logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
The Ruts  
#1 Posted : 03 October 2014 07:13:24(UTC)
The Ruts

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 43 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked The Ruts for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/10/2014(UTC)
Sponsor
Michael Monkhouse  
#2 Posted : 03 October 2014 22:14:31(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Fookin' 'ell I didn't expect this. I thought he'd maintain his usual reserved silence or be nice about it. A rare chance to hear from Hooky.
'In 1993 he fell out with Steve and Gillian over an interview where they said they wrote most of Republic.' - If booze-addled memory serves me right, back then there was talk of The Other Two writing most of 'Technique' while the other two indulged their suntans on the beach. Who the fuck would want to take credit for that piece of shit anyway?
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/10/2014(UTC)
Ruined in a day  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2014 02:36:40(UTC)
Ruined in a day

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Michael Monkhouse Go to Quoted Post
... back then there was talk of The Other Two writing most of 'Technique' while the other two indulged their suntans on the beach. Who the fuck would want to take credit for that piece of shit anyway?

Technique=piece of shit? Bold statement Big Grin Quite right about Republic, though.
thanks 1 user thanked Ruined in a day for this useful post.
Rorschach  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2014 02:42:04(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 369 time(s) in 258 post(s)
I have absolutely no interest in the opinions Neworder's previous bass player.
thanks 1 user thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
Bill  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2014 10:03:40(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
I've noticed recently that i've not had the "UNAUTHORISED ITEM IN THE BAGGAGE AREA" for some time when i've used the self service things in Asda.Bit odd..But hey ho.

But i have had really weird dreams lately.One dream i had involved Alison Goldfrapp stabbing and murdering a female singer in another band ( can't remember which band) and becoming a fugitive on the run.Very odd..But hey ho.

Edited by user 04 October 2014 11:48:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Debaser  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2014 12:52:07(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 2996 time(s) in 2071 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bill Go to Quoted Post
I've noticed recently that i've not had the "UNAUTHORISED ITEM IN THE BAGGAGE AREA" for some time when i've used the self service things in Asda.Bit odd..But hey ho.

But i have had really weird dreams lately.One dream i had involved Alison Goldfrapp stabbing and murdering a female singer in another band ( can't remember which band) and becoming a fugitive on the run.Very odd..But hey ho.

huh?
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
rosygale  
#7 Posted : 04 October 2014 16:52:14(UTC)
rosygale

Woman

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 81 post(s)
LoL

They're all in league ya know really. It's a conspiracy!
thanks 1 user thanked rosygale for this useful post.
M1  
#8 Posted : 06 October 2014 22:51:34(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Actually feel most of Hooky's observations are fair here
thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/10/2014(UTC)
Singularity  
#9 Posted : 07 October 2014 00:48:08(UTC)
Singularity

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: M1 Go to Quoted Post

Have to agree too - I am neutral and enjoy (new) New Order and Peter Hook and the light and have seen both play gigs (both brilliant).

I was massively disappointed by Barney's book in relation to New Order - it is mostly very superficial and no real deep insights at all, was looking forward to hearing about the making of all the albums and more references to playing live etc.. Better than nothing though I guess... :)

thanks 1 user thanked Singularity for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 07/10/2014(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#10 Posted : 11 October 2014 23:14:14(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Originally Posted by: M1 Go to Quoted Post

Yes but are they motivated by a desire to tell the truth or stir the shit?
ROCKET MICK on 12/10/2014(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#11 Posted : 12 October 2014 19:00:10(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
Bernard could have ended up as Syd Barrett or danny kirwan , with the touring , leading the band, loss of love and loved ones , and partying , rendering him incapable of going on. I am grateful he survived and now enjoys his life. Since his about face he has been fabulous on about 100 songs. And I am 100 percent positive the new songs will be fabulous as well. Syd and danny luckily wrote fabulous songs before they could not go on. Songs by kirwan and Bernard I never tire of . Can't say that about anyone else in music

We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/10/2014(UTC)
komakino  
#12 Posted : 13 October 2014 09:56:01(UTC)
komakino

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hook's analysis isn't a million miles from my own and whatever the truth, Hook's book will almost certainly be better by being more factual, more technical and more humorous.

As far a Republicgoes - which isn't very far - I seem to recall at the time that Steve and Gillian worked on a lot of the album by day with Barney working with Stephen Hague at night and Hook only being called for on occasion. Much of the publicity at the time was not done by Barney.

Republicis the sort of album that was bought by people who were in the Brittanica Music Club and is one where any band member would want to disassociate it from themselves. Wilson made negative remarks about the album while it was being made 'by the inner circle' and Hook stated recently that it is 'not really a New Order album'.

Hook won't tour it, so Republicisn't worth a light, so to speak :)

thanks 1 user thanked komakino for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/10/2014(UTC)
JG  
#13 Posted : 13 October 2014 10:54:04(UTC)
JG

Was thanked: 418 time(s) in 289 post(s)
Just read Hooky's comments and I kind of feel sorry for him. I used to feel he was just extremely bitter, but it appears he's deluded, almost become brain washed. Sometimes you can think about something so much, wish for an outcome so bad, that you convince yourself stuff has happened when it hasn't. In addition to that, he's gone so far with his vedetta that he probably realises it's too late to stop, he's got to continue.

For example, that Peter Saville tirade....anyone who's met PS will know he's the most polite and inoffensive guy you could ever meet. A real gentleman. If Hooky phoned up, PS is the kind of guy who might take a line to avoid a confrontation. Especially with a hot head like Hooky. Hooky was probably too drunk to remember it. And it did happen.

Some of the general points about the content of the book, writing methods, future vision etc...there is a little bit on this but it's very much the authors perogative. I've read a number of musicians autobiographies and they vary on this type of stuff.
thanks 1 user thanked JG for this useful post.
JG  
#14 Posted : 13 October 2014 11:13:26(UTC)
JG

Originally Posted by: komakino Go to Quoted Post
Hook's analysis isn't a million miles from my own and whatever the truth, Hook's book will almost certainly be better by being more factual, more technical and more humorous.

Bernard's approach has been more philosophical in style than Hookys and I suspect if you want more low-level details and song writing methodology then a Hooky book will offer more of it. The problem with any Hooky book is how much of it can you really believe? An individual's personal perspective will often differ as they will view the same situation through an entirely different lense and any context they choose to provide will always support the impression they want to create. But the writings of a bitter/vengeful mind will always produce a different result then a content and secure one. I always try to keep that in mind when I'm reading books or listening to interviews.

Mr_D1sco  
#15 Posted : 13 October 2014 15:18:18(UTC)
Mr_D1sco

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JG Go to Quoted Post
For example, that Peter Saville tirade....anyone who's met PS will know he's the most polite and inoffensive guy you could ever meet. A real gentleman. If Hooky phoned up, PS is the kind of guy who might take a line to avoid a confrontation. Especially with a hot head like Hooky. Hooky was probably too drunk to remember it. And it did happen.

Surely then if you read the piece like you say you have, then you would have seen this:

Quote:
so I phoned Peter. “Pete, I’m really sorry if I did this but I can’t remember,” and he said “No, I don’t remember it either. It didn’t happen and I’ll tell you why I think that. If we had fallen out we would have had to make up and that I would definitely have remembered.”

If it did happen (how can you claim that by the way, as I'm assuming you weren't there..) then why would Hooky make that up, knowing that his comments would be picked up globally? And thus could potentially land Peter Saville in hot water whilst doing so? It looks to me like he read that part of the book, genuinely could not recall it and was maybe embarrassed by it, called up Peter Saville to get the facts and Saville has told him it didn't happen, and must surely have given his permission for Hooky to quote him on it. But oh no it wouldn't be like Saint Bernard to make something up to sell his book & further enhance his apparent character assassination of Hooky now would it.... Smile

There are 2 sides to every story. Hooky's response here is very measured considering the circumstances & the lengths to which Bernard goes in his book to 'slag him off' as you Brits put it.

Edited by user 13 October 2014 15:19:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Mr_D1sco for this useful post.
NotAMod  
#16 Posted : 14 October 2014 02:15:54(UTC)
NotAMod

Groups: Moderators, Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 1035 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Wilson made negative remarks about the album [Republic] while it was being made 'by the inner circle'

Must admit I do find it hard to believe Wilson would be "trash-talking" an LP which at the time was being heralded as a potential cash cow to save his label. I'm not saying you're factually wrong but I wouldn't mind reading the interview(s) where he said that.

Hook won't tour it, so Republicisn't worth a light, so to speak :)

Republic is an easy album to deride and while it certainly isn't without its flaws it's still impressive they pulled the likes of Regret, Ruined In A Day, Everyone Everywhere, Special and Avalanche out of the bag. Just because it wasn't a 'bass assault' of Age Of Consent x 10 or a Brotherhood clone doesn't mean it wasn't a"New Order album". Hooky's name is on the sleeve, he's in all the promotional photos/videos and he was on the tour just as Bernard, Gillian and Steve were.

It's become convenient for some fans to lay the blame for their dislike of Republic squarely at the door of Bernard (mainly) or Stephen Hague. I prefer to think the band as a whole are ultimately responsible for any album they make: good or bad. If anyone reckons Republic is shit then like it or not all the band members played their part in that.

Personally I don't mind it, it's not half the disaster it's made out to be (and charted reasonably well too).
thanks 2 users thanked NotAMod for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/10/2014(UTC), JG on 14/10/2014(UTC)
JG  
#17 Posted : 14 October 2014 03:44:39(UTC)
JG

Originally Posted by: Mr_D1sco Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JG Go to Quoted Post

Surely then if you read the piece like you say you have, then you would have seen this:

Quote:
so I phoned Peter. “Pete, I’m really sorry if I did this but I can’t remember,” and he said “No, I don’t remember it either. It didn’t happen and I’ll tell you why I think that. If we had fallen out we would have had to make up and that I would definitely have remembered.”

If it did happen (how can you claim that by the way, as I'm assuming you weren't there..) then why would Hooky make that up, knowing that his comments would be picked up globally? And thus could potentially land Peter Saville in hot water whilst doing so?

Yes I did read that section as it was specifically the part I was commenting on. Thanks for your interest but I'm very comfortable on my position here. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions as to why H might say what he's said.
CTB  
#18 Posted : 14 October 2014 15:51:43(UTC)
CTB

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 57 post(s)
The apparent delusion is a bit sad, I agree - is Hooky genuinely not getting that Barney's apparently new-found happiness might just be due to the fact that he doesn't have to deal with Hooky any more..? Or is that simply not a possibility in Hooky's mind? He seems to imply Barney is pretending to be happy to make more money, which is a fairly paranoid position to take.

Curious to know just how exactly can he feel justified in being hurt at the spiteful and cruel treatment after the unfettered slagging Hooky has been slinging over the last few years. I've not finished Barney's book yet, but I've not yet read him calling Hooky a cunt or twatto yet.

Also, according to setlist.com, BL never played more than 3 JD songs in a set, more often they’d play just 2 out of 15 or so songs. OK, yes they'd do some NO stuff as well, but the point being made is that BL didn't rely solely on nostalgia or back catalogue when gigging - and every single Light gig relies entirely on nostalgia - not a single new note played in over 5 years. How can he counter that argument?

And for future reference - JG's info is invariably very good!
thanks 2 users thanked CTB for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/10/2014(UTC), JG on 17/10/2014(UTC)
Coops  
#19 Posted : 15 October 2014 00:50:43(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
I'm going to stick my neck out hugely and predict that when New Order release their new album Hooky wont like it.

Edited by user 15 October 2014 06:40:47(UTC)  | Reason: I am thick.

thanks 3 users thanked Coops for this useful post.
Andy on 15/10/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/10/2014(UTC), 79order on 17/10/2014(UTC)
komakino  
#20 Posted : 15 October 2014 09:48:14(UTC)
komakino

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Republic isn't a terrible album and it has got some decent tracks, but coming from where they were in 88/89' with Technique they hadn't move their sound on much at all, infact they were starting to retread old ground and the album was the first one of theirs that contained tracks that simply weren't good enough ('Liar' is the must obvious one that springs to mind). It was far too conservative in it's approach. The choice of producer was made to keep the band together and 'get-on', whereas they needed a producer who could take them to another level - despite their internal issues - and was never going to be Stephen Hague. This conservatism sadly followed in the remainder of their London Albums, which were patchy and indifferent. A mixed bag.

New Order were tailor made for the 1990's, they could of released a sparser, electronic/ambient sounding album - still with bass - a bit of an update of their PCL era of their career, but they blew it with Republic. They went down the wrong path. To be fair to them, they went for the money after the strain of Factory and weren't focused enough as their were too many distractions, which was understandable.

The best Neworder album was the one they never made, which is why I regard Neworder much more of a singles band, kind of the opposite of their previous incarnation.

It will be interesting to hear what Hook states in his book regarding the end of Factory era, musically speaking, though obviously that's just one members opinion.

Can't Steve do a book as well? :)
thanks 1 user thanked komakino for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/10/2014(UTC)
JG  
#21 Posted : 17 October 2014 08:32:31(UTC)
JG

Originally Posted by: CTB Go to Quoted Post
The apparent delusion is a bit sad, I agree - is Hooky genuinely not getting that Barney's apparently new-found happiness might just be due to the fact that he doesn't have to deal with Hooky any more..? Or is that simply not a possibility in Hooky's mind? He seems to imply Barney is pretending to be happy to make more money, which is a fairly paranoid position to take.

Curious to know just how exactly can he feel justified in being hurt at the spiteful and cruel treatment after the unfettered slagging Hooky has been slinging over the last few years. I've not finished Barney's book yet, but I've not yet read him calling Hooky a cunt or twatto yet.

Also, according to setlist.com, BL never played more than 3 JD songs in a set, more often they’d play just 2 out of 15 or so songs. OK, yes they'd do some NO stuff as well, but the point being made is that BL didn't rely solely on nostalgia or back catalogue when gigging - and every single Light gig relies entirely on nostalgia - not a single new note played in over 5 years. How can he counter that argument?

And for future reference - JG's info is invariably very good!

The 'cruel and spiteful' comment is another example of his mental state. Hooky has initiated the insults and abuse, recorded them for posterity in two books and keeps dishing it out in almost every frequent interview. Hooky could at least have been man enough to say 'fair fucks, I had that coming'. But no, his logic 'While I can slag Bernard from the roof tops, I'm going to play the victim card if he exercises the right of reply' is that of a spoilt child.

thanks 2 users thanked JG for this useful post.
79order on 17/10/2014(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 18/10/2014(UTC)
rosygale  
#22 Posted : 17 October 2014 12:53:33(UTC)
rosygale

Woman

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 81 post(s)
The usual guff from Hooky but these days it would be unusual if not so. Every so often he comes out with a corker like "I have to admit that I only have myself to blame for this because it was me that started the whole bloody book thing in the first place. So typically I brought it on all of us." - so if anyone else should write anything in book format on the subject, they must be copying him? - or "The reason, in my view of events, I split the band was that regarding Bernard I came to a point where I could no longer tolerate his behaviour." - but the band is still there. Should that be split from the band - or are we to believe Hooky is the only one in step?

I still love Republic after all these years.  It contains my favourite NO songs of all time.  I even like Liar - (kind of a mischievous song, which contrasts with the melancholy, if that's the right word, of the rest) - which seems to me where the album got its name from, though maybe my imagination is on overtime there. Yet I never thought of it as an album with less of Hooky. To regard Republic as not a New Order album is like saying the sky would be better in another colour, or the atlantic should be narrower or something … it couldn't be changed, without changing so many other things, the idea is meaningless.
thanks 1 user thanked rosygale for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/10/2014(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#23 Posted : 17 October 2014 15:34:48(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
republic is most sophisticated, and the show in montreaux 1993 captures new order magnificently. bernard is stellar in his red plaid shirt singing ' temptation' and 'everyone everywhere' , etc. and if only they had played ' special'. those republic songs are ultra-modern cole porter/gershwin/ j mercer/wodehouse/kern/berlin/arlen styled wonders for the likes of nat king cole or ella . . meanwhile, i wish 'top gear' would approach bernard and peter , as the reflections of long trips over and beyond the pennines, or to brighton and back on the lambretta seem remarkable and almost tender . 'star test' featured bernard way back then, also.
We're like kestrels
thanks 2 users thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/10/2014(UTC), 79order on 18/10/2014(UTC)
Johnny James  
#24 Posted : 18 October 2014 11:35:56(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
Originally Posted by: keepitcoming Go to Quoted Post
republic is most sophisticated, and the show in montreaux 1993 captures new order magnificently. bernard is stellar in his red plaid shirt singing ' temptation' and 'everyone everywhere' , etc. and if only they had played ' special'.

They did play Special, it was edited out.

thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/10/2014(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#25 Posted : 19 October 2014 10:15:08(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Republic is crap and we've had over twenty years to come to terms therewith. In the words of Gordon Ramsay, fuck it.
ROCKET MICK on 20/10/2014(UTC)