logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZASmusic  
#26 Posted : 21 January 2013 13:42:12(UTC)
ZASmusic

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
"You've got to take back what's righfully yours."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A-oHvI_T6k
thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/01/2013(UTC)
markreed  
#27 Posted : 21 January 2013 14:28:13(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
These songs are NOT rightfully his as he suggests. They are New Order songs. The Light did not have one fucking iota of input into the writing, recording, or release of any song they have been playing for the past four fucking years. The bassist-who-doesn't-play-much-bass had input in another band, but he does not own these songs, no matter what his misguided ego tells him.

If he wants to talk about what is "rightfully yours", that is, what songs are rightfully The Light's, he better pull his finger out and write and record SOMETHING with the band and play that live instead of imitating what he was doing 30 years ago. I was just warming to the idea of seeing him and then he shits on it again by making out that Barney, Steve, and Gillian are merely puppets that had nothing to do with the songs apart from doing as they were told by King Hooky. Prat. He was 25% of New Order. Not 100%.
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/01/2013(UTC)
sutty  
#28 Posted : 21 January 2013 22:40:47(UTC)
sutty

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
That right arm business is proper off-putting, Dalek ish! Evil

Seriously though, might be worth a look if they get over to Perth,WA.
Not gonna happen I don't think.
thanks 1 user thanked sutty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/01/2013(UTC)
El Jarvo  
#29 Posted : 22 January 2013 02:09:33(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
markreed wrote:
These songs are NOT rightfully his as he suggests. They are New Order songs. The Light did not have one fucking iota of input into the writing, recording, or release of any song they have been playing for the past four fucking years. The bassist-who-doesn't-play-much-bass had input in another band, but he does not own these songs, no matter what his misguided ego tells him.

If he wants to talk about what is "rightfully yours", that is, what songs are rightfully The Light's, he better pull his finger out and write and record SOMETHING with the band and play that live instead of imitating what he was doing 30 years ago. I was just warming to the idea of seeing him and then he shits on it again by making out that Barney, Steve, and Gillian are merely puppets that had nothing to do with the songs apart from doing as they were told by King Hooky. Prat. He was 25% of New Order. Not 100%.

Spectacular spat there Mark, based on a throwaway comment. Laugh

A comment indeed, which was made by another Mark - Hooky's lawyer seemingly - and repeated here by Hooky.

Who cares what the inference maybe is - are you honestly suggesting that Hooky is saying these songs are his, and just his? They're as much his as they are Gillian's or Stephen's or Barney's.

Edited by user 22 January 2013 02:19:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
Cranelane on 22/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 22/01/2013(UTC), markreed on 22/01/2013(UTC)
Coops  
#30 Posted : 22 January 2013 02:15:49(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
markreed wrote:

'Kin 'ell. Calm down.
thanks 4 users thanked Coops for this useful post.
Cranelane on 22/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 22/01/2013(UTC), markreed on 22/01/2013(UTC), Pyrtwist on 28/01/2013(UTC)
JG  
#31 Posted : 22 January 2013 02:24:49(UTC)
JG

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
El Jarvo wrote:
markreed wrote:

A comment indeed, which was made my another Mark - Hooky's lawyer seemingly - and repeated here by Hooky.

Who cares what the inference maybe is - are you honestly suggesting that Hooky is saying these songs are his, and just his? They're as much his as they are Gillian's or Stephen's or Barney's.

Given Hook's state of mind over the last few years, illustrated by comments like "when I wrote Unknown Pleasures", we really can't dismiss the possibility that he believes these songs are his more than anyone else. You just can't give him the benefit of the doubt like you would to any sane person.

What's interesting is he felt the need to mention his barrister/lawyer at a gig at all. In a way that makes it sound like he feels the need to justify what he's doing and that he's a bit insecure about it. Not really a typical on stage throw away type comment.
thanks 2 users thanked JG for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/01/2013(UTC), Pyrtwist on 28/01/2013(UTC)
World Domination: Complete  
#32 Posted : 22 January 2013 02:34:38(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
JG wrote:
El Jarvo wrote:
markreed wrote:

A comment indeed, which was made my another Mark - Hooky's lawyer seemingly - and repeated here by Hooky.

Given Hook's state of mind over the last few years, illustrated by comments like "when I wrote Unknown Pleasures", we really can't dismiss the possibility that he believes these songs are his more than anyone else. You just can't give him the benefit of the doubt like you would to any sane person.

What's interesting is he felt the need to mention his barrister/lawyer at a gig at all. In a way that makes it sound like he feels the need to justify what he's doing and that he's a bit insecure about it. Not really a typical on stage throw away type comment.

The lyrics he wrote on Closer are superb Cool
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 2 users thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/01/2013(UTC), Pyrtwist on 24/01/2013(UTC)
hibster  
#33 Posted : 22 January 2013 05:38:48(UTC)
hibster

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 20 post(s)
spooky wrote:
for these Light shows, does Hooky need a teleprompter for lyrics like Barney? when i saw Hooky for Revenge and Monaco, he did fine with the lyrics.

in cardiff he had a little music stand to the left of his mic
thanks 1 user thanked hibster for this useful post.
markreed  
#34 Posted : 22 January 2013 12:00:22(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
My. i was a wee bit grumpy last night.

Believe it or not, I don't have it in for Hooky. On the basis of what I have seen, The Light are a good band that play very good versions of these songs. However, anyone who think Hooky's vocals are always good really needs to use their ears. The version of Ultraviolence on YT has poor and off-key vocals. The songs from “Movement”, EGG, Temptation, etc., that I have seen he does a decent job of vocally.

I get no pleasure out of seeing Hooky deliver songs he struggles with vocally. It may have sounded fine in rehearsals, but nobody was at rehearsals and they aren't available. Rehearsals don't count for because generally, there's no audience and no one pays to attend.

Hooky is an OK singer, and he has a good range for some songs. The band seem to have done a faithful job of reproducing the sound and played well. I'd still much rather The Light play something they actually wrote, or even something from the Monaco / Revenge years as well.

Why is it so hard to understand that there's some validity in the two points?

1. Hooky ain't the best singer in the world and can't sing every song perfectly
2. I wish he'd write and record some new stuff instead of being his own tribute band – no matter how good they are.
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
Biginoil  
#35 Posted : 22 January 2013 13:08:57(UTC)
Biginoil

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 148 post(s)
markreed wrote:

He keeps saying something
But he's doing nothing...

Ner ner ner ner ner
thanks 1 user thanked Biginoil for this useful post.
Volturno  
#36 Posted : 22 January 2013 13:46:02(UTC)
Volturno

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
markreed wrote:
My. i was a wee bit grumpy last night.

Believe it or not, I don't have it in for Hooky. On the basis of what I have seen, The Light are a good band that play very good versions of these songs. However, anyone who think Hooky's vocals are always good really needs to use their ears. The version of Ultraviolence on YT has poor and off-key vocals. The songs from “Movement”, EGG, Temptation, etc., that I have seen he does a decent job of vocally.

I get no pleasure out of seeing Hooky deliver songs he struggles with vocally. It may have sounded fine in rehearsals, but nobody was at rehearsals and they aren't available. Rehearsals don't count for because generally, there's no audience and no one pays to attend.

Hooky is an OK singer, and he has a good range for some songs. The band seem to have done a faithful job of reproducing the sound and played well. I'd still much rather The Light play something they actually wrote, or even something from the Monaco / Revenge years as well.

Why is it so hard to understand that there's some validity in the two points?

1. Hooky ain't the best singer in the world and can't sing every song perfectly
2. I wish he'd write and record some new stuff instead of being his own tribute band – no matter how good they are.

He needs some practice and some techniques to prevent damage. He sounds much better in the Manchester Cathedral videos. Perhaps he does struggle to sing them, and by doing so, it may have hurt his vocal cords. Leave Me Alone sounds very good in Machester, but it feels like he couldn't do it in London.
Or maybe it was something else, we'll never know. He'll get better over time, and I look forward to future The Light gigs. I just hope he's not so orthodox with some later songs. Mr. Disco had wonderful basslines only played live, for example.
thanks 1 user thanked Volturno for this useful post.
Debaser  
#37 Posted : 22 January 2013 15:51:49(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3012 time(s) in 2076 post(s)
I don't agree with the decision to remove the "Be Warned" thread. Unless something is libellous or inclined to incite violence i don't believe in removing threads. I know the Chinese like to censor stuff but this ain't a Chinese forum.
That doesn't mean that I agree with the tone of that thread, and my own comments about the KOKO gig were I think, reasonable further back on this thread. But censorship isn't a path I would encourage anyone to go down...
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/01/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#38 Posted : 22 January 2013 16:19:16(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Debaser wrote:
I don't agree with the decision to remove the "Be Warned" thread. Unless something is libellous or inclined to incite violence i don't believe in removing threads. I know the Chinese like to censor stuff but this ain't a Chinese forum.
That doesn't mean that I agree with the tone of that thread, and my own comments about the KOKO gig were I think, reasonable further back on this thread. But censorship isn't a path I would encourage anyone to go down...

It wasn't quite censorship, because that thread was just another attempt by Mike to troll the boards. I'm not interested in The Light and I've disagreed a lot with what Hooky has said in interviews, but I don't make threads about it or act like an internet troll.

Edited by user 22 January 2013 16:20:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/01/2013(UTC), phil on 23/01/2013(UTC)
#39 Posted : 22 January 2013 22:31:23(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

No Comment
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#40 Posted : 23 January 2013 03:01:15(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Debaser wrote:

Ah, the good old "if you lock a thread we're sliding into Commie territory" argument. It was locked because it fell under the following sections of the NOOL Code of Conduct which Spotnick (the owner of the forums you're using) set up:

Quote:
Disruption…Posts which intend to disrupt the topic of conversation or steer the topic away from the focus of the forum and related news. Disruption can include harassment, multiple posting of the same post and posting completely off topic messages.

Spamming…Spamming is the multiple posting of an identical or similar post on one or more of our Forums.

None of Mike's negative comments about The Light in this particular thread have been touched, that's his right to post but we don't need multiple separate threads slagging them off.

Anyway this is the last day I'll have to deal with that fucking thread because it's a thankless task as I always knew it would be.
thanks 3 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/01/2013(UTC), Eimi on 23/01/2013(UTC), phil on 23/01/2013(UTC)
#41 Posted : 23 January 2013 04:33:22(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

NotAMod wrote:
Debaser wrote:

Ah, the good old "if you lock a thread we're sliding into Commie territory" argument. It was locked because it fell under the following sections of the NOOL Code of Conduct which Spotnick (the owner of the forums you're using) set up:

Quote:
Disruption…Posts which intend to disrupt the topic of conversation or steer the topic away from the focus of the forum and related news. Disruption can include harassment, multiple posting of the same post and posting completely off topic messages.

Spamming…Spamming is the multiple posting of an identical or similar post on one or more of our Forums.

None of Mike's negative comments about The Light in this particular thread have been touched, that's his right to post but we don't need multiple separate threads slagging them off.

Anyway this is the last day I'll have to deal with that fucking thread because it's a thankless task as I always knew it would be.

I have nothing else to say n the subject Smile
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
Volturno  
#42 Posted : 24 January 2013 15:48:09(UTC)
Volturno

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Volturno for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2013(UTC)
Coops  
#43 Posted : 25 January 2013 03:10:08(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Volturno wrote:
http://www.artrocker.tv/live/article/peter-hook-and-the-light-koko

More proof that Hooky doesnt need to be all bollocky in interviews, the gig reviews are pretty much always positive.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2013(UTC)
spooky  
#44 Posted : 26 January 2013 22:54:54(UTC)
spooky

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 63 post(s)
hibster wrote:
spooky wrote:
for these Light shows, does Hooky need a teleprompter for lyrics like Barney? when i saw Hooky for Revenge and Monaco, he did fine with the lyrics.

in cardiff he had a little music stand to the left of his mic

well i guess that's better than having a big music stand to place your lyric book on like Mr. John Lydon does. *sighs*
thanks 1 user thanked spooky for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2013(UTC)
Debaser  
#45 Posted : 27 January 2013 11:51:33(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3012 time(s) in 2076 post(s)
Just spotted this review in an Evening Standard i was chucking out. Spot the mistake. Twice. Wry comment from the punter correcting the reviewer underneath.
Standard review

Edited by user 27 January 2013 11:56:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Andy on 27/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 27/01/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#46 Posted : 28 January 2013 13:15:56(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Money Shot, Corruption, and Lies.
thanks 2 users thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/01/2013(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 29/01/2013(UTC)
Low Life  
#47 Posted : 29 January 2013 06:13:41(UTC)
Low Life

Man

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 58 post(s)
UpDownTurnAround wrote:
I want to like this, but Hooky's huffing and puffing, vocals and stage presence makes me cringe.

On the other hand, The Light's instrumentation is once again perfect.

I'm in the same boat here, just started watching the Temptation clip, my favourite song of all time, and it's all good until the MWUTPBINO opens his gob. Eek

I then had to switch it off for fear of ruining my many happy memories of Fac.63 for ever.

The music sounds good, though.
thanks 2 users thanked Low Life for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/01/2013(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 29/01/2013(UTC)