logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Johnny James  
#26 Posted : 10 September 2016 23:47:08(UTC)
Johnny James

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 943 time(s) in 438 post(s)
Originally Posted by: depthcharge Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: morgan1098 Go to Quoted Post

???? The same liner notes? The ones that describe WFTSC as New Order's latest album? Ugh. They could have at least tagged on a new paragraph at the end. I was hoping for a creative explanation of how I'll Stay With You qualifies as a "single."

Yeah one and the same, sadly. But did anyone really expect them to go to any effort to freshen this stuff up? Their track record with box sets and compilations is sloppy to say that least.

Do you really need the text in the booklet changing too? Really? It's correct for the time that the release was originally compiled, it's not meant to be a a 'new' thing.

Quote:
Imagine a day when a New Order label actually consults some hardcore fans before throwing together another compilation. Free expertise and error correction.

It's happened.

Edited by user 10 September 2016 23:53:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/09/2016(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#27 Posted : 11 September 2016 00:29:38(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 351 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
The Perfect Kiss appears to be the original 7" edit as opposed to the slightly longer/alternate one we got on Total.

...Meaning the actual UK seven inch version (3:51) remains unreleased on CD still - the 4:23 version was a promo.

Granted, the 3:51 version was a bit of a strange edit, so I can see why they put that 7" version on there.
thanks 1 user thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
The Shadow  
#28 Posted : 11 September 2016 00:53:46(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
The vinyl is beautifully packaged and worth the money. All tracks sounding great. Nice to have this on vinyl. No complaints here.

Looking forward to the new album 2020😜
thanks 1 user thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
lee  
#29 Posted : 11 September 2016 01:34:27(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)
When they started plugging this a few week ago I went to play the original release...for the first time I should add...and the first cd is blankBig Grin
thanks 1 user thanked lee for this useful post.
Mr Discography  
#30 Posted : 11 September 2016 01:52:37(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

I haven't received the CD from the New Order store yet, but 'Spooky' is the 'Republic' album version on the Spotify version of the remastered 'Singles', despite being labelled as the (Fluke) 'Minimix'. Is this the case on the LP/CD? Another tracklisting balls up?
Johnny James  
#31 Posted : 11 September 2016 02:18:15(UTC)
Johnny James

Originally Posted by: Mr Discography Go to Quoted Post
I haven't received the CD from the New Order store yet, but 'Spooky' is the 'Republic' album version on the Spotify version of the remastered 'Singles', despite being labelled as the (Fluke) 'Minimix'. Is this the case on the LP/CD? Another tracklisting balls up?

The CD/LP has the Minimix. It was a late change so I guess someone messed up the digital.

NotAMod  
#32 Posted : 11 September 2016 14:40:29(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1033 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
The Perfect Kiss appears to be the original 7" edit as opposed to the slightly longer/alternate one we got on Total.

...Meaning the actual UK seven inch version (3:51) remains unreleased on CD still - the 4:23 version was a promo.

Granted, the 3:51 version was a bit of a strange edit, so I can see why they put that 7" version on there.

The 'Ivan Ivan' edit? Yeah, I know the one you mean.

I remember years ago ripping a WAV copy of Perfect Kiss from disc one of Substance and after about half an hour editing in Cool Edit I'd convincingly recreated the 3:51 edit.

Could probably do it again from the remastered 12" on the (fixed) Low-life bonus disc so the sound quality's a bit better but doubt I'd have the patience these days...
thanks 1 user thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#33 Posted : 12 September 2016 05:45:15(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Let the fuck ups begin.
How to review a New Order album:
1. Listen to each song in isolation and make detailed notes on their initial impact; then, deadlines permitting, repeat a week later. Do the tracks grow steadily with each visit, or are they already wearing thin?
2. Pay particular attention to the lyrics, the 'soul' of each piece. Pinpoint if there are any cultural or historical references: if so, evaluate whether they are universalised or mere fads, which may hence seem trite after years or even months.
3. Do any songs seem to come particularly 'from the heart'? Then research the composer's personal environment at the time of writing. You can also use social networks to contact friends, business colleagues or even band members themselves. Do be discreet though: bear in mind that unless you can lavish Rolling-Stone-esque publicity and currency, you're unlikely to be their first port of call!
4. Try to remove the vocal track and objectively analyse the music itself. Maybe you locate a band trade mark or the influence of current trends: remember that the best bands are both 'a part of' yet 'apart from' the mainstream.
5. Order your thoughts into a coherent whole with a succinct introduction, detailed 'main body' and brief but satisfying conclusion; then print onto a single, double spaced A4 sheet of paper.
6. Roll up the piece of paper and shove it up your arse and write, OMG, New Order are AWESOME, they're AWESOME and I love them, they're so AWESOME, I mean HELLO? I mean I like ONLY GREW UP WITH THESE GUYS, they are MY BAND and they're AWESOME.

Edited by user 12 September 2016 06:24:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/09/2016(UTC)
depthcharge  
#34 Posted : 12 September 2016 07:13:54(UTC)
depthcharge

Was thanked: 307 time(s) in 189 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Johnny James Go to Quoted Post

Do you really need the text in the booklet changing too? Really? It's correct for the time that the release was originally compiled, it's not meant to be a a 'new' thing.

Not "needed" but would've been a nice touch at minimal effort. They went to the trouble of updating and adding tracks, so it is now somewhat of a "new" thing. The liner notes end with talk of WFTSC; the tracks now end at Lost Sirens.

Originally Posted by: depthcharge Go to Quoted Post

Imagine a day when a New Order label actually consults some hardcore fans before throwing together another compilation. Free expertise and error correction.

It's happened.

Do you care to elaborate? I've lost track - and interest - of the endless errors made on endless compilations over the years. Who can lay claim to what?
thanks 1 user thanked depthcharge for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/09/2016(UTC)
M1  
#35 Posted : 13 September 2016 01:51:41(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Seriously impressed with the sound on vinyl...wow!

My only criticism so far is some dodgy typesetting on the credits...Here to Stay and 1963, sorry, Nineteen63 seem to have gone walkies. Doesn't anyone proof these things?

But in the scheme of NO compilation fuckups that's a small price to pay ;)

Edited by user 13 September 2016 06:15:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/09/2016(UTC)
Coops  
#36 Posted : 13 September 2016 04:29:56(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Let the fuck ups begin.
1. Listen to each song in isolation and make detailed notes on their initial impact; then, deadlines permitting, repeat a week later. Do the tracks grow steadily with each visit, or are they already wearing thin?
2. Pay particular attention to the lyrics, the 'soul' of each piece. Pinpoint if there are any cultural or historical references: if so, evaluate whether they are universalised or mere fads, which may hence seem trite after years or even months.
3. Do any songs seem to come particularly 'from the heart'? Then research the composer's personal environment at the time of writing. You can also use social networks to contact friends, business colleagues or even band members themselves. Do be discreet though: bear in mind that unless you can lavish Rolling-Stone-esque publicity and currency, you're unlikely to be their first port of call!
4. Try to remove the vocal track and objectively analyse the music itself. Maybe you locate a band trade mark or the influence of current trends: remember that the best bands are both 'a part of' yet 'apart from' the mainstream.
5. Order your thoughts into a coherent whole with a succinct introduction, detailed 'main body' and brief but satisfying conclusion; then print onto a single, double spaced A4 sheet of paper.
6. Roll up the piece of paper and shove it up your arse and write, OMG, New Order are AWESOME, they're AWESOME and I love them, they're so AWESOME, I mean HELLO? I mean I like ONLY GREW UP WITH THESE GUYS, they are MY BAND and they're AWESOME.

What about mentioning dead singers and how often it rains in Manchester?
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
Shelf  
#37 Posted : 13 September 2016 19:12:47(UTC)
Shelf

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
The newly remastered version is infinitely superior to the original release, so I honestly hate to nitpick, but...

On the US CD edition, there is a brief bit of distortion at 00:18 on "World (The Price Of Love)." It's also present on the Spotify stream.

Can someone please confirm if this glitch is also present on the UK/EU CD?

Given that the radio edit of "World" is available elsewhere, it's not a deal breaker. However, it's a bit peculiar that a selection from the London era has an audible issue, as opposed to a track from the poorly maintained Factory archives.
thanks 1 user thanked Shelf for this useful post.
Johnny James  
#38 Posted : 14 September 2016 01:37:05(UTC)
Johnny James

Originally Posted by: Shelf Go to Quoted Post
The newly remastered version is infinitely superior to the original release, so I honestly hate to nitpick, but...

On the US CD edition, there is a brief bit of distortion at 00:18 on "World (The Price Of Love)." It's also present on the Spotify stream.

Given that the radio edit of "World" is available elsewhere, it's not a deal breaker. However, it's a bit peculiar that a selection from the London era has an audible issue, as opposed to a track from the poorly maintained Factory archives.

I can't hear anything on a rip of the UK one.

FWIW The Factory era material is all on analogue tapes and they're mostly present and correct. Analogue tape ages well if looked after and can still be transferred successfully.

On the other hand, the early London material is mostly on DAT, which has quality limitations and is prone to be unplayable.

thanks 3 users thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
the_blank_from_hell on 14/09/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 14/09/2016(UTC), Shelf on 14/09/2016(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell  
#39 Posted : 14 September 2016 01:38:17(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Shelf Go to Quoted Post

Yes, it's also present.
thanks 2 users thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/09/2016(UTC), Shelf on 14/09/2016(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell  
#40 Posted : 14 September 2016 01:47:47(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I'm getting old - I caught myself preferring CD2 to CD1.
thanks 1 user thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/09/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#41 Posted : 14 September 2016 02:20:23(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Coops Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
Let the fuck ups begin.

What about mentioning dead singers and how often it rains in Manchester?

The Curtis reference always cracks me up too. It's been 638063 years - do you think there's still a fan who doesn't know about it? Strange they never introduce Hooky as the brains behind Revenge, or Steve as co-Genius behind Night Voice.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
the_blank_from_hell on 14/09/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 14/09/2016(UTC)
Shelf  
#42 Posted : 14 September 2016 09:29:14(UTC)
Shelf

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I can't hear anything on a rip of the UK one.

FWIW The Factory era material is all on analogue tapes and they're mostly present and correct. Analogue tape ages well if looked after and can still be transferred successfully.

On the other hand, the early London material is mostly on DAT, which has quality limitations and is prone to be unplayable.

Fascinating - I would have expected the opposite.

When working with Factory master tapes, I would expect the key factor to consider is "if well looked after." Although James Nice at LTM has made a cottage industry out of preserving that back catalog.
thanks 1 user thanked Shelf for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/09/2016(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#43 Posted : 14 September 2016 11:04:29(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Listened to disc 1 on my commute today. 'The Perfect Kiss' is not the UK or FBN/promo seven inch version, nor the alternate seven inch mix from 'Total', but yet another variant. Listen carefully for the wobble at 0:02 (first chord after the four beat intro - also present on the 'Total' version, but not on the original seven inch). Also, at 2:06, the (much discussed) "Wh...." aborted attack from the "When you area alone at night" line present in the 'Low-Life', 'Total' and 7" edits is absent. So this version has either been created just for this compilation, or was an alternate edit from way back, incorrectly sourced for this compilation.

The promo (FBN) original seven inch was essentially the 'Low-Life' edit with the intro bongos + drum fill and four bars after both choruses edited out. And it still remains unreleased on CD - along with the actual, 3:51 UK seven inch version, of course!

All other versions on disc 1 are the correct, original seven inch mixes ('Blue Monday' excepted of course). So, not a bad attempt to correct this collection, but no cigar. They really should run their pre-masters past us fans (i.e. me) first for proper quality control!

My comments on disc 2 to follow after tomorrow's commute!

Edited by user 15 September 2016 14:43:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/09/2016(UTC), Shelf on 15/09/2016(UTC)
M1  
#44 Posted : 15 September 2016 02:41:29(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Anyone else have trouble with the download code with the vinyl edition? Screen comes up blank, no download and of course code is expired. Someone on FB complained about the same so I'm guessing it's an issue... :(
thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/09/2016(UTC)
Rorschach  
#45 Posted : 15 September 2016 02:55:11(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 258 post(s)
I've no interest in re-purchasing this remastered singles collection, much as it is nice to see some care being taken with the project.

However, JJ's mentioning Spooky's Minimix caused me to dust off my old 2CD Spooky single box and have a listen to the neglected Minimix & Magimix, which I had previously largely overlooked in favour of the Stadium mix, with its extra emphasis on the Hookybass. (Oh, how times change!)

What a pleasant surprise - I think I may be including Spooky Mini/Magimix on my next playlist, so thanks for that. :-)
thanks 1 user thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Mr Discography  
#46 Posted : 15 September 2016 12:25:38(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Played disc 2 on the cycle to work today. I can confirm that all are the correct single versions. Can also confirm the audio glitch on the left channel at 0:18 into 'World (The Price Of Love)', alas.

I have my own 7" singles playlist in my iTunes, and have updated it to include (almost) all of these new remasters, which - it has to be said - do sound very good. With the exception of:

- 'The Perfect Kiss', which I replaced with a vinyl grab of 3:51 UK 7" edit - but could also have replaced it with the FBN UK Promo Edit (which isn't the version on the remastered 'Singles', as mentioned in my earlier post above)
- 'World (The Price Of Love)', which I replaced with '(The Best Of) New Order' version
- '1963 (Arthur Baker Radio Mix)', which I thought a bit tinny on the new remaster, so I replaced it with the version from the US '(The Best Of) New Order', which has a warmer lower end to it.

I can also confirm that all tracks on the compilation have left and right channels the correct way round - unlike most on the original release which had them reversed (particularly most of the Factory singles).

So, almost a definitive collection, bar 'The Perfect Kiss' being an alternate, incorrect single edit (again); a very tiny audio glitch in 'World'; and a tinny remaster of '1963'. Naturally, I've added the four 'Music Complete' radio edits to the end of my iTunes playlist (and taken off 'Turn' and 'I'll Stay With You', which weren't singles, and 'Blue Monday' 12", which wasn't a 7" version).

But... The question is... should the definitive New Order 7" singles also include 'Guilt Is A Useless Emotion', which was a single in the US, but not in the UK..? What do you think?
thanks 2 users thanked Mr Discography for this useful post.
the_blank_from_hell on 16/09/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
negative1  
#47 Posted : 15 September 2016 12:40:07(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)

So, almost a definitive collection, bar 'The Perfect Kiss' being an alternate, incorrect single edit (again); a very tiny audio glitch in 'World'; and a tinny remaster of '1963'. Naturally, I've added the four 'Music Complete' radio edits to the end of my iTunes playlist (and taken off 'Turn' and 'I'll Stay With You', which weren't singles, and 'Blue Monday' 12", which wasn't a 7" version).

sure i'll stay with you was a promo:
https://www.discogs.com/...With-You/release/4482086

promo

Quote:

But... The question is... should the definitive New Order 7" singles also include 'Guilt Is A Useless Emotion', which was a single in the US, but not in the UK..? What do you think?

sure, add it, it's a single.

also, i would, and will add the japanese 7" promo edit of blue monday (or the video edit), since they were official.

there are promo edits on here anyways, so it's no different to me.

later

Edited by user 15 September 2016 12:42:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.
Mr Discography  
#48 Posted : 15 September 2016 12:42:52(UTC)
Mr Discography

Man

Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post

also, i would, and will add the japanese 7" promo edit of blue monday (or the video edit), since they were official.

later

I would do, but I don't have it (I own original copies of all the others). Does anyone have any of the original 'Blue Monday' 7" edits (apart from the band)?
Johnny James  
#49 Posted : 15 September 2016 13:13:30(UTC)
Johnny James

So, almost a definitive collection, bar 'The Perfect Kiss' being an alternate, incorrect single edit (again)

Recreated, but with an improved edit. Is that bad thing?

The nearest thing to a 7" edit was Morel's Pink Noise Radio mix. You could also argue for 'Hellbent', being that it was a promo single for 'Total'.

Also, if GIAUE should be there, so should 'Someone Like You' (also a remix only release).

Where does it end?

negative1  
#50 Posted : 15 September 2016 13:27:37(UTC)
negative1

Was thanked: 1657 time(s) in 1151 post(s)
Originally Posted by: negative1 Go to Quoted Post

later

I would do, but I don't have it (I own original copies of all the others). Does anyone have any of the original 'Blue Monday' 7" edits (apart from the band)?

there are plenty of recreations.

and in fact a really good copy on the recycle bootleg:

https://www.discogs.com/...m-Recycle/release/885232

3 Blue Monday (Seven Inch Edit) 4:09

recycle

later

thanks 1 user thanked negative1 for this useful post.