logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NotAMod  
#51 Posted : 09 February 2013 11:07:33(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
To be fair, the whole "if <person> hadn't been doing this, they probably wouldn't have gotten the gig" started in that LA interview.

Not from any member of NOOL.
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/02/2013(UTC)
markreed  
#52 Posted : 09 February 2013 11:42:46(UTC)
markreed

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
If I remember rightly, "Turn" was remixed, a video done, a chock load of new-remixes-of-old-songs prepared and then it was decided to do the 12 x 12" release instead.
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/02/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#53 Posted : 12 February 2013 05:12:55(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
markreed wrote:
If I remember rightly, "Turn" was remixed, a video done, a chock load of new-remixes-of-old-songs prepared and then it was decided to do the 12 x 12" release instead.
Yeah there was even artwork of a terne (tee hee) but it was never finalised. There was also talk of a Sirens megamix as the B-side but DJ Hooky said he didn't know anything about it. The 12-12 thing wasn't officially the replacement but it certainly looked that way.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/02/2013(UTC)
Andy  
#54 Posted : 12 February 2013 09:50:21(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3072 time(s) in 2144 post(s)
markreed wrote:

There were 4 videos.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/02/2013(UTC)
Volturno  
#55 Posted : 14 February 2013 11:09:18(UTC)
Volturno

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Another set of interviews:

My Interview with Peter Hook, Part 1: Joy Division and the "Rubbish" with New Order

Quote:
AC: This so much more comprehensive with Deborah's book. [Deborah Curtis, Ian's widow, and her book, Touching from a Distance.]

PH: But Deborah's book was about her relationship with Ian. And to be honest with you, I don't think she could give a shite about the group.

AC: But for longest time, her book was the definitive account of Joy Division.

PH: I supposed it was because at the time, it was the only personal account. I did read Debbie's book and it did make me feel quite sodding guilty because there was a sexism on our part. We did keep it for the boys and exclude everyone else. But you do what you did at the time and you can't really change the past, can you?

Interview: with Peter Hook of Joy Division and New Order

Quote:
There are times when you realize that in the same way that I’m playing Joy Division songs without them, they’re playing New Order without me, but I do feel a hell of a lot better now that I’ve played New Order as well. Their bass player actually got involved in the slanging match and Phil Cunningham and really they’ve got no place to talk about anything to do with me. My argument is with Bernard, Stephen and Gillian. It’s not with two guys that don’t know what happened anyways because they weren’t there. I did have to phone Phil Cunningham up say “Be careful what you say, I‘ve got no argument with you but don‘t fucking join in cuz you weren’t there.”

Quote:
I know Johnny Rotten quite well. P.I.L. toured with us in America and I got to know him quite well.

To have PIL support New Order, that must’ve been like a dream?

I wouldn’t say it was a dream (laughs!) He is a very difficult character, he never has a moment off, he is always Johnny Rotten, in your face, spitting! I actually do like him a lot, for me it’s like in a funny way, its almost as important what he did for me in the way that my mother gave birth to me. Johnny Rotten gave birth to me as a musician and when I was doing the book, the thing that frightened me was what if I hadn’t gone that night to the gig?
thanks 2 users thanked Volturno for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/02/2013(UTC), phil on 16/02/2013(UTC)
#56 Posted : 19 February 2013 17:58:10(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
For what it's worth, this is kind of in defence of Hooky...

When this Hooky v New Order 'war' started I was quite firmly in Bernard, Stephen and Gillian's camp. I was pretty horrified by Hooky's bitter outpourings in interviews and thought his comments about Gillian's ability as a musician were out of order. I saw the new New Order last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, the first time I'd seen them since 1988 (!). It was all fairly straightforward - they were the good guys and Hooky was the villain. Which was difficult to accept as Hooky was always my favourite member of New Order in the past.

Then the very next morning Hooky's Unknown Pleasures book arrived in the post. I'd ordered it despite being saddened by his recent pronouncements, thought I'd give it a go. Quite frankly it was a fantastic read, I couldn't put it down and blazed through it in a week (which is amazing for an old git like me). I have no idea how much of it was true or not, but Hooky's heart-on-sleeve telling of the story made me think better of him. The bloke obviously cares a hell of a lot about what's important to him. He can't be all bad.

Now I don't know what to think. I still maintain Hooky shouldn't be giving so many interviews because it just leads to more mud-slinging. But I now feel he's not 100% the bad guy in all of this, they're all to blame in one way or another. It saddens me that it's all gone so pear-shaped for my favourite group, but at least there are two New Order's (sort of) to enjoy.

Edited by user 19 February 2013 17:59:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 1980 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/02/2013(UTC)
El Jarvo  
#57 Posted : 20 February 2013 01:01:56(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
1980 wrote:
I still maintain Hooky shouldn't be giving so many interviews because it just leads to more mud-slinging.

He's had a book to promote - before Xmas over here, post Xmas Stateside. I should imagine he's had to do a lot of interviews in order to promote that?

Also, he's been interviewed about Lost Sirens too, so is doing promotion on behalf of that.

thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/02/2013(UTC)
#58 Posted : 20 February 2013 13:40:15(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
El Jarvo wrote:
1980 wrote:
I still maintain Hooky shouldn't be giving so many interviews because it just leads to more mud-slinging.

He's had a book to promote - before Xmas over here, post Xmas Stateside. I should imagine he's had to do a lot of interviews in order to promote that?

Also, he's been interviewed about Lost Sirens too, so is doing promotion on behalf of that.

I agree - no doubt he's got a lot of people asking him for interviews right now, and inevitably the New Order thing is going to come up.

I think what I meant to say was I wish he wasn't giving so many interviews.Smile
thanks 1 user thanked 1980 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/02/2013(UTC)
Johnny James  
#59 Posted : 21 February 2013 01:17:07(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
This ongoing feud comes up time and again because every stupid journalist will ask the same bloody questions about it over and over again, to any member of the band they come into contact with. If they get answers then it's good copy for them. Later on the NME will make up another conflict story about it as well, and it'll run and run.

The thing Hooky, Steve, Bernard, Gillian need to do is at least agree to shut up about it, then they can close down any discussions with idiot 'journalists'.

Edited by user 21 February 2013 01:23:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/02/2013(UTC)
JG  
#60 Posted : 21 February 2013 13:19:02(UTC)
JG

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Doing lots of interviews isn't an excuse to talk about the estrangement from New Order. If Hooky doesn't want to talk about it, he just tells his PR to brief the journo that its off limits. That's been happening for years, like solo singers who don't want to talk about their previous group etc. But Hooky clearly does want to run his mouth on this one. It's Hooky's brain that needs to change not the amount of interviews he's doing.
thanks 2 users thanked JG for this useful post.
Pyrtwist on 21/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 22/02/2013(UTC)