever comes up with the answer, I suspect there will be a collective shrug and a "who??" like you get at football when an unknown sub gets announced for the opposition around the 70 minute mark.

As for the BBC website, It only started in December 1997. I'd be surprised if they were uploading audio interviews with Bernard Sumner within a year of launch...

Edited by user 24 January 2023 17:01:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#79 Posted : 25 January 2023 00:20:02(UTC)
perspexorange

I agree that this is definitely not Janice Long or Mary Ann Hobbs. Not sure about Annie Nightingale, as I’m fairly unfamiliar with her voice.

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

As for the BBC website, It only started in December 1997. I'd be surprised if they were uploading audio interviews with Bernard Sumner within a year of launch...

According to the internet archive of that webpage, it says that the interview was available to listen to (via RealPlayer, so may have been streamable, rather than for download):

“To hear Bernard's answers along with the full Website interview, you'll need a Realplayer.”

Fotz  
#80 Posted : 25 January 2023 05:19:02(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3607 time(s) in 2612 post(s)
Yes, i agree with Debaser, the lady does have a vaguely similar voice to Annie Nightingale.However, i'd bet my house that it is definitely NOT her. I am quite familiar with Annie Nightingale's voice as i used to listen to her Radio 1 show a lot back in the 80s.The interviewer simply has that same regional tone as Annie. I couldn't say what that region is exactly other than it's southern. It's obviously not northern. But yeah, if we do ever solve who it is it'll be a big "Who?" and a shrug.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Mr Discography  
#81 Posted : 25 January 2023 05:35:44(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
Not Miranda Sawyer is it?
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#82 Posted : 25 January 2023 05:55:58(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post
Not Miranda Sawyer is it?

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

It kind of sounds a bit like either Pip Dann (MTV Europe VJ, who's actually a New Zealander but doesn't have that strong an accent) or Sunie Fletcher (used to review for Record Mirror, but also did some work on 1980s satellite TV - Rox Box etc.).
I'm not convinced it's either of them though.

As D & F say, it's probably someone fairly unknown. Possibly either a music journalist that doesn't normally present or a researcher/secondary presenter on Jo Whiley's show (similar to someone on Steve Wright's posse kind of thing).
Debaser  
#83 Posted : 25 January 2023 06:37:09(UTC)
Debaser

I don't think it's Miranda either because she's from Wilmslow near Manchester and has a mild northern accent... Thanks for the guess though, Mr Discog.

According to the internet archive of that webpage, it says that the interview was available to listen to (via RealPlayer, so may have been streamable, rather than for download):

“To hear Bernard's answers along with the full Website interview, you'll need a Realplayer.”

Well I stand corrected! I vaguely remember "you'll need RealPlayer" on t'internet from about 20 years ago.

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
...a vaguely similar voice to Annie Nightingale.However, i'd bet my house that it is definitely NOT her. I am quite familiar with Annie Nightingale's voice as i used to listen to her Radio 1 show a lot back in the 80s...

She still has a weekend show on BBC R1 playing dance tunes at crazy O'clock in the morning (link). I sometimes download it on to the Sounds app. Her speech sounds like she may have false teeth trouble; she seems to struggle with her S's and T's. Did she sound like that back in the 80s? I do remember her (Sunday nights after the Top 40) but I woulld usually only hear a few minutes of her show.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotz  
#84 Posted : 25 January 2023 07:49:23(UTC)
Fotz

^ I remember she still had a late night Radio 1 show in the early 2000s but was gobsmacked to learn a year or two back she still has. She ain't giving up spinning them tunes. Yes i've heard her talk these days and i'd hazard she has false teeth. She didn't talk like that back in the 80s.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2023(UTC), Debaser on 25/01/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#85 Posted : 25 January 2023 10:35:44(UTC)
Fotz

Anybody have any further thoughts as to who the interviewer might be? Her voice does sound familiar.

I'm wondering if it was an interview for a magazine and this is just the interviewer's tape for reference purposes.

Listened again and i'm leaning towards that theory, yep.The audio quality isn't great or completely clear but i don't think that's anything to do with the quality of the mp3 file. I get the impression the lady recorded it on her dictaphone or something. It's not a recording that sounds clear enough for radio.
perspexorange  
#86 Posted : 28 February 2023 10:06:26(UTC)
perspexorange

First was a TV memory from about 83 or 84. A Dutch TV show had Bernard and Hooky on. The two of them did a crappy version of BM and I think, another track.
This was then shown on UK TV in a couple of separate clips/chunks ("We have footage from Holland"). I think it may have been shown on a late night edition of C4's The Tube. The Tube was usually on around dinner time on a Friday evening. But I remember them doing a late night epsiode so that they could show the "banned" Relax video by Frankie. And they may have done more than one late night episode. Anyone remember this two-man version of NO doing something for Dutch TV?

Hmmm. I seem to have found this (thanks to the same person who provided me with the OGWT footage on the other thread).

Or, at least, I think I have. I'll need to get it sent to Debaser for confirmation.

Managed to get both the 1983 and 1984 'midsummer' specials of The Tube and I think it's on the 1983 programme, broadcast on 24/06/83. This does feature clips from the 'Countdown' programme.

It does seem to follow Debaser's description. It is from 'Dutch TV' and is introduced in that way, by the same presenter that hosted 'Countdown'. It is 'Blue Monday', and although Steve & Gillian do appear, they are 'blink, and you'll miss them'. You can see their fingers on keyboards throughout and then, right at the very end, they appear on screen for a second.
Bernard and Hooky are featured much more prominently.

The clip is only about a minute long.

Incidentally, I actually had this clip on an old video tape but didn't know where it was from. I had always assumed it was from a later 'highlights show' of Countdown, shown a few weeks after the original performance.
Even if it isn't the same programme Debaser mentions, at least I know that my clip is from 'The Tube'.

Also, interestingly, this is taken from an alternate take of Blue Monday; not the main one or the one that was on the Reelin In The Years YouTube channel. I think the Countdown YouTube channel released this third take in its entirety a year or so ago.

Just gone through the 1984 midsummer special and can't see anything New Ordery in it.

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Debaser on 28/02/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/03/2023(UTC)
Debaser  
#87 Posted : 28 February 2023 10:25:05(UTC)
Debaser

It does seem to follow Debaser's description. It is from 'Dutch TV' and is introduced in that way, by the same presenter that hosted 'Countdown'. It is 'Blue Monday', and although Steve & Gillian do appear, they are 'blink, and you'll miss them'. You can see their fingers on keyboards throughout and then, right at the very end, they appear on screen for a second.
Bernard and Hooky are featured much more prominently.

The clip is only about a minute long.

Incidentally, I actually had this clip on an old video tape but didn't know where it was from. I had always assumed it was from a later 'highlights show' of Countdown, shown a few weeks after the original performance.
Even if it isn't the same programme Debaser mentions, at least I know that my clip is from 'The Tube'.

Also, interestingly, this is taken from an alternate take of Blue Monday; not the main one or the one that was on the Reelin In The Years YouTube channel. I think the Countdown YouTube channel released this third take in its entirety a year or so ago.

Just gone through the 1984 midsummer special and can't see anything New Ordery in it.

Yep. 11 year old me must have only registered Bernard & Hook from that short clip. This is the one. Not a 2 man NO after all. My bad!

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/03/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#88 Posted : 28 February 2023 11:32:22(UTC)
perspexorange

Yep. 11 year old me must have only registered Bernard & Hook from that short clip. This is the one. Not a 2 man NO after all. My bad!

I'm just glad the mystery is solved. Smile
perspexorange  
#89 Posted : 28 February 2023 11:34:52(UTC)
perspexorange

I'm just glad the mystery is solved. Smile

The funny thing is, as I already had the clip in my archives (but didn't know what it was), in theory, we called've solved this ages ago. Big Grin
Fotz  
#90 Posted : 19 July 2023 13:52:12(UTC)
Fotz

Going back to the topic earlier in this thread about who the lady is interviewing Bernard in the 90s and if it was Jo Whiley or someone else.I'd concluded previously that it wasn't her despite the mp3 i obtained some years ago labelled that it was. Anyway, i've been listening to a podcast series on BBC Sounds recently about Britpop and it features some old mid 90s Radio 1 clips of Jo Whiley talking and back then it seems her voice was quite different to what is these days and almost like the unknown lady in the 90s Bernard interview. So maybe it was in fact her afterall. Coupled with the sound quality being slightly mudddy on that old 90s Bernard interview.

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/07/2023(UTC)