logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fotzepolitic  
#51 Posted : 29 July 2015 11:27:45(UTC)
Fotz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3617 time(s) in 2618 post(s)
Originally Posted by: is it bro Go to Quoted Post
But it's NOT hopeless
If you take less

Still can't work out the line before fiscal climate.

I'm hearing "But it's not helpless if you take risks"

Might be incorrect but it makes sense.

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/07/2015(UTC)
Andy  
#52 Posted : 29 July 2015 12:02:21(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3070 time(s) in 2143 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: is it bro Go to Quoted Post
But it's NOT hopeless
If you take less

Still can't work out the line before fiscal climate.

I'm hearing "But it's not helpless if you take risks"

Might be incorrect but it makes sense.

But can you buy honey with money?
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/07/2015(UTC), Michael Monkhouse on 30/07/2015(UTC)
Andy  
#53 Posted : 29 July 2015 12:15:54(UTC)
Andy

Man

Originally Posted by: Rorschach Go to Quoted Post
I remember the first time I listened to Technique.

I went into college the next day & said "7/10. Not bad but not brilliant." :-/

It very quickly, rightly and permanently became my favourite album of all time.

First impressions can bite you - it'll be funny reading these assessments again in a year or two...

True. And even before that, when Fine Time came out I thought the LP was going to be a bit wacky. It didn't exactly portend the strength of the songwriting on Technique. If the band's work ethic had been better that summer, perhaps Fine Time would have continued the non-LP single tradition.

As it stands, New Order may just be following the Rob Gretton philosophy of not releasing the best track as the first single, "...because where do you go from there?".

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
79order  
#54 Posted : 29 July 2015 12:32:35(UTC)
79order

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Described in today's metro as Johnny Marr meets the pet shop boys , New orders chugging along new single. That's the first time I've heard a new , new order song on me phone progress.
Be a success
thanks 1 user thanked 79order for this useful post.
Ken Doherty  
#55 Posted : 29 July 2015 12:32:50(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

First impressions can bite you - it'll be funny reading these assessments again in a year or two...

True. And even before that, when Fine Time came out I thought the LP was going to be a bit wacky. It didn't exactly portend the strength of the songwriting on Technique. If the band's work ethic had been better that summer, perhaps Fine Time would have continued the non-LP single tradition.

As it stands, New Order may just be following the Rob Gretton philosophy of not releasing the best track as the first single, "...because where do you go from there?".

But if you take that line of thinking, if you think what you've heard so far is shite, why would you want to buy an album of the same? I'm hoping the rest of the album is going to be a lot better, I'm going to the Brixton show and I know N.O.can be contrary when it comes to live shows so if they're going to do an evening of mostly new stuff, I hope its going to be semi-decent.
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
JHV  
#56 Posted : 29 July 2015 13:01:37(UTC)
JHV

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Hi, I used to post here around 2005-2007, but lost my login after the forum updates. Still check the topics from time to time, and I'm glad there's new music to discuss.

I think Restless is really good, and it does remind me a lot of Technique, especially the synth tones and blend of acoustic and electric guitars. There's an effortless quality to it, whereas WFTSC on the whole felt quite labored, even in its highlights. For late Barney lyrics they aren't half bad either. I see it as told from the perspective of disgruntled youths growing up under Cameron / Osborne austerity. The chords and driving rhythm recall both Dream Attack and Tighten Up. I really like the mix; there are many instrumental flourishes without the song ever feeling claustrophobic. (In particular I'm relishing the active hi hat work on Steve's acoustic kit.) Noting here that the bass is more modern and American sounding -- all of Hooky's chorus effects have been deliberately dropped, even if the verse register gives the bass a 'lead' section. Favorite instrumental moment in the Youtube mix is those synth strings at 3:02-3:04. And finally, Barney sounds much more comfortable in his wizened older man voice -- things had been getting a bit honky here and there since 2001.

I know when hearing new music by Bernard and co. there's an air among New Order fans of, "Are we just being charitable about any half decent effort, when we're all pining for some exclamatory, seismic hit?" but I don't feel like I'm trying to like Restless. I think it's rather immediate, direct yet thoughtful, and very pretty all around. It's not a classic, but it sounds close enough to optimal New Order that it's refreshing, instead of mimicking contrivances like "Jet Stream" and the like.

thanks 3 users thanked JHV for this useful post.
Andy on 29/07/2015(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 29/07/2015(UTC), Leo Order on 01/08/2015(UTC)
Andy  
#57 Posted : 29 July 2015 13:03:36(UTC)
Andy

Man

Originally Posted by: Ken Doherty Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post

But if you take that line of thinking, if you think what you've heard so far is shite, why would you want to buy an album of the same? I'm hoping the rest of the album is going to be a lot better, I'm going to the Brixton show and I know N.O.can be contrary when it comes to live shows so if they're going to do an evening of mostly new stuff, I hope its going to be semi-decent.

I haven't said I don't like it (I do, and have purchased the track), nor have said I won't buy the album.

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Who's Joe?  
#58 Posted : 29 July 2015 15:32:34(UTC)
Who's Joe?

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 125 post(s)
So I soaked it in today, 20 plus listens on the drive from my house to Philadelphia for work. After many listens, I can truthfully say I like it. The lyrics could be stronger, in fact, during one listen, I tried re-writing a few couplets to see if I could improve them. Musically, it is an established act playing to its strengths - Steve's drum work, as someone else noted, is really good especially the hi-hat work; Bernard and Phil's mix of acoustic and electric guitars does recall elements of Bad Loo, but also hearken back to Technique in some ways; the strings are a nice polished addition to the mix; and finally Gillian's keyboard work and programming meshes well into the final mix. It has a lot going on in it for sure, but would echo earlier comments that it does not feel claustrophobic at all. As for me, the outro is brilliant -- it really soars and has an energy to it that portends well for the album as a whole in my opinion.

As for the "Is it a single?" debate, I for one no longer believe in the myth of a big lead single in the current music model, especially with established bands like New Order. They have an established market and new listens come in different ways, i.e. not from music videos or traditional radio play. You seek out music you like and check things that seem interesting to you whether its via Spotify, Apple Music or some other music streaming service. A new track from New Order will get spun on various 'stations' or recommended new mixes for consumers. The band chose a song and put it into the world -- call it a single or an InstantGrat track to appease the hardcore fan's interest. I look at other established artists such as The Cure, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, etc. Can anyone really name their last singles? Probably not, because the single simply does not matter anymore.

To the casual fan, this song has the hallmarks of a New Order track....and it's new, so that alone may pique their interest. All of us already pre-ordered the album, the band need not worry about us. Of course, they want us to like it, to share it, to tweet about it. I have and will. As for the album, we will all find that favorite track -- even the people who hated WFTSC found that one track. I'll take a new album with solid music from my favorite band any day over something else.

Hope everyone enjoys the music that coming. Cheers all....it's nice to see a revived board!

Joe
thanks 2 users thanked Who's Joe? for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/07/2015(UTC), Linus Solanki on 30/07/2015(UTC)
blunt laser  
#59 Posted : 29 July 2015 16:55:50(UTC)
blunt laser

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 55 post(s)
I really like it after a few listens. Easily better than anything off WFTSC. The car/girlfriend line does annoy me slightly but there has been much worse. The production is pretty good too, classic NO sounds meshing really well and another round of applause for Steve, bloody great drum work!

I must admit i'm a bit concerned about the 'dance' production on some of the rest of the album, it may be fine in context but some of those snippets sounded a bit too plastic. If you know what i mean?! Wish they'd break out the old analog synths. That shit low synth hum, used on this track at the start and liberally on WFTSC is crap!!

Apart from that though, all good! Sure it'll be fine!

No ones really mentioned Hooky much, would it be much better with him on it? I don't really think it would sound massively different, maybe just a slightly louder chorusier bass! I'd love to know what he makes of it.
thanks 1 user thanked blunt laser for this useful post.
Debaser  
#60 Posted : 30 July 2015 03:12:54(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3008 time(s) in 2074 post(s)
There are definitely subtle female backing vox on the chorus, which to my ear sound like Gillian from her TO2 stuff - this isn't one of the tracks EJ is supposed to be backing on.

Well she favourited this tweet.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/07/2015(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#61 Posted : 30 July 2015 04:34:57(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I doubt it's Gillian.
The funny thing about NO songs is they normally sound 'meh' first time around but you get into 'em gradually. I'll put this on heavy rotation and get back to you after the wankend... I thought Singularity was stronger but maybe it was too epic for a single. I remember 'Make It Happen' was mooted as a trailer single but it was too long and the edit lost the ooomph, so they settled for the comparative safety of 'Vivid'.
Let's think positive. We can always console ourselves with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99BQNRU8BMI...
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#62 Posted : 30 July 2015 05:54:45(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1012 time(s) in 642 post(s)
After listening to the song for the past 2 days so many times it is a very good song and it grows on you after a couple of listens, i like the single shorter version that the longer one. I would give the song 3.75 out of 5 stars.

I bought the single from the US Amazon store but I like the UK shorter single version more and it is not avaiable in the US , does any one know how I can get the restless single version, if the US Amazon store had it I would definately get it I don't mind paying money for anything by NO but it is not available no where besides the UK store, can someone help me out with it, Thanks
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#63 Posted : 30 July 2015 06:28:22(UTC)
Fotz

Got my head around the song a bit more now.Downloaded the longer version.It's ok but still trying to get my head round why they would choose this as first single/trailer whatever you want to call it.I mean if it's more of a trailer for the album as opposed to a " first single from the album" you still think they'd of chosen something that grabs the attention more on first listen but maybe their intentions will become more apparent in time. Why they chose Chris Evans' Radio 2 breakfast show for the exclusive first play is something that i'll never understand.It's a foregone conclusion that Evans would talk his inane crap over the intro and then cut it off after a couple of minutes to talk more shite.And that's exactly what he did - I looked up the show Restless was premiered on iplayer radio catch up.Can't imagine his listeners would be remotely interested in a new New Order song .Truly baffling choice to give first dibs to Evans.
is it bro  
#64 Posted : 30 July 2015 06:29:21(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
I doubt it's Gillian.
The funny thing about NO songs is they normally sound 'meh' first time around but you get into 'em gradually. I'll put this on heavy rotation and get back to you after the wankend... I thought Singularity was stronger but maybe it was too epic for a single. I remember 'Make It Happen' was mooted as a trailer single but it was too long and the edit lost the ooomph, so they settled for the comparative safety of 'Vivid'.
Let's think positive. We can always console ourselves with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99BQNRU8BMI...

I'm 99% sure it is Gillian singing having vocal on bridge and chorus. Who else would it be?

Decent song 4/5. It's didn't grab me to start with but has slowly worked its way into my subconscious.
thanks 1 user thanked is it bro for this useful post.
LostSiren  
#65 Posted : 30 July 2015 07:21:54(UTC)
LostSiren

Was thanked: 218 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
I doubt it's Gillian.

Oh man. I cannot unsee that video. Nothing says phoning it in like John Lydon sitting and signing lyrics off a piece of paper.

Edited by user 30 July 2015 07:22:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked LostSiren for this useful post.
Music4Pleasure  
#66 Posted : 30 July 2015 08:05:47(UTC)
Music4Pleasure

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I listened to this several times during in the last couple of days. The music is great, and reminds me of WFTSC. I like the drumming and orchestration and guitars...it all sounds very very good!

What I can't however get past is the vocals. Bernard's lower register does not work on this track (although it has worked before on "Behind Closed Doors"). In certain parts of the songs, it sounds like he's about to lose his voice. Lyrically not that great either. Let's hope for better album tracks.
thanks 1 user thanked Music4Pleasure for this useful post.
Mr Discography  
#67 Posted : 30 July 2015 09:57:24(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 625 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Linus Solanki Go to Quoted Post
After listening to the song for the past 2 days so many times it is a very good song and it grows on you after a couple of listens, i like the single shorter version that the longer one. I would give the song 3.75 out of 5 stars.

I bought the single from the US Amazon store but I like the UK shorter single version more and it is not avaiable in the US , does any one know how I can get the restless single version, if the US Amazon store had it I would definately get it I don't mind paying money for anything by NO but it is not available no where besides the UK store, can someone help me out with it, Thanks

Don't think the edit is available anywhere. No doubt distributed (digitally?) to stations for radio play. Guess it might be available with the remixes package in October..?
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#68 Posted : 30 July 2015 10:07:53(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1012 time(s) in 642 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post

Don't think the edit is available anywhere. No doubt distributed (digitally?) to stations for radio play. Guess it might be available with the remixes package in October..?

The UK Amazon and UK Itunes has it but I am unable to purchase it since I live overseas otherwise I would have bought it in an instant.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/07/2015(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#69 Posted : 30 July 2015 11:15:43(UTC)
Fotz

Well it has certainly polarized opinion. The comments on New Order's Facebook alternate equally between people loving it and others hating, one person even claiming to have cancelled their pre order of the album on the basis of his or her dislike for Restless.

The song was reviewed very positively on 6Music Roundtable tonight by Ed Byrne, Janice Long and Paul Smith (Maximo Park).Listen here First song reviewed- Go to about 1 minute 10 seconds

Edited by user 30 July 2015 11:18:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

edspess  
#70 Posted : 30 July 2015 14:29:54(UTC)
edspess

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 31 post(s)
The UK Amazon and UK Itunes has it but I am unable to purchase it since I live overseas otherwise I would have bought it in an instant.

iTunes only has the full length version here (UK) Linus, looks like I'll need to buy the edited version from Amazon although I have to say I prefer the longer version. Somehow it just feels more complete, musically!

thanks 1 user thanked edspess for this useful post.
Jcp7  
#71 Posted : 30 July 2015 15:49:49(UTC)
Jcp7

Man

Was thanked: 644 time(s) in 540 post(s)

Did you try Googleplay?
thanks 1 user thanked Jcp7 for this useful post.
tarbox23  
#72 Posted : 30 July 2015 19:37:45(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post
Got my head around the song a bit more now.Downloaded the longer version.It's ok but still trying to get my head round why they would choose this as first single/trailer whatever you want to call it.I mean if it's more of a trailer for the album as opposed to a " first single from the album" you still think they'd of chosen something that grabs the attention more on first listen but maybe their intentions will become more apparent in time. Why they chose Chris Evans' Radio 2 breakfast show for the exclusive first play is something that i'll never understand.It's a foregone conclusion that Evans would talk his inane crap over the intro and then cut it off after a couple of minutes to talk more shite.And that's exactly what he did - I looked up the show Restless was premiered on iplayer radio catch up.Can't imagine his listeners would be remotely interested in a new New Order song .Truly baffling choice to give first dibs to Evans.

cause they are new order.

gretton is loving it.

Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 1 user thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#73 Posted : 30 July 2015 23:50:45(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post

The 4:31 edit is available to buy from a few digital stores in lossless quality:

Juno Download.
BeatPort Pro.
Qobuz.

The 5:28 version on Amazon US appears to be the same as the freebie MP3 given away with the pre-orders.

As for the tune, it's definitely grown on me. I really like it.

Edited by user 30 July 2015 23:53:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#74 Posted : 31 July 2015 01:41:12(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: the_blank_from_hell Go to Quoted Post
Is their a statement from the Hookster already?

Fuck off you cunts.
Michael Monkhouse  
#75 Posted : 31 July 2015 01:42:56(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Music4Pleasure Go to Quoted Post
The music is great, and reminds me of WFTSC.

Non sequitur?