logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
No Barcode  
#76 Posted : 31 July 2015 15:57:12(UTC)
No Barcode

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Originally Posted by: the_blank_from_hell Go to Quoted Post
Is their a statement from the Hookster already?

I think it might be tempting for Peter to record his bass over the song just to show how it's done. And to piss Bernard off.
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/08/2015(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround  
#77 Posted : 31 July 2015 16:09:58(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround

Man

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Good stuff. Cool
thanks 1 user thanked UpDownTurnAround for this useful post.
Leo Order  
#78 Posted : 01 August 2015 02:48:13(UTC)
Leo Order

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have to say that I love it. Liked it from the first time I listened to it. The same feeling I had after listening to so many other great New Order tracks. The intro, the keyboards on the background, Steve's tight drumming and also the heavy Joy Division-esque bassline (I can see that playing all these amazing Hooky basslines really inspired Tom Chapman on this song, but who can blame him for that?). I also love the way Bernard has laid the vocals, I really can't remember another song where he sang like this and I just can't get enough of it. Realy looking forward to the new album!

Edited by user 01 August 2015 07:44:14(UTC)  | Reason: Got the bass player name wrong, sorry!

thanks 1 user thanked Leo Order for this useful post.
BazG  
#79 Posted : 01 August 2015 05:04:28(UTC)
BazG

Man

Was thanked: 276 time(s) in 208 post(s)
If you've got a spare £150 the CD promo is up for sale:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users thanked BazG for this useful post.
Andy on 01/08/2015(UTC), Leo Order on 01/08/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/08/2015(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 03/08/2015(UTC)
CTB  
#80 Posted : 01 August 2015 06:09:54(UTC)
CTB

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Interesting - at least that sleeve confirms that this is one of the tracks with live strings on it.

Really like the track, btw.
thanks 4 users thanked CTB for this useful post.
Andy on 01/08/2015(UTC), Leo Order on 01/08/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/08/2015(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 03/08/2015(UTC)
Andy  
#81 Posted : 01 August 2015 06:48:58(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3070 time(s) in 2143 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leo Order Go to Quoted Post
I have to say that I love it. Liked it from the first time I listened to it. The same feeling I had after listening to so many other great New Order tracks. The intro, the keyboards on the background, Steve's tight drumming and also the heavy Joy Division-esque bassline (I can see that playing all these amazing Hooky basslines really inspired Mark Chapman on this song, but who can blame him for that?). I also love the way Bernard has laid the vocals, I really can't remember another song where he sang like this and I just can't get enough of it. Realy looking forward to the new album!

The band will be thrilled to hear they've inspired Mark Chapman!

thanks 3 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
Leo Order on 01/08/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/08/2015(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 03/08/2015(UTC)
Leo Order  
#82 Posted : 01 August 2015 08:04:35(UTC)
Leo Order

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Leo Order Go to Quoted Post
I have to say that I love it. Liked it from the first time I listened to it. The same feeling I had after listening to so many other great New Order tracks. The intro, the keyboards on the background, Steve's tight drumming and also the heavy Joy Division-esque bassline (I can see that playing all these amazing Hooky basslines really inspired Mark Chapman on this song, but who can blame him for that?). I also love the way Bernard has laid the vocals, I really can't remember another song where he sang like this and I just can't get enough of it. Realy looking forward to the new album!

The band will be thrilled to hear they've inspired Mark Chapman!

How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing?
thanks 3 users thanked Leo Order for this useful post.
Andy on 01/08/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/08/2015(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 03/08/2015(UTC)
thehim  
#83 Posted : 01 August 2015 10:27:40(UTC)
thehim

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BazG Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I'll wait until it's going for a fiver after release date I think :)

... And that's a very short edit!

Edited by user 01 August 2015 10:29:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked thehim for this useful post.
markgerard  
#84 Posted : 01 August 2015 14:45:29(UTC)
markgerard

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Restless is magnificent, classic New Order. It took a few listens for me to realise it's brilliance, which is usually the way with New Order - majestically off the cuff and understated. A band who last put out a single proper 10 years ago has the balls to have in the lyrics "I couldn't care less/Can't be a success". Fucking genius. And the subject matter is about the restlessness of the human condition, how we are never satisfied and feel at the bottom of our soul that there's something missing even if we've got everything. But they'd probably say something like "er, it's just a punk song", which is just as profound. I've been a fan since I first saw them 07/02/1981 so I know what to expect, always confounding expectations but somehow always the same too. It's a great tune too.
thanks 3 users thanked markgerard for this useful post.
BazG on 01/08/2015(UTC), Leo Order on 01/08/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/08/2015(UTC)
uberpsycho  
#85 Posted : 02 August 2015 09:21:45(UTC)
uberpsycho

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 54 post(s)
The synths are absolutely beautiful in the intro and throughout

Join our World and play our game...
thanks 2 users thanked uberpsycho for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 02/08/2015(UTC), Leo Order on 02/08/2015(UTC)
Skullcrushed  
#86 Posted : 03 August 2015 03:23:07(UTC)
Skullcrushed

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 29 post(s)
At first listen to this I was really disappointed, thought it was typical late period New Order solid track but nothing special. However after a few plays I've done a complete U-turn and think it's absolutely brilliant. It's a subtle track and it takes a few listens to pick up on its genius. Definitely the strongest thing they have put out since Crystal, if not Regret. Synths + bass + barney's vocals on the chorus are magic- can definitely see the comparisons to Dream Attack! Somehow Tom Chapman's managed to play a better Hooky-esque bassline than anything Hooky's come up with himself in the last 15 years or so as well.

Hyped for the album now!
thanks 1 user thanked Skullcrushed for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/08/2015(UTC)
Get Ready  
#87 Posted : 03 August 2015 03:37:27(UTC)
Get Ready

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Originally Posted by: markgerard Go to Quoted Post
Restless is magnificent, classic New Order. It took a few listens for me to realise it's brilliance, which is usually the way with New Order - majestically off the cuff and understated. A band who last put out a single proper 10 years ago has the balls to have in the lyrics "I couldn't care less/Can't be a success". Fucking genius. And the subject matter is about the restlessness of the human condition, how we are never satisfied and feel at the bottom of our soul that there's something missing even if we've got everything. But they'd probably say something like "er, it's just a punk song", which is just as profound. I've been a fan since I first saw them 07/02/1981 so I know what to expect, always confounding expectations but somehow always the same too. It's a great tune too.

I could have written that, even down to the year 1981 (though didn't see them live until '84).

The covetous will be the first to lose everything when true economic woe hits EVERYBODY and will realise that they had nothing of any substance in the first place. And yes, any explanation of the song's lyrics will be met with an understated response.

Barney disguises some very heavy subject matters with some very simplistic, childlike, nursery style lyrics.

The intellectually snobbish - who denounce his lyrics as puerile - always miss the point as the true meaning flies UNDER their heads.
thanks 2 users thanked Get Ready for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/08/2015(UTC), Andy on 03/08/2015(UTC)
JHV  
#88 Posted : 03 August 2015 11:08:29(UTC)
JHV

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I feel increasingly positive about the lyrics. They are catchy and are at times both nonchalant and wistful, showing that Barney's penchant for contradictory sentiments can still be put to thoughtful and effective use. I've played this song at the cafe I work at in Brooklyn, and my co-workers agree it's the best New Order track since Crystal. A small pool to build consensus from, but it's nice to know the more casual fan can get behind the new track.

I'm also really digging Chapman's driving bass style. The relatively clean, warm amp sound helps make the rhythm track feel airtight. Funnily, I hadn't thought of New Order featuring a classic rhythm combo since Technique. Aside from a few tracks on Get Ready, Hooky and Stephen stopped sounding like musicians in real sync with one another. I know some fans are begrudgingly suggesting the track would be much improved by some of Hooky's high melodic lines, but I was starting to find those as bland and predictable as Barney's "Hey, what's happening here" opening lyrics. The most important thing about Restless -- aside from being a *good* song and a convincing New Order one at that -- is that it sounds like the band are no longer on autopilot. The style of the track itself may not be full of surprises, but it's enlivened and smart arrangement is vastly better than the largely belabored stuff on WFTSC / Lost Sirens.
thanks 1 user thanked JHV for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/08/2015(UTC)
Isi  
#89 Posted : 03 August 2015 14:32:42(UTC)
Isi

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BazG Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

executive producer Daniel Miller. i'm surprised he's got that credit. I wonder what his input is.
"I haven't time to sympathise, with all this nonsense and your lies"
thanks 1 user thanked Isi for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/08/2015(UTC)
NotAMod  
#90 Posted : 03 August 2015 23:48:45(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
I saw yesterday evening that the 1 track promo was taken down from Ebay (unsold?) before the auction ended.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone connected to Mute or band got involved there.

A £150 Buy It Now was an immensely greedy and opportunistic thing to try and pull.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#91 Posted : 04 August 2015 04:28:42(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post

A £150 Buy It Now was an immensely greedy and opportunistic thing to try and pull.

Agree 100%, but in the midst of the worst economic crisis since Take That someone would've ''''''''''snapped'''''''''' it up. Way before the Internet became what it is now, I used to be a Blur fan and their B-sides are notoriously shite, but the singles'd go for astronomical prices. Funny old world innit?

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#92 Posted : 04 August 2015 09:19:33(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1012 time(s) in 642 post(s)
Nice review of Restless I found online.

http://ppcorn.com/us/new-order-restless-single-review/

4.3/5

New Order is currently on track to release their first album in a decade, Music Complete. While the band has debuted several tracks off the album at live shows, yesterday marked the official release of the album’s first single, “Restless,” a rather appropriate title for a song New Order fans have been craving for the better part of ten years.

The song went live on New Order’s YouTube Channel earlier this week, with the video boasting nothing more than modern, minimalist, album art – which we can now assume will be a staple of the new album. Despite their ten year hiatus, “Restless” proves that New Order is ready to come back onto the stage.

The song opens with a melodic elegance, which is sweetly melancholic, and transitions into an almost symphonic lull, which remains a constant throughout all four minutes and thirty seconds of the song. While “Restless” offers something far mellower than New Order’s older work, it’s still undeniably a New Order piece.

“Restless” boasts more guitar the usual, and the melding of the acoustic with the electronic provides a rhythmic harmony which details the trials of greed and what may be a critique of capitalist society. It’s vocalist Bernard Sumner’s quiet voice, which is entirely classic New Order, that gives the lyrics their haunting, alternative tone. “I want a nice car / A girlfriend / Who’s as pretty as a star … But how much do you need.”

With over 100,000 views, the debut of the single might not be ground breaking, but the response has been nothing if not positive. Music Complete is set to feature collaborations with artists Iggy Pop and The Killers’ Brandon Flowers. While the band’s original bassist, Peter Hook, is no longer featured on the roster, Gillian Gilbert will be joining on as pianist.

The song touches on the perils of stagnancy and apathy through both its sound and lyrics: “I feel so restless / Ain’t got no interest / I couldn’t care less / Can’t be a success.” And while one could argue the easy rhythms and simplistic phrasing that make up the overall song might not be as visually strong as some of New Order’s older works, the simplicity and redundancy is perhaps the overall point of the song. “Restless” maintains the moving introspection and conceptual delivery that categorized New Order in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. At the heart of it, the song is about finding a way out of a monotony; it is about how taking a step back is all it really takes to regain a sense of passion.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Fotz on 04/08/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 06/08/2015(UTC)
The Ruts  
#93 Posted : 06 August 2015 10:43:17(UTC)
The Ruts

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Sounds decent enough, but I imagine it'll sound better in the context of the album.
thanks 1 user thanked The Ruts for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/08/2015(UTC)
Debaser  
#94 Posted : 07 August 2015 13:30:55(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3008 time(s) in 2074 post(s)

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/08/2015(UTC)
Debaser  
#95 Posted : 07 August 2015 13:34:29(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3008 time(s) in 2074 post(s)

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/08/2015(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#96 Posted : 08 August 2015 15:17:40(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 625 time(s) in 353 post(s)
I've lived with this track a couple of weeks now, and I've decided the more I hear it, the more I love it, in both its current versions. Perfect understated summer anthem. Text book definition of a "grower". Can't stop the darn thing looping in my head, and can't wait to hear the deluxe extended version.

Classic New Order, and an equally strong first album single to Regret and Crystal. Fantastic stuff.

Edited by user 08 August 2015 15:20:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/08/2015(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#97 Posted : 08 August 2015 19:53:57(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
the wonderful feeling of anticipation of new songs of new order is enhanced by the certainty that bernard and new order will not disappoint . this is not just any band , and bernard is not just any superstar
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/08/2015(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#98 Posted : 10 August 2015 09:51:00(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
I am quite happy with Restless. It's a really beautiful song, elegant, full of melody. Steve's drumming is really propulsive and tight, and his Jazz influences really come to the fore here. Gillian's synth melodies are full, bright, and gorgeous, such a welcome return to have her back on keyboards. Tom's baselines establishes a strong, low end melodic groove that is tight on the rhythm end. Tom has a great sense of melody (as you can hear on the BL and Rubberbear stiff he has played on) and he hold down the rhythm well, his contribution is nice.

Bernard and Phil both contribute some understated by tasty guitar work. Bernard's leads are classic. \

I think Bernard's lower vocal register sounds good, and the lyrics are actually quite interesting. Bernard seems to be discussing the rampant materialism and instant gratification that permeates culture today, and as this is something that makes me quite sad (and sometimes angry), it's cool to see a song from NO about it.

The song is low key, I would have preferred they picked something more driving and dance oriented as the first single, but of course, I am also the guy who loves Fine Time, Jetstream, Guilt is a Useless Emotion, and Sugarcane.

But I see why they went with Restless. It's got the classic NO Technique sound, and it's radio friendly and I could see it playing on a lot of modern rock/indie radio stations and shows as well as catching the ears of casual fans on iTunes and Spotify.

I also think that choosing Restless as the first single shows that New Order have tremendous confidence in this new album. Sure, they could have released a more storming, dance oriented single first (as I am sure the album has these tracks), but instead they are going for a slow burn/build promo tactic that is clearly working very well.

I'm truly excited for this album and the ensuing tour!

ZAS
thanks 2 users thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2015(UTC), Pyrtwist on 27/08/2015(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#99 Posted : 10 August 2015 10:16:10(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Originally Posted by: ZASmusic Go to Quoted Post
I am quite happy with Restless. It's a really beautiful song, elegant, full of melody. Steve's drumming is really propulsive and tight, and his Jazz influences really come to the fore here. Gillian's synth melodies are full, bright, and gorgeous, such a welcome return to have her back on keyboards. Tom's baselines establishes a strong, low end melodic groove that is tight on the rhythm end. Tom has a great sense of melody (as you can hear on the BL and Rubberbear stiff he has played on) and he hold down the rhythm well, his contribution is nice.

Bernard and Phil both contribute some understated by tasty guitar work. Bernard's leads are classic. \

I think Bernard's lower vocal register sounds good, and the lyrics are actually quite interesting. Bernard seems to be discussing the rampant materialism and instant gratification that permeates culture today, and as this is something that makes me quite sad (and sometimes angry), it's cool to see a song from NO about it.

The song is low key, I would have preferred they picked something more driving and dance oriented as the first single, but of course, I am also the guy who loves Fine Time, Jetstream, Guilt is a Useless Emotion, and Sugarcane.

But I see why they went with Restless. It's got the classic NO Technique sound, and it's radio friendly and I could see it playing on a lot of modern rock/indie radio stations and shows as well as catching the ears of casual fans on iTunes and Spotify.

I also think that choosing Restless as the first single shows that New Order have tremendous confidence in this new album. Sure, they could have released a more storming, dance oriented single first (as I am sure the album has these tracks), but instead they are going for a slow burn/build promo tactic that is clearly working very well.

I'm truly excited for this album and the ensuing tour!

ZAS

I agree with you and can't wait to listen to the album also.

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/08/2015(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#100 Posted : 13 August 2015 07:10:27(UTC)
Linus Solanki

thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Andy on 13/08/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 13/10/2015(UTC)