logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

23 Pages«<89101112>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tracey  
#226 Posted : 10 November 2022 13:24:56(UTC)
Tracey

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
I have mixed feelings about the Pumped Full of Drugs show being included (I have the Japanese DVD). While I welcome any improvements made to the audio/visual quality, it's not really that great of a performance. I'd really hoped the missing songs from the gig would be included (The Perfect Kiss, Age of Consent and Temptation). In addition, they played the same venue the day before, and I'd always imagined footage existed from a dry run of the production. Nothing emerges here.

I agree...if the video footage of the three tracks omitted from the original PFD release exists, this seems like the perfect opportunity to finally make it available. Disappointed that it's not included.

Perhaps JJ can provide some insight/knowledge on this?

Nonetheless, this looks like an excellent release. Looking forward to it!

thanks 1 user thanked Tracey for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
Johnny James  
#227 Posted : 10 November 2022 14:36:39(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tracey Go to Quoted Post
I have mixed feelings about the Pumped Full of Drugs show being included (I have the Japanese DVD). While I welcome any improvements made to the audio/visual quality, it's not really that great of a performance. I'd really hoped the missing songs from the gig would be included (The Perfect Kiss, Age of Consent and Temptation). In addition, they played the same venue the day before, and I'd always imagined footage existed from a dry run of the production. Nothing emerges here.

I agree...if the video footage of the three tracks omitted from the original PFD release exists, this seems like the perfect opportunity to finally make it available. Disappointed that it's not included.

I was on the hunt for those tracks, I got multiple U-Matics transferred that looked hopeful, all had the exact same edited version.
thanks 9 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Debaser on 10/11/2022(UTC), negative1 on 10/11/2022(UTC), Fotz on 11/11/2022(UTC), Mr. Disco on 11/11/2022(UTC), In A Noisy Place on 11/11/2022(UTC), Andy on 11/11/2022(UTC), Like No Other on 11/11/2022(UTC), Tracey on 11/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
Debaser  
#228 Posted : 10 November 2022 18:22:58(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post

But i will pre-order that 5000 limited edition of TPK with the mirrored sleeve and clear vinyl. The mirror image sleeve was something Saville originally envisaged for it ? Didn't know that. Or is that a story that's been cobbled together for a clever marketing ploy to get us to buy the limited edition?

From reading this...

Quote:
“The mirror finish for The Perfect Kiss sleeve was the idea at the time (1985) that unfortunately was not realised. I have wanted to see it ever since. The original concept was intended to evoke the reflective glamour of a lipstick (re Perfect Kiss) in a minimal / pop art style. The Perfect Kiss in this form will be transformative and a must-have for fans and collectors alike”.

...I think it's pretty clear that Saville wants the owner of the mirror sleeve to use it as a mirror and "transform" themselves by applying lipstick.
Maybe y'all could post pictures of yourselves here with lippy on, once you've received your 12"s!

In other news, they've done a little advert. And I'm a sucker for adverts with NO music in them. Especially if the ad is actually for NO (obvs)!

Looks good if you go full screen.

thanks 4 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
negative1 on 10/11/2022(UTC), Fotz on 11/11/2022(UTC), Like No Other on 11/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
In A Noisy Place  
#229 Posted : 11 November 2022 06:46:48(UTC)
In A Noisy Place

Was thanked: 445 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

Incidentally, I tried to sign into my NOStore account and couldn't (password invalid). Tried to reset, but the necessary email didn't arrive. Seems weird, as I'm sure my password is correct.
Wonder if the Store is having problems.

Anyway, TPK Crystal variant ordered! Hi

my account and password didn't work either. no way to recover.

created a new account.

later

Same here ! Didn't receive any confirmation email after ordering...no view either on my placed order yesterday... Skeptic

thanks 2 users thanked In A Noisy Place for this useful post.
negative1 on 11/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
negative1  
#230 Posted : 11 November 2022 08:11:29(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: In A Noisy Place Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post

Incidentally, I tried to sign into my NOStore account and couldn't (password invalid). Tried to reset, but the necessary email didn't arrive. Seems weird, as I'm sure my password is correct.
Wonder if the Store is having problems.

Anyway, TPK Crystal variant ordered! Hi

my account and password didn't work either. no way to recover.

created a new account.

later

Same here ! Didn't receive any confirmation email after ordering...no view either on my placed order yesterday... Skeptic

hmm, check with the store.

i did get a confirmation email.

also my credit card was charged, so i know that part went through to.

later
thanks 2 users thanked negative1 for this useful post.
In A Noisy Place on 11/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
50poundnote  
#231 Posted : 11 November 2022 08:26:21(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
Johnny, can you explain the decision not to include the finished vocal version of Let's Go?

I have a cleaned up version that sounds fantastic considering it's sourced from an old cassette. Was it left off the album at the last minute to 1. make room for an edit of The Perfect Kiss, or 2. because it sounds too similar to Sooner Than You Think?

Edited by user 11 November 2022 08:31:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Like No Other on 11/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
50poundnote  
#232 Posted : 11 November 2022 08:27:56(UTC)
50poundnote

Originally Posted by: In A Noisy Place Go to Quoted Post

I received a confirmation email for both my separate orders. Please check your credit card to see if the charge went through. If it didn't you may need to place your order again.
In A Noisy Place on 11/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
Fotz  
#233 Posted : 11 November 2022 08:47:35(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
On DVD 2, why are Thieves Like Us, Temptation and Confusion placed as bonus tracks at the end of the Leuven video rather than their original place in the set that night? For example, TLU was 4th song at that gig.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Andy  
#234 Posted : 11 November 2022 10:13:48(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post

I was on the hunt for those tracks, I got multiple U-Matics transferred that looked hopeful, all had the exact same edited version.

Thank you for the reply.

Factory!

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#235 Posted : 11 November 2022 10:17:31(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
On DVD 2, why are Thieves Like Us, Temptation and Confusion placed as bonus tracks at the end of the Leuven video rather than their original place in the set that night?
For example, TLU was 4th song at that gig.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the original broadcast.
As i understand it, the original 'Rox Box' broadcast on 31/12/85 didn't include Temptation. Then, a few days/weeks later in January '86,'Rox Box' broadcast both Temptation and Thieves Like Us. I guess, this was to show footage that they'd had to cut out of the original New Year's Eve footage for (presumably) time constraints. However, I think the original broadcast had TLU included, so maybe they had a few minutes to use up, so showed TLU alongside that 'missing' track (Temptation).

So, maybe these two tracks were together on a different tape etc. JJ might be able to clarify.
I guess Confusion is a bonus as it hasn't been shown at all and maybe they wanted to show that this version of the Leuven gig is different from other showings.

Incidentally, I've never been 100% sure that both TLU and Temptation were shown on the later programme.
I have a trade list from back in the day that states both tracks were broadcast on that later show.
I definitely know Temptation was as I have a copy of that track which ends in a clip of a woman dressed as a chicken (!). I guess she was a presenter; possibly the clip was shown in a tea-time' (i.e. kids) slot. The main Leuven broadcast (on NYE) ends in an advert with a family running to catch a plane/train, so Temptation was certainly shown on a different programme to the main broadcast.

Whilst we're asking JJ questions, could he perhaps answer the following:

1) What the 'TV Pitch' means in respect of Love Vigilantes;
2) Based on the store description which lists 'a BBC session and three tracks performed at the Hacienda in 1985.', does that mean that the25/08/84 session is on it and just not listed? Or was it pulled and the contents rejigged?

I know I mentioned these before, but this thread has moved on quite a bit since then (nice to see a flurry of activity on the boards!)

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz on 11/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
Tracey  
#236 Posted : 11 November 2022 10:26:24(UTC)
Tracey

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)

Thanks for making the effort to locate the omitted tracks and for your reply on this. It's always interesting to have additional context/background on what goes into putting these types of releases together.

Edited by user 11 November 2022 10:26:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Tracey for this useful post.
Andy on 11/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
Fotz  
#237 Posted : 11 November 2022 10:45:20(UTC)
Fotz

On DVD 2, why are Thieves Like Us, Temptation and Confusion placed as bonus tracks at the end of the Leuven video rather than their original place in the set that night?
For example, TLU was 4th song at that gig.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the original broadcast.
As i understand it, the original 'Rox Box' broadcast on 31/12/85 didn't include Temptation. Then, a few days/weeks later in January '86,'Rox Box' broadcast both Temptation and Thieves Like Us. I guess, this was to show footage that they'd had to cut out of the original New Year's Eve footage for (presumably) time constraints. However, I think the original broadcast had TLU included, so maybe they had a few minutes to use up, so showed TLU alongside that 'missing' track (Temptation).

So, maybe these two tracks were together on a different tape etc. JJ might be able to clarify.
I guess Confusion is a bonus as it hasn't been shown at all and maybe they wanted to show that this version of the Leuven gig is different from other showings.

Incidentally, I've never been 100% sure that both TLU and Temptation were shown on the later programme.
I have a trade list from back in the day that states both tracks were broadcast on that later show.
I definitely know Temptation was as I have a copy of that track which ends in a clip of a woman dressed as a chicken (!). I guess she was a presenter; possibly the clip was shown in a tea-time' (i.e. kids) slot. The main Leuven broadcast (on NYE) ends in an advert with a family running to catch a plane/train, so Temptation was certainly shown on a different programme to the main broadcast.

Thanks perspex and i think you may be absolutely correct, it has to do with the broadcasts and which tracks were originally aired and which others at a later date. I have an old VHS i obtained somewhere somehow in the late 80s of the Rox Box tv broadcast and i vaguely recall Thieves Like Us is on it in the correct place in the set.But to check and confirm this i'd have to dig out my old video player, rig it all up and play the tape, that's assuming it's still playable, it has been on the shelf for many years.I have the Stingray Qello thing ( i think you sent me it a year or two back, perspex) on my laptop and just checked and Thieves and Temptation are tagged on the end.Will be good to see Confusion for the first time from that gig.

Amazon UK has the box at £143 , so not much difference from the New Order store, a few quid cheaper but i'm still going to wait til nearer the release.

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
50poundnote  
#238 Posted : 11 November 2022 10:54:35(UTC)
50poundnote

The band just posted a link to The Perfect Kiss on Twitter and Instagram, and they're using the sleeve I build in Photoshop for Recycle. That feels very validating! :)

Edited by user 11 November 2022 11:19:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Andy on 11/11/2022(UTC), Like No Other on 11/11/2022(UTC), negative1 on 11/11/2022(UTC), M1 on 14/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
Andy  
#239 Posted : 11 November 2022 12:06:20(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post
The band just posted a link to The Perfect Kiss on Twitter and Instagram, and they're using the sleeve I build in Photoshop for Recycle. That feels very validating! :)

The work of their Social Media Manager has been patchy at best. But I classify that as a win!
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
dallywhitty  
#240 Posted : 11 November 2022 12:28:34(UTC)
dallywhitty

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Man, that writing session recording of The Perfect Kiss is a banger and a half. I do think the price of the set is a bit steep, but whatever, I'm a NO slut so it'll be mine day one.
thanks 2 users thanked dallywhitty for this useful post.
Like No Other  
#241 Posted : 11 November 2022 14:37:00(UTC)
Like No Other

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Wow what a great couple of days, loved reading all the comments it’s all part of the fun of a new release - Boxset looks visually fantastic!

A few thoughts / queries:

Perfect Kiss Writing Session - imo similar to some of the writing tracks off PCL, fairly unrecognisable after the first intro - still can’t stop listening to it though!

T-Shirt - What’s the material like of the NO T-Shirts nowadays, bought a couple in the past and they’ve been a bit thin and the neck seems a bit big. Like the design so very tempted!

Looking forward to the video interviews with the band members. Do you think we’ll get more episodes of the excellent ‘Transmissions’ podcast?

Finally any idea when Brotherhood will be out? Only joking JJ!! Laugh
thanks 3 users thanked Like No Other for this useful post.
Fotz on 11/11/2022(UTC), negative1 on 11/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
Fotz  
#242 Posted : 11 November 2022 14:43:35(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Like No Other Go to Quoted Post
Wow what a great couple of days, loved reading all the comments it’s all part of the fun of a new release -

Yep, it's all good fun discussing and debating . Takes the mind off the shitshow that is life and the world right now.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Like No Other on 11/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
50poundnote  
#243 Posted : 11 November 2022 15:41:54(UTC)
50poundnote

I may be mistaken. I've never seen the sleeve presented online as such a clean, uniform image outside Recycle, but there are subtle differences. I'm thinking they used whatever digital file was created for the reissue. Still looks amazing.
Johnny James  
#244 Posted : 11 November 2022 23:03:24(UTC)
Johnny James

Johnny, can you explain the decision not to include the finished vocal version of Let's Go?

I have a cleaned up version that sounds fantastic considering it's sourced from an old cassette. Was it left off the album at the last minute to 1. make room for an edit of The Perfect Kiss, or 2. because it sounds too similar to Sooner Than You Think?

I guess the easiest explanation is that the instrumental had more chance of getting through, rejected vocals are not particularly favoured.
As you say, there is a pretty clear leaked version out there, so now you get a completely unheard instrumental instead.

thanks 5 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Andy on 11/11/2022(UTC), Jul on 12/11/2022(UTC), negative1 on 12/11/2022(UTC), In A Noisy Place on 13/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
Johnny James  
#245 Posted : 11 November 2022 23:12:46(UTC)
Johnny James

On DVD 2, why are Thieves Like Us, Temptation and Confusion placed as bonus tracks at the end of the Leuven video rather than their original place in the set that night? For example, TLU was 4th song at that gig.

I did really want to re-edit the whole thing and restore the correct order, but we only got the footage with hours to spare before deadline, so it was done this way instead as it was the simplest and quickest solution. I did do some minor work on the bonus tracks (resynching desk audio on Confusion, as we'd already had that).

Also, Confusion is from a live edit with a different picture quality so it would have looked a little odd inserted into the middle of the rest, especially given that the picture breaks up a few times.

From what we received, it does look very much like TLU and Temptation were a seperate broadcast at the time of 'what you missed' from the main show.

thanks 7 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Andy on 11/11/2022(UTC), In A Noisy Place on 12/11/2022(UTC), Fotz on 12/11/2022(UTC), Jul on 12/11/2022(UTC), Tracey on 12/11/2022(UTC), negative1 on 12/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
Johnny James  
#246 Posted : 11 November 2022 23:22:29(UTC)
Johnny James

2) Based on the store description which lists 'a BBC session and three tracks performed at the Hacienda in 1985.', does that mean that the25/08/84 session is on it and just not listed? Or was it pulled and the contents rejigged?

I know I mentioned these before, but this thread has moved on quite a bit since then (nice to see a flurry of activity on the boards!)

1. Love Vigilantes Instrumental seems to be a specially created edit done for the 1986 world cup, so we gave it a name that hints at the football aspect. I've no idea if it was ever used at the time, perhaps someone knows?

2. That Rock Around The Clock performance was mooted, so the text is probably a remnant of when it was on the list. It was dropped mainly because there is no master at the BBC, so all we could offer would be a VHS transfer with better audio from the radio, and there are versions like that floating about already.
thanks 9 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Andy on 11/11/2022(UTC), perspexorange on 12/11/2022(UTC), In A Noisy Place on 12/11/2022(UTC), Fotz on 12/11/2022(UTC), Jul on 12/11/2022(UTC), Tracey on 12/11/2022(UTC), negative1 on 12/11/2022(UTC), M1 on 14/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
perspexorange  
#247 Posted : 12 November 2022 00:15:58(UTC)
perspexorange

Thanks JJ. Great to have your input here.

I echo other people’s comments on here in thanking you and others in bringing us such a gorgeous looking set, jam-packed with great contents. It looks like it’ll be a beauty.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Debaser  
#248 Posted : 12 November 2022 01:29:42(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)

1. Love Vigilantes Instrumental seems to be a specially created edit done for the 1986 world cup, so we gave it a name that hints at the football aspect. I've no idea if it was ever used at the time, perhaps someone knows?

Crumbs this is news to me. I do recall in the past couple of years hearing Love Vig used in a trailer on BBC News Channel (!) for one of their own segments/shows. At the time I assumed they just made their own edit of the non-vocal sections. Now I'm wondering if they might have had this in the library...

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotz  
#249 Posted : 12 November 2022 02:16:06(UTC)
Fotz

I did really want to re-edit the whole thing and restore the correct order, but we only got the footage with hours to spare before deadline, so it was done this way instead as it was the simplest and quickest solution. I did do some minor work on the bonus tracks (resynching desk audio on Confusion, as we'd already had that).

Also, Confusion is from a live edit with a different picture quality so it would have looked a little odd inserted into the middle of the rest, especially given that the picture breaks up a few times.

From what we received, it does look very much like TLU and Temptation were a seperate broadcast at the time of 'what you missed' from the main show.

Fantastic.That all makes sense now.Many thanks

Woah! This possibly has solved a mystery for me that dates right back to the 1986 World Cup.

On the opening day of that WC, i was at work (i worked in a shop at the time) as it was a Saturday ( 31st May, i looked it up) and my colleague nipped home for his lunch hour.When he came back he told me he'd been watching the build up on tv for the start of the tournament and the opening match and said, in a football action montage they'd used as soundtrack an "Acoustic version " of Love Vigilantes.I said what do you mean? And he simply said it was Love Vigilantes but a different version, kind of an "Acoustic" version.I didn't and have never known if he had just mistaken it for the album version or a completely different song and as i hadn't seen it or recorded the programme i never knew for sure.

I don't know if it was the ITV coverage my colleague had been watching or BBC but if anyone hunts for it , it was 31st May 86, the World Cup opening day stuff on tv.

Edit: just wondering, it may have been a special World Cup Football Focus as it was lunchtime ( as i said , my colleague had nipped home for lunch) .If it was ITV i guess it might have been On The Ball with Saint and Greavsie.If it was BBC it would've been Football Focus.

Edited by user 12 November 2022 02:45:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Jul on 12/11/2022(UTC), Like No Other on 12/11/2022(UTC), M1 on 14/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)
perspexorange  
#250 Posted : 12 November 2022 02:17:51(UTC)
perspexorange

Yeah. News to me too.
There seemed to be a real NO fan in the BBC Sounds department in the late 80s/early 90s, as their music seemed to be used for a whole host of things (I remember once hearing the instrumental of TLU on a programme showing whales swimming in the ocean). I always assumed that this person was making edits etc. Maybe the band were supplying things like this to the Beeb.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
negative1 on 12/11/2022(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/11/2022(UTC)