logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JG  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2013 03:11:25(UTC)
JG

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Well I received loads of texts and tweets from those lucky enough to grab a ticket for the main event last night. So thought there should be a thread to pay homage to our Bass guru.

Please, lay your tributes here.
thanks 2 users thanked JG for this useful post.
Baggie Boiler on 18/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
El Jarvo  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2013 03:36:08(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Are you two a tag-team?
thanks 4 users thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
Biginoil on 18/01/2013(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 18/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2013(UTC), NotAMod on 18/01/2013(UTC)
gamics  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2013 05:50:25(UTC)
gamics

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Well, whatever people's views on the appropriateness of it, I thought the gig was great. From In A Lonely Place, through Movement, Mesh, Cries and Whispers, Procession, EGG, PCL, Hurt, Temptation and Blue Monday it was all pretty much nailed on. Hooky threw a few vitriolic swipes at his ex-colleagues by changing a few lyrics...'I'll bet you hate this' was noticeable as was 'This is the FIRST time' (instead of Last time) so expect a longer tour of early NO material in 2013. It's a shame he and Bernard cannot accept what each other now wants to do and just get on with it but maybe that's what adds a spark to both of them.

It was brilliant hearing a lot of the old songs live for the first time in many years and Hooky has worked on his vocals. No he's not what we are used to but so what? I'm happy to have paid and also shelled out for the downloads of his UP gigs.
thanks 1 user thanked gamics for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2013(UTC)
Hull Pete  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2013 06:06:50(UTC)
Hull Pete

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Pas a devout NO fan I felt duty bound to see Hooky in action. The music was fantastic and it was great to hear the old stuff live again, the renditions were cool BUT..... Hooky's vocals ARRGGHH! Just don't like his delivery - all sounds a bit too earnest. It was like an actor reading the words of a script rather than "acting" them. As the woman next to me texted to er mate "Peter Hook thinks he's Ian Curtis".

I expected his voice to be more suited to Movement, but I enjoyed zpCL and the singles more. Cool to hear Temptation again and hadn't seen it coming.

Couldn't believe some people were saying it was better than the new New Order - no chance.

I'm not going to get into the "should he even be oing it" debate, overall I'm glad I went great tunes pity about the singer.

Bumped into Alex on the tube back to High Barnet - get in touch, I want my Vikings badge :-)
thanks 2 users thanked Hull Pete for this useful post.
Eimi on 18/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2013(UTC)
79order  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2013 14:00:38(UTC)
79order

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Methinks thats the first time ive heard Hooky play in A lonely place, and very good it was too.

Movement live is far superior to the recorded Album , and last night it was Trance inducing so intense ,The rawness of the album coming through. Nice to hear mesh and cries and whispers.

Hooky said he was claiming back what was rightfully his,mmm partly his.

Power corruption and lies was good, he has worked on his vocals and came accross, some moaned about the high note range , but in fairness we know his limitations as a vocalist.Seemed to be playing more BASS then when he did the Joy Division stuff.

Everything gone green was just ace , crowd go mental over Temptation , no Love will tear us apart .

Did he pull it off, yup and id see it again , and again.

Crickey i wasnt the only noooler on the tube to High Barnet laST NIGHTEek

you get these words wrong

thanks 1 user thanked 79order for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2013(UTC)
Debaser  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2013 15:00:30(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3012 time(s) in 2076 post(s)
I went as a last minute decision, partly influenced by the Welsh review that Cranelane posted on another thread. (Gig wasn't sold out, so the touts could be convinced to undercut the door price).
By the time Hooky & Co took the stage, the main floor was pretty rammed. The first thing he did was to thank people for turning up and offered to kiss everyone down the front.
I agree with the above comments about Movement live. It captivated me more than the record ever has. There was a moment during Truth when Hook and son exchanged glances as if to say: I think this is working.

For those who want the full album experience you could do a lot worse than this. There was only one song where I thought Hook's vocals were really lacking: Leave Me Alone. It sounded like he was just singing one note. Maybe that's why the sound-man had his vox low in the mix for that one. Overall the vibe of the gig was definitely about reproducing the songs (albums, singles, b sides) as closely as possible to the originals. Whether or not that floats your boat is, I guess, a personal decision. And before someone points it out, yes I know; Hooks vocals were the one bit that didn't sound the same as the original recordings.
Although I was expecting Temptation, for some reason I'd forgotten about EGG. I don't think I've ever seen NO do EGG live, so that, along with non album tracks like Cries and Whispers gave the gig goer something different from the recent NO gigs.

One thing I thought they could drop from the setlist was The Beach. It was a sort of re-mixed/re-edited version of the BM B-side performed by...an apple Mac as far as I could see. The band had walked off and The Beach came on. Some people were probably thinking: Is this how BM is being presented tonight? Well no; we eventually got BM in full (band on stage). Considering we also had the PCL version of 586, the Beach was I think, unnecessary.
The moshpit went mad for Temptation, and surpisingly for BM. I expected dancing rather than moshing during that one and now I'm feeling a little bruised!
Here's the setlist.

Edited by user 19 January 2013 02:28:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Cranelane on 19/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2013 00:25:53(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Digi Mike Le Creuset Binoche wrote:
When I first read this I thought it said 'Hooky is KOKO the Clown'

Me too.
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2013(UTC)
JoanneB  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2013 00:40:01(UTC)
JoanneB

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Sounds like it was a great gig. Would've love to have been there but living in Norfolk and being rather snowed in at the mo put paid to that. Hope all that went enjoyed it. Hope NO do some more gigs soon. Also caught Hooky in November at Norwich Waterfront performing Unknown Pleasures. Was really enjoyable and would like to experience him live again.
thanks 1 user thanked JoanneB for this useful post.
Cranelane  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2013 02:00:57(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
I have had a look at some of the youtube clips of the Koko gig, its ironic that Hooky struggles most with his voice when singing the songs from PCL which is the album where Bernard really found his voice..

He copes better on the tracks from Movement and also Cries And Whispers, EGG etc..

I see that HURT is also on the setlist..
thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#10 Posted : 19 January 2013 02:22:08(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Looking forward to Captain Solo's Manc gig report ... Ha!
thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
markreed  
#11 Posted : 19 January 2013 03:12:33(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
I could be tempted to go and see this if he comes around again. However, I still think Hooky singing is a bad idea on some of these songs, an I would much rather have him play stuff from all his career - on the other hand, my temptation (badumtish!) on Thursday was offset by being snowed in anyway.
thanks 2 users thanked markreed for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2013(UTC), Biginoil on 22/01/2013(UTC)
Cranelane  
#12 Posted : 19 January 2013 10:20:39(UTC)
Cranelane

surface  
#13 Posted : 19 January 2013 10:52:18(UTC)
surface

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:

Sorry but I think that that is shite - no passion, patchy musicians (apart from Hooky) and quite frankly a joke.

Makes you realise that if the words don't come from your heart and mind you cannot deliver.
thanks 1 user thanked surface for this useful post.
Bill  
#14 Posted : 19 January 2013 11:09:54(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
I just don't like his singing. Seen him sing twice ( with Revenge in 91 and Monaco in 98) and it just gives me a frickin headache
thanks 2 users thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2013(UTC), Nick King on 19/01/2013(UTC)
Cranelane  
#15 Posted : 19 January 2013 13:48:56(UTC)
Cranelane

This must be have been one of the gig highlights,
I think the drummer is doing a pretty good job here and Hookys vocals come across better here than on other songs that I have viewed,
I also checked out his take on Ultraviolence and he had a hard time with that one.

Edited by user 19 January 2013 13:49:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

alanp  
#16 Posted : 19 January 2013 14:15:21(UTC)
alanp

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Just to say and i know not everyone will agree but really enjoyed the gig, great to hear both albums and associated singles certainly put a smile on my face, I thought Hooky done a great job even though you can see he is not totally comfortable being the singer all the time but on each gig i see him he gets better couldn't fault the band a great sound
Good to see people all around with smiles on there faces and moving about great vibe
IT was well worth the 100+ mile drive in crap weather and the 3am arrival time at home in snowy Norfolk
The only sad thing is it makes you wish it was the complete NO line up but as we know this looks very unlikely ever to happen but thank you Hooky for playing these songs it was great to hear them live especially some for the first time
thanks 1 user thanked alanp for this useful post.
ersatz01  
#17 Posted : 19 January 2013 14:44:30(UTC)
ersatz01

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:
I have had a look at some of the youtube clips of the Koko gig, its ironic that Hooky struggles most with his voice when singing the songs from PCL which is the album where Bernard really found his voice...

Man, he's going to end up losing his voice by insisting on 'singing' (really, screaming) in the original key of these songs, but whatever, I don't really care.

His right arm is getting even more crazier too.
thanks 1 user thanked ersatz01 for this useful post.
spooky  
#18 Posted : 19 January 2013 15:07:12(UTC)
spooky

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 63 post(s)
for these Light shows, does Hooky need a teleprompter for lyrics like Barney? when i saw Hooky for Revenge and Monaco, he did fine with the lyrics.
thanks 2 users thanked spooky for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2013(UTC), Jeffari-al-Texani on 27/01/2013(UTC)
www.neworderweb.net  
#19 Posted : 19 January 2013 17:15:24(UTC)
www.neworderweb.net

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Constantly pestering for another Manc gig so who knows.....

#Theykeepcallingme

Hi
thanks 1 user thanked www.neworderweb.net for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/01/2013(UTC)
Nick King  
#20 Posted : 19 January 2013 19:12:01(UTC)
Nick King

Man

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Ultraviolence:

Leave Me Alone:

Cool

Edited by user 19 January 2013 19:13:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Nick King for this useful post.
Sage_ on 20/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/01/2013(UTC), 79order on 20/01/2013(UTC)
Jake A  
#21 Posted : 20 January 2013 01:28:47(UTC)
Jake A

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 35 post(s)
ersatz01 wrote:
Cranelane wrote:
I have had a look at some of the youtube clips of the Koko gig, its ironic that Hooky struggles most with his voice when singing the songs from PCL which is the album where Bernard really found his voice...

Man, he's going to end up losing his voice by insisting on 'singing' (really, screaming) in the original key of these songs, but whatever, I don't really care.

Its like watching Michael J Fox play bass................
thanks 2 users thanked Jake A for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/01/2013(UTC), ersatz01 on 20/01/2013(UTC)
NotAMod  
#22 Posted : 20 January 2013 11:07:14(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1040 time(s) in 655 post(s)
Had a few days to think about the Koko gig so here's my best shot at an impartial review.

First off, it's been said before but The Light are a tight backing band; they did the music justice and had obviously done their homework on the various sounds and arrangements for each song. Personally, I can take or leave Movement which is a divisive album amongst the fan-base; some think it's a bit of a funeral dirge while others like the immersive trance-like thing it's got going on. I'm sort of between the two camps on that one but I did enjoy Truth and Chosen Time. As the vocals on Movement are obviously very Curtis-esque, for the most part Hooky managed them very well. I watched Dreams Never End while the version from "Academy" replayed in my mind, just couldn't help it. Procession was another high point, everything seemed to come together for that one and it sounded great with that low bassline rumbling around the venue.

Unfortunately once PC&L arrived and the songs required a higher vocal register was when things went a bit awry. The music remained solid but unfortunately the vocals were overstretched; Ultraviolence and Leave Me Alone particularly suffered. In fairness, Bernard is hardly vocalist of the century (shouty Krafty anyone?) so it's not such a big deal however those songs would definitely have benefited from someone more suitable singing them. If anything, that would allow Hooky get back to playing bass full time which is the reason 99% of us were there. By the end I don't think most of the audience cared about the vox, the reaction was admittedly rapturous by the time Temptation/Blue Monday arrived with a beaming Hooky stepping onto the PA in his trademark pose.

It wasn't perfect but had some good moments and I'm glad I saw it at least once before forming an opinion.

As with UP, I can't say I'd rush out to see the exact same set again but overall I'd give it about 7 out of 10.
thanks 3 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Nick King on 20/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/01/2013(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 22/01/2013(UTC)
ersatz01  
#23 Posted : 20 January 2013 11:07:38(UTC)
ersatz01

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Jake A wrote:
ersatz01 wrote:
Cranelane wrote:

Its like watching Michael J Fox play bass................

Yep, he should seriously get that checked out.
thanks 1 user thanked ersatz01 for this useful post.
JoanneB  
#24 Posted : 20 January 2013 11:57:59(UTC)
JoanneB

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
alan wrote:
Just to say and i know not everyone will agree but really enjoyed the gig, great to hear both albums and associated singles certainly put a smile on my face, I thought Hooky done a great job even though you can see he is not totally comfortable being the singer all the time but on each gig i see him he gets better couldn't fault the band a great sound
Good to see people all around with smiles on there faces and moving about great vibe
IT was well worth the 100+ mile drive in crap weather and the 3am arrival time at home in snowy Norfolk
The only sad thing is it makes you wish it was the complete NO line up but as we know this looks very unlikely ever to happen but thank you Hooky for playing these songs it was great to hear them live especially some for the first time

You managed to get there from Norfolk? Lucky you. Would've like to have gone. Unfortunately I'm skint following Christmas. Well was skint before Christmas too - lol anyway good to hear people enjoyed it. I would sooooooo love to see the original line up together again, yeah and pigs might fly!Frown
thanks 1 user thanked JoanneB for this useful post.
UpDownTurnAround  
#25 Posted : 20 January 2013 15:03:20(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround

Man

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 132 post(s)
I want to like this, but Hooky's huffing and puffing, vocals and stage presence makes me cringe.

On the other hand, The Light's instrumentation is once again perfect.
thanks 2 users thanked UpDownTurnAround for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/01/2013(UTC), Biginoil on 22/01/2013(UTC)