logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Michael Monkhouse  
#26 Posted : 19 October 2014 10:19:23(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
republic is most sophisticated, and the show in montreaux 1993 captures new order magnificently. bernard is stellar in his red plaid shirt singing ' temptation' and 'everyone everywhere' , etc. and if only they had played ' special'. those republic songs are ultra-modern cole porter/gershwin/ j mercer/wodehouse/kern/berlin/arlen styled wonders for the likes of nat king cole or ella . . meanwhile, i wish 'top gear' would approach bernard and peter , as the reflections of long trips over and beyond the pennines, or to brighton and back on the lambretta seem remarkable and almost tender . 'star test' featured bernard way back then, also.

bernard is god, he do beatifulll songs i love him was lucky enough to make a wanck in a pub bar while confusion was playing in the next room it was a fabulous moment. peter god too lovely beard i was blessed to hear him say fuk off to me heaven such a moment also gillian, gillian lovely girl she's so humble strong and magnificent and stephen too. sometimes i feel happy to live in a universe where I'm a leprechaun in leopard-skin Lederhosen, shrinking ever further whilst the furthermost eons of the galaxy swirl and furl and curl amidst the echoing walls of my psyche, only to crystallize into the faces of the Welsh rugby team discussing limpid lizards who then metamorphose into the thighs of my father's lurid Labrador snivelling rabes onto the canvasses of Hieronymous Bosch's demonic plague besieging the walls of Troy till the wooden horse explodes into a thousand tiny fragments splashing into the sun.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2014(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#27 Posted : 19 October 2014 10:43:36(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: komakino Go to Quoted Post
As far a Republicgoes - which isn't very far - I seem to recall at the time that Steve and Gillian worked on a lot of the album by day with Barney working with Stephen Hague at night and Hook only being called for on occasion. Much of the publicity at the time was not done by Barney.

Republicis the sort of album that was bought by people who were in the Brittanica Music Club and is one where any band member would want to disassociate it from themselves. Wilson made negative remarks about the album while it was being made 'by the inner circle' and Hook stated recently that it is 'not really a New Order album'.

Hook won't tour it, so Republicisn't worth a light, so to speak :)

Hmmm... Feels like I've been here before but I got the impression Republic STARTED as a classic NO LP with Regret, Everyone Everywhere and Special... No coincidence that (some of) these were namechecked by Hooky in '92 and by Steve in '93 as the first and most significant tracks. No coincidence either they're the only ones played live, except for the singles which are kinda mandatory. But as they fell further and further apart it turned into a Hague / Sumner indulgence. There were rumours round the time that it was essentially a solo effort by one member and the member in question was hardly Hooky - journalists also commented on its closeness to 'Electronic' rather than 'Technique'. Strange cos I love 'Lec and fucking hate Rep.
And I think Hooky said he will tour it... And that isn't as bizarre a prospect as you might think! Remove Avalanche as The Other Two and exactly half the songs were played on the '93 tour (Regret, RIAD, World, Ev Ev, Special). And while Hook's low is the final mix he spends most of the gigs singing rather than playing - in fact paradoxically, Hague's ideal of singing with bass around it is just right for The Light!
Michael Monkhouse  
#28 Posted : 19 October 2014 10:46:30(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: NotAMod Go to Quoted Post
(Republic) charted reasonably well too).

So do One Direction. Success does not mean quality.

Debaser  
#29 Posted : 19 October 2014 13:00:44(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2997 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
leopard-skin Lederhosen.

Surely a contradicition? Perhaps Leopard print lederhosen.

thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Andy  
#30 Posted : 19 October 2014 14:48:25(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
republic is most sophisticated, and the show in montreaux 1993 captures new order magnificently. bernard is stellar in his red plaid shirt singing ' temptation' and 'everyone everywhere' , etc. and if only they had played ' special'. those republic songs are ultra-modern cole porter/gershwin/ j mercer/wodehouse/kern/berlin/arlen styled wonders for the likes of nat king cole or ella . . meanwhile, i wish 'top gear' would approach bernard and peter , as the reflections of long trips over and beyond the pennines, or to brighton and back on the lambretta seem remarkable and almost tender . 'star test' featured bernard way back then, also.

Beautiful words.

But we know what you really mean to say is " I love Bernard so much, I wish to slice him open and wear his skin".

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#31 Posted : 19 October 2014 23:43:48(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: Debaser Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
leopard-skin Lederhosen.

Surely a contradicition? Perhaps Leopard print lederhosen.

You're right. It made sense before.
Debaser  
#32 Posted : 20 October 2014 01:10:14(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2997 time(s) in 2072 post(s)
Indeed!
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.