logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

21 Pages«<1314151617>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
keepitcoming  
#351 Posted : 19 August 2018 02:55:21(UTC)
keepitcoming

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
2 more things - #1 the
Misconception that Lost Sirens were dregs of the sessions. .Some fans still cannot fathom that they were songs saved for the next album. They knew they were good songs and that changing music attitudes would not affect the songs in 3-5 years The mistake was not putting out a 2 record set .
#2 - playing new order songs for idiots will only exasperate. After playing a minute of dream attack the idiot said it was too tinny.I asked about her favourite music. She said Meatloaf. Why not Barf or Horsesuck ? So some theatrical pigfart is just great.,but not NO. Spare me ,
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/08/2018(UTC)
Debaser  
#352 Posted : 19 August 2018 06:34:49(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
2 more things - #1 the
Misconception that Lost Sirens were dregs of the sessions. .Some fans still cannot fathom that they were songs saved for the next album. They knew they were good songs and that changing music attitudes would not affect the songs in 3-5 years The mistake was not putting out a 2 record set .

I don't listen to Lost Sirens very much. Just me?

#2 - playing new order songs for idiots will only exasperate. After playing a minute of dream attack the idiot said it was too tinny.I asked about her favourite music. She said Meatloaf. Why not Barf or Horsesuck ? So some theatrical pigfart is just great.,but not NO. Spare me ,

Do I sense a hint of irritation from the normally laid back and spliffed-out Mr KIC?

My LZ playlist is about the same as NO sirens-18 songs but sirens are way better .

I cant help thinking that my top 18 fave Led Zep songs would mostly be better than the 18 songs from the Sirens period. Perhaps WFTSC would be the one exception. But it does feel a bit like comparing apples with oranges.

Lastly , Ok so NO is no good after technique to many NO fans , but what is more wonderful ? What have i missed. I admit the free discs from Mojo and Q ,etc.often have cool wonderful stuff, and some bands have a lot of great songs (Luna for instance)but what band is better than NO after 1989? I cannot come up with any names other than Luna.

Well in the immediate aftermath of Technique...
The Stone Roses debut (actually from '88) seemed to slowly rise up, it felt like something new for the 90's (singles were still being released off it in '91)
Pixies released their best albums in '88 and '89 but still felt new and fresh, when I saw them circa 91/92.
Primal Scream's Screamadelica came out in '91. It felt like a reinvention of indie dance for the 90's.
The Rave/House scene as a whole felt like something new and different. And it spawned enduring acts like:
Underworld (mk II)
Leftfield
Chemical Brothers
Orbital
Prodigy (Fat Of The Land was great. Diasagree? Fight me!)
St Etienne
DJ Shadow
Portishead
Massive Attack (Blue Lines was overrated but the two albums that followed it were great)
REM started in the 80's but '92's Automatic For The People was huge (as was '91's Out Of Time)
Radiohead
Paul Weller
Nick Cave
The Verve
Sparklehorse
Jesus & Mary Chain were still good in 92 & 94.
Manic Street Preachers
Bjork
Beck
My Bloody Valentine
Sonic Youth
U2's Achtung Baby ('91) and Zooropa ('93) were my favourite albums by them (controversial, I know)
PJ Harvey
Pulp
Boo Radleys
Morrissey (Vauxhall and I was fantastic, Your Arsenal was also pretty good. Too bad about present day Moz)

Want to get more recent than the 90s?
Arcade Fire
Beta Band
Mercury Rev
Doves
British Sea Power
Elbow (surprisingly devisive, this)
Queens Of The Stone Age
The Strokes (first album)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
LCD Soundsystem
Vampire Weekend
White Stripes
The xx
Fat White Family

What have I missed?
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Rorschach  
#353 Posted : 20 August 2018 02:20:19(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Well in the immediate aftermath of Technique...

... What have I missed?

Electronic?
thanks 1 user thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#354 Posted : 20 August 2018 02:53:45(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I don't mind Dracula's Asshole. It's no True Faith, but... The synth ending is reminiscent of All The Way, the beats are crisp, and it was awesome to get THAT bass after years of bolox (Republic, Rest Of, Video 586). Title aside, the lyrics manage to be shite but tight, and tied in with the way I was feeling back then. Really not that bad.
Not a fan of Lost Sirens either - I'll Stay With You and that's about it. Sugarcane was touted about ten years earlier and still shit.
The wake of Technique? Dicking about with Hassie and Factory and off-shoots (only one being any good), followed by perhaps their worst ever album. Feels like I've been here before.
I may be in the minority, but I believe THIS is the greatest music ever recorded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDx1uHpY_S8

Edited by user 20 August 2018 05:39:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/08/2018(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 22/08/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#355 Posted : 05 September 2018 04:14:31(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I've never been a Jizzstream hater. It wouldn't make my top ten, but it wouldn't make my bottom ten either... As I said before, people like to have their heroes and villains, but why pick on this when you have Liar, Chemical, Rock the Shack, Working Overtime? Just a feelgood track and as Hooky said (so it must be true) it benefitted from mixing. I would like to have sex with Ana Matronic and I say that will all due respect for Melanie C. Because I would not have sex with Mel C. I would make love.

Edited by user 05 September 2018 04:32:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/09/2018(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#356 Posted : 06 September 2018 19:53:14(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Was thanked: 359 time(s) in 212 post(s)
Jetstream + Guilt Is A Useless Emotion reviews posted.

I apologise for the time its taking to haul my way through this album.

thanks 1 user thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/09/2018(UTC)
Debaser  
#357 Posted : 07 September 2018 00:56:57(UTC)
Debaser

Having bought the UK version of WFTSC I then spent more money (than the first time) buying it again from Amazon US just for the Mac Quale remix of Guilt.
I remember the itunes remixes being dscussed on NOOL - Americans only.
I didn't bother trying to spend any more time/money on all the remixes that I didn't have. And to date I don't have any more of them in any shape or form.
How have I survived?
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer on 07/09/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/09/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#358 Posted : 07 September 2018 02:20:29(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Listened through the 2 Jetstream CDs I have recently to try and give the song and all the remixes a second chance. Nope, all still garbage. Possibly the worst song they ever did.

Guilt has some good ideas and good moments . Had never heard all those remixes until just recently. Took 13 years to get to hear them. Well, not even listened to all of them yet and need to listen again to the rest.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer on 07/09/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/09/2018(UTC)
The Shadow  
#359 Posted : 08 September 2018 02:30:08(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
JS is by far away their worst ever single, I can listen to it but certain”y ruins the single collection.

Not including the Xmas flexi it’s bottom 5 but maybe the best of the bottom 5 which are as follows

Liar
Working overtime
Chemical
Rock the shack
Jetstream
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/09/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#360 Posted : 09 September 2018 07:13:44(UTC)
perspexorange

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Shadow Go to Quoted Post
JS is by far away their worst ever single, I can listen to it but certain”y ruins the single collection.

Not including the Xmas flexi it’s bottom 5 but maybe the best of the bottom 5 which are as follows

Liar
Working overtime
Chemical
Rock the shack
Jetstream

My bottom five would be very similar to yours, with 'Working Overtime' being swapped out with 'Slow Jam'. Not sure on my order, but 'Chemical' gets my vote for worst New Order track.

I always ignore the two Xmas Flexi tracks too. I always think it's unfair to count these tracks on 'worst' lists, as they were just the band messing around. The same excuse can't be said for 'Chemical', 'RTS' etc., with the tracks appearing on LPs.

Guilt Is A Useless Emotion is a gem of a track. Beautiful, glimmering and priceless.
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/09/2018(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 12/09/2018(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#361 Posted : 12 September 2018 05:03:14(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Looks like a fairly standard 'worst of'. I'd like to meet someone who loves Liar. Actually, I wouldn't.
The flexi tracks were just a bit of fun for the punters - great to own if you're a colllector, but of scant (if any) musical value.
Like my mother with Africans and Eskimos, I blow hot and cold. Over GIAUE. When I first heard it, I thought 'Good name for average song' - the original 'Fast Synth' was more appropriate. Sounds like the Pet Shop Boys (which may be a compliment) or Raise The Pressure (which mayn't). Another grower.

Edited by user 12 September 2018 06:47:35(UTC)  | Reason: Specified

thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/09/2018(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 12/09/2018(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#362 Posted : 12 September 2018 16:43:32(UTC)
keepitcoming

Ok, I was going over charlatans, beck, british sea power, boo radleys ,pulp, blur radiohead ,oasis, stoneroses verve, st e, ,sparkle, Manic, white stripes ,cure , ,underworld, etc. All worthy , it was easy to put together some playlists and enjoy these bands, and even U2, . But exceptions like st etienne ,beck or charlatans where I can have more than a 10 song list are still rare, so patching together 3or 4 band's songs make everything great.
Even if 8 ball is the only underworld song i need ,and out of control by chemical bros, or waterfall, and adored the only stone roses songs i need ,they are enough, as great as anyhing.
Besides the joy of going thru all the pink floyd and public systems broadcasting, jane weaver ,josefin ohrn, real estate, Kurt vile, and dozens of others the last few weeks , plus imagining seeing new order at alexandra ,where the 14 HOUR Technicolor Dream with P F took place way back in '67,plus Nick Mason is touring with early PF songs including Syd Barrett songs.
And New New Order songs will happen , gosh they are so wonderful .
So PF and NO are the best .Hooky is nice, but Roger has been a twat ever since around 1976 .
And Rick Wright is the most beautiful and wonderful keyboardist in rock. .and the dozen PF songs written by Syd are so incredible i could easily name a few dozen or so rock superstars that are not fit to be mentioned on the same day or night as Syd,
We're like kestrels
ROCKET MICK on 30/09/2018(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#363 Posted : 12 September 2018 17:06:13(UTC)
keepitcoming

Singles by NO simply have to be bought. If extra songs are needed.., and almost every NO song is too good to be not needed. .Jet Stream has a girl singer that is ok.and not too noisy.
Plastic has the one girl singer that has to let us know she is there, therefore she is noisy , whereas many NO and electronic songs have girl singers not being much in the way.at all
Flying songs are rare ,this is one of the best flying songs , and Guilt is better than anything by hundreds of other bands. ,
Imagine all the other bands out there that are really clueless that they are not even in the same league as NO, it must suck to be other bands most of the time.
We're like kestrels
Debaser  
#364 Posted : 13 September 2018 05:24:48(UTC)
Debaser

.Jet Stream has a girl singer that is ok.and not too noisy.
Plastic has the one girl singer that has to let us know she is there, therefore she is noisy , whereas many NO and electronic songs have girl singers not being much in the way.at all

If you put that comment on twitter you'd have all the feminists on you in a flash!

Flying songs are rare ,this is one of the best flying songs

Fly Like An Eagle by Steve Miller Band is one of my favourites.
also:
Leaving On A Jet Plane from Technique.
Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Flying - The Beatles
Blackbird - the Beatles
Learning To Fly - Pink Floyd
Fly Me To The Moon - Julie London (less cool versions also available)
Night Flight To Venus - Boney M
Spoonman - Underworld
El Condor Pasa - Simon & Garfunkle / trad.
Weather To Fly - Elbow
Eight Miles High - The Byrds.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#365 Posted : 04 October 2018 06:01:43(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Turn is probably the strongest track on WFTSC. There were some negative comments round these parts, but in the words of William Shakespeare, Fuck off. There were also rumours it was gonna be a single - on and off like a street lady's undies:
- the '7" edit at the end of 'Singles'
- artwork of a Terne (pure Oscar Wilde)
- FOUR official vids
- the WFTSC megamix as a B-side...
However a punter asked DJ Hooky about it and he said, 'I have no idea.' I got the impression it gave way to that, 'interesting', 12 x 12 thing.
ROCKET MICK on 05/10/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#366 Posted : 04 October 2018 06:46:07(UTC)
Fotz

Turn, wow. Hadn’t listened to this one in a long long time but stuck it on just now before posting this. A lovely song.One that, as you say in your review Dennis, like the best New Order songs, penetrates deep into your consciousness. Great lyrics and vocals by Bernard, heart tugging melody & melancholy and it sounds so effortless which is hard to say about a lot of the other songs on WFTSC. It maybe treads a fine line in places of falling into sickly sweet sentimentality and MOR REM but the instrumentation, lyrics, vocals and pure loveliness of the thing raises it above and beyond.

Only downer with it was the fact it’s not the final song on the album.Working Overtime ruins the moment when it crashes in afterwards. What were they thinking??!!

Though the fact it is the final song on Singles hints that they wanted to make up for that, at least make it the final song on that as compensation. Should have been a single.

Edited by user 04 October 2018 06:47:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/10/2018(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#367 Posted : 15 October 2018 19:48:22(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Turn + Working Overtime reviews posted.

WFTSC complete. Bit knackered from that lot.

...and yes I know Vietnam is out of sequence.

Edited by user 15 October 2018 19:49:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#368 Posted : 16 October 2018 07:08:41(UTC)
Fotz

Working Overtime, ugh. I can’t even be bothered to listen to it again to try and re-evaluate it to see if it’s improved since the last time I listened to it many many years ago.A complete and utter dogs doo of a song.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#369 Posted : 16 October 2018 23:56:58(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I like to chat after sex with seagulls, but that's talking out of terne.
London got less than they bargained for. Wanking Overslimed. I think it was spun by DJHooker before release - odd choice.
50 Pound Note  
#370 Posted : 17 October 2018 05:03:03(UTC)
50 Pound Note

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 174 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
London got less than they bargained for.

Boy, that's the truth! I do love Republic, a handful of the associated remixes, and about 1/3 of WFTSC, but I tend to think of London as "the sh*t years."

Then we get a glorious return to form with Mute. NO belong on an indie.
thanks 2 users thanked 50 Pound Note for this useful post.
Rorschach on 17/10/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#371 Posted : 17 October 2018 11:34:38(UTC)
perspexorange

Originally Posted by: 50 Pound Note Go to Quoted Post
Then we get a glorious return to form with Mute. NO belong on an indie.

Yep - they certainly do.
It feels like they 'came home' by signing to Mute. Or as close as they could get.
I love Mute / Daniel Miller. Not as much as I loved Factory / Tony Wilson, but they are the next best thing, IMHO.

thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Rorschach on 19/10/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 23/10/2018(UTC)
50 Pound Note  
#372 Posted : 17 October 2018 13:52:40(UTC)
50 Pound Note

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 174 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
Yep - they certainly do. It feels like they 'came home' by signing to Mute. Or as close as they could get.

Agreed!

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
I love Mute / Daniel Miller. Not as much as I loved Factory / Tony Wilson, but they are the next best thing, IMHO.

When I saw NO at Wembley in October 2006 I met Daniel Miller. He was exiting the venue just as I was, and I shook his hand and thanked him for all the fantastic music. Little did I know, my favorite band would sign with him a few years later. Smile
thanks 1 user thanked 50 Pound Note for this useful post.
perspexorange  
#373 Posted : 17 October 2018 14:09:40(UTC)
perspexorange

That’s a pretty cool story.

Yeah - he was instrumental in getting a lot of great bands their start. DM and Fad Gadget especially.

Also, I love TVOD and Warm Leatherette. Innovative stuff.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#374 Posted : 22 November 2018 03:00:59(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I hardly know Vietnmam - dug it out on Boobtube, more out of curiosity than anything else. Re war-themed songs, PIL's Go Back is far more compelling than We All Stand.
The Cuntroll tracks are difficult to comment on. So I'm not gonna do it.
ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#375 Posted : 26 November 2018 20:37:33(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Vietnam + Exit + Hypnosis reviews posted.

As always thanks for your feedback, comments, and continuing interest in one fan's opinions...

ROCKET MICK on 20/12/2018(UTC)