logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Volturno  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2013 21:45:24(UTC)
Volturno

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Quote:
Yahoo! Music: Any word on whether Sumner and Morris have read your Joy Division memoir?

Hook: They tried to stop Unknown Pleasures. They tried to sue me for libel, and they demanded the book as evidence in a libel prosecution. But they didn’t succeed, because there was no grounds. No grounds at all. Bernard, Stephen, and I have talked a lot about these stories in the book. I’m not betraying anything by doing it. But I’ve been in the room with Bernard and Steve, and we’ve talked about a story, and they’ve told it in a completely different way. I’m going, “No, that’s not what happened.” And I’ll tell my version, and they’ll go, “No, that’s not what happened!” So memory is completely subjective. As I say in my book, this book is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...as I remember it! We’d been offered band books in the past, but the thing about a band book is that it would have to be a compromise. While New Order was together, [I] could never have written that Joy Division book. In a way, because we’re not working together, it’s easy, because the book that you would write while you’re together would be pasteurized, homogenized and have to please everybody.

The whole interview is a good read:
http://ca.music.yahoo.co...pleasures-233908730.html
thanks 1 user thanked Volturno for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/02/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Eimi  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2013 21:53:49(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Volturno wrote:
Quote:
Yahoo! Music: Any word on whether Sumner and Morris have read your Joy Division memoir?

Hook: They tried to stop Unknown Pleasures. They tried to sue me for libel, and they demanded the book as evidence in a libel prosecution. But they didn’t succeed, because there was no grounds. No grounds at all. Bernard, Stephen, and I have talked a lot about these stories in the book. I’m not betraying anything by doing it. But I’ve been in the room with Bernard and Steve, and we’ve talked about a story, and they’ve told it in a completely different way. I’m going, “No, that’s not what happened.” And I’ll tell my version, and they’ll go, “No, that’s not what happened!” So memory is completely subjective. As I say in my book, this book is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...as I remember it! We’d been offered band books in the past, but the thing about a band book is that it would have to be a compromise. While New Order was together, [I] could never have written that Joy Division book. In a way, because we’re not working together, it’s easy, because the book that you would write while you’re together would be pasteurized, homogenized and have to please everybody.

The whole interview is a good read:
http://ca.music.yahoo.co...pleasures-233908730.html

Everybody has a different point of view. I'd rather read a band book that didn't make some people angry or irritated. Didn't one of the former members of The Cure disputed Hooky's claims about The Cure disliking JD? It wasn't in court, but still....

Edited by user 05 February 2013 23:17:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Coops  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2013 23:59:33(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
I thought Hookys book was great, I enjoyed reading it alot and Im sure I'll re-read it again in the future. I didnt take it as detailed account of everything I took it as his memories, written down. I think its a given that its going to be from his point of view and that not everyone would agree with it but thats the same with all autobiographies, isnt it? Hooky was clearly pissed off with the issues around the Van, trivial as they may sound now, but I want to read how he felt about things like that. Not an even-handed seeing-it-from-their-point-of-view banal piece. In fact, I felt he held back (or was edited back) regarding his feelings on the other members of the band; they were even relatively complementary or quite even handed.

To be honest, he came across alot better in the book than he seems to in interviews nowadays. Funny how shooting from the hip isnt always the best way, aint it?

Edited by user 06 February 2013 00:00:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Coops for this useful post.
Eimi on 06/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 06/02/2013(UTC), JG on 09/02/2013(UTC)
World Domination: Complete  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2013 00:27:31(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
Sleep
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
Volturno  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2013 11:52:19(UTC)
Volturno

Don't think this one has been posted yet:
UserPostedImage

PETER HOOK: WOULD ANYTHING SURPRISE YOU IN THIS WORLD?
Quote:
I know you’re not a petty man, but if you really want to twist the knife…hire [former Warsaw drummer Steve] Brotherdale. Then call Stephen Morris up and say, ‘Hey, Steven … guess who’s our drummer!’
[laughs] You know, he works at McDonald’s.
As a manager?
I don’t think he was a manager when I went there, but he just got prosecuted for beating up his wife. Because it was in the ‘paper: Ex-Joy Division Drummer: Wife-Beater! Wild.

Quote:
You know what? You got a lot of help, really. That is to say—I mean, as much as I hate to admit it, Bernard [Sumner] was a really great help in the beginning. So was Ian Curtis. And they encouraged you. I mean, the reason I played high was because I couldn’t hear the low notes—my speakers were that bad. My speakers cost $15—and they sounded like $15, even though $15 in 1976 was a lot of money. It sounded terrible, and you couldn’t hear it! The only way you could hear it was to play high. And Ian Curtis in particular said, ‘That’s what you should concentrate on. It sounds fantastic when you play high. Play high.’ And every time we came to rehearse, he’d say, ‘Hooky, play high, play high—driving along, driving along!’ And it was quite simple—and then Bernard encouraged me to get a chorus pedal, because he said, ‘Because you’re playing high, you need to fatten it up a bit,’ and that’s how I got an Electro-Harmonix chorus. And then Martin Hannett said to me, ‘Hooky, you’ve got a shit bass amp. You should have the best bass amp in the world.’

Quote:
You know what it’s like? It’s like that really really hot girl in high school, that everyone says, ‘Oh, don’t go for her, she’s trouble.’ But you’ve got to fuck her. You’ve got to go for her anyway! And you do—and it’s amazing. Going back to New Order again, every so often over the years, I would see bootlegs of New Order concerts, and Gillian would every so often kind of muff it—she would be in the wrong key or something—and Stephen would come out from behind the drumkit and really sarcastically put her finger on the right key, roll his eyes, and go back behind the kit. Did that really go on, or was I just imagining that?
I’m afraid so, yes. She was never the most … accomplished musician. If she hadn’t been shagging the drummer, I don’t think she would have got the gig, to be honest. That was one of the puzzles with New Order: the happiest I ever saw Bernard in New Order was when she left! And that has really puzzled me. I guess the thing is: he must hate me more! [cackles]
Housey  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2013 12:03:45(UTC)
Housey

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 65 post(s)
I can't decide which is worse: jokes about Stephen beating Gillian (and yes, I know he was referring to Brotherdale but I read that as 'lol, I saw the paper and for a second thought that...') or jokes about Gillian 'shagging' her way into New Order. Ugh. PLEASE STOP TALKING.

Edited by user 06 February 2013 12:06:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Housey for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/02/2013(UTC), Eimi on 06/02/2013(UTC), JG on 09/02/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2013 14:30:05(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Housey wrote:
I can't decide which is worse: jokes about Stephen beating Gillian (and yes, I know he was referring to Brotherdale but I read that as 'lol, I saw the paper and for a second thought that...') or jokes about Gillian 'shagging' her way into New Order. Ugh. PLEASE STOP TALKING.

Agreed. The bit about Gillian is just No... That is just so disrespectful.
thanks 3 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Housey on 06/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC), JG on 09/02/2013(UTC)
tarbox23  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2013 15:16:56(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Housey wrote:
I can't decide which is worse: jokes about Stephen beating Gillian (and yes, I know he was referring to Brotherdale but I read that as 'lol, I saw the paper and for a second thought that...')

Oh give us a break - he never even comes CLOSE to insinuating that -

Housey wrote:
or jokes about Gillian 'shagging' her way into New Order. Ugh. PLEASE STOP TALKING.

No, you are implying that Hook insinuated Gillian sought out New Order and slept with them to get into the band....

Hook said, "If she hadn’t been shagging the drummer, I don’t think she would have got the gig, to be honest."

And, come on, it IS pretty much true, and I bet Gillian would laugh about it. It was totally New Order to have the drummer's girlfriend join the band. Probably involving some Rob Gretton fiendish smile.

You guys have gone off the deep end of over-sensitivity, and Housey is purposefully misconstruing crap to paint Hooky as evil.

I thought the most interesting bit in the interview was when he said he would stop at Regret. I was curious which LP would be the last one he toured.

Also, that Sumner was the one to recommend the chorus pedal.

Edited by user 06 February 2013 15:21:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 2 users thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
Volturno on 06/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2013 15:26:11(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

I still disagree with Hooky that Bernard allegedly was 'happiest' when she left. And nobody was a classically trained musician, so there was no need to single out Gillian for allegedly not being the best musician.
thanks 2 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse on 07/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC)
NotAMod  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2013 16:53:43(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1035 time(s) in 653 post(s)
I'm a firm believer interviewers should at least try to be impartial rather than behave like the subject's best mate; that LA Record one fails spectacularly on this front.

Aside from that it's surprising to hear him say Regret was the last (proper) New Order song. At the time of Get Ready I remember reading many positive comments with Hooky about that LP; Crystal, 60 MPH, Turn My Way & Primitive Notion - not New Order songs? They seem like ones to me and not even he could deny his bass was prominent, way up in the mix and driving the song melodies. It's a bit sad to hear him deride everything post Factory as not worthy of the name when sections of it clearly was. I suspect he does consider them to be New Order songs but other "arrangements" from that period taint everything for him. Sad.

Still another day, another interview. You've got to admire his sheer bloody-mindedness.
thanks 3 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Eimi on 06/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC), Sage_ on 09/02/2013(UTC)
tarbox23  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2013 17:26:53(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

I am starting to come around more to Hooky's side of things tho.

I really didn't like all the Ian Curtis imagery at the New Order Now show I saw in NYC last autumn. Felt really cultish. All the cheers and lighters in some silly reverence of the holy icon of Ian when Atmosphere was played was just juvenile.

Hook doesn't do any of that crap, he just plays the music.

And, he IS more daring to play all these non-hits, learning all these old songs that they never or rarely played live. Especially in contrast to New Order Now who tread it safe with the hits, which is clearly a more 'selling-out' type deal. Sure, they are all making money off this, but certainly New Order Now are making more, so it is pretty silly of them to accuse Hook of cashing in.

I guess I am just starting to see Hook as the underdog here, and I think New Order have been too hard on him -- we all know Hooky has a big mouth, but that is what you get with him, it has been that way for decades, it is Hooky - I picture him strutting around the stage in 1988 all clad in leather with his bass down to the floor, and wouldn't expect anything less.

Neither side is right, or wrong, but I am finding myself becoming more loyal to the black sheep lately...

Edited by user 06 February 2013 17:29:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 2 users thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
Volturno on 06/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#12 Posted : 06 February 2013 18:02:56(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

tarbox23 wrote:

I really didn't like all the Ian Curtis imagery at the New Order Now show I saw in NYC last autumn. Felt really cultish. All the cheers and lighters in some silly reverence of the holy icon of Ian when Atmosphere was played was just juvenile.

And, he IS more daring to play all these non-hits, learning all these old songs that they never or rarely played live. Especially in contrast to New Order Now who tread it safe with the hits, which is clearly a more 'selling-out' type deal. Sure, they are all making money off this, but certainly New Order Now are making more, so it is pretty silly of them to accuse Hook of cashing in.

I guess I am just starting to see Hook as the underdog here, and I think New Order have been too hard on him -- we all know Hooky has a big mouth, but that is what you get with him, it has been that way for decades, it is Hooky - I picture him strutting around the stage in 1988 all clad in leather with his bass down to the floor, and wouldn't expect anything less.

Neither side is right, or wrong, but I am finding myself becoming more loyal to the black sheep lately...

Most bands around the world, 'tread it safe' with the hits/singles type songs when they tour, with the exception being some songs from their new album. Now, it's true New Order haven't played songs from Lost Sirens, but other than that, they're doing what most bands in the world do. Most of the audience for New Order gigs will probably be a mixture of hardcore and casual fans, so it's not really sensible to mainly play b-sides or obscure album tracks. I do wish they could play some songs from Lost Sirens, but then again, I don't know why they haven't and I will not judge them for that.

As for why New Order have perhaps made more money for gigs, is that the name brand of 'New Order' is more known around the world than 'Peter Hook and The Light'. Also, like it or not, there seems to be more 'demand' around the world (especially at big festivals etc) for New Order playing their songs, than Peter Hook doing album tours of JD (and now New Order albums?). Even if New Order weren't intending on cashing in, there probably would be more festivals/gig promoters around the world willing to invite New Order to play (especially at festivals and bigger venues), than Peter Hook and The Light, which has a different kind of audience, and a different niche. And at least New Order have expressed the desire to make new material, in quite a few interviews, or at least hinted at it, instead of complaining about illegal piracy on and on and on....We get it, Hooky, it's a problem, but still, that shouldn't stop Hooky expressing the desire to make something new.

As for me? I like Hooky's bass playing, but I'm not a fan of his big mouth type personality in interviews. I just simply prefer people who have more tact regarding what they say to the press/public.

Edited by user 06 February 2013 18:08:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio  
#13 Posted : 06 February 2013 18:23:10(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:
tarbox23 wrote:

Most bands around the world, 'tread it safe' with the hits/singles type songs when they tour, with the exception being some songs from their new album. Now, it's true New Order haven't played songs from Lost Sirens, but other than that, they're doing what most bands in the world do. Most of the audience for New Order gigs will probably be a mixture of hardcore and casual fans, so it's not really sensible to mainly play b-sides or obscure album tracks. I do wish they could play some songs from Lost Sirens, but then again, I don't know why they haven't and I will not judge them for that.

As for why New Order have perhaps made more money for gigs, is that the name brand of 'New Order' is more known around the world than 'Peter Hook and The Light'. Also, like it or not, there seems to be more 'demand' around the world (especially at big festivals etc) for New Order playing their songs, than Peter Hook doing album tours of JD (and now New Order albums?). Even if New Order weren't intending on cashing in, there probably would be more festivals/gig promoters around the world willing to invite New Order to play (especially at festivals and bigger venues), than Peter Hook and The Light, which has a different kind of audience, and a different niche. And at least New Order have expressed the desire to make new material, in quite a few interviews, or at least hinted at it, instead of complaining about illegal piracy on and on and on....We get it, Hooky, it's a problem, but still, that shouldn't stop Hooky expressing the desire to make something new.

As for me? I like Hooky's bass playing, but I'm not a fan of his big mouth type personality in interviews. I just simply prefer people who have more tact regarding what they say to the press/public.

Eimi,

I will introduce you to Hooky. He is not the devil you have figured!

Bernard Sumner is a thousand times more boring Big Grin
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
Eimi  
#14 Posted : 06 February 2013 18:26:03(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Big Mouth Julio wrote:

Eimi,

I don't think anyone is the devil...and I don't care who is or isn't boring....

Edited by user 06 February 2013 18:26:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

No Barcode  
#15 Posted : 06 February 2013 18:27:43(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Hooky, we all beg you to reform Monaco!!! We believe in you and that you will create more beautiful tunes. Stop giving excuses and stop getting at New Order by playing NO albums (sure, as a sort of punishment for them). We understand that you enjoy playing music, but don't waste your time on playing old songs, when you can create new ones! And write a two-volume book on New Order, please.

Edited by user 06 February 2013 18:29:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#16 Posted : 06 February 2013 18:37:35(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:
Big Mouth Julio wrote:

Eimi,

Of course you do not like Hooky. It is obvious.

But you need to know his side of the story before kicking his arse.
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
Eimi  
#17 Posted : 06 February 2013 18:53:15(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Big Mouth Julio wrote:
leather-girl wrote:
Big Mouth Julio wrote:

Eimi,

Of course you do not like Hooky. It is obvious.

But you need to know his side of the story before kicking his arse.

I like Hooky's bass sound; not a fan of his big mouth. And I did read the interview, but I disagree with some of what he said.
thanks 2 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Housey on 07/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC)
tarbox23  
#18 Posted : 06 February 2013 20:40:39(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

leather-girl wrote:
Most bands around the world, 'tread it safe' with the hits/singles type songs when they tour, with the exception being some songs from their new album. Now, it's true New Order haven't played songs from Lost Sirens, but other than that, they're doing what most bands in the world do. Most of the audience for New Order gigs will probably be a mixture of hardcore and casual fans, so it's not really sensible to mainly play b-sides or obscure album tracks.

but the Factory Records/Rob Gretton version of New Order never had this attitude back in the past.

I have no issue with them cashing in and just being entertainers "giving the audience what they want" nowadays, but it IS painful to see them go back on their original ethic. They have become the 1970s prog-rock bands that they used to despise... how are they different from a commercial entity like Jefferson Starship touring on "We Built This City" in the 1980s?

Hooky is NOT just giving the people what they want. He has NOT sold out. He is playing every single song, whether it was a hit or not, no matter how difficult to perform, no matter who likes it, and no matter how small the venue.

I find that to be more in tune with the contrarian, punk-spirited New Order that I grew up with in the 1980s. Hooky is proving you can keep that integrity, even as you grow older.

Edited by user 06 February 2013 20:44:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
Eimi  
#19 Posted : 06 February 2013 21:58:58(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

tarbox23 wrote:
leather-girl wrote:
Most bands around the world, 'tread it safe' with the hits/singles type songs when they tour, with the exception being some songs from their new album. Now, it's true New Order haven't played songs from Lost Sirens, but other than that, they're doing what most bands in the world do. Most of the audience for New Order gigs will probably be a mixture of hardcore and casual fans, so it's not really sensible to mainly play b-sides or obscure album tracks.

but the Factory Records/Rob Gretton version of New Order never had this attitude back in the past.

I have no issue with them cashing in and just being entertainers "giving the audience what they want" nowadays, but it IS painful to see them go back on their original ethic. They have become the 1970s prog-rock bands that they used to despise... how are they different from a commercial entity like Jefferson Starship touring on "We Built This City" in the 1980s?

Hooky is NOT just giving the people what they want. He has NOT sold out. He is playing every single song, whether it was a hit or not, no matter how difficult to perform, no matter who likes it, and no matter how small the venue.

I find that to be more in tune with the contrarian, punk-spirited New Order that I grew up with in the 1980s. Hooky is proving you can keep that integrity, even as you grow older.

Perhaps I care less about how New Order were in the Factory era because I started listening to them in 2002. Also, while I do have both Joy Division's albums, I'm not a huge fan, so I'm not that obsessive about what Hooky's doing. And perhaps the Factory way of doing things may be difficult today. The Hacienda and Factory may have been influential, but I'm too young to remember, so I don't see New Order as sellouts. Unless they keep touring like this for several more years with nothing new.
Andy  
#20 Posted : 06 February 2013 22:04:52(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
tarbox23 wrote:
leather-girl wrote:

It sorta seems like you do have an "issue with them cashing in and just being entertainers". I think the majority of the people on these boards could tell you how they differ from Jefferson Starship. Some might even be able to educate you on Jefferson Airplane/Starship (formed in the mid-sixties, definitely not prog-rock, toured "We Built this City" in the 1980s because it was released in *gasp*, the 1980s, when they were called just Starship). Is their evolving name why you chose to use them as an example? Do you believe the remaining members no longer have the right to be called New Order?

I understand your point. I was disappointed back in 1985 when they started pulling singles off the albums. I was uncomfortable when they did "World in Motion". I was underwhelmed by Republic and its half-hearted tour. I got over it. The fact is, I've enjoyed every subsequent tour more and more since that 1993 nadir.

Edited by user 06 February 2013 22:06:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC), JG on 09/02/2013(UTC)
Volturno  
#21 Posted : 06 February 2013 22:10:15(UTC)
Volturno

Housey wrote:

I didn't see it that way at all.

tarbox23 wrote:

No, you are implying that Hook insinuated Gillian sought out New Order and slept with them to get into the band....

Hook said, "If she hadn’t been shagging the drummer, I don’t think she would have got the gig, to be honest."

And, come on, it IS pretty much true, and I bet Gillian would laugh about it. It was totally New Order to have the drummer's girlfriend join the band. Probably involving some Rob Gretton fiendish smile.

You guys have gone off the deep end of over-sensitivity, and Housey is purposefully misconstruing crap to paint Hooky as evil.

I thought the most interesting bit in the interview was when he said he would stop at Regret. I was curious which LP would be the last one he toured.

Also, that Sumner was the one to recommend the chorus pedal.

I agree completely, it's not insulting and it didn't really matter, but it's clear she didn't get in for writing great tunes or anything.
People are extremely sensitive about Hooky's views and jokes, so it's no wonder some here will think even worse of him now.

As for Regret, I do believe Hooky likes most of Get Ready and knows much of it is still New Order, but I guess he doesn't see it worthwhile to play the whole record.

leather-girl wrote:
I still disagree with Hooky that Bernard allegedly was 'happiest' when she left. And nobody was a classically trained musician, so there was no need to single out Gillian for allegedly not being the best musician.

How could we know if he was happy or not? There isn't much info about backstage NO 2001-2002.

tarbox23 wrote:

It is obviously challenging and a lot more passionate than what NewOrderNow is doing. I doubt it is that hard to play I'll Stay With You, for instance, since me and my amateur group could play it really close to the original after few rehearsals.

I used to think Hooky was simply pissed because they didn't bother talking with him about getting back after he left, then decided to make it his mission to "fuck NO over" for no reason. Then he revealed the drinking prolem, rehab, the legal maneuvers and all that.
Also the money bit is non-sense, they're making millions in a world tour playing "Singles" versus Hooky playing dozens of intimate gigs. There was a NOOLer that posted a thread saying NONow already had a world tour in mind and the charity thing was just a test; he ended up completely right, you don't get that many gigs right off the bat without some actual planning.

What was most surprising IMO was the attempt at suing for libel. I'd get absolutely furious if it was me. It's not a book about their privacy, it's about a period in Peter Hook's life that he shared with them. I found it absurd, really.
CTB  
#22 Posted : 06 February 2013 22:12:39(UTC)
CTB

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 57 post(s)
tarbox23 wrote:

I find that to be more in tune with the contrarian, punk-spirited New Order that I grew up with in the 1980s. Hooky is proving you can keep that integrity, even as you grow older.[/size]

No strictly true, the 1998 NO shows (not Factory era, but certainly Rob Gretton era) had no new product to promote, in a lot of ways the 2011/12 tours are similar to the 1998 period in that they are not promoting 'new' stuff, but are more a live celebration of the band after a relatively long period of inactivity, sort of 'gearing up to do another album' shows. Granted, there are far more live shows this time around than 1998, but it's still similar, and Hooky was very much a part of the 98 stuff...

Disagree that Hooky's shows are less of a cash in than what NO are doing now, playing entire albums in sequence (especially 30+ year old ones) seems a lot more brazenly nostalgic to me, especially given the merchandising that goes with them. At least NO have tweaked some of the arrangements for live, and are planning new material - that seems more in the spirit of the old NO than Hooky barking out Ian and Barney's vocals barely playing his bass, playing the same old setlist year in and out...just an opinion, mind
thanks 3 users thanked CTB for this useful post.
Andy on 06/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC), JG on 09/02/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#23 Posted : 06 February 2013 23:49:59(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Volturno, I don't know the band, but I find it hard to imagine Bernard or Steve's attitude was 'I'm so happy she left!' considering she had to leave only because of health issues in her family.
World Domination: Complete  
#24 Posted : 07 February 2013 00:24:48(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
I want some more Hooky DJ gigs - Hi
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
repro  
#25 Posted : 07 February 2013 01:11:15(UTC)
aysie

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 50 post(s)
If he hadn't been at school with Bernard, I don't think he would have got the gig, to be honest...
thanks 4 users thanked aysie for this useful post.
Housey on 07/02/2013(UTC), bloodynora on 07/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/02/2013(UTC), JG on 09/02/2013(UTC)