logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#26 Posted : 10 September 2018 09:09:07(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3407 time(s) in 2236 post(s)
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own."

Nice to meet a fellow Prisoner fan. Smile

I'm a little too young to remember it first time around (I wasn't born for another few years) but picked up it when it was re-shown later on Channel 4.
I actually own the show 6 times on DVD / BD, which is a little worrying. It's one of the only TV shows / movies where I watch special features on the DVDs, such is the depth to the programme. So, if there are different features on different discs, I tend to get them. The latest '50th Anniversary' edition is rather wonderful with some cool features included.

The fact that I missed that New Order performance at Portmeirion is one of my life's major regrets. It was at a time when I wasn't frequenting any boards etc., so didn't hear about the gig until the day after. Therefore, I missed what would've been one of the seminal cultural moments of my life. The whole idea of having both my favourite band and TV show combined is incredible and I'm still very annoyed I missed it. Sounds like it was awesome too. Curse my bad luck. :-(

A similar thing happened with the Jodrell Bank gig; I found out about that after the event. New Order under a giant radio telescope - that sounds pretty great too.

Edited by user 10 September 2018 09:11:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/09/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#27 Posted : 10 September 2018 11:44:14(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Never properly watched The Prisoner in full, only a few episodes here n there when it was repeated on tv sometime in the 80s.Have never been to Portmeirion but it's something i really want to do sometime.That's a bummer Festival no 6 is no longer after this year's because it's unsustainableFrown I listened live to New Order's set there in 2012, 6Music had it on live on the Sunday night and New Order sounded on fire that night.Still have the recording, got it from somewhere soon after, possibly it was NotAmod who provided a link and download for it.I remember reading the report that Gillian was wearing a cape and hat for the gig and googled obsessively for images of that but only ever really found a distant , slightly blurred pic.

I did manage to get to the Jodrell Bank gig in July 2013, a memorable evening.All the visuals projected on to the telescope and, i think, Steve had created some new music that was played while some more great visuals were projected on to the telescope before New Order came back on for an encore.Still have the video from my phone of that bit where Steve's new composition was played with the stuff on the telescope.
thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser  
#28 Posted : 10 September 2018 12:45:51(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

I did manage to get to the Jodrell Bank gig in July 2013, a memorable evening.All the visuals projected on to the telescope and, i think, Steve had created some new music that was played while some more great visuals were projected on to the telescope before New Order came back on for an encore.Still have the video from my phone of that bit where Steve's new composition was played with the stuff on the telescope.

This?

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#29 Posted : 10 September 2018 12:59:35(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post

This?

Yep that's it.Can no longer find the clip i recorded on my laptop but i did upload it to YouTube back in 2013.It's a minute longer than that clip you linked to.

Edit:Edited clip so it's now in landscape and re uploaded to YT, deleted original.

Edited by user 21 September 2018 14:17:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#30 Posted : 11 September 2018 09:29:25(UTC)
perspexorange

Never properly watched The Prisoner in full, only a few episodes here n there when it was repeated on tv sometime in the 80s.Have never been to Portmeirion but it's something i really want to do sometime.

You should definitely try and pay a visit. It's a very special place with a unique atmosphere.
My only reservation about visiting is that it kind of kills the mystique of The Prisoner as a TV series, once you've been there - Seeing McGoohan struggling to escape from The Village, when you know that 100 yards behind him is a bus stop to Porthmadog. Big Grin

But, seriously, if you're anywhere near, go and see it. You won't be disappointed. It's even worth a lengthy drive - just make sure it's open beforehand. Wink

I listened live to New Order's set there in 2012, 6Music had it on live on the Sunday night and New Order sounded on fire that night.Still have the recording, got it from somewhere soon after, possibly it was NotAmod who provided a link and download for it.I remember reading the report that Gillian was wearing a cape and hat for the gig and googled obsessively for images of that but only ever really found a distant , slightly blurred pic.

There's footage on youtube of the gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m12zCR0z8b0

That footage of Transmission above includes shots of 'Rover' (The Village's guardian) menacingly on the beach, along with a sound clip of 'Dem Bones', which was famously used in the highly controversial last episode of the series, 'Fall Out'.

In the clip, you can see Bernard, Tom etc. were wearing the blazers, as previously mentioned.
Incidentally, I've always wanted one of those blazers. You can buy them from The Prisoner shop at Portmeirion, which is actually in No. 6's fictional house in The Village (i.e. McGoohan's character's house).

You can also clearly see Gillian wearing the cape and hat favoured by the female villagers at around the 4:08 mark. Again, incidentally, McGoohan himself does get to wear a cape once during the series - during the famous 'human chess' scene in the episode 'Checkmate' (I'm geeking out a bit here, sorry!).

Those clips you both posted are great. never seen that before.

The above things have not done much to allay my fears that I missed two magnificent events. Frown

Edited by user 11 September 2018 09:30:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fotzepolitic  
#31 Posted : 11 September 2018 12:44:51(UTC)
Fotz

Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post

.I remember reading the report that Gillian was wearing a cape and hat for the gig and googled obsessively for images of that but only ever really found a distant , slightly blurred pic.

There's footage on youtube of the gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m12zCR0z

That footage of Transmission above includes shots of 'Rover' (The Village's guardian) menacingly on the beach, along with a sound clip of 'Dem Bones', which was famously used in the highly controversial last episode of the series, 'Fall Out'.

In the clip, you can see Bernard, Tom etc. were wearing the blazers, as previously mentioned.
Incidentally, I've always wanted one of those blazers. You can buy them from The Prisoner shop at Portmeirion, which is actually in No. 6's fictional house in The Village (i.e. McGoohan's character's house).

You can also clearly see Gillian wearing the cape and hat favoured by the female villagers at around the 4:08 mark.

Yep think i saw that clip back then, the shots of Rover are followed by 2 guys bringing a Rover on to stage.The idea i recall reading was that they would throw the Rover into and over the crowd but the smoke machines that went off just before they did were so excessive nobody could see anything and the energetic dry ice blowers possibly prevented it from getting off the stage and it blew back to the rear of the stage lol.

Still, i got a screen grab just now of Gillian and have added it to my folder where i have the recording of the gigSmile

UserPostedImage

ROCKET MICK on 12/09/2018(UTC)
The Japanese One  
#32 Posted : 11 September 2018 14:57:08(UTC)
The Japanese One

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
You should definitely try and pay a visit. It's a very special place with a unique atmosphere.
My only reservation about visiting is that it kind of kills the mystique of The Prisoner as a TV series, once you've been there - Seeing McGoohan struggling to escape from The Village, when you know that 100 yards behind him is a bus stop to Porthmadog. Big Grin

Yeah, for instance, when I visited “the dome” on top of the hill that was used as the residence of No.2, the headquarter office of the village in the drama, I found it actually a tiny chamber, not a huge, cavernous hall seen on TV. Quite an anticlimactic experience that was lol.

Yep think i saw that clip back then, the shots of Rover are followed by 2 guys bringing a Rover on to stage.The idea i recall reading was that they would throw the Rover into and over the crowd but the smoke machines that went off just before they did were so excessive nobody could see anything and the energetic dry ice blowers possibly prevented it from getting off the stage and it blew back to the rear of the stage lol.

This jogged my memory, and yes, your recollection/quote is correct. The Rovers actually didn’t bounce up and down over the crowd’s heads. And probably there weren’t a number of them, just one.Rolling And it was barely seen by us audience because of the smoke. I mixed it up with the later years at FN6 perhaps.

Some of their peculiar live presentations of recent years, e.g. Portmeirion, Jodrell Bank, Warehouse Project, Castlefield Bowl, Granada Studios — I was there at all of them.

I don’t miss the WHP gig though.No
thanks 1 user thanked The Japanese One for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/09/2018(UTC)
Debaser  
#33 Posted : 13 September 2018 20:32:12(UTC)
Debaser

Read something about the doc will be shown this weekend at Festival no 6. 1pm til 2.10 pm on one of the days. So the doc is not much more than an hour long? Thought it’d be 1.1/2 to 2 hours but probably it’ll be 1.1/2 hours air time but 20 minutes of that will be frickin ad breaks so 70 minutes of the actual doc.

It has a two hour time slot scheduled: 9pm- 11pm, as per Sky's listing Here or Here. I guess you can't expect much longer than that (well, unless it was two hours without adverts on the BBC).
You may notice that it's followed by NO live in Glasgow, 11pm to 1.15am.

I just need to figure out if any of the Kodi channel packages have Sky Arts as one of their channels. Cause I sure as hell don't have Sky Arts. Anyone here know which Kodi package may have it?
I know Kodi isn't great (buffering being the subject of many a Youtube video), but sometimes the less popular channels don't buffer.
If anyone has an android device (eg Samsung tablet) you can legally put Kodi (or it's "fork": SPMC) on there, courtesy of their totally legit website. It's just the free channel packages that aren't quite legal!
thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotz on 14/09/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/09/2018(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#34 Posted : 14 September 2018 06:03:53(UTC)
Fotz

Read something about the doc will be shown this weekend at Festival no 6. 1pm til 2.10 pm on one of the days. So the doc is not much more than an hour long? Thought it’d be 1.1/2 to 2 hours but probably it’ll be 1.1/2 hours air time but 20 minutes of that will be frickin ad breaks so 70 minutes of the actual doc.

It has a two hour time slot scheduled: 9pm- 11pm, as per Sky's listing Here or Here. I guess you can't expect much longer than that (well, unless it was two hours without adverts on the BBC).
You may notice that it's followed by NO live in Glasgow, 11pm to 1.15am.

I just need to figure out if any of the Kodi channel packages have Sky Arts as one of their channels. Cause I sure as hell don't have Sky Arts. Anyone here know which Kodi package may have it?
I know Kodi isn't great (buffering being the subject of many a Youtube video), but sometimes the less popular channels don't buffer.
If anyone has an android device (eg Samsung tablet) you can legally put Kodi (or it's "fork": SPMC) on there, courtesy of their totally legit website. It's just the free channel packages that aren't quite legal!

Thanks for the info.

I've vaguely heard of this Kodi thing but have't the foggiest exactly what it is, where i would get it or how to set it up.Is it some pirate box that enables you to watch any channel you want or something? It allows you to watch more television? I need to watch less television not more.

I haven't got Sky Arts on my tv package with Virgin Media so i'll just have to obtain the doc somehow at a later date after it's aired.

ROCKET MICK on 30/09/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#35 Posted : 14 September 2018 10:27:10(UTC)
perspexorange

Two hours? That's more like it!
Should be good.

I have Sky Arts via Now TV's Entertainment package.
If you are in the UK and don't want the commitment of Sky, this is the way to go. You can cancel and re-subscribe at any time. I think it's about £7-£8 per month.

I believe you can also get a 14-day free trial if you aren't already a member. This may be a good way for fans to watch the programme for free; subscribe for free, watch the programme, cancel the subscription.
It only works if you've never had a Now TV sub before though, I think. Also, as far as I know, NowTV is UK only (isn't it?).

Failing that, I'm sure someone will be clever enough to transfer their recording to a video file that can be shared (it's beyond my technical capabilities, sadly).
Fotzepolitic  
#36 Posted : 14 September 2018 11:35:33(UTC)
Fotz

Yeah i was looking at the Now tv option today.They are advertising a 14 day free trial but when i click on it it keeps going to a pay £7.99 a month option.I did have a free trial last year when i wanted to watch Twin Peaks:The Return though the later episodes of the series i had to obtain from elsewhere as my free trial had expired.If i can work out how to get the page to stay on sign up for free trial i'll go with that but as i've had a subscription for a free trial before i guess that rules me out , unless i try a different email address.But i'd have to watch it on my laptop and on which i don't know how to capture video.I know how to copy video from my tv box but to watch Now TV on my tv i think i have to have a Now TV gadget.Oh it's all too complicated, i'll just wait til it's ahem, available, on peer to peer sites.
Fotzepolitic  
#37 Posted : 21 September 2018 07:00:17(UTC)
Fotz

Well things are looking up.I've chatted to Virgin Media today and negotiated a package upgrade for a 12 month price that is cheaper than i was paying.It goes up after 12 months but i can simply cancel at that point and go back to my old package.So, i now have extra channels including Sky Arts and faster broadband speed (well, we'll see if it actually is faster but i'm not too fussed about that) and a better deal on my line rental.So, i now have Sky Arts and will record the doc tomorrow night and copy to my laptop.That's a relief. All set now.
thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
perspexorange on 21/09/2018(UTC), Debaser on 21/09/2018(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 30/09/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#38 Posted : 21 September 2018 07:30:51(UTC)
perspexorange

Great! Looking forward to seeing it myself.

I will be out tomorrow night but will watch first thing on Sunday morning via catch up.
Debaser  
#39 Posted : 21 September 2018 15:10:01(UTC)
Debaser

The programme immediately before Decades is also a NO thing. I didn't spot that before. Just thought I'd mention it...
Fotzepolitic  
#40 Posted : 21 September 2018 15:20:13(UTC)
Fotz

The programme immediately before Decades is also a NO thing. I didn't spot that before. Just thought I'd mention it...

Discovering New Order.Yeah it was originally shown in July 2015.Watched and recorded it at the time.Basically the story we all know and talking heads giving their twopenny's worth on the band and history though most of them weren't that familiar , to me at least.One was the guy i think who hosted the Sky Arts live acoustic thing Bad Lieutenant did back in 2009, one was a 6Music presenter (or former presenter) i didn't recognise and one was an Absolute Radio DJ (though don't let that put you off) and maybe one or two others.It's alright, nowt special.Think it was just knocked together pre Music Complete and the start of the build up to the release of that album.

Fotzepolitic  
#41 Posted : 21 September 2018 15:46:41(UTC)
Fotz

Hmm... just checked to see if Virgin Media have activated my new tv package including Sky Arts.They have and Sky Arts is on there but not Sky Arts HD. To get it in HD it seems requires a more expensive package. Bit disappointed at that but I’ll just have to settle for the non HD version, better than nothing.
Debaser  
#42 Posted : 22 September 2018 12:17:10(UTC)
Debaser

"charge up all the laptop batteries, get rid of all the porn" - Steve's thoughts on preparation for the MIF gig.
Am watching in low quality via Modbro/Kodi. Not buffering much at the moment, but that could be subject to change...

Fotzepolitic  
#43 Posted : 22 September 2018 12:49:37(UTC)
Fotz

Watching on Sky Arts. Great doc so far. Annoying I’m unable to watch it in HD though. Copying it to laptop as it plays.
surface  
#44 Posted : 22 September 2018 13:47:57(UTC)
surface

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Bloody hell, that was fantastic!!
thanks 1 user thanked surface for this useful post.
Fotzepolitic  
#45 Posted : 22 September 2018 13:58:12(UTC)
Fotz

Life affirming.A triumph. Decades ( the song) at the end was incredible. Immense.
perspexorange  
#46 Posted : 23 September 2018 03:27:01(UTC)
perspexorange

Just finished watching it.

Absolutely wonderful. One of the best music documentaries I've ever seen. A worthy tribute to an incredible band and the difficult project that was undertaken.

Just a few notes that came to mind whilst watching the documentary:

***Was trying to post various comments, but the board keeps rejecting it as SPAM. I tried splitting things down into bite-size chunks, but no good. so I guess I can't comment on this great documentary.***

Edited by user 23 September 2018 03:34:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

perspexorange  
#47 Posted : 23 September 2018 03:30:50(UTC)
perspexorange

***Ignore. See above.***

Mods - Is there any way to fix this SPAM thing? I've fallen foul of it a few times. It's just annoying that, after such a good, high-profile documentary, it's not been easy to discuss it. There was nothing in the text I was trying to post (no embedded links etc.). It was just plain text. I tried to change the formatting a few times, but to no avail.

Edited by user 23 September 2018 03:41:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NotAMod  
#48 Posted : 23 September 2018 04:37:09(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Initially, I had given up locating a way to watch as I refuse to pay for Sky however my missus has 'Now TV' included with her phone contract and so in the end I was able to log in and stream it on my PC. I cannot believe for a paid subscription service that Sky still rams adverts down your throat. Mind you, without the football nobody would go near them.

Anyway, it was worth the effort.

The documentary - as others have noted - is fantastic and a must-see for fans. I hope they release it properly in some form or if not at least put out a live album celebrating the project with a composite of the best tracks from each of the nights. I assume it was all recorded. The 'new' intro to Your Silent Face sounds incredible and I remember it distinctly from the two shows I attended in Manc & Vienna. Not to mention the 'finished' outro on Vanishing Point. It would be really nice to be able to listen to all that again. Perhaps it could be a crowd-funded Pledge Music exercise as they did with NOMC15 a while ago? I'm sure lots of people would dip their hands in their pocket and cough up.

The students performing a ukulele version of 'Decades' towards the end was an unexpected highlight. Talented people.

Even Hook's historical bass contributions received a compliment by Bernard. He didn't name him but was mentioned as the 'previous bass' Tongue

The split was not covered at all (probably wise).
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/10/2018(UTC)
perspexorange  
#49 Posted : 23 September 2018 05:46:37(UTC)
perspexorange

Sorry to hear about the spam issue, perspexorange.Must be incredibly frustrating.

Yep - it's immensely annoying. Have tried everything to get my message posted. All to no avail. Even tried logging out but, weirdly, the forum won't even let me do this.

Earlier today i made a copy of the doc with the ad breaks edited out.A difficult and often maddening task as i'm not that familiar with Windows Movie Maker.But it was a success in the end.

Thanks for doing this Fotz. I'm sure our friends overseas will appreciate it. I'll snag a copy for myself too. Here's hoping the band release the documentary on Blu-Ray, so that everyone will be able to buy it.

Here's also hoping that this message isn't blocked. I'm beginning to think that this forum has grudge against me. Wink
perspexorange  
#50 Posted : 23 September 2018 05:48:59(UTC)
perspexorange

Yay! It worked.

Just as an aside, if anyone is watching the documentary through NowTV on catch-up, the ads are thankfully removed from it (although you can see where they should fit, as there are 'New Order: Decades' graphics that appear every 15 mins or so).