logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

21 Pages«<34567>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
is it bro  
#101 Posted : 02 June 2017 15:12:00(UTC)
is it bro

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Good work Dennis.

thanks 2 users thanked is it bro for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/06/2017(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 03/06/2017(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#102 Posted : 02 June 2017 15:26:21(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dennis Remmer Go to Quoted Post
Dream Attack + The Happy One reviews now up. Technique era completed.

More than any other song on Technique, Dream Attack was the one song in the weeks and months after the album came out and then in the long hot summer of 1989 that became stuck in my head and constantly rattled around in my veins and bloodstream.It was ecstatic but at the same time melancholic, sad but at the same time optimistic.It was genius in its effortlessness.Bernard did say in the Melody Maker interview late 1988 a few weeks before Technique was released that he felt almost as if they weren't writing and creating the music , rather the music was coming down to and through them from some heaven or godly figure above and it seemed completely believable back then.I was actually surprised at the brilliance of Technique back then, when Substance was released 18 months before i had kind of thought oh they're running out of ideas by falling back on releasing a greatest hits.

Dream Attack is melancholic,optimistic, sad, hopeful, dreamy, touching, cool and a lot of other stuff that's impossible to put into words.

thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/06/2017(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 03/06/2017(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#103 Posted : 04 June 2017 12:40:50(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Dennis Remmer has added tons of something wonderful to the world of our favorite band . We of New Order fandom are lucky .
We're like kestrels
thanks 2 users thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/06/2017(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 04/06/2017(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#104 Posted : 12 June 2017 19:11:32(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Was thanked: 359 time(s) in 212 post(s)
World In Motion review posted. Factory era done London here we come ... Skeptic
thanks 2 users thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/06/2017(UTC), Fotz on 17/06/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#105 Posted : 14 June 2017 08:39:38(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
What's the difference between WIM 7" and WIM 12"? 2 quid. Fucking rip-off. Mind you it worked for Transmission.
I remember an NME WIM article where Bernard quipped, 'This must be the last straw for the JD fans!' The cover featured 'New Order's Barny and England's Barnsey' leering like teens who'd just mastered masturbation - 'KICKIN'!' - with a tiny pic of Ian in the corner: 'He died 10 years ago this wank'. Times change.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/06/2017(UTC)
Fotzepolitic  
#106 Posted : 17 June 2017 01:40:08(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Have just listened again to WIM and 'the b side' for the first time in ages to find my opinion of the song again.

WIM is frivolous but at the same time really clever and witty.You can't really listen to it straight after a classic New Order song like Leave Me Alone or Run, but it is a good song.It's a strange thing.It was clever and playful in a way none of NO's peers like Depeche Mode or U2 could ever have come up with.

I remember being aware in the early months of 1990 that New Order were going to release a song for England's upcoming World Cup campaign at Italia 90 but was wary yet hopeful it would be good.Sometime, a few weeks before it was released a friend who hated New Order told me he had heard it and said he did think it was a good football song- and he's Scottish! I hadn't then yet heard it and recall asking him what it was like and he described the fact it started with a football commentary bit and i was like ha! that's brilliant, there hadn't ever been a football song with something like that in before at that time as far as i knew (for years after the idea became ten 'a penny)

I first heard the song on the radio when i was at work one day a week or two before it was released.I actually think my first impression was a bit, oh they've just stuck a new beat over that tune Steve and Gillian did for that Reportage tv show.The football commentary parts are great though.I guess i took to the song more once i had bought the 12" and England's World Cup campaign gathered momentum.The lyrics perfectly describe "the beautiful game" and you have to take your hat off to Keith Allen for that, as far as i understand he wrote most if not all of them? Or at least he wrote the great John Barnes rap.

I sometimes wished the beat could have had a bit more of a thump, but maybe that wouldn't have suited the song so well.And i would have wished some of the keyboards from the beautiful Roli Mossimann 'b side' could have been more integrated in to the main version but that's minor quibbles.The song actually has a big ending ,true to New Order fashion, everything is thrown in for those last moments, the beery, celebratory "En-ger-land!" in there against Hooky's bass, Steve's addictive drums,Gillan's keyboards and the repeating football commentary "Well it is now!"

I love 'the b-side' and always play it after i've played the single version.Some beautiful synths and beats.

Haven't listened to the remixes much for years but i was lucky enough to be in the Hacienda one Saturday night in May 1990 just before the Italia 90 started and was on the dancefloor when the DJ ( could have been Pickering? Or Graeme Park? can't recall now) dropped the No Alla Violenza mix as the very last track of the night.It was the first time i had heard the mix and it was a great moment.Right place right time.

The sleeve was genius clever Saville - a map of the world as football panels and a blurred hot summer "sun" in the top corner stretching out towards a blue "sky".

Having said all that i'm not sure World In Motion is my favourite football song anymore.When the BBC kept playing it in the backgound of their coverage of Euro 2016 (or was it Brazil 2014? Or Both?) I often found myself thinking oh change the record.I sooner dig out Fat Les' Vindaloo if i want to stick a football record on to get me in the mood for an upcoming England match when they are in the Euros or World Cup every other summer (if they even qualify).I actually even like England's 1982 World Cup anthem 'We're On Our Way' these days.

1990 seems a million years ago now.England's semi-final defeat to West Germany a long distant memory from another lifetime.It bloody hurt big time back then and for years after whenever the clip of Waddle's penalty flying over the bar was shown on tv all the pain came flooding back.England's,again, semi final defeat to , again, the Germans, again on penalties, at Euro 96 actually hurt even more though and since those so near to the final yet so far landmarks for us English it's been an ongoing, repeating source of pain, embarrassment, anguish and shame every two years at major football tournaments ( or even less frequent when England don't even manage to qualify) .I don't see much change in the forseeable future.

Oh, also, i was once the proud owner back in 1990 (ok maybe proud isn't the right word) of a pair of EnglandNewOrder World In Motion shorts.

Edited by user 17 June 2017 01:45:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/06/2017(UTC), perspexorange on 18/06/2017(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 18/06/2017(UTC)
The Shadow  
#107 Posted : 17 June 2017 03:57:14(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
I'll never forget that semi final match. Hooky bought Revenge to Derby The Dial bar, watched the match with Hooky which at the being only 17 was amazing to be chatting with one of my heroes from new order. Hardly anyone attend the gig, less than 40 people. Hooky refused to go on stage until the match was over. Even though we lost its a memory that will always stay with me.
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/06/2017(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#108 Posted : 17 June 2017 17:44:01(UTC)
keepitcoming

Pink Floyd 's brilluant and beautiful Fearless ,from Meddle, with You'll Never Walk Alone, was the only football song I heard before WIM. WIM is a fine song but not very inspiring. New Order's Such A Good Thing does capture the feelings of anticipation , the excitement of sport, the childlike reverence, and it is just as inspiring for any sport- a fabulous magnificent song, The one by Ian McCulloch and the spice girls is such a dreadful abomination and shameful and horrible it should be played never again
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#109 Posted : 17 June 2017 23:13:04(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
The one by Ian McCulloch and the spice girls is such a dreadful abomination and shameful and horrible it should be played never again

I liked it but I'm biassed for two reasons (Melanie C's shoulderblades).
WIM was once called 'the best football song of all time'. What competition.
Debaser  
#110 Posted : 18 June 2017 01:33:16(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
I'm biassed for two reasons (Melanie C's shoulderblades).

Well it wasn't gonna be her breasts!

p.s. why are/were you so obsessed with this group? They foisted shit music on us and were so promo & merchandise-heavy they were impossible to avoid. Those of us who got into indie music did so to avoid commercial dross...
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/06/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#111 Posted : 18 June 2017 03:23:17(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I shall not rise to that.
I have to go for one day without mentioning any of the Spice Girls... Scary!

Edited by user 18 June 2017 03:33:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ROCKET MICK on 22/06/2017(UTC)
Andy  
#112 Posted : 18 June 2017 05:48:57(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3045 time(s) in 2127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
I'm biassed for two reasons (Melanie C's shoulderblades).

Well it wasn't gonna be her breasts!

p.s. why are/were you so obsessed with this group? They foisted shit music on us and were so promo & merchandise-heavy they were impossible to avoid. Those of us who got into indie music did so to avoid commercial dross...

Not a fan. But in those early, simpler times, I recall liking the tops they wore in the Wannabe video...
thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/06/2017(UTC)
Dennis Remmer  
#113 Posted : 03 July 2017 20:05:52(UTC)
Dennis Remmer

Man

Was thanked: 359 time(s) in 212 post(s)
We went off-piste a bit there didn't we...

Regret & World reviews now up...
thanks 1 user thanked Dennis Remmer for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/07/2017(UTC)
The Shadow  
#114 Posted : 04 July 2017 09:41:48(UTC)
The Shadow

Excellent review of Regret and the interim period of side projects. Completely agree with your review on Republic as a whole. I too was hugely disappointed after Technique and the Electronic album. Like you at the time other music interested me more, for me the basic channel sound of Berlin, Jeff Mills, Rob Hood, UR from Detroit. But time has proved this to be a lot better album than I originally thought particularly side A.
thanks 2 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/07/2017(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 09/07/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#115 Posted : 04 July 2017 10:35:54(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

The strange thing about Regret is I originally thought the Fire Island Mix was the ''''''''''proper'''''''''' version cos (a) I heard it on Rado One and (b) I bought the 12" and was used to Factory, i.e. the complete version on 12" with an edited 7". As such, it struck me as NICE but that's hardly a compliment - it wasn't until I heard the true version I understood it was classic NO - hesitant but heartfelt lyrics, swooming synth, dreamy drumming, crashing guitar and THAT bass, including one of the Hookster's finest moments since BLT. It bode well for the album, but that turned out to be bollocks. Unfortunately, it's been played to death - the only 'Reublic' gig constrant since, well, 'Republic... The Slow / Low mix was intriguing but like my genitals, far too long. The Fast / Throb mix was total filler and sadly auspicious for 65465376068756i53 London mixes: some overpaid, undertalented DJ indulges its ego at the band's / fans' expense but ooooooooh fuck, there's a token line from the original so this is New Order innit.
World never takes off for me, mainly cos there's no Hooky. The Perfecto mix pisses over the original, and - fact fans! - an original Brothers in Rhythm mix appeared on the RIAD 12". That's how bored I was back then. The video works though, not least cos of the Hitchcock one-sequence technique. It also reveals Gillian in all her awesome, stage-swaggering, heroic glory: one 64487068750850764076437643064074077th of a second in front of the camera and she still can't cope. She is the John Lydon of pap.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/07/2017(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 09/07/2017(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#116 Posted : 04 July 2017 21:06:56(UTC)
keepitcoming

The moody blues regret remix was the one I was always hoping for, but then New Order could have done some truly rousing versions of 'ride my seesaw', or 'question', but didn't.
Meanwhile ,
Republic is brilliant and groovy and the songs are easy to sing along with , especially avalanche
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/07/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#117 Posted : 04 July 2017 21:21:20(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
The moody blues regret remix was the one I was always hoping for, but then New Order could have done some truly rousing versions of 'ride my seesaw', or 'question', but didn't.

Yeah, I think everyone was expecting those.
Rorschach  
#118 Posted : 05 July 2017 07:08:09(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Getting a bit ahead here but on a Republic theme...

If only Times Change had always been a stonking instrumental.
thanks 2 users thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 05/07/2017(UTC), Dennis Remmer on 09/07/2017(UTC)
The Shadow  
#119 Posted : 05 July 2017 09:16:56(UTC)
The Shadow

Originally Posted by: Rorschach Go to Quoted Post
Getting a bit ahead here but on a Republic theme...

If only Times Change had always been a stonking instrumental.

That's what I thought when I heard the nstrumental on Saturday
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#120 Posted : 06 July 2017 03:57:47(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

That setlist looks awesome (unlike rowing, that's oarsome). It's like 1998 when they finally started digging out lesser-played tracks after 89 / 93's NO-by-nrs.
PS Special mention to the TOTP World for (a) Hooky miming like Pete Townsend to a synth and (b) Stephen looking even more mentally unstable than usual. Is he all right?
Deceiver  
#121 Posted : 06 July 2017 10:09:16(UTC)
Deceiver

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 85 post(s)
I've said this before, but I'll say it again in a way pertaining to this thread: the three Electronic albums really fill the gaps, during the 1990s, and almost seamlessly flow one after the other in conjunction with New Order. The electronic tracks on Technique hint at what Electronic (the album) will be. To me Republic is a refined sequel to Electronic and, in my opinion, the pinnacle of Bernard Sumner's work in this decade. The album is an to asset New Order and the band's star wouldn't burn quite so bright without it. Raise the Pressure is a more natural follow up to Republic than Electronic. A definite relative in sound, but without Hague at the controls, has a sloppier execution. There is also a return to a greater number of guitar based tracks that nicely predicts Twisted Tenderness. Get Ready is essentially a rawer version to Twisted Tenderness' heavy overproduction. For these reasons I primarily consider myself a fan of Bernard Sumner's music, as oppose to strictly New Order...

Edited by user 06 July 2017 10:12:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Deceiver for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer on 09/07/2017(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#122 Posted : 06 July 2017 21:30:07(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

These arguments run like me in front of Spice Girls videos.
I got into NO through the triple whammy of Substance, Technique and Electronic. After that it was more the fun of collecting than the actual music. Then the triple shite of Republic, Rest Of and Raise the Pressure and Things Would Never Be The Same Again.
I have to go for a whole day without making any childish innuendoes. It's long and hard but I can pull it off.
mmh  
#123 Posted : 06 July 2017 21:36:38(UTC)
mmh

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotzepolitic Go to Quoted Post

The sleeve was genius clever Saville - a map of the world as football panels and a blurred hot summer "sun" in the top corner stretching out towards a blue "sky".

turn the sleeve 90 degrees left...

thanks 1 user thanked mmh for this useful post.
Dennis Remmer on 09/07/2017(UTC)
Rorschach  
#124 Posted : 07 July 2017 01:43:35(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 258 post(s)
"E"

Mind blown!

Where will it end?
Michael Monkhouse  
#125 Posted : 07 July 2017 05:39:53(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Another rare World mix... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laI57L48THM Still a shit song though.