logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
George  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2012 16:39:07(UTC)
George

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
First ever post so please bare with me. My first ever concert was the Deeside leisure centre in 82. Seen my favourite band scores of times since then, this is the 3rd time this tour. Most definitely the last. My God how bad they were tonight. Is Barney just topping up his pension fund with no regard to who's paying into it. I've seen many a fantastic gig with the band performing shite but it was always fantastic in a New Order kind of way. Not tonight bland, boring, predictable. A few adjectives to start, Sumners voice was non existent, Gillian stood and did her ironing, Steve (a quality drummer) did his best. Phil and Tom were might as well had not turned up. I understand why the band have re formed, non are getting younger and the bills need to be paid, but for Gods sake have a bit if respect for your long suffering fans. I was at the Troxy in December and thought you were awesome, but what has happened since then. I have had many a great night watching this band, Hacienda, GMex, MEN to name a few but guys, it's time to call it a day. In the last 30 years I have danced, sang, raved, partied and sobered up with you. Let's call it a day whilst still remembered fondly. Put to bed your differences. Grow old gracefully, remember the great times, Barney, you and I, Tommy Ducks 84! Quit while your ahead, no more tribute nights to yourselves, it doesn't work.

New Order have shaped my life for 30 years. It's time to stop. I walked down the isle to Ceremony. Let me remember you as you are, the BEST Rock and Roll band ever. Goodnight and God Bless
thanks 1 user thanked George for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/05/2012(UTC)
Sponsor
paulaf  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2012 16:44:09(UTC)
paulaf

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
George wrote:
First ever post so please bare with me. My first ever concert was the Deeside leisure centre in 82. Seen my favourite band scores of times since then, this is the 3rd time this tour. Most definitely the last. My God how bad they were tonight. Is Barney just topping up his pension fund with no regard to who's paying into it. I've seen many a fantastic gig with the band performing shite but it was always fantastic in a New Order kind of way. Not tonight bland, boring, predictable. A few adjectives to start, Sumners voice was non existent, Gillian stood and did her ironing, Steve (a quality drummer) did his best. Phil and Tom were might as well had not turned up. I understand why the band have re formed, non are getting younger and the bills need to be paid, but for Gods sake have a bit if respect for your long suffering fans. I was at the Troxy in December and thought you were awesome, but what has happened since then. I have had many a great night watching this band, Hacienda, GMex, MEN to name a few but guys, it's time to call it a day. In the last 30 years I have danced, sang, raved, partied and sobered up with you. Let's call it a day whilst still remembered fondly. Put to bed your differences. Grow old gracefully, remember the great times, Barney, you and I, Tommy Ducks 84! Quit while your ahead, no more tribute nights to yourselves, it doesn't work.

New Order have shaped my life for 30 years. It's time to stop. I walked down the isle to Ceremony. Let me remember you as you are, the BEST Rock and Roll band ever. Goodnight and God Bless

Agreed George, you sound as gutted as I am
thanks 1 user thanked paulaf for this useful post.
paulaf  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2012 16:48:31(UTC)
paulaf

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
paulaf wrote:
George wrote:

May 8: O2 Academy, Newcastle, England

Even though we haven't entered into any meaningful dialogue, I have had the pleasant opportunity to meet a number of you noolers over the years:-
Jarvo - Newcastle 2005 ish Vikings badge will be treasured
Johnny - Hyde, Finsbury, Liverpool.. If you werent at those 3 then I was more drunk than I thought
Big Clive & Friends... Barcelona, (behind the brambles)
Shug:- would like to have met the most stereotypical jock for a drink (No offence intended)
German contingent for only ever being gentlemen in and around the mosh pit.

Tonights gig has made me realise that it is time to move onto pastures new.... In my opinion it was worse than awful ! The sound quality to be polite was very poor (I know Barney wasn't happy, but he wasn't paying £70 a ticket. I know it was £35, but our lass cryed off poorly)

I left early (during Temptation which sounded like the highlight of the show by the way), cos I couldn't take anymore. Was told while on the train that only Blue Monday was played as an encore with Barney pulling the rest of the band off the stage while they were waiting to start the second number of the encore.

Anyway, the train journey allowed me to reminisce of the 28 years spent following the band, from an 18 year old at the Sunderland Mayfair of 1984 to the present day, it has been, in the main a blast. We have travelled far & wide, from Glasgow to Barcelona - Hyde Park to Finsbury - Newcastle to Liverpool & every weekend inbetween coming home pissed up to turn the stack stereo system up to 11 so that all the neighbours wonder who has the green eyes !
I'm not ashamed to admit it, but a very misty eyed 46 year old with sunken shoulders exited the train at Durham station.
Am I being over critical ? AOC - 1963 - Temptation - 586 - BLT...... It was full of classics, it should have been a one to remember, but instead it is the one which brings my love affair to an end.
I should also say that even though I have agreed with everything that has been said about Hooky leaving the band ie he is dispensable & long live New Order, unfortunately & no disrespect at all to Tom Chapman........... he isn't & Hooky not being there is a massive MASSIVE miss.
This of course is only my opinion & I wish all of you many more happy times with the band.... God Bless

thanks 1 user thanked paulaf for this useful post.
World Domination: Complete  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2012 22:17:43(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
paulaf wrote:
paulaf wrote:
George wrote:

May 8: O2 Academy, Newcastle, England

Even though we haven't entered into any meaningful dialogue, I have had the pleasant opportunity to meet a number of you noolers over the years:-
Jarvo - Newcastle 2005 ish Vikings badge will be treasured
Johnny - Hyde, Finsbury, Liverpool.. If you werent at those 3 then I was more drunk than I thought
Big Clive & Friends... Barcelona, (behind the brambles)
Shug:- would like to have met the most stereotypical jock for a drink (No offence intended)
German contingent for only ever being gentlemen in and around the mosh pit.

Tonights gig has made me realise that it is time to move onto pastures new.... In my opinion it was worse than awful ! The sound quality to be polite was very poor (I know Barney wasn't happy, but he wasn't paying £70 a ticket. I know it was £35, but our lass cryed off poorly)

I left early (during Temptation which sounded like the highlight of the show by the way), cos I couldn't take anymore. Was told while on the train that only Blue Monday was played as an encore with Barney pulling the rest of the band off the stage while they were waiting to start the second number of the encore.

Anyway, the train journey allowed me to reminisce of the 28 years spent following the band, from an 18 year old at the Sunderland Mayfair of 1984 to the present day, it has been, in the main a blast. We have travelled far & wide, from Glasgow to Barcelona - Hyde Park to Finsbury - Newcastle to Liverpool & every weekend inbetween coming home pissed up to turn the stack stereo system up to 11 so that all the neighbours wonder who has the green eyes !
I'm not ashamed to admit it, but a very misty eyed 46 year old with sunken shoulders exited the train at Durham station.
Am I being over critical ? AOC - 1963 - Temptation - 586 - BLT...... It was full of classics, it should have been a one to remember, but instead it is the one which brings my love affair to an end.
I should also say that even though I have agreed with everything that has been said about Hooky leaving the band ie he is dispensable & long live New Order, unfortunately & no disrespect at all to Tom Chapman........... he isn't & Hooky not being there is a massive MASSIVE miss.
This of course is only my opinion & I wish all of you many more happy times with the band.... God Bless

Bloody Hell, we've all moved on 30 years, or are you stull the same person you were 30 years ago? I did 5 out of these 8 shows and whilst Barney's voice was(is) crap, forgot the Melodica at Usher Hall and lyrics. It was these things that made me realise why I love em. The pre gig meet ups were as good as always.

Roll on Hyde Park Big Grin
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
Johnny James  
#5 Posted : 08 May 2012 22:46:29(UTC)
Johnny James

Was thanked: 954 time(s) in 439 post(s)
So, apparently they were 'awesome' at The Troxy, but last night were so rubbish they should give up etc etc. Sounds like the 80s all over again.
thanks 1 user thanked Johnny James for this useful post.
Bill  
#6 Posted : 08 May 2012 23:40:29(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
I kind of felt like knocking it all on the head after the Birmingham Ballroom gig, had thoughts that i might not bother ever going to see them again . But then had a last minute decision to go to the Brixton Thursday show and had a great time, a brilliant craic down at the front
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Snorrimon  
#7 Posted : 09 May 2012 01:55:18(UTC)
Snorrimon

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 46 post(s)
That's just the thing though - to each his own... I was massively depressed with Troxy gig, but I think with hindsight that was because I was seated and had just seen Re: Order right before... Wasn't sure about seeing in the Birmingham but absolutely loved it, though I know others thought the sound was crap there as well... Even if they don't change the set around any more, at least there's an element of unpredictability there in terms of the quality of performance... And as Mike says the meet ups beforehand are worth going for alone...

Snorri
xxx
More reggae... Nod
thanks 1 user thanked Snorrimon for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#8 Posted : 09 May 2012 04:40:25(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Am I the only one a teeny bit excited that they decided to move Blue Monday back out into the encore?

It's a radical change to the recent setlist(s)!

Next gig is May 18th - wonder if they're gonna add any more Joy Division tracks to the set? Somehow, I just can't see it.

thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
Cap't Solo  
#9 Posted : 09 May 2012 04:55:13(UTC)
Cap't Solo

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 149 post(s)

Every time I see New Order
I get really up for it
I'm waiting for May the 18th
Regardless of how bad they play

slow down.
thanks 1 user thanked Cap't Solo for this useful post.
Snorrimon  
#10 Posted : 09 May 2012 05:58:27(UTC)
Snorrimon

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 46 post(s)
El Jarvo wrote:
Am I the only one a teeny bit excited that they decided to move Blue Monday back out into the encore?

It's a radical change to the recent setlist(s)!

Next gig is May 18th - wonder if they're gonna add any more Joy Division tracks to the set? Somehow, I just can't see it.

I thought BM at Brum was best I've heard it live for a while... TBH the way things are at the moment, moving songs to different parts of the set is probably the most radical we can expect - I'd like to see them stick some of the more guitary stuff later on - it's not as if they only have 1 or 2 big tracks that have to be at the end... Opening with TPK or Temptation or even BM would keep things interesting... Jealous about all yous lot heading over to Vienna...

Snorri
xxx
More reggae... Nod
thanks 1 user thanked Snorrimon for this useful post.
Jul  
#11 Posted : 09 May 2012 10:54:51(UTC)
Jul

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Someone wiser than me said on the old forum vote with your wallets & feet, every show's on youtube nowadays - you know what you're up for (although I've noticed that the performance NO Facebook page shared was from the '06 Hook inclusive Glasgow gig, not one of the current ones?). You also know the state you'll be in at a gig now as well as what you'd enjoy or not. Like it - go, don't like it - don't, enough people voted yes for shows to sell well or out for better or worse.
Still undecided about Vienna though.
thanks 1 user thanked Jul for this useful post.
andrew sayer  
#12 Posted : 09 May 2012 11:38:08(UTC)
andrew sayer

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Loved this gig, probs the smallest on this tour. Barney even forgot 'you dont play melodica on AOC'. n then launched the fucker right past Steven.
Well happy to see em drop thay joy div shite.Big Grin First new order gig for a while i reckon (stats anybody...)where they've done just new order songs. Loved moving Blue Mon into the encore. Full house like last time. Shouts Hi to ATR, Nobby, Mark, Shady, James Brown, Julie n Rosie & Dec H. who was mightly impressed. A real good quality mosh pit which i tend not to do these days Happy

Edited by user 09 May 2012 11:42:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked andrew sayer for this useful post.
Geri  
#13 Posted : 09 May 2012 11:41:46(UTC)
Geri

Woman

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 194 post(s)
always thought BM would make a great opening track, get it over and done with and move on to more interesting tracks.
I know, you know, we believe in a chosen few ...
thanks 1 user thanked Geri for this useful post.
Gazman  
#14 Posted : 09 May 2012 14:12:03(UTC)
Gazman

Was thanked: 481 time(s) in 383 post(s)
I hadnt listened to or watched anything of 'New Ordernow' so i was well looking forward to the Manc and Glasgow gigs and i must say i wasnt disappointed with either night,from pre gig drinks to gig to post gig drinks,both nights were...well those of you that were with me saw the state i got myself into! Laugh

Cant wait to do it all again Nod
Lovely Scottish crumpet
Nod
thanks 1 user thanked Gazman for this useful post.
#15 Posted : 09 May 2012 22:17:57(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Gazman wrote:
I hadnt listened to or watched anything of 'New Ordernow' so i was well looking forward to the Manc and Glasgow gigs and i must say i wasnt disappointed with either night,from pre gig drinks to gig to post gig drinks,both nights were...well those of you that were with me saw the state i got myself into! Laugh

Hyde Park?
El Jarvo  
#16 Posted : 10 May 2012 02:09:20(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
setlist.fm says that LWTUA was indeed on the setlist, but not played.

Linky thingy

So, some seven months and twenty gigs later they're back to playing exactly the same set as they started out with in Brussels! HA HA HA HA HA.
thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
#17 Posted : 10 May 2012 03:13:10(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Has anyone got the footage of Barney chucking his Melodica? if so put it on You Bastard Tube please?
Gazman  
#18 Posted : 10 May 2012 16:05:38(UTC)
Gazman

Digi Mike wrote:
Gazman wrote:

Hyde Park?

More likely to be Mallorca and Ibiza,
same week as my 40th Rolling
Lovely Scottish crumpet
Nod
markreed  
#19 Posted : 11 May 2012 12:22:34(UTC)
markreed

Was thanked: 353 time(s) in 229 post(s)
I wasn't at Newcastle. Part of the charm is that sometimes they would be amazing, and sometimes very far from it. I don't think any of us expect NO2012 to be the same as 1982. If you want exactly-the-same-as-it-used-to-be, go for one of those album-in-full shows. Maybe the sound was crap. Maybe the spirit was not in the house. But for me, my experience at Troxy and Brixton is that New Order 2011-12 can pull off a night as good as anyone else I've seen, including the 'classic' 1981-1998 lineup.
thanks 1 user thanked markreed for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio  
#20 Posted : 12 May 2012 15:58:57(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
andrew sayer wrote:
Loved this gig, probs the smallest on this tour. Barney even forgot 'you dont play melodica on AOC'. n then launched the fucker right past Steven.
Well happy to see em drop thay joy div shite.Big Grin First new order gig for a while i reckon (stats anybody...)where they've done just new order songs. Loved moving Blue Mon into the encore. Full house like last time. Shouts Hi to ATR, Nobby, Mark, Shady, James Brown, Julie n Rosie & Dec H. who was mightly impressed. A real good quality mosh pit which i tend not to do these days Happy

Joy Division's shit? No. I would say New Order without Hooky instead Roll Eyes
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
confusion  
#21 Posted : 12 May 2012 23:46:28(UTC)
confusion

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Big Mouth Julio wrote:
Joy Division's shit? No. I would say New Order without Hooky instead Roll Eyes

This is a topic about the New Order-gig in Newcastle. Does your statement has anything to do with it? Confused By the way we have already noticed your opinion, Julio, and it's boring now.
thanks 1 user thanked confusion for this useful post.
johnnyboy  
#22 Posted : 13 May 2012 12:11:22(UTC)
johnnyboy

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
The whole point of new order live is they can be great and they can be shite but you keep coming back for more! I did 3 on this tour (birmingham and both brixton) and only one was any good (brixton thursday)
\
I will be at hyde park and bestival.

keep the faith
ELECTRONIC DO NOT USE TAPES
thanks 1 user thanked johnnyboy for this useful post.
Quiller  
#23 Posted : 15 May 2012 03:46:14(UTC)
Quiller

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
the bad sound is a red herring

- the reason why this New Order tour is disappointing is that the departure of Hooky has left a clear lack of on- stage chemistry.

either bring back Hooky or stop using the name New Order
thanks 1 user thanked Quiller for this useful post.
Geri  
#24 Posted : 15 May 2012 03:51:01(UTC)
Geri

Woman

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 194 post(s)
Quiller wrote:

- the reason why this New Order tour is disappointing is that the departure of Hooky has left a clear lack of on- stage chemistry.

I've been listening to all the recent bootlegs, and everyone is cheering on Gillian and nobody's shouting for He Who Chose To Leave .... says it all really
I know, you know, we believe in a chosen few ...
thanks 1 user thanked Geri for this useful post.
Gazman  
#25 Posted : 16 May 2012 21:56:55(UTC)
Gazman

Quiller wrote:

Got to disagree there mate,as i said in my post above id neither seen or heard anything recent

so was 'keeping an eye' so to say on Tom and in my opinion,he nailed it Nod

I thought Hooky would be a miss and apart from him prowling about the stage

musically,they didnt.
Lovely Scottish crumpet
Nod
ROCKET MICK on 25/07/2012(UTC)