logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linus Solanki  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2013 11:48:08(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
http://www.hollywoodrepo...rs-peter-hook-end-412912

Interviewed by phone from New Order’s native north of England four days before The Lost Sirens’ Jan. 15 release, Hook begs to differ. “People have been trying to paint me as the one who was stopping it,” he says, “but it wasn't like that at all.” He blames the delays on Sumner’s preoccupation with Bad Lieutenant, Sumner’s band from 2008 through 2011, and the fact that their Warner Brothers deal had lapsed, leaving New Order label-less for a period. (The Lost Sirens eventually ended up with Rhino, Warner’s catalog division.)

One thing both men can agree upon, though: The Lost Sirens is the final chapter in Hook’s New Order story.

“It’s the end of an era,” says Hook, of the three-decade-long journey that has unfortunately devolved into a he said/he said battle in the press between him and Sumner. Nevertheless, Hook is “absolutely delighted” with his swan songs, some of which were composed in the actress Jane Seymour’s Bath manse right before the once hard-partying bassist went off to AA. Eight years later, he’s still sober, and he thinks the songs have held up too.

“What really made me happy is when I listened to the tracks and realized how good they are,” Hook says. “It came as such a relief to realize that, ‘Oh God, we did do some great things together.’ We did have a great time writing that music. We were very, very together in the writing of [The Lost Sirens], and that was the nice part.”

Along with drummer Stephen Morris, Sumner and Hook started New Order in 1980 following the demise of their earlier incarnation, Joy Division, and the suicide of that band’s singer, Ian Curtis. Without Curtis’ natural leadership, a long-simmering power struggle and personality conflict emerged between the reserved, artsy Sumner, who became New Order’s vocalist and lyricist, and the laddish, tell-it-like-it-is Hook, whose driving basslines and rock-star stage presence made him a fan favorite.

Yet it was the pair’s stark differences and fiery relationship (Hook said they never really enjoyed a friendship) that arguably gave New Order its signature sound. From their game-changing 1980s club smash “Blue Monday” all the way to “California Grass,” the standout Lost Sirens track that blends jangly shoegazer Britpop with the sixties dreaminess of the Mamas and the Papas, New Order has managed to sustain a rather lengthy career of making melancholy dance-pop.

Then Hook announced his exit to both his bandmates and fans during a radio interview in which he also suggested that New Order was no more. More than a little miffed, Sumner and Morris nevertheless soldiered on without him before splitting the group for good -- or so it seemed at the time. After Sumner’s stint with Bad Lieutenant, he and Morris restarted New Order, which now also includes Morris’ wife and original keyboardist Gillian Gilbert, who’d been on hiatus looking after the couple’s children since 2001.

And in the wake of their 2012 U.S. tour dates -- New Order’s first American trek in seven years -- Sumner said they will likely begin work on their first long-player without Hook. “We as a band now want to move on, move forward,” he said, adding that the long-delayed Lost Sirens was like “a blockage in the pipework.”

Meanwhile, Hook is seeking financial restitution from his former bandmates. “I'm fighting for my history and for what is rightfully mine, which is my share of the New Order name,” he says. “I consider that the work that I've put in over the 33 years of New Order is very important to New Order's standing, and they're saying it isn't.”

This month in the UK, Hook will perform New Order’s first and second albums -- 1981‘s Movement and 1983’s Power Corruption and Lies -- with his band the Light, a show he plans to bring to the U.S. this fall. Hook calls this and the 2010-11 tour for which the Light played a set of Joy Division tracks “an art project.” Sumner, however, has another take. “He seems to be doing it for the money,” he told Billboard.com. “To me, Joy Division and New Order were never about that. I thought it was disrespectful to the rest of us.”

“How can he say that,” Hook says, “when he's doing the most commercial thing, just going round playing the hits to anybody who will have him? Playing the albums is a much more difficult thing to do, because you're dealing with a lot of the lesser-known material in a context that requires much more concentration not only from you, but also from your listeners.”

Hook continues: “And I'm sure he's doing it for the money. He's not giving all the money away to a local dog's home. If he wants to send me a copy of the receipt from the local dog's home of all the millions that New Order's earned over the last year, I will retract that statement.”

This month also marks the U.S. release of Hook’s second book, Unknown Pleasures, a memoir of his years with Joy Division. Though that band’s post-punk pilgrimage and Curtis’ untimely death have been the subjects of several films -- most notably Anton Corbjin’s Control (2007) and 24 Hour Party People (2002) -- and books (Curtis’ widow’s 2007 tell-all Touching From a Distance), “all the others have been done by people who weren’t actually there,” Hook says.

He then clarifies: “Well, Anton was there a little bit” -- the director/photographer got to know Joy Division while shooting now-iconic pictures of the band -- “and he used that insight to do Control, which I think is by far the closest thing to us, forever. But the reason I did the book was I was sick of reading and watching things about Joy Division by people that were not there every moment. I was there every moment. This is the truth about what happened to Joy Division.”

Although Sumner may not agree with Hook on how to best preserve the legacies of Joy Division and New Order for future generations, he is proud that what they’ve created together continues to find new fans.

“A friend brought his daughter around to my house,” he recalled. “She was like 13 or 14, and she had an iPod. I said, ‘Oh, what are you listening to?’ expecting her to say Justin Bieber. But no: ‘It’s this band called Joy Division.’ I didn’t tell her who I was, but her father [must have]. The next time she came around, she was like, ‘Can I have your autograph?’ ”

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/01/2013(UTC), Big Mouth Julio on 16/01/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Eimi  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2013 14:27:43(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Quite decent interview. Thanks for posting.Smile
thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2013(UTC)
M1  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2013 14:41:22(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Nice piece but Mamas and the Papas??
thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
No Barcode  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2013 22:15:43(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
M1 wrote:
Nice piece but Mamas and the Papas??

To lure Californian readers into listening Lost Sirens.
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
World Domination: Complete  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2013 02:05:07(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
Wow another Hooky interview. Anyone know what he had for breakfast?
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
Coops  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2013 02:19:20(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Aah, the old "A friends kid was into this band and it was Joy Division!" (steps back to emphasis pleasant surprise). Im sure Sumner trotted a similar anecdote a while back. Or maybe it was Morris.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2013 04:45:29(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Digi Mike Le Creuset Binoche wrote:

I could be wrong, Mike, but I think New Order might have a new album out, and he's helping to promote it.

Hence the interview.

Hope this helps.
thanks 3 users thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
jed the shed on 17/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2013(UTC), Baggie Boiler on 17/01/2013(UTC)
#8 Posted : 17 January 2013 05:31:20(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

El Jarvo wrote:

I could be wrong, Mike, but I think New Order might have a new album out, and he's helping to promote it.

Hence the interview.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mr Jarvis Hi
El Jarvo  
#9 Posted : 17 January 2013 06:03:24(UTC)
El Jarvo

Thanks Mr Jarvis Hi

I saw David Cronenberg's "Cosmopolis" over Xmas.

Have you seen it?

thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
#10 Posted : 17 January 2013 07:01:59(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

El Jarvo wrote:

Thanks Mr Jarvis Hi

Have you seen it?

No, but can't wait for this http://www.otwaythemovie.com/
El Jarvo  
#11 Posted : 17 January 2013 07:55:08(UTC)
El Jarvo

El Jarvo wrote:

Thanks Mr Jarvis Hi

Have you seen it?

You should watch it. Binoche gets screwed in the back of a limo.

Sounds like Otway the Movie will be competing for Frank Sidebottom the movie at the Oscars next year then? Laugh
thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
#12 Posted : 18 January 2013 00:45:28(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

El Jarvo wrote:
El Jarvo wrote:

Thanks Mr Jarvis Hi

Have you seen it?

You should watch it. Binoche gets screwed in the back of a limo.

Sounds like Otway the Movie will be competing for Frank Sidebottom the movie at the Oscars next year then? Laugh

Thanks Al - Tissue Box at the ready Smile Nod
ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2013(UTC)
bloodynora  
#13 Posted : 18 January 2013 16:20:46(UTC)
bloodynora

Was thanked: 477 time(s) in 412 post(s)

nope, but i can tell you he had two toasties the other day in joshua brooks, because my brother's girlfriend served him. one of them was ham. hope this helps.
thanks 1 user thanked bloodynora for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2013(UTC)
Bill  
#14 Posted : 18 January 2013 16:28:26(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
bloodynora wrote:

nope, but i can tell you he had two toasties the other day in joshua brooks, because my brother's girlfriend served him. one of them was ham. hope this helps.

Joshua Brooks? I think i've been in there. Think that's where the pre gig meet before Manchester v Cancer in Jan 2006 was.
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 19/01/2013(UTC)
Nick King  
#15 Posted : 19 January 2013 18:00:41(UTC)
Nick King

Man

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Thanks again wrote:
Joshua Brooks? I think i've been in there. Think that's where the pre gig meet before Manchester v Cancer in Jan 2006 was.

It was indeed - we also went there before the Apollo gig in 2005 (?)... That gig was probably the most drunk I've been at a New Order gig... Big Grin

Cool
thanks 1 user thanked Nick King for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/01/2013(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround  
#16 Posted : 20 January 2013 15:48:44(UTC)
UpDownTurnAround

Man

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 132 post(s)
They were friends at school before they met Ian so surely they were friends!?!

They are both doing it for the money- nothing wrong with that- we all have to feed our kids.

I'm sure that common sense will prevail and the Hookster will get a small percentage of royalties from future new new order releases; maybe then he'll shut up the dirty laundry shop as well.
thanks 1 user thanked UpDownTurnAround for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/01/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#17 Posted : 20 January 2013 17:00:50(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
UpDownTurnAround wrote:

I'm sure that common sense will prevail and the Hookster will get a small percentage of royalties from future new new order releases; maybe then he'll shut up the dirty laundry shop as well.

He won't and shouldn't get royalties for new material from the current New Order if they write a song or something and release that new material, because Hooky is not involved whatsoever in that. When they perform the older songs live that Hooky co-wrote, then yes, that's still a little money for him.

Edited by user 20 January 2013 17:05:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#18 Posted : 21 January 2013 07:45:01(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:
UpDownTurnAround wrote:

He won't and shouldn't get royalties for new material from the current New Order if they write a song or something and release that new material, because Hooky is not involved whatsoever in that. When they perform the older songs live that Hooky co-wrote, then yes, that's still a little money for him.

He wants what he deserves by the use of the name "New Order". He has no rights for new songs.
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
Ray Jesus  
#19 Posted : 21 January 2013 08:00:08(UTC)
Ray Jesus

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm first in line for this shit. I'm going to tell all my breh's about this. We gon UserPostedImage off this one. Thanks for posting.

Edited by user 21 January 2013 08:01:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Ray Jesus for this useful post.
jed the shed  
#20 Posted : 21 January 2013 08:02:35(UTC)
jed the shed

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Big Mouth Julio wrote:
leather-girl wrote:
UpDownTurnAround wrote:

He wants what he deserves by the use of the name "New Order". He has no rights for new songs.

That wouldn't be common sense at all, that would be stupid, you don't get paid for something you have no involvement in, he should just shut up and start making new music himself. He doesn't own the rights to the name New Order either, that should be settled in the split.
thanks 2 users thanked jed the shed for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/01/2013(UTC), ersatz01 on 25/01/2013(UTC)