logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

22 Pages«<1718192021>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NotAMod  
#451 Posted : 05 October 2020 08:41:10(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GotBlueEyes Go to Quoted Post
The authoring on the DVDs seems weird - trying to rip the videos for my media library and Handbrake doesn't seem to recognise any of the extras on DVD1 (just shows two titles - the Hacienda and the Kilkenny gigs) and DVD2 doesn't show the Video586 chapter

Seems like MakeMKV works better and picks them up, but it's unusual for Handbrake not to work first time

I use DVD Audio Extractor, which hasn't steered me wrong archiving DVD audio so far. In DAE, the layout of the discs match broadly what is on the box with the exception of DVD2, where the Hac '83 gig is "first" Title followed by the Play At Home chapter. Video/Primitive 586 is a 9 and a half minute chapter at the very end of the disc.

Can't praise DVD1 highly enough as all the audio is well mastered, not too loud or quiet. Just like the Movement DVD. I did notice the longer Hac '83 gig on DVD2 has audio where one channel is louder than the other and it's a bit quieter. Perhaps that was all they could do with the source material so that's not a criticism. There are more than enough goodies on the first DVD to make up for it, not to mention Play At Home itself.
thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/10/2020(UTC), GotBlueEyes on 05/10/2020(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#452 Posted : 06 October 2020 03:40:39(UTC)
Mr Discography

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post

17. Blue Monday (Instrumental Outtake) 7:19
i overlaid this over 'the beach', and they matched each other pretty well. so this might have been an earlier take (or exactly the same), i'm sure there are some mixing differences. the vocoder parts sound louder to me. other than that they are comparible. there might be a slight BPM difference.

I was surprised that something titled 'Blue Monday (Instrumental Outtake)' was so identical to 'The Beach'. There are subtle differences, but I'm surprised it wasn't simply titled 'The Beach (Alternate Take)' in the box's tracklist.

So we now know of three versions of 'The Beach':
  1. Original 12" B-side - which I think Johnny James said was two versions edited together in some way or another
  2. PCL 'Collector's Edition' version - which is one of the takes used for the 12" B-side without any of the edits
  3. PCL 'Definitive Edition' version - which is another alternate take
I wonder if we have something here very similar to the 'Thieves Like Us Instrumental', where two takes were combined to create the final version, but subsequently those two different takes were eventually released (in the case of 'Thieves' possibly in error). Could it be that the original 12" version of 'The Beach' is actually an edited combination of 2 and 3 in the list above?

Edited by user 06 October 2020 04:49:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/10/2020(UTC)
Johnny James  
#453 Posted : 06 October 2020 04:47:08(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post

i overlaid this over 'the beach', and they matched each other pretty well. so this might have been an earlier take (or exactly the same), i'm sure there are some mixing differences. the vocoder parts sound louder to me. other than that they are comparible. there might be a slight BPM difference.

I was surprised that something titled 'Blue Monday (Instrumental Outtake)' was so identical to 'The Beach'. There are subtle distances, but I'm surprised it wasn't simply titled 'The Beach (Alternate Take)' in the box's tracklist. So we now know of three versions of 'The Beach':
  1. 1. Original 12" B-side - which I think Johnny James said was two versions edited together in some way or another)
  2. PCL 'Collector's Edition' version - which is one of the takes used for the 12" B-side without any of the edits
I wonder if we have something here very similar to the 'Thieves Like Us Instrumental', where two takes were combined to create the final version, but subsequently those two different takes were eventually released (in the case of 'Thieves' possibly in error). Could it be that the original 12" version of 'The BEach' is actually an edited combination of 2 and 3 in the list above?

No, the Collector's Edition is mostly the right take, but there are a couple of edit sections that should have been inserted into it. One is early on when there's some doubling up effect on the drums, the other is right at the end (I'm not exactly sure if that was edited onto it or not on the 'corrected' disc 2).

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
is it bro  
#454 Posted : 06 October 2020 12:53:08(UTC)
is it bro

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
The definitive power corruption and lies is on Spotify now.
thanks 2 users thanked is it bro for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/10/2020(UTC), Mike C. on 06/10/2020(UTC)
Andy  
#455 Posted : 06 October 2020 19:49:14(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post

I was surprised that something titled 'Blue Monday (Instrumental Outtake)' was so identical to 'The Beach'. There are subtle differences, but I'm surprised it wasn't simply titled 'The Beach (Alternate Take)' in the box's tracklist.

So we now know of three versions of 'The Beach':
  1. Original 12" B-side - which I think Johnny James said was two versions edited together in some way or another
I wonder if we have something here very similar to the 'Thieves Like Us Instrumental', where two takes were combined to create the final version, but subsequently those two different takes were eventually released (in the case of 'Thieves' possibly in error). Could it be that the original 12" version of 'The Beach' is actually an edited combination of 2 and 3 in the list above?

...and don't forget Beach Buggy and Blue Monday 1988 Dub Version.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Dinoc  
#456 Posted : 07 October 2020 10:46:25(UTC)
Dinoc

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Biggest surprise for me? For years I imagined the bloke that came out with the announcement “There’s someone owns a scooter SMG643Y...” was a balding middle aged man in a suit.....not some punk rocker with an enormous Mohican!!
thanks 1 user thanked Dinoc for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/10/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#457 Posted : 07 October 2020 11:36:50(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dinoc Go to Quoted Post
Biggest surprise for me? For years I imagined the bloke that came out with the announcement “There’s someone owns a scooter SMG643Y...” was a balding middle aged man in a suit.....not some punk rocker with an enormous Mohican!!

Yeah, was a little surprised when a guy with a Mohican popped up.

Was a bit surprised too by the audience at the Kilkenny gig.I'd always imagined a crowd made up of the Joy Division green raincoat brigade and assorted gloomy 80s types just standing and watching .But the Kilkenny audience looked well up for it and going crazy.

Edited by user 07 October 2020 11:41:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
50poundnote  
#458 Posted : 07 October 2020 12:04:17(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Was a bit surprised too by the audience at the Kilkenny gig.I'd always imagined a crowd made up of the Joy Division green raincoat brigade and assorted gloomy 80s types just standing and watching .But the Kilkenny audience looked well up for it and going crazy.

That Kilkenny gig is a treasure. Steve hot-swapping disks on the Emulator, Barney in a playful mood, and the audience going nuts.
thanks 1 user thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Fotz  
#459 Posted : 07 October 2020 12:41:30(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post

That Kilkenny gig is a treasure. Steve hot-swapping disks on the Emulator, Barney in a playful mood, and the audience going nuts.

Yep it’s bloody great.

Really enjoy the audio quality on it as well. Sounds ace on my headphones.Frank Arkwright did some sterling work with the audio on these live videos? Great job if so.

Edited by user 07 October 2020 12:45:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotz  
#460 Posted : 07 October 2020 13:15:01(UTC)
Fotz

The rapport between band and audience reaches a great peak during Ceremony when Barney does all his “ Thanks very much/ so pleased to see you all here/ so pleased you like Temptation/ on my left I have Peter Hook ...” etc. You can feel the good positive fun vibe a mile off. Do you think the added bonus of the Irish beauty in the audience at the front just a couple of feet in front of Barney throughout the gig put him in a good mood as well?Tongue Smile

Edited by user 07 October 2020 13:15:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotz  
#461 Posted : 07 October 2020 14:00:14(UTC)
Fotz

Watching Blue Monday at Alabamahalle, Munich , 1984 and somehow Barney ends up with a bunch of flowers in his hand, thought I was watching Morrissey for a second there.
GotBlueEyes  
#462 Posted : 07 October 2020 14:03:44(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
Anyone noticed on the Metropol, Berlin 1984 performance of Confusion the first minute and a half is actually Sister Ray? Fabulous.

Actually to my ears it's closer to Skullcrusher (especially the Barcelona 1984 live version) than Sister Ray, but there is some shared song DNA there

thanks 1 user thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
Fotz  
#463 Posted : 07 October 2020 14:23:37(UTC)
Fotz

Just noticed all the tv appearances are in mono, I think. Was sure at least with Blue Monday TOTP there’s stereo versions in existence. Oh well.Not a big thing and anyway the magnificent audio on the live footage from gigs is the top class.

Edited by user 07 October 2020 14:25:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gerardo62  
#464 Posted : 07 October 2020 23:18:55(UTC)
Gerardo62

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The footage of Love Will Tear Us Apart from Birmingham Tower Ballroom is mega! I was there, pretty much at the front, and it's exactly how I remember it. It was the first song and NO ONE was expecting it. The place went nuts, one of the best gigs I've ever witnessed and one of the best times I saw New Order.
thanks 2 users thanked Gerardo62 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/10/2020(UTC), Andy on 08/10/2020(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#465 Posted : 08 October 2020 01:09:55(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
Just noticed all the tv appearances are in mono, I think. Was sure at least with Blue Monday TOTP there’s stereo versions in existence. Oh well.Not a big thing and anyway the magnificent audio on the live footage from gigs is the top class.

The TOTP 'Blue Monday' on 'NewOrderStory' is also mono.
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/10/2020(UTC)
GotBlueEyes  
#466 Posted : 12 October 2020 08:17:56(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Has anyone noticed any differences in the artwork for the new reissues?

The previous 12"s released alongside the Movement set all had variations of some kind in the sleeves compared to the originals

I was just in HMV and noticed that the Murder 12" seems to be closer to a black sleeve, rather than my original which is more of a dark purple

Confusion seemed more or less the same, and BM / TLU were sold out so I couldn't tell

thanks 1 user thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/10/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#467 Posted : 12 October 2020 08:35:30(UTC)
Fotz

The previous 12"s released alongside the Movement set all had variations of some kind in the sleeves compared to the originals

I was just in HMV and noticed that the Murder 12" seems to be closer to a black sleeve, rather than my original which is more of a dark purple

Confusion seemed more or less the same, and BM / TLU were sold out so I couldn't tell

Confusion has a matt cover rather than the gloss original . I agree with the Murder one, almost black rather than the very very dark blue/purple original. The new Thieves sleeve has some of the colours in the centre picture slightly tweeked I think, the sky above the building with arches is a different shade maybe. The picture looks sharper too. Maybe similar with the pic on the Murder sleeve. The BM sleeve has a small QR code with the colour blocks , when scanned on phone it takes you to neworder. com
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/10/2020(UTC), GotBlueEyes on 12/10/2020(UTC)
50poundnote  
#468 Posted : 12 October 2020 10:45:26(UTC)
50poundnote

Confusion, Thieves Like Us, and Murder all have card stock inner sleeves instead of paper. The inners for TLU and Murder include the lower case "b" in a rectangle which could either be a Benelux logo or perhaps for "BeMusic" (the same logo appears on the center labels).

All of them but Blue Monday have a small ⓟ and © 2019 Warners Music along the back top edge.

The font used on the spines of Blue Monday and Confusion is slightly smaller than the originals, so not edge-to-edge.

As mentioned, Confusion is matte, not glossy.

The de Chirico painting on the cover of TLU has a "cooling" Photoshop filter, so the hues are more blue than orange.

Murder is black, not midnight blue. The inner is black, too, however, the LABEL is midnight blue instead of black or white (depending on the pressing) like the original.

Murder also has nothing on the spine, where the original has FBN 22 and FACTORY BENELUX.

Edited by user 12 October 2020 10:47:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/10/2020(UTC), GotBlueEyes on 12/10/2020(UTC)
Johnny James  
#469 Posted : 12 October 2020 13:57:58(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post

Murder is black, not midnight blue. The inner is black, too, however, the LABEL is midnight blue instead of black or white (depending on the pressing) like the original.

Murder also has nothing on the spine, where the original has FBN 22 and FACTORY BENELUX.

Actually the details are there on the spine, it's just come out rather dark so you can hardly see them. The sleeve is also blue but again, so dark it's nearly black.

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/10/2020(UTC)
50poundnote  
#470 Posted : 12 October 2020 14:50:10(UTC)
50poundnote

Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post
Actually the details are there on the spine, it's just come out rather dark so you can hardly see them. The sleeve is also blue but again, so dark it's nearly black.

I stand corrected! Have it in a plastic sleeve and coudn't see it until I took it out.

It also says New Order at the top, which is not on the original Benelux issue, but makes it consistent with TLU. FBN 22 has been moved to the bottom.
50poundnote  
#471 Posted : 12 October 2020 14:51:26(UTC)
50poundnote

...I should add, I don't have a quibble with any of these changes. They're minor, but add some consistency. Plus, I have the originals.
Fotz  
#472 Posted : 17 October 2020 15:45:00(UTC)
Fotz

On DVD 1 , the audio on the Düsseldorf, Munich and Berlin ( oh there’s a lot of West Germany 1984 tour clips isn’t there?) really is bloody good. Especially on Lonesome Tonight at Metropol Berlin- the synths sound a beaut.
Fotz  
#473 Posted : 18 October 2020 02:59:40(UTC)
Fotz

Is it me or is Gillian’s synth a bit out of tune or something on In A Lonely Place at start of the Hac 82 gig? It almost sounds like a Kazoo! Nothing unusual for an 80s NO gig of course! Her off the shoulder gala ( is it called a gala dress?) number she’s wearing at that gig very reminiscent of summer 82 fashion. Reminds of the beautiful and lovely Martha Ladly appearing with The Associates doing ‘18 Carat Love Affair’ on Top Of The Pops in 1982, she was also wearing an off the shoulder in that performance. New Order connection there of course with Martha, she was ( or still is?) with Peter Saville for a time and she did the painting on the Factus 8 EP sleeve.

Edited by user 18 October 2020 03:14:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#474 Posted : 18 October 2020 04:15:01(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
I'm not sure if it's out of tune or just that the keyboards sounds are a bit flat.
But I'm not musically minded, so probably not the best person to comment.

It certainly sounds a little odd.

Talking of Martha Ladly, I was listening to an XFM radio documentary on the 'Brotherhood' LP yesterday. Hooky mentioned that, at the time of the LP, Saville was dating Ladly and she was inspiring him to do more abstract artwork, hence the sleeves for 'Brotherhood', 'Shellshock', 'State Of The Nation' and 'Bizarre Love Triangle'.

So, she was still in Saville's world four years after the FACTUS8 release. I don't think he's still with her.

Incidentally, Hooky pronounced her name as 'Laid-ly'. I'd always assumed it was 'Lad-ly'.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz  
#475 Posted : 18 October 2020 05:09:56(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure if it's out of tune or just that the keyboards sounds are a bit flat.
But I'm not musically minded, so probably not the best person to comment.

It certainly sounds a little odd.

Talking of Martha Ladly, I was listening to an XFM radio documentary on the 'Brotherhood' LP yesterday. Hooky mentioned that, at the time of the LP, Saville was dating Ladly and she was inspiring him to do more abstract artwork, hence the sleeves for 'Brotherhood', 'Shellshock', 'State Of The Nation' and 'Bizarre Love Triangle'.

So, she was still in Saville's world four years after the FACTUS8 release. I don't think he's still with her.

Incidentally, Hooky pronounced her name as 'Laid-ly'. I'd always assumed it was 'Lad-ly'.

Yeah I’d agree with that, it does sound odd.

Oh I remember that Brotherhood doc on XFM.Was good to have a doc about one of their, shall we say, less celebrated albums. On the thread on here at the time , I commented about how the songs sounded a bit beefier and livelier on the radio and pondered how radio producers do that. The guy , or one of the guys, who made the programme , registered on here and replied to my post and confirmed radio producers do indeed tweak the sound for radio. No shit, Sherlock . But yeah, was nice of him to come on here and contribute.

Hooky pronounced Ladly as Laidly? Maybe he’s correct, I don’t know.

Edited by user 18 October 2020 05:17:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified