logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

22 Pages«<1314151617>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#351 Posted : 20 September 2020 23:46:29(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Would be good if in the next few days one of the live clips from one of the DVDs was put out there as a little treat to whet our appetite ahead of 2nd October. Maybe one song from the Kilkenny video or something? If I recall correctly, the video of Truth at the Hacienda , Jan 83 was put out there a few weeks ahead of the release of the Movement box which it is included on. Just saying Smile

Edit: though to be fair, AOC demo and Thieves writing session audio have been put out over the last month or so.

I was thinking the same.
I thought that we'd have had a 'video' sneak peek by now.

I'm hoping we get more of those short interviews with the band (we've had 'Colour' and 'Science' so far).
For 'Movement', we had four 'Transmissions' just prior to release of 'Movement', so it's certainly possible we may get another couple.

We did also have an 'audio' sneak peek of 'Movement' I believe. I think Mary-Anne Hobbs played the Western Works demo of 'Ceremony'.

Edit: Immediately after posting this, I noticed this on the band's YouTube page:

This is presumably a promotion for the box set.

Edited by user 20 September 2020 23:51:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/09/2020(UTC)
Andy  
#352 Posted : 25 September 2020 05:07:56(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
US purchasers take note. I've been using this site for years and they always have great prices: ImportCDs.com

Standard shipping (USPS) is $2.99. I opted for expedited shipping via UPS for $7.99 and my total price out the door was still only $95.15
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/09/2020(UTC), negative1 on 25/09/2020(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#353 Posted : 25 September 2020 15:18:12(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
Down to £99.99 now on Amazon (so likely I'll cancel my parallel order from the New Order store early next week - and Amazon Prime more likely to deliver on release day):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YGM16Y7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZMNBFb236DHAY
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/09/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#354 Posted : 26 September 2020 11:14:34(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Would be good if in the next few days one of the live clips from one of the DVDs was put out there as a little treat to whet our appetite ahead of 2nd October. Maybe one song from the Kilkenny video or something? If I recall correctly, the video of Truth at the Hacienda , Jan 83 was put out there a few weeks ahead of the release of the Movement box which it is included on. Just saying Smile

Edit: though to be fair, AOC demo and Thieves writing session audio have been put out over the last month or so.

I was thinking the same.

I'm hoping we get more of those short interviews with the band (we've had 'Colour' and 'Science' so far).
For 'Movement', we had four 'Transmissions' just prior to release of 'Movement', so it's certainly possible we may get another couple.

We did also have an 'audio' sneak peek of 'Movement' I believe. I think Mary-Anne Hobbs played the Western Works demo of 'Ceremony'.

Edit: Immediately after posting this, I noticed this on the band's YouTube page:

I see they've just now put up Thieves from TOTP 1984 too.Another one we've all seen before.Not sure what they're thinking is with putting up BM TOTP and now TLU TOTP.Thought it would have been better to get a bit more interest building up by putting out one clip none of us had ever seen before.Oh well, not long now til box set release day.

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 27/09/2020(UTC)
Andy  
#355 Posted : 26 September 2020 12:58:10(UTC)
Andy

Man

I was thinking the same.

I see they've just now put up Thieves from TOTP 1984 too.Another one we've all seen before.Not sure what they're thinking is with putting up BM TOTP and now TLU TOTP.Thought it would have been better to get a bit more interest building up by putting out one clip none of us had ever seen before.Oh well, not long now til box set release day.

To be fair, we're already sold on it. They're probably just trying to entice the more casual fans at this stage.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#356 Posted : 27 September 2020 00:55:47(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andy Go to Quoted Post
They're probably just trying to entice the more casual fans at this stage.

I'm not convinced. Given that they've managed a grand total of one acclaimed album in the last 30 years, you couldn't really be a casual fan at this point. And if you were, would you be shelling out over a hundred quid for something this detailed? It was the same with The best of Electronic - who were they trying to attract? I'm not surprised it hardly sold.
I told Geri Halliwell she had a clandestine relationship with my pet kangaroo. She wasn't convinced. She said, Is yer wallaby my lover?
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#357 Posted : 27 September 2020 01:32:06(UTC)
perspexorange

Interesting that the set has gone done to £100, which is a good deal.

I'll stick with the New Order Store as, with the box + 12" singles combo, it still works out cheaper than Amazon (£135 compared to, currently, £146).

So, how many of us have pre-ordered?
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Rorschach on 27/09/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 27/09/2020(UTC)
Andy  
#358 Posted : 27 September 2020 06:04:24(UTC)
Andy

Man

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
They're probably just trying to entice the more casual fans at this stage.

I'm not convinced. Given that they've managed a grand total of one acclaimed album in the last 30 years, you couldn't really be a casual fan at this point. And if you were, would you be shelling out over a hundred quid for something this detailed? It was the same with The best of Electronic - who were they trying to attract? I'm not surprised it hardly sold.
I told Geri Halliwell she had a clandestine relationship with my pet kangaroo. She wasn't convinced. She said, Is yer wallaby my lover?

I'm not saying it's going to work.

I understand that someone introduced to the band by a movie trailer is unlikely to spring for a box set. But why upload rare tasters to appease people that have already pre-ordered? They might as well try to pique the interest of those outside the hardcore fan base.
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
lee  
#359 Posted : 27 September 2020 07:28:00(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)

I was thinking the same.

To be fair, we're already sold on it. They're probably just trying to entice the more casual fans at this stage.

I doubt very much that them 2 totp performances would attract any casual fans...they're both woeful

thanks 1 user thanked lee for this useful post.
50poundnote  
#360 Posted : 27 September 2020 08:15:07(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
1. It's always best for a band's official channel to upload content - especially any live televised performance. It lends credibility, and gives them the view counts. Plus it's better quality than what (Hey)Joe Schmo uploads.
2. The other live material in the box may not be of this quality. That WILL be for diehards who are used to bootlegs.
3. We're all going to love it, so why are we grousing about it?
thanks 1 user thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
Fotz  
#361 Posted : 27 September 2020 08:47:51(UTC)
Fotz

I didn’t mean to come across as moaning ( well maybe I was a little). Was just trying to understand the thinking of uploading clips to YouTube that are already on there, by multiple different YouTubers.
negative1  
#362 Posted : 27 September 2020 11:05:24(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 50poundnote Go to Quoted Post
1. It's always best for a band's official channel to upload content - especially any live televised performance. It lends credibility, and gives them the view counts. Plus it's better quality than what (Hey)Joe Schmo uploads.

The laserdisc/DVD was already great quality.

The band hated being on the show, and putting up a terrible performance.
(i liked it though).

It's an odd thing to put up, but thats new order.

later

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#363 Posted : 28 September 2020 03:22:23(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: lee Go to Quoted Post

I doubt very much that them 2 totp performances would attract any casual fans...they're both woeful

You're possibly correct that the two performances may not attract casual fans.

However, I do disagree about the two performances being 'woeful'.

OK - they probably aren't what most people would be expecting from 1980s TOTP performances, where bands would be 'hamming it up' for audience, alongside a perfect studio version of the song.

Blue Monday doesn't sound that great, but it's 'passable', especially when you consider how difficult (at the time) it was to create the song in a live studio environment. It's not the car crash that some people think it is (or at least, not IMHO).

Thieves Like Us, however, sounds pretty damn good to me though.
Bernard's vocals are good and it's a pretty clear performance. My only slight criticism is that Hooky's bass is slightly too high in the mix, although that kind of makes it even better (sounding like someone revving up a motorbike). Big Grin
I also think that the band look effortlessly cool in this performance. Imperious even.

In addition to the above, what we do have is a band 'flicking two fingers' at the establishment and doing what they want, rather than playing BBC puppets.
And that's to be applauded.

Performances like this are exactly why I fucking love this band.
ROCKET MICK on 28/09/2020(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#364 Posted : 28 September 2020 03:38:56(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Fuck Hooky's bass and TLU sounds fine. Gillian actually went on record as saying she was proud they'd done justice to such a complex track. Sorry, 'Er, yes, hahaha! I'm proud we did justice to such a complex track! Hahaha, yes. Er, yes, hahahahaha.'
BM is shit but fans seem to think being shit live is A Good Thing. Doesn't work for me doing stand-up.

Edited by user 28 September 2020 03:42:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/09/2020(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#365 Posted : 30 September 2020 04:19:05(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

I need to cancel my box set order from the New Order Store now Amazon is cheaper, but they've not replied to two messages in two days and it now has a status of "Packing". Don't want to end up with two copies!

Anyone got a telephone number for the New Order website here in the UK?
ROCKET MICK on 30/09/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#366 Posted : 30 September 2020 06:09:22(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post
I need to cancel my box set order from the New Order Store now Amazon is cheaper, but they've not replied to two messages in two days and it now has a status of "Packing". Don't want to end up with two copies!

Oooh... hate to say it but I think you may have left it too late to cancel from NO store. Your copy is probably already somewhere in the Royal Mail system with 2 days or less to release day. You’d be better off biting the bullet and cancelling your Amazon copy. Or receive both and then try your luck at returning the NO store copy for a refund. Just my gut feeling.

Edited by user 30 September 2020 06:10:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mr Discography  
#367 Posted : 30 September 2020 06:26:44(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post

Oooh... hate to say it but I think you may have left it too late to cancel from NO store. Your copy is probably already somewhere in the Royal Mail system with 2 days or less to release day. You’d be better off biting the bullet and cancelling your Amazon copy. Or receive both and then try your luck at returning the NO store copy for a refund. Just my gut feeling.

Yeah, I guess that's likely now. Just hoping for an email reply from them - even if it's telling me it's too late to cancel the order. If I end up with two copies, it'll be easier to send back the Amazon copy, as there's an Amazon Locker near me. Certainly not going to cancel either of them until I know at least one has shipped! The difference in price was only £13 anyway - plus I ordered those neat looking 'True Faith' badges with that order too, which would be a nice little bonus.

perspexorange  
#368 Posted : 30 September 2020 07:55:15(UTC)
perspexorange

Just two days to go, guys!

I've heard of one or two people who've got their sets already. Lucky swines.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Rorschach on 30/09/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/09/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#369 Posted : 30 September 2020 08:01:22(UTC)
Fotz

Just two days to go, guys!

I've heard of one or two people who've got their sets already. Lucky swines.

Well I received the Movement box on the Thursday before the Friday official release date back in April 2019 so here’s hoping the same with this. Though I think I bought the Movement one off Amazon. Bought this PCL one from NO store.

Edited by user 30 September 2020 08:01:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#370 Posted : 30 September 2020 08:40:37(UTC)
perspexorange

I ordered my 'Movement' one through Amazon, but only got it on release day.
DigiMike had his a day early last time.

You and him must just be 'jammy'. :-)
perspexorange  
#371 Posted : 30 September 2020 08:54:25(UTC)
perspexorange

This has just been posted on the official YouTube page:
perspexorange  
#372 Posted : 30 September 2020 11:01:20(UTC)
perspexorange

Just had a dispatch email from the New Order Store.

Bring it on!
Fotz  
#373 Posted : 30 September 2020 11:04:30(UTC)
Fotz

Yep just got the email too.Estimated delivery for UK is 1-3 days. Maybe Saturday at latest then?

Edit: oh that’s standard class. Tracked is 1-2 days. Don’t know if mine is standard or tracked.

Edited by user 30 September 2020 11:06:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#374 Posted : 30 September 2020 11:31:40(UTC)
perspexorange

Yep just got the email too.Estimated delivery for UK is 1-3 days. Maybe Saturday at latest then?

Edit: oh that’s standard class. Tracked is 1-2 days. Don’t know if mine is standard or tracked.

I’m not sure either, but given that we’ve spent over £100 on this, I’m hoping it’s better than standard mail.
perspexorange  
#375 Posted : 30 September 2020 12:09:04(UTC)
perspexorange

Just received another email, this time from Yodel.

My set is due to arrive on Friday.

At least they’re using couriers rather than the GPO.