logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

12 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Moderne Decay  
#76 Posted : 15 August 2016 21:41:54(UTC)
Moderne Decay

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 79order Go to Quoted Post
2, book will appreciate in value once signed.

You shouldn't put price on memories though. I remember meeting Lou Reed years ago at UCLA and got to chat with him about his album The Raven. I had him sign a book of his lyrics, plus a copy of Metal Machine Music which he thought was funny. It totally broke my heart when he passed away since I'm such a big fan of his, so there's no way anyone could talk me out of selling these things. I'd rather donate them to some museum when I'm dead as part of my will.
thanks 1 user thanked Moderne Decay for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/08/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#77 Posted : 16 August 2016 00:59:45(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
I think it's hilarious people continue to read Hooky interviews and get upset by them. What the fook do you expect?
- So Hooky babes, how's it going with NO?
Oh they're awesome! I just loves 'em, they're such an awesome buncha guys, except Gilly of course, she's an awesome buncha gal! (laughs) We get on just awesome and meet up 5389523 times a day for a chat and a beer and a kiss on the bottom. And if Barnster's phone is off just one billisecond, gosh I do get the heebeegeebees.
- The court case?
Oh that old thing! What an utter beast I was. Soz guys.
- And the future?
Well Bernard and the boys are touring the last album which is awesome and I'm touring with them! While I play dat funky bass along with Tom they play with me and the Light next door. It's all so just sooooo lovely now.
- Thanks Hooky.
Huggy babes!
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
79order on 16/08/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 22/08/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#78 Posted : 16 August 2016 01:02:27(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

PS When you're dead you can't donate things. You have to do it before.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Moderne Decay  
#79 Posted : 16 August 2016 12:39:47(UTC)
Moderne Decay

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
So how is this for an idea...

The Light of New Order: World Tour

50/50 touring income & expenses split between The Light performing alongside New Order without overlapping songs.

Of course this idea would be shot down by all the dueling lawyers working behind the scenes, but fuck it. It would funnel all the money back into both parties and even the score.
thanks 1 user thanked Moderne Decay for this useful post.
Coops  
#80 Posted : 16 August 2016 23:19:18(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
PS When you're dead you can't donate things. You have to do it before.

You can donate organs. And eyes. Or are they classed as organs?
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#81 Posted : 17 August 2016 03:15:29(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Moderne Decay Go to Quoted Post
So how is this for an idea...

The Light of New Order: World Tour

50/50 touring income & expenses split between The Light performing alongside New Order without overlapping songs.

Of course this idea would be shot down by all the dueling lawyers working behind the scenes, but fuck it. It would funnel all the money back into both parties and even the score.

This will happen.
Speaking of problem-shooting, I just heard a track by popular Italian singer Gianna Nannini. It's about wars and bombs and killing, and she argues wars and bombs and killing are bad because bombs kill people in wars. The chorus urges, 'Stop it!' World leaders were listening to Top of The Popsters and agreed to stop all wars and bombs and killing by supper. Well done! Ms Nannini now plans to free every political prisoner, feed all African children (even the naughty ones) and cure each known disease just before she sends the kids back to school. Keep it up Gianna, you're AWESOME.
I agree that all the Hooky-bashing is good publicity for the guy. It's like, Weren't you flabbergasted to hear Melanie Trump ain't writing her own speeches? The joke was on us cos (a) being surprised means we must've respected her in the first place, and (b) we are now her unpaid, untiring publicity agents. For fuck's sake, she even sounds like a Spice Girl - Melanie A.

Edited by user 17 August 2016 03:23:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BazG  
#82 Posted : 22 August 2016 13:40:16(UTC)
BazG

Man

Was thanked: 276 time(s) in 208 post(s)
New Order bassist Peter Hook is coming to Manchester to launch his long awaited memoir about life with his chart topping band.

Substance: Inside New Order is Hook's third autobiographical release and in it the Salford musician promises to give a “no-holds-barred” account of life inside the band he is currently locked in a legal wrangle with.

The book is full of private photos and candid memories and compliments his two previous releases - The Hacienda: How Not To Run A Club about his time as co-owner of the ill-fated Manchester night spot, and Unknown Pleasures: Inside Joy Division charting the life of his first band with Ian Curtis, Bernard Sumner, and Stephen Morris.

He'll be in Manchester on October 10 for a special in conversation event at Albert Square Chop House with DJ, radio broadcaster, and Inspiral Carpets organ player Clint Boon.

Tickets go on sale via eventim tomorrow, August 23, at 11am.

He promises to be as open about the trials and tribulations of band life at this one off evening as he has been in print. Hook will also be signing copies of the book after the talk.

Manchester Evening News

Edited by user 22 August 2016 13:44:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked BazG for this useful post.
Low Life  
#83 Posted : 25 August 2016 03:56:24(UTC)
Low Life

Man

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I really wish the MEN would get a sub-editor. Their standards of journalism are worse than my local free weekly rag:

compliment
noun
plural noun: compliments
ˈkɒmplɪm(ə)nt/

1. a polite expression of praise or admiration.

As for 'memoir about life with his chart topping band.' His band? Where's me popcorn.... ;o)
thanks 1 user thanked Low Life for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/08/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#84 Posted : 26 August 2016 03:41:11(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Moderne Decay Go to Quoted Post
All the Revenge, Electronic, The Other Two and even the Monaco albums are all equally brilliant. I feel no need to defend my tastes any further.

Revenge are like sex. Unfortunately, anal sex. Fucking shit. Even Hooky admitted the LP was just an excuse to tour... The EP was cool but it was practically Monaco by then.
Other 2? 2 albums in 25 years and they're both shit. That's a record in itself.
Electronic - yes, no, yes and no.
Monaco - yes, yes and no.
Number of times I will have this conversation: 753234064.
number of people who care what I think and might reconsider how they think: -942.
ROCKET MICK on 26/08/2016(UTC), 79order on 27/08/2016(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#85 Posted : 26 August 2016 03:46:26(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

PS I have an extremely rare unsigned copy of Hooky's last book.
ROCKET MICK on 26/08/2016(UTC), 79order on 27/08/2016(UTC)
Cranelane  
#86 Posted : 03 October 2016 12:02:03(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Peter Hook says Caroline Aherne was physically abusive during marriage

Musician claims in autobiography that the comedian, who died in July, attacked him with knives, bottles and chairs before split.

Link
thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
BazG  
#87 Posted : 03 October 2016 13:20:30(UTC)
BazG

Man

Joy Division and New Order bassist Peter Hook has caused quite a reaction with the revelation that he was an 'abused husband'.

The Manchester music legend reveals details of his marriage to comedian Caroline Aherne in his new autobiography - and it's an unflinching, and at times uncomfortable, read.

He says that when his ex-wife Caroline died in July, after a third battle with cancer, he 'couldn't in all good conscience' join in with the tributes to the Mrs Merton and Royle Family star.

Hook says he spiralled into clinical depression after he became an 'abused husband', claiming he suffered physical and mental abuse from Aherne.

Describing the start of the violent incidents, Hook writes: “She attacked me, using her nails to scratch at my neck, tearing off my necklace and ripping my top. It was proper shocking stuff."

"And although she was really contrite the next morning it marked the beginning of some serious screaming-banshee behaviour - putting cigarettes out on my arm, attacking me with bottles, knives, chairs and other assorted furniture.

He writes: “I was an abused husband and it’s embarrassing, and you feel ashamed, and you can’t tell anyone. I needed help.”

The revelation sparked a massive reaction when we published it last night, with social media debates about the rights and wrongs of revealing details about the personal life of a recently-departed celebrity - and the attitude of society to male victims of domestic violence and abuse.

Hayley Marie Newton wrote on Facebook: "A little inappropriate to publish this when she is dead and gone and not here to defend herself. I for one would boycott this purely for his lack of tact and sensitivity.

"I totally get that he may feel he has a right to tell his side of the story but there's a time, place and method and he has considered neither. Surely this would have been better discussed with a counsellor rather than the public."

And Mike McDonagh added: "It was no secret that she suffered from depression, she told the world she had done things she was not proud of. Let those who have died, die in peace with themselves and stop stirring up things that can not be answered or defended.

Ann Carson said: "Why now? If you have no respect for Caroline's memory, at least show some for her family. I remember some of the upset being in the press at the time. I think that was partly the reason she went Australia. Caroline was a genius but above all she was human."

And Nicola Barnes said: "And he chooses now to tell us? Why not when she was alive then she could defend herself?"

But many others said this reaction is part of the problem facing male victims of abusive relationships.

June Reece wrote: "Is it any wonder male victims don't speak out when this is the reaction....I don't/didnt know either of them and only they know the truth but it's sad to see people's reactions to this story....unless you have lived with abuse, you will never understand."

Lea Pearce said: "Would you all still be defending her if she was a man and he was a woman. Or would you assume she was just too scared to say while he was alive and feel sympathy for her? Amazing how much attitudes change and sympathy isn't given when it's a man that gets abused."

Joe Butler wrote: "So many hypocrites on here. Calling this man every name under the sun because he's spoken out about a woman.

"If this was a woman speaking out about her dead husband a lot of you would be singing a different song. No wonder violence and abuse against men is swept under the carpet and not taken seriously. You all might as well come out and say it, men can suffer in silence because only women will be taken seriously."

And Clare Devine defended the way Hook had made the revelation. She said: "If Peter Hook were just a regular member of a public then you could say he was cashing in by revealing this information. He's not - he was famous in his own right before her and was already writing his book before she sadly passed away.

"It happened and he has every right to share it. If it were the other way round, no-one would be complaining. She was much-loved and a comic genius but we have to accept that people have flaws and aren't the people we like to think they are."

Adrianh Leighton-Lawlor wrote: "Abuse is abuse! On a man or a women. Doesn't matter if the offender is dead or alive. I am a survivor of an abusive relationship, and reading the small bits in the article, I believe him."

And Amanda Murphy said: "He was writing the book when she died. It's not like he heard she died and then saw pound signs.

"Also if you know anything of Manchesters music scence and the Hacienda days, you will know he didn't need to mention her name to sell the book, he was making money from it irrespective of her involvement.

"To suggest he is speaking about the abuse he suffered to make money is as disgusting and the comments suggesting he should keep his abuse private. If he was a female there would be uproar...

"Don't think for one minute her family didn't know she had a darker side of her personality. They know she was human and that level of humour she was gifted with often comes from some form of pain or grief.

"She had cancer from a very early age and knew even though she was married she would never feel complete in that role as she would never have children. Don't tell me that didn't torture her because I won't believe it."

'Soviet' wrote on the Manchester Evening News website: "There's always two sides and sadly we'll probably only get to hear Peter's but Caroline had admitted to (and was widely reported as) having addiction and health problems.

"It would be a shame if Peter's book fails to cover how he may also have failed in their relationship - people can be troubled but often their partners can be the catalyst for a meltdown...but lets not let the celebrity status of the late great CA also prevent Peter from saying what he needs to...he has that right."

MEN

To be honest he'd most probably already written this before her death. Should he have pulled a whole chapter out of respect? Did he include it because she's not here to contest his picture of events? Is it all bollocks? Who knows?
BazG  
#88 Posted : 03 October 2016 14:39:41(UTC)
BazG

Man

Just to add, I just read this:

"In his book Hook says he didn’t pay tribute to ex-wife Caroline Aherne when she died because she physically abused him."

So the chapter was either written, or parts were added, after her death.

I personally think he could have handled it with more tact. Some things are personal and she isn't here to tell her side of the story. Others think it's important for him to share this publicly to raise awareness of men suffering domestic violence at the hands of their female counterparts. It just raises the question of why didn't he speak so much about it earlier?

Read more

Edited by user 03 October 2016 14:41:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Michael Monkhouse  
#89 Posted : 03 October 2016 23:05:33(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: BazG Go to Quoted Post
Others think it's important for him to share this publicly to raise awareness of men suffering domestic violence at the hands of their female counterparts.
Read more

Does anyone buy this? Hooky gives a shit about his fellow man and is doing his utmost to Do His Bit. The fact it's coming out at the same time as his autobiography (Wanking title, Not Again) and he hasn't written anything new since the First World War is just a coincidence...
'Spiralled into depression'.. This is how ''''''depressed'''''' he got. How did he cope? http://static.nme.com/im...le/PeterHookPA120411.jpg
Hooky The Nice Bunny... www.vamp.org/Siouxsie/Text/kdeyoe.94/0195.html ...
One of my favourite Hooky quotes is when he said he mixed Reading 93 'in floods of tears' cos he thought it was over... Vicking rockpig fuckhead in 'floods of tears'? He probably just listened to Revenge.

Edited by user 04 October 2016 02:01:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Andy on 04/10/2016(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC)
Debaser  
#90 Posted : 04 October 2016 02:11:37(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2987 time(s) in 2068 post(s)
Is it all bollocks? Who knows?

This is it. It's dificult to have an opinion. Instead of being able to discuss if it was brave of him to reveal this stuff, all I can think is: Is this true?
If it's true, then fair enough. If not, then it makes his "unique" version of the truth re: NO seem like small potatoes.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Alex_Loyal  
#91 Posted : 04 October 2016 05:20:36(UTC)
Alex_Loyal

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I just find it odd that after all the bile he has unleashed at New Order, and Bernard in particular saying how he was the victim, that up until now he has remained silent about being an abused husband. You would think that if he was the victim of abuse that once the marriage came to end he would be free and shot of her, but didn’t he get into a very public brawl with Caroline’s new boyfriend/partner that made the papers, hardly the behavior of somebody who was an abused victim in a marriage?

thanks 1 user thanked Alex_Loyal for this useful post.
Jonathan  
#92 Posted : 04 October 2016 07:59:00(UTC)
Jonathan

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
I'm pretty astonished with some of the outcry at Hooky's revelation. I don't recall seeing people suggesting the Savile abuse victims should keep silent since he was unable to defend himself (to draw a parallel with the situation, rather than severity of the crimes)
thanks 1 user thanked Jonathan for this useful post.
BazG  
#93 Posted : 04 October 2016 11:04:01(UTC)
BazG

Man

There were numerous victims of Jimmy Saville. He was a prolific sex pest. Complaints and allegations had been made against him when he was alive and dismissed by the authorities. They didn't all just come out of the woodwork when he died. He was lucky (if that's the word) to evade arrest and be trialled for his crimes for so long. He had friends and confidantes in high places. He also had the wealth to use to cover his tracks. I hardly think this is comparable in all honesty.

Edited by user 04 October 2016 11:05:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rosygale  
#94 Posted : 04 October 2016 12:06:39(UTC)
rosygale

Woman

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 81 post(s)
"Putting cigarettes out on my arm, attacking me with bottles, knives, chairs and other assorted furniture"

Leaving aside the suspicious timing - am I missing something, but he looks perfectly capable of defending himself against a woman especially one not in the greatest of health. And no one seems to have noticed anything amiss at the time, or kept very quiet if they did. It sounds like the kind of violence that would leave its mark - cigarette burns would leave a mark. A bottle attack, if directed at the face, would leave horrendous highly visible bruising and cuts. Did she attack his leg with a bottle perhaps? Did she (again, while not in the greatest of health) batter him with a chair, yet with no apparent bruising? Attack with a knife could be fatal, there would be no hiding it. At the very least, photographic evidence is called for. 20 years ago, it was before everyone had a camera on their phone, but he was in the public eye. Mental abuse is more plausible (to an outsider, anyway) but once again, we’re getting only one side of the story.

I don’t think Caroline Aherne had quite the same teflon coating that Savile had either.

Sounds like the book will be a work of fiction - not that I'll be reading it.
thanks 1 user thanked rosygale for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#95 Posted : 04 October 2016 22:22:33(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Yeah... She certainly looks like one dangerous, violent bundle of rage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sta...f1d7af6d902047c38fac.jpg - and Hooky has a reputation for shying away from confrontation.
When I was at school my teacher said the WORST THING you can EVER do is split an infinitive. Interesting cos he was later outed as a pedo.

Edited by user 04 October 2016 22:27:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Michael Monkhouse  
#96 Posted : 04 October 2016 22:31:17(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

There were numerous victims of Jimmy Saville.

Yeah, one or two.
Cranelane  
#97 Posted : 04 October 2016 23:23:17(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Substance: Inside New Order by Peter Hook review – as debauched as Led Zep

Link
thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#98 Posted : 04 October 2016 23:43:38(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

The poblems started when Ian was born. And Bernard. And me. Bastards. Things were all right before that. I hate Tony for doing that. It's like Gillian won the snatch off my prize before the Pet Shop Boys won it. I honestly think if I hadn't hung my chicken on a kitchen in February next year she wouldn't been in Joy Division either too.
Coops  
#99 Posted : 04 October 2016 23:43:56(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
If folk think Hooky shoulda woulda coulda revealed all about Mrs Merton being violent towards him before now then, er, when exactly? In the middle of promoting Get Ready? Or before the encore of a Light gig? On Twitter?

He referred to her in the Joy Division book briefly in less than flattering terms so I, for one, was expecting some salacious revelation like this anyway.

People are getting on with the job of taking the piss out of Hooky already for this, bravo, low hanging fruit and all that, so I guess we'd best hope he has made it all up because if he hasn't then the abused is getting abused again.

Edited by user 04 October 2016 23:44:47(UTC)  | Reason: But he left New Order so he MUST be lying!!!1

thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
Rorschach  
#100 Posted : 05 October 2016 00:22:32(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 368 time(s) in 258 post(s)
As anyone paying the remotest attention to my posts in recent years would know, I cannot stand Peter Hook these days.

I rarely trust a word from his bitter mouth or pen.

But I for one, for what little it is worth, do not think he's lying about this. I too remember him alluding to unspecified issues with CA in the past. So this is what he meant.

I think he is well within his rights to put this in his autobiography.

But I won't be reading it - he's had all the coin he'll ever get from me.
thanks 2 users thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2016(UTC), Eimi on 30/10/2016(UTC)