logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
is it bro  
#26 Posted : 23 January 2013 13:00:45(UTC)
is it bro

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 229 post(s)
I'd like to hear a mixed bag. Sublime catchy high tempo guitar pop in the regret, crystal mould. Dark broody synth heavy tracks like sunrise and this time of night. Slow downbeat numbers like ruined in a day, run wild and recoil (one of the best things they've ever done).

But if they write a rock the shock, working overtime track then I hope it stays off the album. And if any songs start "hey" or "what you doing" then Someone (Tom?) needs to scratch out the lyrics and rewrite them.

Maybe an ambient or instruental track in the elegia, avalanche mode too. Would also like to hear more Gillian vocals.

Also, if any dancy numbers are to be recorded then I hope they get a decent producer in. GIAUE mix was lame on album but remixes were great.

Also hopefully it won't be over produced and have too much sheen.

That's my two bobs worth.
thanks 3 users thanked is it bro for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/01/2013(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 23/01/2013(UTC), Mike C. on 01/02/2013(UTC)
Johnny77  
#27 Posted : 23 January 2013 13:26:53(UTC)
Johnny77

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hope they produce it themselves, make electronic album and it's kept quite raw like PC&L.

thanks 2 users thanked Johnny77 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/01/2013(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 23/01/2013(UTC)
Coops  
#28 Posted : 24 January 2013 00:09:54(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Thinking about it, this lack of Hooky noise could be a problem. I cant imagine they'd let/make that new lad play the same way as the Hookmeister, its just asking for trouble from every angle. So I dont know just how they're going to make it sound like New Order and not just Bad Electronic Other Two.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2013(UTC)
El Jarvo  
#29 Posted : 24 January 2013 01:17:25(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
We need some clapping.

I hope they rework each song to get a clapping section in there for the live shows.

Could be their new trademark, with the bass sound gone now.

Oh, and a cowbell would be nice too.

thanks 3 users thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/01/2013(UTC), NotAMod on 25/01/2013(UTC), Blue 5 on 30/03/2013(UTC)
World Domination: Complete  
#30 Posted : 24 January 2013 01:28:30(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
El Jarvo wrote:
We need some clapping.

I hope they rework each song to get a clapping section in there for the live shows.

Could be their new trademark, with the bass sound gone now.

Oh, and a cowbell would be nice too.

I agree Al, we need clapping, the clapping in True Faith and Temptation is sublime and really adds a Top of the Pops feel to the gigs. As for the Cowbell no one plays it quite like Barney. Hi
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
Aracri  
#31 Posted : 24 January 2013 09:24:05(UTC)
Aracri

Man

Was thanked: 403 time(s) in 355 post(s)
To me New Order without Hooky's basslines couldn't sounds as at most parts of "Republic". I would like to hear an album more similar to Electronic's début or "Raise the Pressure" or even sounds as Bad Lieutenant because I really like so much "Never Cry Another Tear". The lyrics are not something really important to me because what attracts me in New Order's music is the sound. I pay attention on the meaning of the words much time later. Cool

But I also expect a self produced album, singles with b-sides and not only remixes and Saville comeback as the graphic designer.

Edited by user 24 January 2013 09:29:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter Who?

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Aracri for this useful post.
#32 Posted : 24 January 2013 11:11:10(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Sage_ wrote:
Hi guys, I'd like to see what everyone thinks about this. What the new album should be like and logically what it could sound like.

First off, Gillian's around this time, so maybe we'll get more of an earthy, synth-laced sound? I hope her vocals feature again. I remember reading I think it was a year ago that she'd been practicing and brushing up for a project that we didn't see the end of. and I for one quite enjoyed her voice and singing style on The Other Two's albums.
Maybe she could have a verse, or some backing/support vocals, or an entire song even? Preferably not limited to one single word this time though. (Faith)

Next Tom and Phil are around. Now I hope this doesn't mean the album will have a Bad Loo feel to it as I don't care for the rock sound, both materialistically and musically.
but maybe the music will be a bit more advanced since they'll want to have something to do on stage?

Peter's gone, but I hope the album isn't lacking his presence. Chuck in some bold, iconic Peter Hook-style basslines I say.
Don't have them softly in the background like the last couple albums, I want to hear them loud and clear.

We all know New Order are together now as part of a reunion. They've done the reunion tour and freshened up the minds and hearts of long time fans.
but will this be a reunion album? (If that's such a thing.)
I hope it is.
A rebirth of the New Order we know.
Having some new sounds is great, it's the reason they're doing the album, but I hope there's a nice nostalgic helping to accommodate the world tour they did last year.
I'd love to see everyone re-learn why they fell in love with the band.

Lyrically, they need to up the ante.
No silly lyrics.
Californian Grass, Dracula's Castle, Rock the Shack, Jetstream, Every Second Counts. None of that please.
I hope there's more of a serious feel to the music and lyrics.
Go back to the dark lyrics of lost love and being an outsider. Remember when NO was enjoyed by the goth community?
No "old man" lyrics about waking up and going to work. That's not artistic enough.
The dark lyrics along with the dancey rhythm conflicts so very well, in such an iconic manner that's hard to find these days.
and please don't say "hey man" at all.
I'm sure between the five of them, they can come up with something that isn't laughable.

I'd prefer if they lent more towards a British style than American. (Language, references, accents.)
and there MUST be deadpan vocals, atleast on one track.

I think they should scrap everything from the past 20 years. Except maybe Bernard's Republic and Raise the Pressure style of singing.
Aswell as the tweaks and new bits they've done in live performances. Love those. (Broken beats, loud glitchy synth sounds, etc.)
And Barny's vocals MUST have reverb. If only just a little bit.
I honestly think Lost Sirens would sound better if there was a bit on his voice there.

Maybe have varying degrees? Heaps on a couple tracks, just a little on others.

I hope the album overall has a varied feel to it.

A guest appearance or two would be nice, but only if the album is of decent length. (Though I'd make an exception on that for the Chemical Brothers since the last two collaborations were so sublime.)
And I hope it is. Wouldn't it be great to have a big, 15-20 tracks? Even if there's an instrumental and a couple of interlude songs.
Though I don't really expect to see that. (A big album)

With Steve I wish they have his classic JD, quick drums and cymbals sound on a few of the tracks. and of course other drum pad beats.
I've read he collects old analog synthesizers. Repairs them and tinkers with them, and they apparently have interesting sounds because some of them are still half broken.
I'd love to hear this kind of thing on the album.
I really hope they enjoy themselves and experiment a little. (Aswell as getting a couple core tracks down, of course.)

For the overall sound, like I said before it'd be nice if it varied between new and old.
If you listen to the latest Human League album for example, it has modern elements mixed with retro-sounding elements. It creates music that sounds fresh but can be listened to back-to-back with the old albums with little transition.
I didn't really think that could be done before I heard that album.
The Pet Shop Boys do something roughly similar aswell. If you listen to their latest album they have very modern sounding tracks, but then they spring an 80's sample on you and it just sounds great without taking too much away from the fact that it's a new song.

I say, if we wanted a CD that sounded like it was made by a new band with no knowledge or respect of the past, then we'd look into actual new artists.
New Order are the pioneers of new wave as far as I'm concerned. and they should make use of that.

One last thing, I hope there's a slow song on the album. Like Vicious Streak or the opening verses of Californian Grass.

I hope this post doesn't just come across as a drunken rant to Santa Claus, but I'm glad to get this out there anyway.

Let us know what you want the new album to sound like. Be as vague or specific as you like.

If anyone knows what Phil & Tom are into EDM-wise, I'd like to see some light shed onto that.

I don't give a toss what it sounds like - live is where it's at like some of the GREAT DJ's we've seen
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
Dr Sheldon Cooper  
#33 Posted : 25 January 2013 04:48:55(UTC)
Dr Sheldon Cooper

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)

let's hope they keep it raw and don't overproduce it - no shiney dance producers, get someone with a bit of soul.

also, throw away bernard's rhyming dictionary - someone needs to man-up and tell him when his lyrics are a bit shite (don't get me wrong, he's written some BRILLIANT lyrics, but also some pretty stinky stuff too)!

alternatively, get them chem bros in to produce: Chems + NO = awesomeness
One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
thanks 2 users thanked Dr Sheldon Cooper for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2013(UTC), Mike C. on 01/02/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#34 Posted : 25 January 2013 06:40:38(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:

let's hope they keep it raw and don't overproduce it - no shiney dance producers, get someone with a bit of soul.

also, throw away bernard's rhyming dictionary - someone needs to man-up and tell him when his lyrics are a bit shite (don't get me wrong, he's written some BRILLIANT lyrics, but also some pretty stinky stuff too)!

There's a general vibe that the minute Barney says 'What'cha doin'?' it's degenerated into formula. Actually my dislike of his 'sort-yerself-out-mate' lyrics goes back to 2001 and Close Range/Dream On/Nothing's Gonna Change, though that sounds tougher live with a longer instrumental intro and stronger backing vocals.
Can't say I agree with the Chems comment. Out Of Control was mighty, especially when Sasha got involved, but Here To Stay can't be in anyone's Top Ten NO moments can it? A review dubbed it 'Will This Do?' Nice vid though.
I hope the new album comes quickly though I'd be amazed if anything emerged before 2015, probably 2016. I also hope it has a combination of Bernard's characteristically meaningless but heartfelt vocals (Dracula's Castle), Steve's immaculate thudding (Age of Consent), crashing guitars (Temptation), swirling synth (Regret) and a picture of Melanie C feeding me beer naked in a sauna on the cover. (That's Melanie naked, not me. I have standards of decency.) My only concern is for Tom and his lose-lose situation. Sound like Hook and there'll be moans of copycat; sound different and there'll be moans of it's-not-classic-NO. The logical solution is simply to play from the heart but God knows what'll happen...
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2013(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 29/01/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#35 Posted : 25 January 2013 08:14:08(UTC)
ZASmusic

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Michael Monkhouse wrote:
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:

There's a general vibe that the minute Barney says 'What'cha doin'?' it's degenerated into formula. Actually my dislike of his 'sort-yerself-out-mate' lyrics goes back to 2001 and Close Range/Dream On/Nothing's Gonna Change, though that sounds tougher live with a longer instrumental intro and stronger backing vocals.
Can't say I agree with the Chems comment. Out Of Control was mighty, especially when Sasha got involved, but Here To Stay can't be in anyone's Top Ten NO moments can it? A review dubbed it 'Will This Do?' Nice vid though.
I hope the new album comes quickly though I'd be amazed if anything emerged before 2015, probably 2016. I also hope it has a combination of Bernard's characteristically meaningless but heartfelt vocals (Dracula's Castle), Steve's immaculate thudding (Age of Consent), crashing guitars (Temptation), swirling synth (Regret) and a picture of Melanie C feeding me beer naked in a sauna on the cover. (That's Melanie naked, not me. I have standards of decency.) My only concern is for Tom and his lose-lose situation. Sound like Hook and there'll be moans of copycat; sound different and there'll be moans of it's-not-classic-NO. The logical solution is simply to play from the heart but God knows what'll happen...

Here To Stay is one of my favorite New Order tracks and I think it's one of New Order's best post 2000 singles. I know quite a few people who aren't even New Order fans and who like Here To Stay.

Also, part of my day job entails working with club and radio Dj's all over the US and Here To Stay was a favorite with them as well, as was Guilt Is a Useless Emotion.

Anyways, for a new record, I would love to hear something dark, synth and sequencer heavy, and raw. Steve's been talkign about how much he loves DFA Records lately, and I think that sound would be worthy of incorporating.

I would prefer New Order to self produce, but if they have to get an outside producer, I would James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem would be a superb choice, just look at his recent work with Pulp, plus early New Order were a big influence on LCD Soundsystem.

Also, Barney, for the love of God, please, no "Hey, man" lyrics. We know you can do better. Bernard's lyrics for BLT, True Faith, the entire Technique and Republic albums, Crystal, WFTSC (the song)...he can write great lyrics when he tries.

Edited by user 25 January 2013 08:20:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 25/01/2013(UTC), Low Life on 26/04/2013(UTC)
withnail  
#36 Posted : 29 January 2013 01:41:53(UTC)
withnail

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Band stabs and cowbells; lots of them.
thanks 1 user thanked withnail for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/01/2013(UTC)
#37 Posted : 29 January 2013 02:24:24(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

ZASmusic wrote:
Michael Monkhouse wrote:
Dr Sheldon Cooper wrote:

Here To Stay is one of my favorite New Order tracks and I think it's one of New Order's best post 2000 singles. I know quite a few people who aren't even New Order fans and who like Here To Stay.

Also, part of my day job entails working with club and radio Dj's all over the US and Here To Stay was a favorite with them as well, as was Guilt Is a Useless Emotion.

Anyways, for a new record, I would love to hear something dark, synth and sequencer heavy, and raw. Steve's been talkign about how much he loves DFA Records lately, and I think that sound would be worthy of incorporating.

I would prefer New Order to self produce, but if they have to get an outside producer, I would James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem would be a superb choice, just look at his recent work with Pulp, plus early New Order were a big influence on LCD Soundsystem.

Also, Barney, for the love of God, please, no "Hey, man" lyrics. We know you can do better. Bernard's lyrics for BLT, True Faith, the entire Technique and Republic albums, Crystal, WFTSC (the song)...he can write great lyrics when he tries.

Lot's of Whoops, a few COME ON's and more clapping is what we need Smile
thanks 2 users thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/01/2013(UTC), ZASmusic on 29/01/2013(UTC)
Biginoil  
#38 Posted : 01 February 2013 05:33:58(UTC)
Biginoil

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Some clues about what Tom Chapman sounds like when he's playing basslines he wrote himself might be found by listening to his band Rubberbear.

Then again, they might not.

Hope this helps.

Ner ner ner ner ner
thanks 1 user thanked Biginoil for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 01/02/2013(UTC)
tarbox23  
#39 Posted : 01 February 2013 05:58:52(UTC)
tarbox23

Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
I hear they are going to cover The Fall's Hex Induction Hour with only acoustic instruments.
Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 1 user thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#40 Posted : 01 February 2013 06:15:35(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Biginoil wrote:
Linus Solanki wrote:
Let's hope it is very good.

Well I for one certainly second that Linus.

Yes. So do I. I always preferred their good stuff.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Cranelane on 01/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/02/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#41 Posted : 01 February 2013 09:13:50(UTC)
ZASmusic

Biginoil wrote:
Some clues about what Tom Chapman sounds like when he's playing basslines he wrote himself might be found by listening to his band Rubberbear.

Then again, they might not.

Hope this helps.

It may indeed!

Also, if you listen to live New Order recordings from late 2012 shows, you can also hear where Tom has inserted his own playing into a lot of the songs, especially the low bass parts on True Faith. Also, at the NYC shows, the solo Tom played in Crystal on the second night was totally different from the usual version.

Tom has a fluid low end bass style, but can also play higher lead melodies, so I am hoping we will get some of that mixed in with Bernards voice, Steves drumming and programming, and Gillian's synths.

thanks 1 user thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
Cranelane  
#42 Posted : 01 February 2013 10:02:45(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
ZASmusic wrote:

Tom has a fluid low end bass style, but can also play higher lead melodies, so I am hoping we will get some of that mixed in with Bernards voice, Steves drumming and programming, and Gillian's synths.

and Phils guitars...

thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
Debaser  
#43 Posted : 01 February 2013 23:48:53(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3016 time(s) in 2077 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:

and Phils guitars...

yeah thanks for reminding us Oh well
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 03/02/2013(UTC)
0_o  
#44 Posted : 02 February 2013 09:11:13(UTC)
0_o

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Debaser wrote:
Cranelane wrote:

and Phils guitars...

Well, they have seemed to imply that Phil will have less of a role in a new "electronic" album, but who knows with Bernard's history of confusing comments. With the Lost Sirens songs, Phil seemed to fit in well enough, I like what he brought to the sessions. Don't really need solos in New Order like in "Hey Now what You Doing" thou.

Just keep the guitar store employee guitar wankery out, like what was in Never Cry Another Tear. Or do we blame Jake Evans for that?

Edited by user 02 February 2013 09:11:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 0_o for this useful post.
Housey  
#45 Posted : 03 February 2013 03:57:55(UTC)
Housey

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 65 post(s)
I was 'eh' on Here to Stay until they played it at Roseland. It's a great song.

I agree about the ban on "hey man whatchu doin'" lyrics, and I'll add in anything about the grind of a 9 to 5 job or sailing on a yacht.
thanks 1 user thanked Housey for this useful post.
Andy  
#46 Posted : 04 February 2013 11:20:34(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3073 time(s) in 2144 post(s)
I want them to make an album that pleases everyone, because that's totally possible.
thanks 3 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 04/02/2013(UTC), NotAMod on 04/02/2013(UTC), Housey on 04/02/2013(UTC)
ZASmusic  
#47 Posted : 04 February 2013 12:45:37(UTC)
ZASmusic

0_o wrote:
Debaser wrote:
Cranelane wrote:

and Phils guitars...

Well, they have seemed to imply that Phil will have less of a role in a new "electronic" album, but who knows with Bernard's history of confusing comments. With the Lost Sirens songs, Phil seemed to fit in well enough, I like what he brought to the sessions. Don't really need solos in New Order like in "Hey Now what You Doing" thou.

Just keep the guitar store employee guitar wankery out, like what was in Never Cry Another Tear. Or do we blame Jake Evans for that?

I dig Phil's guitar work. Now that Gillian is back playing Synths full time, it frees P{hil up to do his guitar stuff but not at the expense of the Keyboard lines. I liked his playing on the Lost Sirens tracks. Kind of Johnny Marr-ish, which I can dig. Phil is a really good guitarist.

I think the more fancey guitar on the BL record came from Jake Evans. I liked his work though.

Speaking of BL, I liked the guitar textured Phil added to Out of Control when they played it live.

thanks 2 users thanked ZASmusic for this useful post.
Cranelane on 04/02/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 05/02/2013(UTC)
Canuck21  
#48 Posted : 28 March 2013 06:15:17(UTC)
Canuck21

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'd like the new album to sound like New Order of 1983. Considering Hooky won't be participating, I know there is no chance that will happen.

I guess within current possibilities, no more "hey you", no backing vocals unless if it's Gillian and more guitar from Barney, but I heard they're going the electronic route so too bad for me. I'd also like they produce the album themselves.
thanks 1 user thanked Canuck21 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/03/2013(UTC)
keepitcoming  
#49 Posted : 29 March 2013 23:37:24(UTC)
keepitcoming

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 406 post(s)
i trust bernard and co. to create more great songs. who else on the planet has the substance ?
We're like kestrels
thanks 1 user thanked keepitcoming for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/03/2013(UTC)
Blue 5  
#50 Posted : 30 March 2013 01:56:27(UTC)
Blue 5

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Longer instrumental sections in the songs. Back to the giant intros and outros please.

And something well (not over) produced that will give my stereo a work out like their 12"'s did during the late 80's.

Although, like most people I'd just settle for any new New Order. There's always something to like in there somewhere.
thanks 1 user thanked Blue 5 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 31/03/2013(UTC)