logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Debaser  
#51 Posted : 20 January 2022 05:11:02(UTC)
Debaser

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2999 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
Following the Countdown footage in NO Spotting (Did Countdown change its name from/to Veronica's Countdown?)...I'm reminded of a couple of NO memories from... when I was a very small boy.

First was a TV memory from about 83 or 84. A Dutch TV show had Bernard and Hooky on. The two of them did a crappy version of BM and I think, another track.
This was then shown on UK TV in a couple of separate clips/chunks ("We have footage from Holland"). I think it may have been shown on a late night edition of C4's The Tube. The Tube was usually on around dinner time on a Friday evening. But I remember them doing a late night epsiode so that they could show the "banned" Relax video by Frankie. And they may have done more than one late night episode. Anyone remember this two-man version of NO doing something for Dutch TV?

The other is a radio memory. BBC R1 I reckon. A documentary thing which I think was presented by Janice Long (RIP) in either the late 80's or early 90s. I think I remember Long talking about the name change from JD to NO (with political undertones) and the use of "fascist imagery" created by Saville and that it was "too much" for some people. I also seem to remember a lot of Hooky being used as part of the interview snippets that peppered the documentary. Even back then Hooky seemed to be the 'talky' one.

NO TV performances and radio documentaries seemed so rare to me back then that they're kinda the only ones I remember (along wth BM on TOTPs). So I don't think my mind invented this stuff. Anyone?..
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange on 20/01/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2022(UTC)
perspexorange  
#52 Posted : 20 January 2022 06:07:03(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Following the Countdown footage in NO Spotting (Did Countdown change its name from/to Veronica's Countdown?)...

I've never fully got to the bottom of this.
As far as I know, 'Countdown' was hosted on a TV channel which was part of the 'Veronica' TV/radio network in the Netherlands.

It may well have been called 'Veronica's Countdown' at some point in time (maybe they shortened the name over time) or it could just be a nickname, i.e 'Countdown' on 'Veronica' effectively.

I've recently got hold of the complete programme from 05/06/83 (the Blue Monday appearance) and the title credits state just 'Countdown'. However, the host introduces it by saying something along the lines of (in Dutch) "Welcome to 'Countdown', pop music by 'Veronica' on TV". Something like that, anyway.

...a radio memory. BBC R1 I reckon. A documentary thing which I think was presented by Janice Long (RIP) in either the late 80's or early 90s. I think I remember Long talking about the name change from JD to NO (with political undertones) and the use of "fascist imagery" created by Saville and that it was "too much" for some people. I also seem to remember a lot of Hooky being used as part of the interview snippets that peppered the documentary. Even back then Hooky seemed to be the 'talky' one.

I think this is the two-part radio documentary that was broadcast in 1988 called 'Substance'. There were two parts to this called 'I Remember When We Were Young' (the Joy Division years) and 'Now That We've Grown Up Together' (the New Order years).
It was narrated by Janice Long and broadcast on 03/03/88 and 05/03/88 respectively.

Here are the radio listings from the (excellent) BBC Genome site:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co...0f9f4e1ea2f6cb087088a059
https://genome.ch.bbc.co...349c4f14953242dddc20f353

There's discussion of the new name and fascist imagery in part 2, around the 14-15 minute mark. If you want to have a listen, just let me know and I'll wing over a copy.

Listening to it just now, this is definitely the interview you're talking about; "too much for some people", Saville discussing imagery etc.

Anyone remember this two-man version of NO doing something for Dutch TV?

Wow! No. Never heard of this at all!
Really interesting.
How on Earth were they able to do this (it needed a fair amount of faffing around with various synths / discs etc.) and, more to the point, why weren't S&G involved? Very strange indeed.
I'm really interested in this, as this has completely passed me by. Any other memories?

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Debaser on 20/01/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2022(UTC)
perspexorange  
#53 Posted : 20 January 2022 06:16:56(UTC)
perspexorange

did a crappy version of BM and I think, another track.

Thinking about it, they did do 'Blue Monday' plus another track (Age Of Consent) on another TV programme back in the day:

'Switch' on Channel 4 on 01/04/83.

I'm sure you know about this already and it probably isn't the same, but thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware.
I seem to think that 'Switch' was on late at night and, if I remember correctly, had some connection to The Tube (same producers maybe).

However, as you probably know, this was a 'full band' performance. Not just Bernard and Hooky.

Here it is:

Debaser on 20/01/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2022(UTC)
Debaser  
#54 Posted : 20 January 2022 07:15:28(UTC)
Debaser

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

As far as I know, 'Countdown' was hosted on a TV channel which was part of the 'Veronica' TV/radio network in the Netherlands...

...I've recently got hold of the complete programme from 05/06/83 (the Blue Monday appearance) ... the host introduces it by saying something along the lines of (in Dutch) "Welcome to 'Countdown', pop music by 'Veronica' on TV". Something like that, anyway.

Ok, ta. Certainly if you google Veronica's Countdown you get lots of YT suggestions like, Bowie on Veronica's Countdown 1987, U2 on Veronica's Countdown 1982 etc...

I think this is the two-part radio documentary that was broadcast in 1988 called 'Substance'. There were two parts to this called 'I Remember When We Were Young' (the Joy Division years) and 'Now That We've Grown Up Together' (the New Order years).
It was narrated by Janice Long and broadcast on 03/03/88 and 05/03/88 respectively.

Here are the radio listings from the (excellent) BBC Genome site:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co...0f9f4e1ea2f6cb087088a059
https://genome.ch.bbc.co...349c4f14953242dddc20f353

There's discussion of the new name and fascist imagery in part 2, around the 14-15 minute mark. If you want to have a listen, just let me know and I'll wing over a copy.

Listening to it just now, this is definitely the interview you're talking about; "too much for some people", Saville discussing imagery etc.

Bingo! I wasn't sure if it had been covered by your extensive lists. In fact I was going to mention that I thought it was on a Saturday afternoon, and so it was! Maybe my memory isn't too bad after all! If I had more hard-drive room I'd seek a copy from you for nostalgic reasons. Maybe someone needs to put these things on YouTube or Soundcloud? (not me though, I couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery!)

Anyone remember this two-man version of NO doing something for Dutch TV?

Wow! No. Never heard of this at all!
Really interesting.
How on Earth were they able to do this (it needed a fair amount of faffing around with various synths / discs etc.) and, more to the point, why weren't S&G involved? Very strange indeed.
I'm really interested in this, as this has completely passed me by. Any other memories?

Well I did say it was a crappy version of BM! I don't think it was a 7 minute one either. I remember telling a school friend about it and that the "guitar guy" looked a bit tough in his biker jacket. So Hooky must have been wearing the leather jacket. I don't think they were on a stage, just a studio floor, mostly in darkness apart from Barney and Hooky in close proximity under lights, surrounded by lots of synths. Possibly no studio audience.

Thinking about it, they did do 'Blue Monday' plus another track (Age Of Consent) on another TV programme back in the day:

'Switch' on Channel 4 on 01/04/83.

I'm sure you know about this already and it probably isn't the same, but thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware.
I seem to think that 'Switch' was on late at night and, if I remember correctly, had some connection to The Tube (same producers maybe).

However, as you probably know, this was a 'full band' performance. Not just Bernard and Hooky.

Hmm, I'd forgotten about the existence of Switch. Not sure if I saw that performance at the time. But no leather jacket for Hooky and eh 'too much' S&G for it to be the performance I'm thinking of. Also I'm pretty sure it was Dutch/European. In fact the first time the Countdown footage appeared on YT I kinda expected it to be the Barney/Hooky thing, but it wasn't.

Any other memories?

Cringing at Baywatch Regret so hard I thought my insides were gonna curdle and shit themselves out. Does that count?
(Also it's not proper TOTPs if they're on a beach in California!)
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2022(UTC)
Fotz  
#55 Posted : 20 January 2022 08:01:48(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3615 time(s) in 2616 post(s)
^ Never heard of Barney and Hooky just the two of them doing BM live on some tv show.Doesn't ring any bells .Not to say it never happened but i never heard of it.

I always think of Countdown as Veronica's Countdown because old Video and cassette lists for NO back in the day listed it as Veronica's Countdown.

I remember the 2 part Radio 1 thing called Substance but not heard it for years.It was the late great Janice Long who presented (RIP) ? All i remember is one part was on a Saturday early afternoon.

I vaguely remember Switch when it was on tv but for some reason i never watched it, only that i was aware it was a music show that was on Fridays (teatime slot?) when The Tube was off air.I always watched The Tube but i never watched Switch.Odd eh? So i never saw NO's performance on it until i got hold of a VHS tape of it from a work colleague a couple of years later

Edited by user 20 January 2022 08:06:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#56 Posted : 20 January 2022 08:10:41(UTC)
perspexorange

Well I did say it was a crappy version of BM! I don't think it was a 7 minute one either. I remember telling a school friend about it and that the "guitar guy" looked a bit tough in his biker jacket. So Hooky must have been wearing the leather jacket. I don't think they were on a stage, just a studio floor, mostly in darkness apart from Barney and Hooky in close proximity under lights, surrounded by lots of synths. Possibly no studio audience.

...I'm pretty sure it was Dutch/European. In fact the first time the Countdown footage appeared on YT I kinda expected it to be the Barney/Hooky thing, but it wasn't.

i'm really intrigued by this now.
Gonna do some checking around, but this is completely unknown to me (which is, if I do say so myself, fairly incredibly, given my penchant for anally-retentive JD/NO facts Big Grin ).
Wow! I wanna see this now.

I will say though that, every now and again, something does turn up that I'm unaware of and these are mostly from outside of the UK.
One thing I've been after for years(!) is an interview with Bernard, Hooky and Rob at a charity football match that was on a programme called 'Villa Tempo' on Belgian TV on 27/01/86.
It's proved pretty elusive (I did get an audio only version of it last year, but it's not really the same - I really want to see the three of them playing footy!).

Given that the 'Blue Monday' performance you mention is live, and given that it's a bit of a 'car crash' of a performance, it seems incredible that this footage hasn't appeared on YouTube yet.
Fingers crossed that it soon does.

Cringing at Baywatch Regret so hard I thought my insides were gonna curdle and shit themselves out. Does that count?
(Also it's not proper TOTPs if they're on a beach in California!)

HaHa. Yeah. I know what you mean, although I did kind of love that performance.
I always used to find some of Steve's interviews fairly embarrassing, with him wittering on about pizzas or something similarly inane Now I find them endearing when watching back.

One other cringeworthy interview that springs to mind is that Bernard/Hooky interview from 'Les Enfants du Rock' where the former is basically really pissed off and completely switched off from the conversation. He looked like he was going to hit the interviewer... once he'd got over his hangover.

I recently found an interview from New Zealand TV where the moronic interviewer pretty much accuses them of being Nazis and juxtaposed that with being the only white act on a black label (Qwest, presumably). Very crass and pretty painful to watch. Hooky and Steve (mainly the former) had the good grace to not rise to the obvious baiting.

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz  
#57 Posted : 20 January 2022 08:18:28(UTC)
Fotz

^ Yes, things do turn up occasionally that are a surprises to lifelong fans.It wasn't until the mid 2000s that i beccame aware of that German tv show when they performed Thieves Like Us on the side of a lorry.I'd never heard of it let alone see it before then.Same thing with Regret on some Dutch tv show in 1993.I was completely oblivious to its existence until you sent me your list and then the clip a a few years back, perspex.
perspexorange  
#58 Posted : 20 January 2022 08:29:32(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
It wasn't until the mid 2000s that i beccame aware of that German tv show when they performed Thieves Like Us on the side of a lorry.I'd never heard of it let alone see it before then.

Yeah. Me too. That had completely passed me by until around the same time as you. 'Musik Convoy' on 16/04/84.
I don't remember it being traded amongst fans back in the 80s and 90s (else I'd have had a copy), so only really hit 'trading circles' around the time of YouTube etc. I've got a number of 'trade lists' from back in the day and I don't think any of them list it.

Same thing with Regret on some Dutch tv show in 1993.I was completely oblivious to its existence until you sent me your list and then the clip a a few years back, perspex.

Yep - that was also 'Countdown' (27/04/93). Their only other appearance on that programme, as far as I know (although they definitely repeated a clip of 'Blue Monday' on at least one other show).
perspexorange  
#59 Posted : 20 January 2022 09:33:29(UTC)
perspexorange

I remember telling a school friend about it and that the "guitar guy" looked a bit tough in his biker jacket. So Hooky must have been wearing the leather jacket. I don't think they were on a stage, just a studio floor, mostly in darkness apart from Barney and Hooky in close proximity under lights, surrounded by lots of synths. Possibly no studio audience.

By your description, I'm just reminded of this performance, also from Dutch / Belgian TV ('Pop Elektron', 25/05/84):

Hooky in leather jacket;
Mostly in darkness;
Studio floor;
No studio audience etc.

I know this is a performance of 'Thieves Like Us', not 'Blue Monday', but just wondered whether they actually recorded a version of Blue Monday too, but this either wasn't shown on that programme or just hasn't leaked to the internet yet. Maybe 'The Tube' got hold of both tracks and showed both of them at some point. Just a thought.

It doesn't really explain why The Other Two wouldn't be present for 'Blue Monday' though.

It certainly sounds like a completely separate performance.
Man, I really want to see this now.

Edited by user 20 January 2022 09:34:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Andy  
#60 Posted : 20 January 2022 10:39:01(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
Following the Countdown footage in NO Spotting (Did Countdown change its name from/to Veronica's Countdown?)...I'm reminded of a couple of NO memories from... when I was a very small boy.

First was a TV memory from about 83 or 84. A Dutch TV show had Bernard and Hooky on. The two of them did a crappy version of BM and I think, another track.
This was then shown on UK TV in a couple of separate clips/chunks ("We have footage from Holland"). I think it may have been shown on a late night edition of C4's The Tube. The Tube was usually on around dinner time on a Friday evening. But I remember them doing a late night epsiode so that they could show the "banned" Relax video by Frankie. And they may have done more than one late night episode. Anyone remember this two-man version of NO doing something for Dutch TV?

The other is a radio memory. BBC R1 I reckon. A documentary thing which I think was presented by Janice Long (RIP) in either the late 80's or early 90s. I think I remember Long talking about the name change from JD to NO (with political undertones) and the use of "fascist imagery" created by Saville and that it was "too much" for some people. I also seem to remember a lot of Hooky being used as part of the interview snippets that peppered the documentary. Even back then Hooky seemed to be the 'talky' one.

NO TV performances and radio documentaries seemed so rare to me back then that they're kinda the only ones I remember (along wth BM on TOTPs). So I don't think my mind invented this stuff. Anyone?..

Considering that Blue Monday required a change of floppy discs during the song back then, it's unlikely a two man version would be possible. This is in addition to the synth bits The Other Two would be performing. Unless someone offstage was doing these things (they weren't miming back then), I say it's more likely the cameras were merely focusing on Bernard and Hooky, and that's what stayed in your memory.

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Debaser  
#61 Posted : 20 January 2022 13:01:36(UTC)
Debaser

Hooky in leather jacket;
Mostly in darkness;
Studio floor;
No studio audience etc.

Good effort. Just erase the other two (!) and you might have me convinced.

Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

Considering that Blue Monday required a change of floppy discs during the song back then, it's unlikely a two man version would be possible. This is in addition to the synth bits The Other Two would be performing. Unless someone offstage was doing these things (they weren't miming back then), I say it's more likely the cameras were merely focusing on Bernard and Hooky, and that's what stayed in your memory.

The bit I'm sure of is that the presenter said they had two members of the band in to perform - and it wasn't S&G (cos one of the performers was the singer and the other one had a bass guitar, a beard and a leather jacket)
If I've got something wrong here it could be the track. I'm not saying I have got the track wrong, but I distinctly remember the (European/Dutch) presenter telling us which members of NO were there to perform. Maybe they only performed BM up to the point where you have to change the floppy. Also it wasn't a live broadcast. Could they have recorded two takes: pre and post floppy change?

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#62 Posted : 20 January 2022 13:57:21(UTC)
perspexorange

The bit I'm sure of is that the presenter said they had two members of the band in to perform - and it wasn't S&G (cos one of the performers was the singer and the other one had a bass guitar, a beard and a leather jacket)

Really, really interesting.

Maybe they only performed BM up to the point where you have to change the floppy. Also it wasn't a live broadcast. Could they have recorded two takes: pre and post floppy change?

I don’t know. But my new mission in life is to find out exactly what this is.
It sounds bloody awesome!
perspexorange  
#63 Posted : 21 January 2022 12:04:05(UTC)
perspexorange

I've done some asking around and it's been suggested to me that there was a Dutch clip shown on an episode of 'The Tube'.
The episode in question was the 'A Midsummer Night's Tube' programme from 24/06/83, which was a four-hour marathon programme. This was presumably (at least partially) broadcast later than the usual slot, which is line with your memory, Debaser.

However, it's also been suggested that this was the 'Countdown' clip.

Sadly, I can't find the episode online. I've asked the guy who's posted a load of 'Tube' episodes to YouTube if he could post this, but no response as yet.

It might not be the same thing as what you've mentioned but, at the very least, it would be good for you to see it (including how the clip was introduced etc.) and rule it out once and for all.

Debaser  
#64 Posted : 21 January 2022 14:16:55(UTC)
Debaser

I've done some asking around and it's been suggested to me that there was a Dutch clip shown on an episode of 'The Tube'.
The episode in question was the 'A Midsummer Night's Tube' programme from 24/06/83, which was a four-hour marathon programme. This was presumably (at least partially) broadcast later than the usual slot, which is line with your memory, Debaser.

Sounds plausible.

I've asked the guy who's posted a load of 'Tube' episodes to YouTube if he could post this, but no response as yet.

You think/hope he might have stuff on tape or hard drive that's never been on YT?

It might not be the same thing as what you've mentioned but, at the very least, it would be good for you to see it (including how the clip was introduced etc.) and rule it out once and for all.

Sure! Hit me!

BTW You know the way we've seen one quarter of NO do The Happy One, but it probably isn't as good as all 4 quarters of NO? May I also suggest that half of NO also isn't as good as a whole NO? If this clip does turn up, I don't want you to get too excited...

Oh re 'A Midsummer Night's Tube', there is this choppy trailer for June 1984. And at 2:24 they mention Frankie's Relax (at 1am cos it's so naughty!). No mention of NO in the trailer (Is that Lesley Ash at 1:48?).
However the Wikipedia page for The Tube does list NO as one of The Tube's "selected performers", near the bottom. Do we have any hive-mind knowledge of NO performing on The Tube? (oh yeah we do in '86)
Oh also Tony Wilson is mentioned for the 2006 radio revival. If NO had played live/session on there we'd know wouldn't we?
The Wikipedia page also says "In July 2008 ITN (rights holder for The Tube) signed a deal with MUZU TV to make The Tube available online". Read

Edited by user 21 January 2022 14:35:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange on 21/01/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2022(UTC)
perspexorange  
#65 Posted : 21 January 2022 15:02:28(UTC)
perspexorange

You think/hope he might have stuff on tape or hard drive that's never been on YT?

Well he must have access to the Channel 4 archive, as the episodes he’s posted have definitely come from archives rather than off-air broadcasts (based on the time clocks etc.).
He’s posted all the regular episodes (or pretty much anyway) sequentially by season. There’s a possibility he wasn’t aware of the one-off ‘specials’. Hopefully, if he sees my comment, he might try and dig out the episode from the archive. If he still has access, of course.

Oh re 'A Midsummer Night's Tube', there is this choppy trailer for June 1984.

Think there were Midsummer editions in both 1983 and 1984.
I think I saw the opening for the ‘83 edition online earlier today and, again, they don’t list New Order as being on it. However, as it was 4 hours of stuff, I guess they probably couldn’t list everything. Maybe they only listed the stuff recorded by ‘The Tube’ and didn’t really promote the additional footage (from Dutch TV).

Who knows, eh? All speculation at this point. If I manage to find a copy, I’ll send you a link.

Fotz  
#66 Posted : 22 January 2022 02:58:37(UTC)
Fotz

Think there were Midsummer editions in both 1983 and 1984.

There was also one in 1986.I distinctly remember because The Smiths played live on it and i remember watching them perform Panic .First time i heard that song and Morrissey seemed to repeat "Hang the DJ!" over and over forever.So much so that my mum, bless her, said "Does that man ever sing anything else than hang the DJ?" .Not that this helps in this search for the Barney and Hooky only performance of BM.

perspexorange  
#67 Posted : 22 January 2022 03:20:22(UTC)
perspexorange

Ah. I didn't know that, Fotz.

...Actually that guy has posted it. It's an almost five-hour 'EuroPop' special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enH12_39kr4 (The Smiths on at the 33min mark)

And, your mum was right - he really doesn't like that DJ!

Interestingly, the band was a five-piece at the time. I'm guessing that's Craig Gannon, with them (I'm not very familiar with the guy).
My word, though - they were pretty wonderful, weren't they? Lovely version of TIALTNGO. Marr is a god.

Incidentally, considering this YouTuber is not averse to posting the 4+hour 'Tube' specials, there's a reasonable chance he might post the 'Midsummer' specials at some point.

Fotz on 22/01/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2022(UTC)
Fotz  
#68 Posted : 22 January 2022 03:35:27(UTC)
Fotz

Ah. I didn't know that, Fotz.

...Actually that guy has posted it. It's an almost five-hour 'EuroPop' special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enH12_39kr4 (The Smiths on at the 33min mark)

And, your mum was right - he really doesn't like that DJ!

Interestingly, the band was a five-piece at the time. I'm guessing that's Craig Gannon, with them (I'm not very familiar with the guy).
My word, though - they were pretty wonderful, weren't they? Lovely version of TIALTNGO. Marr is a god.

Oh the 86 one was more a "Euro Tube" thing , rather than a midsummers ?

There was a bit of rivalry between The Smiths and New Order in the 80s, would it be fair to say? I was a bit torn with it all because i did love a lot of The Smiths stuff.I bought their Queen Is Dead album upon release in summer 86 and absolutely played it to death for months.All a long time ago now but Morrissey was a massive, massive icon to a lot of people back in the day.If he was on the front cover of NME you just had to buy it to see what he had to say.Yes i recall Craig Gannon being in the band for a while, think as a second guitarist.I never saw The Smiths live but I went to a small festival in Perry Park, Birmingham in summer 2019 which included on the bill Johnny Marr (along with The Coral and Doves) and he played a lot of Smiths classics including There Is A Light. He was bloody good.

Edited by user 22 January 2022 03:42:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#69 Posted : 22 January 2022 06:04:10(UTC)
perspexorange

When I was a teen in the 80s, I hated The Smiths (which seems like heresy to me, now).
I was just put off by Morrissey being contrary and generally being a bit of a dick. I just couldn't get past that.

I was, in a word, foolish.

It wasn't until 'Electronic' that I decided to give them another try and was then blown away.
My focus was originally on Marr's music, and tried to just 'go along with' Moz's singing and lyrics.
Then, before I knew it, I was loving everything about them.

I haven't really looked back since and think they were a remarkable band. So many incredible songs.

I've also learned since then to separate art from artist. Which is just as well, considering Moz's current outlook on things.
Fotz  
#70 Posted : 22 January 2022 07:20:16(UTC)
Fotz

I've also learned since then to separate art from artist. Which is just as well, considering Moz's current outlook on things.

hmm... i think i struggle at times separating the art from the artist.I can still listen to The Smiths but i am, unfortunately, conscious when doing so about what an arse Morrissey is these days.But what if an artist did an unspeakable thing like being found guilty of murder or something? Could i still listen to their music then? It'd be a tough one i'm sure.Not saying Morrissey is going to go out and murder anyone, obvs! I mean who on earth these days owns or listens to Gary Glitter's music??

I read Morrissey's autobiography when it was published.Enjoyed it , or most of it.I think it was after he wrote it that he started becoming an arse. Billy Bragg said of Morrissey a while back "There was a light but now it's gone out".

Edited by user 22 January 2022 07:23:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#71 Posted : 22 January 2022 17:04:18(UTC)
perspexorange

Well, I’ve said for a number of years, I can separate art from artist, but if I was a lostprophets fan, I think I’d struggle.

However shit Morrissey is these days, he’s not Ian Watkins.
perspexorange  
#72 Posted : 16 February 2022 04:17:35(UTC)
perspexorange

Looks like The Tube shows from that channel mentioned above have disappeared. There was no response by the owner regarding that 'Midsummer' special eitherr.
Shame.

As my 'wants' are back on page 2, I thought I'd bump 'em again here:

xx/03/1983 - 'The Jeff Cooper Show', BBC Radio Manchester, 03/83 (band introduce the first play of 'Blue Monday')
10/05/1985 - 'Round Table', BBC Radio 1, 10/05/85 (TPK review) (6 minutes)
17/05/1985 - Interview - Powerhouse, Melbourne soundcheck, 17/05/85 (Gilbert) (30 minutes)
17/05/1985 - Telephone Interview - Powerhouse, Melbourne soundcheck, 17/05/85 (Gilbert) (5 minutes)
xx/xx/1986 - Feature, Radio Scorpio, 1986 (4 x 60 minute episodes)
xx/07/1986 - Interview, Manchester Radio, 07/86 (5 minutes)
12/02/1987 - Auckland Radio, 12/02/87 (Hook)
07/08/1987 - 'Jed The Fish', KROQ-FM, Pasadena, 07/08/87 (Hook)
xx/08/1987 - WFNX Boston, 08/87 (Hague)
13/08/1987 - Capital Radio, 13/04/87 (Morris & Gilbert)
23/01/1989 - French Radio, 23/01/89 (15 minutes)
21/03/1989 - 'The Mark Findlay Show', Aberdeen Radio, 21/03/89 (Hook)

18/05/1990 - 'Joy Division Special', DT64 (East Germany), 18/05/90 (120 minutes)
21/05/1990 - 'BBC Look North', 21/05/90 (5 minutes)
17/06/1990 - 'The Bill Shaw Show', NorthSound Radio, Aberdeen, 17/06/90 (Hook) (***)
09/09/1991 - 'Newsbeat', BBC Radio 1, 09/09/91 (Morris)
xx/11/1991 - BBC Radio 1 (Morris & Gilbert), 11/91 (2 minutes)
xx/11/1991 - 'Hit The North', BBC Radio 5, 11/91 (Morris & Gilbert)
xx/12/1991 - 'Mark Goodier', BBC Radio 1, 12/91 (Morris & Gilbert) (***)

29/01/1992 - 'Hit The North', BBC Radio 5, 29/01/92 (Hook & Potts) (Revenge)
20/03/1992 - 'Bite The Wax', Radio Scotland, 20/03/92 (Wilson) (***)[/b]
15/09/1992 - BBC Radio 1, 15/09/92 (5 minutes)
xx/xx/1992 - 'Mark Goodier', BBC Radio 1, Late 1992 (Morris & Gilbert) (***)
06/02/1993 - 'Kaleidoscope - Manchester RIP?', BBC Radio 4, 06/02/93 (Feature on Factory)
xx/05/1993 - KROQ-FM Radio, 05/93 (1 minute)
19/05/1993 - 'Hit The North - Cook With Hook', BBC Radio 5 Live, 19/05/93 (Hook)
01/06/1993 - 'Cult Radio', BBC Radio 5 Live, 01/06/93 ("New Order re-invent The War of the Worlds")
11/08/1993 - 'Hit The North', BBC Radio 5, 11/08/93 (Hook) (Hook presenting - Oasis session)
30/12/1993 - BBC Radio 1, 30/12/93 (possibly Hook presenting) (***)
10/11/1994 - 'Soundbite', BBC Radio 1, 10/11/94 (retospective)
18/12/1994 - 'The Art of Noise - Part 3: Electric Dreams', BBC Radio 1,18/12/94 (Hook features)
18/05/1995 - 'Les Inrockuptibles' French Radio, 18/05/95 (JD biography)

(***) used to have these and really want to try and obtain again (lost my tape collection)
ROCKET MICK on 16/02/2022(UTC)
perspexorange  
#73 Posted : 15 January 2023 04:18:56(UTC)
perspexorange

Just a refresh on my 'want' list.
Any help gratefully received:

xx/03/1983 - 'The Jeff Cooper Show', BBC Radio Manchester, 03/83 (band introduce the first play of 'Blue Monday')
10/05/1985 - 'Round Table', BBC Radio 1, 10/05/85 (TPK review) (6 minutes)
17/05/1985 - Interview - Powerhouse, Melbourne soundcheck, 17/05/85 (Gilbert) (30 minutes)
17/05/1985 - Telephone Interview - Powerhouse, Melbourne soundcheck, 17/05/85 (Gilbert) (5 minutes)
xx/xx/1986 - Feature, Radio Scorpio, 1986 (4 x 60 minute episodes)
xx/07/1986 - Interview, Manchester Radio, 07/86 (5 minutes)
12/02/1987 - Auckland Radio, 12/02/87 (Hook)
07/08/1987 - 'Jed The Fish', KROQ-FM, Pasadena, 07/08/87 (Hook)
xx/08/1987 - WFNX Boston, 08/87 (Hague)
13/08/1987 - Capital Radio, 13/08/87 (Morris & Gilbert)
23/01/1989 - French Radio, 23/01/89 (15 minutes)
21/03/1989 - 'The Mark Findlay Show', Aberdeen Radio, 21/03/89 (Hook)

18/05/1990 - 'Joy Division Special', DT64 (East Germany), 18/05/90 (120 minutes)
21/05/1990 - 'BBC Look North', 21/05/90 (5 minutes)
15/06/1990 - 'UK Chart Attack' #90-24, 15-21/06/90 (Hook introducing)
17/06/1990 - 'The Bill Shaw Show', NorthSound Radio, Aberdeen, 17/06/90 (Hook) (***)
09/09/1991 - 'Newsbeat', BBC Radio 1, 09/09/91 (Morris)
xx/11/1991 - BBC Radio 1 (Morris & Gilbert), 11/91 (2 minutes)
xx/11/1991 - 'Hit The North', BBC Radio 5, 11/91 (Morris & Gilbert)
xx/12/1991 - 'Mark Goodier', BBC Radio 1, 12/91 (Morris & Gilbert) (***)

29/01/1992 - 'Hit The North', BBC Radio 5, 29/01/92 (Hook & Potts) (Revenge)
20/03/1992 - 'Bite The Wax', Radio Scotland, 20/03/92 (Wilson) (***)[/b]
15/09/1992 - BBC Radio 1, 15/09/92 (5 minutes)
xx/xx/1992 - 'Mark Goodier', BBC Radio 1, Late 1992 (Morris & Gilbert) (***)
06/02/1993 - 'Kaleidoscope - Manchester RIP?', BBC Radio 4, 06/02/93 (Feature on Factory)
09/04/1993 - 'UK Chart Attack' #93-15, 09-15/04/93 (Hook introducing)
09/04/1993 - 'Rock Over London' #93-15, 09-15/04/93 (Sumner introducing)
xx/05/1993 - KROQ-FM Radio, 05/93 (1 minute)
14/05/1993 - 'Rock Over London' #93-20, 14-20/05/93 (?, 11:54)
19/05/1993 - 'Hit The North - Cook With Hook', BBC Radio 5 Live, 19/05/93 (Hook)
01/06/1993 - 'Cult Radio', BBC Radio 5 Live, 01/06/93 ("New Order re-invent The War of the Worlds")
11/06/1993 - 'UK Chart Attack' #93-24, 11-17/06/93 (Morris introducing)
11/08/1993 - 'Hit The North', BBC Radio 5, 11/08/93 (Hook) (Hook presenting - Oasis session)
20/08/1993 - 'UK Chart Attack' #93-34, 20-26/08/93 (Hook introducing)
15/10/1993 - 'UK Chart Attack' #93-42, 15-22/10/93 (Morris & Gilbert) (The Other Two)
17/12/1993 - 'UK Chart Attack' #93-24, 17-23/12/93 (Morris introducing)
30/12/1993 - BBC Radio 1, 30/12/93 (possibly Hook presenting) (***)
16/05/1994 - 'On The Edge', Westwood One, 16/05/94 (Westwood One, Show #94-21) (?)
28/05/1994 - 'Out Of Order' #94-22, 28/05/94 (Hook)
28/10/1994 - 'Rock Over London' #94-44, 28/10-03/11/94 (Hook introducing)
10/11/1994 - 'Soundbite', BBC Radio 1, 10/11/94 (retospective)
18/12/1994 - 'The Art of Noise - Part 3: Electric Dreams', BBC Radio 1,18/12/94 (Hook features)
27/01/1995 - 'Rock Over London' #95-05, 27/01-02/02/95 (Hook introducing)
18/05/1995 - 'Les Inrockuptibles' French Radio, 18/05/95 (JD biography)

(***) used to have these and really want to try and obtain again (lost my tape collection)

Edited by user 03 February 2023 02:13:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Like No Other on 15/01/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#74 Posted : 24 January 2023 12:11:58(UTC)
perspexorange

Quoting a couple of very old Fotz posts:

Found a few mp3s of interviews i have.The 'Jo Whiley' one is definitely not Jo Whiley but it's labelled Radio 1 interview 11/98.Don't know who the lady interviewing Bernard is and i doubt it was even Radio 1.Bernard did get interviewed by Jo Whiley on Radio 1 around that time because i remember listening to it at work and she played World In Motion from Reading 98 but the mp3 i have i'm now pretty sure isn't it.The one i have is about 17 minutes.

Well i chucked on YouTube what i have (17 minutes) of a 1998 radio interview with Bernard.This is the one i had for years titled as the Jo Whiley one but i'm now sure that lady isn't Jo Whiley.

Looks like somebody else has uploaded this interview on YouTube this week:

Looks to be the same length as the one you proviously posted on your channel Fotz.

I think we established that it was definitely not Jo Whiley and doubted whether it was on Radio 1.
Anybody have any further thoughts as to who the interviewer might be? Her voice does sound familiar.

I'm wondering if it was an interview for a magazine and this is just the interviewer's tape for reference purposes. However, there's quite a few 'fan questions' read out, which might point more to a broadcast interview.

Nice mention of Hooky's 'finger licking' habit that enraged Bernard so much. :-D
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2023(UTC)
Like No Other  
#75 Posted : 24 January 2023 13:36:10(UTC)
Like No Other

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Thanks for this, quite a good interview Bernard gets quite personal in places. If it was the BBC I thought it might be Janice Long at first but now I'm thinking Mary Ann Hobbs who had an evening show around that time. Also noticed when I searched that WIM.net seem to mention it on their newsroom section, wonder if the general public questions were submitted through them? All a complete guess though really!

http://www.worldinmotion.net/newsroom/1998.htm
thanks 2 users thanked Like No Other for this useful post.
perspexorange on 24/01/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2023(UTC)