logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

21 Pages«<1718192021>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Technique97  
#451 Posted : 02 March 2020 08:54:22(UTC)
Technique97

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Now that this project has ended, I'd really love to see the same thing but covering every song of the side projects, Electronic, Revenge, Monaco, The Other Two, Freebass and Bad Lieutenant. Maybe even cover collaborations too such as Bernard's work with 808 State & A Certain Ratio, Hooky with The Liminanas etc.
thanks 1 user thanked Technique97 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/03/2020(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#452 Posted : 03 March 2020 19:10:36(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Was thanked: 359 time(s) in 212 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Technique97 Go to Quoted Post
Now that this project has ended, I'd really love to see the same thing but covering every song of the side projects, Electronic, Revenge, Monaco, The Other Two, Freebass and Bad Lieutenant. Maybe even cover collaborations too such as Bernard's work with 808 State & A Certain Ratio, Hooky with The Liminanas etc.

You're not the first to ask, thanks Smile

I'll very likely do it, but at the moment I've got firm plans to publish a book based on the New Order blog so that's got my attention.

DR
thanks 2 users thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
perspexorange on 04/03/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 05/03/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#453 Posted : 04 March 2020 01:32:58(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dennis Remmer Go to Quoted Post

You're not the first to ask, thanks Smile

I'll very likely do it, but at the moment I've got firm plans to publish a book based on the New Order blog so that's got my attention.

DR

This is good news, on both points.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/03/2020(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 07/03/2020(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#454 Posted : 04 March 2020 03:43:47(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Revenge,.

We can do without that. The only thing they achieved was making The Other Pooh sound almost okay.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/03/2020(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#455 Posted : 23 March 2020 19:04:45(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Commenced work on the book version of the NewOrderTracks blog. Seems like a good time to focus on creative things, right?

This is where you all come in Smile

I'm looking to incorporate (other) fans' wonderful feedback into the book structure, so if you haven't already (many of you did!) feel free to spend some of these long hours inside revisiting your own thoughts on New Order's songs and add your feedback to the blog entries. There was some great discussion here as well so I'll be tapping into NOOL as well.

http://newordertracks.wordpress.com

Thanks
Dennis

PS Fuck off virus. Stay strong everyone.
thanks 1 user thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/03/2020(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#456 Posted : 24 March 2020 00:08:09(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

What, is there some kind of virus going round? They should publicise these things more.
What's the difference between coronavirus and mother's legs? Coronavirus can't spread forever.
ROCKET MICK on 25/03/2020(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#457 Posted : 18 June 2020 03:53:05(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
I went through YO before.
In 1993 the O-Zone said NO had brought credibility to the footie record (a lot of competetion there) so would they ever consider doing a song for Eurovision? Bernard said No - but they did and it's Liar. Boy, it sucks like a toothless whore. There was a negative review of Rep in Select and it criticised 'the cloying POLITENESS of it all - Hague gives a little bit of room for the bass parts and then Bernard can sing etc.' Actually, reviews were quite positive, probably cos they were coming from an overall pop perspective rather than a we-want-Technique-2-with-Hooky fan perspective. Even Select said, 'It isn't a bad album, just an inert one.' In fact, the build-up was super-positive - Radio 1 saying 'Technique was good but that was for the 80s: this is the same for the 90s,' a 2-part NME article ('Republic is great') and - after release - that Paul Lester NME shite: 'Republic shows they are currently making the finest music of their lives.' Bollocks cos it wasn't current either.
After Dennis' Avalanche piece, I will banish Republic from my life forever. I've spent far too much time on a bland, mediocre puddle of pooh that makes One Direction sound like the Sex Pistols.

This was the Select review. Ti quote Virgil, too fucking right.
http://selectmagazinesca...oads/2018/09/albums3.jpg

thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/06/2020(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 22/06/2020(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#458 Posted : 26 June 2020 01:07:45(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Hi team - so work is well underway turning the blog into a book, and I'll be tapping in to my discographic past for some quality addendums including a UK timeline. Here's where you come in.

I've put together a draft timeline of sessions and UK releases from a wide range of sources, correcting some of the information contained in them (and there is a lot of misinformation out there), and verifying against official sources; not least of which are those compiling the Definitive editions (thanks JZ!). There are still some question marks about some of the details.

For those of you with an OCD eye and some inside knowledge, I'd welcome your corrections or updates. You can download my spreadsheet here, and please send through your corrections/updates (e.g. PDF markup or just comments) to me by email - also please reference your source. All assistance will be acknowledged.

Thanks
Dennis

thanks 2 users thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/06/2020(UTC), Fotz on 05/07/2020(UTC)
Fotz  
#459 Posted : 05 July 2020 07:58:37(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
^ They signed to Mute in September 2014, not September 2015.

I'd possibly dispute some of the months some singles were released or at least the UK release dates, like for example Temptation was April 82, not May and Sub Culture was November 85, not October.But many thanks Dennis and i look forward to the book version.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/07/2020(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#460 Posted : 06 July 2020 05:00:29(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
^ They signed to Mute in September 2014, not September 2015.

I'd possibly dispute some of the months some singles were released or at least the UK release dates, like for example Temptation was April 82, not May and Sub Culture was November 85, not October.But many thanks Dennis and i look forward to the book version.

Dispute = very good (and why I'm casting this out there). Will continue to cross-reference.

Many thanks, and keep em coming (I know you're out there - the spreadsheet has been downloaded 300 times and counting).

D

thanks 1 user thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
negative1  
#461 Posted : 07 July 2020 10:56:04(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

I don't know how much you trust new order web, but here's what they say
(i have not checked all my other book references yet)

http://www.neworderweb.n...ines/new-order-timeline/
===================

you :
November
Movement album released

them:
October – The First album – Movement was released and the album regarded by critics as “A poor Imitation Joy Division” another

quoted “Music to slash your wrists to”

you:
May
John Peel (II) studio sessions: Revolution Studios, Cheadle UK
Temptation single released, b/w Hurt

them:

May – Fac 51-The Haçienda opens its doors. A super club before the term was even coined. The inspiration came from New York

nightclubs that New Order visited several years before. The interior was designed by Ben Kelly and went massively over budget.

Wilson would later claim that The Hacienda Haçienda was “one long wonderful nightmare”.

The history of The Haçienda is well documented in the book by Peter Hook – The Haçienda – How not to run a club.

April – Crowd pleaser Temptation released on 7&12 Inch

you:
October
Subculture single released

them:
November – Subculture released on 7&12″ Legend has it sleeve designer Peter Saville hated the track that much that he refused to

design a sleeve for the track. It was later claimed that Saville was busy on another project and didn’t have time to design a

sleeve. The track was issued in a plain black die cut outer sleeve.

you:
August
Substance compilation released

them:
September- Substance double CD/LP/DAT (Digital Audio Tape) released on Factory. The double album contained extended versions of

all the New Order singles and B sides. Legend (again) has it that Factory Records supremo Tony Wilson sanctioned the compilation

release so that he could play all of New Orders singles whilst driving his car. A car CD player was also ridiculously expensive

back in 1987! Factory also issued the Substance Limited Edition Gatefold Promo 12 inch (1000 only) which famously bears the

words “Not to be sold unless desperate”. The LP was given to Factory employees and selected friends. A highly desirable item for

New Order collectors.Prices for the Substance Gatefold regular achieve up to £200 depending on condition. The Substance

compilation album went on to sell 1 million copies in the US and reached number 3 in the UK album charts.

you:
April
Blue Monday 1988 single released

them:
March- Blue Monday 88 – Remixed by legendary Grammy award winning record producer Quincy Jones, Blue Monday 88 reached number 3

in the UK charts. Factory Records also commissioned a Blue Monday “Flicker book” to promote the release. The flicker book was

seen in the official Factory Records promo video for Blue Monday 88.Limted to 300 copies and yet another highly desirable

collector’s item. Mint condition items regularly achieve £150+.

you:
January
Technique album released

them:
February – Technique- An eclectic mix of Acid house inspired dance music and guitar driven tunes. Fine Time, Round & Round and

Run2 were singles. Vanishing point was later released on the 2005 Singles album.

you: blank

them:
July – New Order announced they are to reform and start work on the album Republic. Recorded at Real World Studios, the

estimated cost of producing the album was £500,000.00

you:
October
True Faith-94 single released

them:
November – True Faith 94 released on London Records. Original radio edits and also Includes mixes from Perfecto.

them:
June – 28th – The Last ever night at the Haçienda. Resident DJ Elliot Eastwick Played the last track on Friday June 28th.

1998:
them:
New Order reunite to play the Reading Festival. They play an updated version of True Faith 94 Perfecto Mix. At the end of the

track Hooky and Bernard share a rare handshake!

you:
September
Get Ready album released

them:
August – Get Ready- Their first LP for nearly 8 years. Includes collaborations from Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins) and Bobby

Gillespie

them:
November – Confusion 2002 released on London/Warner subsidiary Whacked Records.

The Haçienda building is demolished. Peter Hook starts the excavator to begin the demolition process.

them:
Phil Cunningham replaces Gillian Gilbert in the band.

Joy Division and New Order inducted into the UK Music Hall OF fame.

you: blank

them:
February – 12X12 inch Singles were released on Warner Subsidiary New State Recordings.

November – New Order played a show at Club Ciudad, Buenos Aries, Argentina. Unbeknown to fans this would be the last show with

Peter Hook on bass.

you: Peter Hook leaves the band

them:
May – Hook talks on XFM Radio Station and confirms the he and Bernard (Sumner) aren’t working together. He also mentions the

band split in further interviews and on his official Myspace page.

July – Sumner and Morris release a statement to the press saying that if he (Hook) wants to leave New order, then that is

entirely up to him, but we would carry on as New Order without him (Hook).

July – Hook posts on his Myspace page and says he will “take steps” against his former band mates if they continue New Order

without him. so begins the public spats and lengthy “legal issues” between Hook and the rest of New Order.

2011:

them:
April – Hellbent – A “Leftover” track from Waiting For the Sirens Call sessions issued on Promo CD by Rhino to promote the Total

– From Joy Division To New Order release.

June – Total – From Joy Division to New Order released on Rhino – Includes the previously unreleased track “Hellbent”. A

“Leftover” track from the “Waiting for the sirens call “sessions. A limited Edition T-shirt and CD bundle was available from the

Rhino website. There was also a Bernard Sumner signing day @ HMV Manchester on Wednesday the 22nd of June. Several hundred

people turned up to get their Total CD’s and other items signed. Total Promotional posters were given away free to people in the

queue if they asked for them.

The new Official Website for the new New Order is launched. www.newordernow.net

October- New Order are to play two benefit gigs in Europe in France and Belgium in aid of long time video producer Michael

Shamberg who had been ill since 2005. Gillian Gilbert is back in the New Order line up and new boy Tom Chapman takes over from

Peter Hook on bass. Both gigs immediately sell out.

December – New Order play three dates in South America in Argentina,Brazil and Chile.

them:
28th November -Friday – 1981-1982 E.P Now Titled Factus8R Re-Released by Warner for “Black Friday” – Limited edition Clear Vinyl

of 6,500 copies – 3,500 US copies available and 3.000 copies available for the EU (500 UK + 2500 Rest Of Europe)

later

Edited by user 07 July 2020 10:57:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked negative1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/07/2020(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 14/07/2020(UTC)
perspexorange  
#462 Posted : 07 July 2020 11:09:25(UTC)
perspexorange

Pretty thorough post -1.

Just wanted to ask about this to anyone that knows:

Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post

The Haçienda building is demolished. Peter Hook starts the excavator to begin the demolition process.

Any idea if this Hooky footage was filmed (for Granda Reports, BBC North West etc.)?
I know that Digital Mike has been keen to see this for some time.

If it does exist, and someone has a copy, please PM me.

Thanks!

Edited by user 07 July 2020 11:10:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz  
#463 Posted : 07 July 2020 11:20:34(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Pretty thorough post -1.

Just wanted to ask about this to anyone that knows:

Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post

Any idea if this Hooky footage was filmed (for Granda Reports, BBC North West etc.)?
I know that Digital Mike has been keen to see this for some time.

If it does exist, and someone has a copy, please PM me.

Thanks!

I remember seeing a Channel 4 news feature covering the demolition, Hooky standing in the ruins in a yellow hard hat and being interviewed.Nope, i don't have the clip i'm afraid.I seem to remember it being a bit earlier than 2002, maybe late 2000 or early 2001 but not sure, memory vague on that one. I mean, after it was knocked down it had to be re-created for the 24 Hour Party People film that was released in April 2002 so the filming of that scene must have been sometime in 2001 surely.So i'd wager the Hacienda was knocked down quite sometime before 2002.I reckon it was late 2000/early 2001 it was demolished.

perspexorange  
#464 Posted : 07 July 2020 11:31:46(UTC)
perspexorange

Cheers Fotz. At least we know it exists then.

Yeah - it seems likely that it was earlier than 2002, based on the reconstruction for 24HPP.
Fotz  
#465 Posted : 07 July 2020 11:42:08(UTC)
Fotz

Hmm...had a google around and a couple of articles state it was demolished in 2002 so i was wrong.Just seems a tight timeline between shooting the re created Hacienda scenes for 24HRPP in early 2002 after the actual original Hac was demolished to the release of the film in April 2002.But maybe they did shoot those scenes in early 2002 but isn't there quite a few months gap between finishing shooting a film, editing etc and then preparations for release? Or maybe they actually shot the scenes in a recreated Hacienda in 2001 while the actual real Hacienda was still standing? Seems a bit silly do have done it that way but who knows.
perspexorange  
#466 Posted : 07 July 2020 11:49:15(UTC)
perspexorange

I've just been searching as well and came across this clip which was posted relatively recently to YouTube (i.e. since the last time I looked for this clip):

Although it doesn't show Hooky starting the excavator, it does show footage of them dismantling various bits.
This is from 24/11/00, which I think was just before the auction, wasn't it?

I'm just wondering whether the demolition was kind of a two step process:

a) Bits were removed from the building, ready for the auction. This would've been at the time of the above clip in late 2000.
b) The main building being demolished at a later date, with possibly the 'Hooky excavator' bit happening at that time. Maybe in 2002.

I'm guessing that, even if the building was still standing in 2001-2, when 24HPP was filmed, it was likely that this was just an empty husk, without any familiar landmarks in it (the bollards, girders etc.). This would necessitate building a set to resemble it.

Edited by user 07 July 2020 11:52:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotz  
#467 Posted : 07 July 2020 11:52:20(UTC)
Fotz

Ooh, found this.NME from 12th March 2001.States filming of 24HPP completed on 10th March 2001 and the re created Hac had been demolished like the orginal had been "last year".So "last year" would have been 2000 then, which is how i remember it and seeing the Channel 4 news feature

"HACIENDA THAT (SLIGHT RETURN)
This time it was a replica, built for a film about the Manchester music scene...

By
NME
12th March 2001
Filming on the forthcoming MANCHESTER film ’24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE’ has now been completed, with the recently recreated HACIENDA nightclub being demolished once more.

Work on the Michael Winterbottom project, which documents the history of Factory Records and the Hacienda between 1976 and 1992 and stars comedian Steve Coogan as Factory Records boss Tony Wilson, was completed over the weekend (March 10).

The identical copy of the city’s most famous nightclub, which was recreated inch-by-inch for the purposes of filming, has now been demolished in a similar fashion to the original venue last year.

The new Hacienda was built in the Ancoats area of the city – the other side of town from the original club, and on March 2 it opened to invited guests, with original DJs Dave Haslam, Mike Pickering and Graeme Park.

Speaking about the set, Wilson said: “It was bad enough that I had to watch the Hacienda be knocked down once, but now you’ve made me watch it twice!”

’24 Hour Party People’ should be released in the UK later in the year or early next.
"
Fotz  
#468 Posted : 07 July 2020 11:58:52(UTC)
Fotz

Thanks for that clip, p.Looks like BBC but i'm sure i saw as i say a Channel 4 feature so they must have covered it also.I have a vague memory of clip of Hooky starting the digger now come to think of it.I think we can say the demolition was November 2000.
perspexorange  
#469 Posted : 07 July 2020 12:08:27(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for that clip, p.Looks like BBC but i'm sure i saw as i say a Channel 4 feature so they must have covered it also.I have a vague memory of clip of Hooky starting the digger now come to think of it.I think we can say the demolition was November 2000.

Yeah - I think you might be right.

On my database of New Order TV appearances I have the following item (which I sadly do not have a copy of):

30/11/00 - 'Channel 4 News', Channel 4, 30/11/00 (article about Haçienda auction)

This could be the Channel 4 programme you're referring to.
Although I've put a note that this is about the Haçienda auction, which happened on the 25/11/00, I may have just assumed this, based on the date. It was possibly just about the demolition. Or, indeed, both the demolition and the auction.

Thinking about it, I have that 'Do You Own The Dançefloor' documentary on DVD. I can't remember if this has details about the demolition or not. I'll check it out.
perspexorange  
#470 Posted : 07 July 2020 12:47:27(UTC)
perspexorange

The more that I look into this, the more confused I get.

I've found several references to both 2000 and 2002 as being the date of demolition. Certainly bulldozers went in on 13 November 2000, as I've come across this article:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/hacienda-2-1307735

But the differing dates quoted on various websites does make me think that the building was gutted and pretty much demolished in 2000, with possibly the outer shell being torn down in 2002.

This might explain the differing dates. I suppose it could just be that several sites have taken duff information (i.e. the 2002 date) and repeated the error.

>>>>>>>>>>
Edit:

Ok - Mystery partially solved.

Here's footage of the partially demolished Haçienda apparently taken on 03/03/01.
https://www.gettyimages....t-news-footage/115558632

So I think my theory is right. They did start to demolish it in 2000, but the whole building didn't come down until much later (probably 2002).

Phew! Quest over.

But if anyone does have any footage of the demolition process, especially the Hooky ceremonial start of the demolition, please let me know.

Edited by user 07 July 2020 13:33:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Michael Monkhouse  
#471 Posted : 07 July 2020 13:34:05(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

True Ripoff 94 was definitely 31.10.94. I remember cos there was a piss take letter in nme saying 'It's like Night of the Living Dead. Or more specifically:-Night of the Living Dead 94...' So Halloween was strangely appropriate.

Edited by user 07 July 2020 13:35:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Michael Monkhouse  
#472 Posted : 08 July 2020 03:27:16(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Read a fascinating article about Let Shit Be and the parallels with Rippedpubelick are irresistible: inter-group tension, wasted money, business trouble, solo projects, record label collapsing... Even one member practically taking over (Bernard/Paul) and an outside producer to make it work (Spector/Hague).
The only difference is that even Let It Be has flashers of genius, while Republic is total and utter fucking shit.

Edited by user 08 July 2020 03:28:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Debaser  
#473 Posted : 08 July 2020 03:36:56(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
..., while Republic is total and utter fucking shit.

Regret, Avalanche, World and RIAD (K Klass mix) called to say you're wrong.
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Rorschach on 08/07/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 13/07/2020(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#474 Posted : 08 July 2020 03:58:30(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Feels like I've been here before.
perspexorange  
#475 Posted : 08 July 2020 06:21:45(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
..., while Republic is total and utter fucking shit.

Regret, Avalanche, World and RIAD (K Klass mix) called to say you're wrong.

Let's not forget Special.
Second only to Regret for me on the LP.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Rorschach on 08/07/2020(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 13/07/2020(UTC)