logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

22 Pages«<1213141516>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GotBlueEyes  
#326 Posted : 03 September 2020 09:17:22(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post
Are any of the box set versions of 'Thieves' recorded with Arthur Baker present? He's down as a co-writer, but the single version doesn't seem to have been produced by him. Wondered if there's a version they made with him?

How true is it that The New Order/Arthur Baker writing collaboration was simply that they took the backing track from Freeez's IOU (that Baker wrote earlier in 1983) and wrote their own song over the top of it

It still throws me to this day whenever I hear IOU and I think they're playing Confusion

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1MDlJM_C1k[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by user 04 September 2020 07:54:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/09/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#327 Posted : 04 September 2020 06:35:09(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#328 Posted : 04 September 2020 06:44:32(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post

Wonderful!

Steve is the man. I could listen to him all day.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz  
#329 Posted : 04 September 2020 06:52:35(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

Wonderful!

Steve is the man. I could listen to him all day.

Well, i think he's just released Record Play Pause in audiobook version so go for itSmile
perspexorange  
#330 Posted : 04 September 2020 06:57:19(UTC)
perspexorange

Smile

Funny you should mention that, but I've been trying to buy it through Amazon.co.uk all day. There's an issue with the webpage that doesn't let you complete the purchase. Have tried on multiple browsers. No dice.

I really wish they'd released it on CD, like the two Hooky books.
I'm guessing Hooky's third book (which he has recorded, apparently) will, similarly, be download only (considering how voluminous it is).
Debaser  
#331 Posted : 05 September 2020 16:46:47(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Did someone post this already?
I think it might trump the "Thieves" writing session thingy.
AOC
(Can't get it to embed for some reason)

https://youtu.be/OFWUdQu3f0o

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/09/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#332 Posted : 05 September 2020 17:43:59(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Did someone post this already?
I think it might trump the "Thieves" writing session thingy.
AOC
(Can't get it to embed for some reason)

https://youtu.be/OFWUdQu3f0o

yes, it was in The Shadow's thread about the 6Music thing about 11 days ago http://forums.neworderonline.co...sts&t=4816#post33209
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/09/2020(UTC), Debaser on 06/09/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#333 Posted : 06 September 2020 02:35:53(UTC)
perspexorange

How many copies were there printed? My signed copy by Dec "To John. The coolest of road trips! Best, Dec" also has the numbered sticker in bottom right stating it's number 542 out of 750. Were there only 750 copies printed? Or is that 750 figure just the number of signed copies Dec did? I know there was an earlier limited edition run with a silver(?) cover and some different pics from the version that i have and that copies were printed in a larger amount of the version i have. So if it reaally was only 750 copies made then yes, there must be a lot of fans who don't have a copy.

Sorry for delay. I've been meaning to dig my copy out for a while, but kept forgetting.
I've just had a look and I'm surprised to note that mine isn't numbered. Frown
It does have a handwritten inscription in it though ("The coolest of road trips! Best, Dec").

I could've sworn that mine was numbered, but it does kind of make sense that it isn't. For a number of years, I wasn't particularly obsessing over the band (hard to imagine, eh?). I, therefore, didn't find out about the book until a year or two after release, once my passion was reignited.
So, I guess, I must have been too late for a numbered edition.

From what I can tell, there were:

a) 100 of the first editions. Signed and numbered. Grey/silver cover (you can see a picture of one of these on page 1 of my (later) edition).

b) 750 of the second editions. Signed and numbered. Maroon cover. These apparently contained an unused ticket from the 24/05/84 Leicester Palais gig. They also came with an automatic entry into a draw to win one of three exclusive prints (001 book cover; 002 Gillian; 003 Aberdeen). The details of this I got from a flyer that was included with my copy of the book.

c) Unknown number of later editions. This is my copy. As far as I can tell, these were identical to b) above, but came without the ticket, the competition entry and, most importantly, the number. Mine did come with an inscription though, so I guess Dec did this for all purchases through his site.

Where is your 'number' Fotz? Is it on the cover? Is it a sticker etc?

Fotz  
#334 Posted : 06 September 2020 03:03:53(UTC)
Fotz

How many copies were there printed? My signed copy by Dec "To John. The coolest of road trips! Best, Dec" also has the numbered sticker in bottom right stating it's number 542 out of 750. Were there only 750 copies printed? Or is that 750 figure just the number of signed copies Dec did? I know there was an earlier limited edition run with a silver(?) cover and some different pics from the version that i have and that copies were printed in a larger amount of the version i have. So if it reaally was only 750 copies made then yes, there must be a lot of fans who don't have a copy.

Sorry for delay. I've been meaning to dig my copy out for a while, but kept forgetting.
I've just had a look and I'm surprised to note that mine isn't numbered. Frown
It does have a handwritten inscription in it though ("The coolest of road trips! Best, Dec").

I could've sworn that mine was numbered, but it does kind of make sense that it isn't. For a number of years, I wasn't particularly obsessing over the band (hard to imagine, eh?). I, therefore, didn't find out about the book until a year or two after release, once my passion was reignited.
So, I guess, I must have been too late for a numbered edition.

From what I can tell, there were:

a) 100 of the first editions. Signed and numbered. Grey/silver cover (you can see a picture of one of these on page 1 of my (later) edition).

b) 750 of the second editions. Signed and numbered. Maroon cover. These apparently contained an unused ticket from the 24/05/84 Leicester Palais gig. They also came with an automatic entry into a draw to win one of three exclusive prints (001 book cover; 002 Gillian; 003 Aberdeen). The details of this I got from a flyer that was included with my copy of the book.

c) Unknown number of later editions. This is my copy. As far as I can tell, these were identical to b) above, but came without the ticket, the competition entry and, most importantly, the number. Mine did come with an inscription though, so I guess Dec did this for all purchases through his site.

Where is your 'number' Fotz? Is it on the cover? Is it a sticker etc?

My book number is 542 and it's on a sticker in bottom right hand corner of one of the first (blank) pages of the book.Well, blank except for Dec's signed "To John.The coolest of road trips! Best, Dec".The sticker has a pic of Barney at an early 80s gig.Yes it's the maroon edition i have.750 limited edition after the 100 limited edition earlier silver cover one that had a few different pics inside so i've learnt, though i've never held a copy of that edition in my hands.I bought the maroon edition soon as it became available for order in Jan/Feb 2012.Not sure if there's any differences between the limited 750 maroon covers and later editions, probably not.

Oh and i got one of spare the Leicester Palais tickets in with the book, yes (though the ticket has no number, just a blank white box where the number would have been on an actual ticket).I have that flyer but i seem to recall it didn't come with the book but was given to me actually by Dec when he was giving them out to people in the queue at the Birmingham Ballroom gig 29.04.2012.

Discovered in one entry in Dec's book that photo of Gillian which was one of 3 large prints that you could purchase (at £150 a shot!) was taken at the soundcheck for Bradford University 23rd October 1981, not the actual gig .Dec remembers Gillian wore a different dress for the gig itself.

Edited by user 06 September 2020 03:14:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#335 Posted : 06 September 2020 03:16:18(UTC)
perspexorange

Thanks for the info, Fotz.
I wondered whether or not I was just not spotting the number on my copy, but I definitely haven't got a sticker with Barney on.

My copy definitely came with flyers. Weirdly, there's four copies of it. I think Dec must have been trying to get rid of them. :-)

Leafing through the book now, and must say, once again, that it is an absolute joy to look through.
If anyone doesn't have a copy, you really need to hunt one down. You won't be disappointed.

Dec definitely needs to get a digital copy on the market.

Edited by user 06 September 2020 03:16:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz on 06/09/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 06/09/2020(UTC)
Debaser  
#336 Posted : 07 September 2020 12:02:44(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
The YouTuber who uploaded the AOC writing session audio to YT has also uploaded the Thieves writing session.
Might be the easiest place to stream it until the box set is released.

https://youtu.be/nRPnCiucp3s

(I'm struggling to embed YT on here at the mo. Not sure if its because I'm using my phone...)
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/09/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#337 Posted : 07 September 2020 12:23:57(UTC)
Fotz

The YouTuber who uploaded the AOC writing session audio to YT has also uploaded the Thieves writing session.
Might be the easiest place to stream it until the box set is released.

https://youtu.be/nRPnCiucp3s

(I'm struggling to embed YT on here at the mo. Not sure if its because I'm using my phone...)

Curious that neither upload hasn’t immediately been taken down because of copyright or whatever reason the technical term is.

Mark on 07/09/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 07/09/2020(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#338 Posted : 16 September 2020 08:28:11(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
For those (like me) that have the original 12 inches and don't want to re-buy them, but do want the remastered tracks they contain digitally at CD quality, Qobuz have them for pre-order now - to be released on the same day as the boxed PCL by the looks of things:

Edited by user 16 September 2020 08:29:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
negative1 on 16/09/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/09/2020(UTC), Mike C. on 19/09/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#339 Posted : 17 September 2020 04:49:15(UTC)
perspexorange

I'm wondering if the 'Writing Session Recording' of 'Ecstasy, might reveal what the 'lyrics' actually are (i.e. the vocoder stuff on the track).

I'm guessing not, but I'd love to know what is actually being said on that track (one of my personal favourites).
ROCKET MICK on 17/09/2020(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#340 Posted : 17 September 2020 08:21:32(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
I'm wondering if the 'Writing Session Recording' of 'Ecstasy, might reveal what the 'lyrics' actually are (i.e. the vocoder stuff on the track).

I'm guessing not, but I'd love to know what is actually being said on that track (one of my personal favourites).

Still wondering what the difference is between a "writing session recording" versus a "demo". Guess we'll find out in 2 weeks...
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/09/2020(UTC)
The Shadow  
#341 Posted : 17 September 2020 09:11:05(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post
Another reference is Dec's Heaven to Heaven book that also makes no mention of it in the set. He probably also taped the gig.

I didn't think to check this.

That book is superb! One of my favourite New Order items I own.

Yeah - it seems likely that Dec taped this.

Dug my copy of Heaven To Heaven out and have been re-reading a lot of it over the last day or two.Don't think i'd even looked at it for a number of years.Incredible book. those transcripts of Dec talking to the band in the dressing room after many gigs in the early 80s i found a great read again.

Hadn't remembered but his transcripts of between song banter from Barney and Hooky at the Kilkenny gig i now realise some parts were edited out of the Radio 1 broadcast.Wonder if they'd they've made it onto the DVD???....

Fantastic book and i by chance met Dec outside the Birmingham Ballroom 29.04.2012 gig when i was in the queue.He was giving flyers out for his book and when i realised it was him i told him i already had a copy of his book and was honoured to tell him what an amazing piece of work he'd created with Heaven To Heaven.

Only just read this thread, hence late reply. I met Dec at that same gig (he used one of my quotes on the flyer to sell the book) I got the ticket from Leicester Palais with my copy. Mine is numbered as 221/750 with a picture of Barney in the bottom right to answer POrange question.

To me my favourite new order book, great insight to the early years of new order.

thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
tapebias  
#342 Posted : 17 September 2020 09:58:52(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 248 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post

Still wondering what the difference is between a "writing session recording" versus a "demo". Guess we'll find out in 2 weeks...

A Writing Session Recording would be a very early recording possibly made for band members to remember their parts if the song had just been written. A Demo is closer to the final version usually sent to record companies or producers for feedback/approval which in this case didn't apply as they were self-producing. I've never heard of Writing Session Recording before - we just called them rehearsal tapes.

thanks 1 user thanked tapebias for this useful post.
EW99  
#343 Posted : 18 September 2020 05:29:59(UTC)
EW99

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post

well, at least the GIF has it :

UserPostedImage

What is this now? Die cut but no inner sleeve?

thanks 1 user thanked EW99 for this useful post.
GotBlueEyes  
#344 Posted : 18 September 2020 08:42:19(UTC)
GotBlueEyes

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 308 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EW99 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post

well, at least the GIF has it :

UserPostedImage

What is this now? Die cut but no inner sleeve?

I doubt it - all the 12" reissues so far have had proper inner sleeves, and the accidental pre-release that the appeared in eastern Europe earlier in the year was die-cut with an inner

Pretty sure that is genuine now - as the sub notes say it has been blocked by the rightsholder

Quote:
Release has been blocked from the Marketplace as a result of a legal notice received by Discogs from the rights holder. Ref. #228337

https://www.discogs.com/...-Monday/release/14822524

thanks 1 user thanked GotBlueEyes for this useful post.
50poundnote  
#345 Posted : 18 September 2020 09:39:37(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 889 time(s) in 503 post(s)
If they showed the inner sleeve in the gif some people would still not get that it's die cut. It's just a visual, not wholly representative of the finished product.

Edited by user 18 September 2020 09:50:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/09/2020(UTC)
negative1  
#346 Posted : 18 September 2020 19:54:46(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
I don't care if blue monday has the inner sleeve or not. I will buy it just to have it.

I will never play it or take it out to look it.

It's just another one for the collection.

later
thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/09/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#347 Posted : 19 September 2020 05:03:02(UTC)
perspexorange

Just realised something.

The first DVD in this set contains a couple of tracks from the Tolworth gig on 12/03/83, namely 'We All Stand' and 'Leave Me Alone'.

Just prior to playing the first of these tracks, there was the infamous 'Mark Johnson's scooter announcement' joke.
I'm wondering if this announcement might be included in the footage.

For anyone that doesn't know, Johnson, who was at the time writing his 'An Ideal For Living' book, had been pestering the band non-stop and 'wearing out his welcome'.
The band decided to play a joke on him, by raising his newly-purchased scooter onto the back of a lorry. They then got the announcer to ask the audience if the owner could remove the vehicle, as it was causing an obstruction.

Johnson describes the incident in his book but, from all accounts, he was very upset that the band had played such a 'cruel' joke on him.

There's a photo in Dec Hickey's book of the scooter on the lorry. Who knows, maybe this photo has made it into the PC&L book?
ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#348 Posted : 20 September 2020 02:36:19(UTC)
Fotz

Just for Monkhouse.

If anyone didn't catch this, i've uploaded it.

negative1 on 20/09/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2020(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#349 Posted : 20 September 2020 09:15:46(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I have a megarare copy of Unknown Pleasures. It isn't signed by Hooky.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/09/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#350 Posted : 20 September 2020 22:44:42(UTC)
Fotz

Would be good if in the next few days one of the live clips from one of the DVDs was put out there as a little treat to whet our appetite ahead of 2nd October. Maybe one song from the Kilkenny video or something? If I recall correctly, the video of Truth at the Hacienda , Jan 83 was put out there a few weeks ahead of the release of the Movement box which it is included on. Just saying Smile

Edit: though to be fair, AOC demo and Thieves writing session audio have been put out over the last month or so.

Edited by user 20 September 2020 22:47:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 21/09/2020(UTC)