logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linus Solanki  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2013 04:54:44(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 643 post(s)
2013 will see lost tracks from New Order’s 2005 album Waiting for the Sirens’ Call complied into a mini-album Lost Sirens. Hook reminisces fondly of the quality of the recordings: “The idea was that we were going to do another album really quickly and one of my dissatisfactions with the rest of the band when we were working together was the fact that it didn’t happen.

“The tracks were ignored for six years. I kept asking the question ‘why isn’t lost sirens out?’ It’s just a ridiculous thing that it hasn’t come out.

“I mean Lost Sirens does mark the end to my song writing with them, and that is a weird thing. I had gone to rehab just as the tracks were finished off. I was recovering from alcoholism and I wasn’t able to put in as much input as I wanted to.

“So I was in rehab and they didn’t wait. The whole thing was tinged and had a weird feel to it. I felt Ok about the song choices at the time and thought; yeah those tracks should have been left off.

“I only listened to it properly a few months ago when I had the time and I though fucking hell! These tracks are really good.

“It’s really interesting from a recording point of view because these tracks had a lot of money spent on them and were treated in exactly the same way as the other album tracks. A lot of bands can’t afford to put the same production values on tracks and a lot of music nowadays sounds under-produced because of this. I think you can tell that a lot of tracks are done on a computer and lack clarity.

“I suppose it’s all thanks to everyone that illegally downloads music. They have fucked the sound. It all sounds shit, and it’s their entire fault! So thanks for that.”

More to read here

http://www.tenementtv.co...al/peter-hook-interview/
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Big Mouth Julio on 08/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/01/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Eimi  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2013 05:45:57(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Linus Solanki wrote:
2013 will see lost tracks from New Order’s 2005 album Waiting for the Sirens’ Call complied into a mini-album Lost Sirens. Hook reminisces fondly of the quality of the recordings: “The idea was that we were going to do another album really quickly and one of my dissatisfactions with the rest of the band when we were working together was the fact that it didn’t happen.

“The tracks were ignored for six years. I kept asking the question ‘why isn’t lost sirens out?’ It’s just a ridiculous thing that it hasn’t come out.

“I mean Lost Sirens does mark the end to my song writing with them, and that is a weird thing. I had gone to rehab just as the tracks were finished off. I was recovering from alcoholism and I wasn’t able to put in as much input as I wanted to.

“So I was in rehab and they didn’t wait. The whole thing was tinged and had a weird feel to it. I felt Ok about the song choices at the time and thought; yeah those tracks should have been left off.

“I only listened to it properly a few months ago when I had the time and I though fucking hell! These tracks are really good.

“It’s really interesting from a recording point of view because these tracks had a lot of money spent on them and were treated in exactly the same way as the other album tracks. A lot of bands can’t afford to put the same production values on tracks and a lot of music nowadays sounds under-produced because of this. I think you can tell that a lot of tracks are done on a computer and lack clarity.

“I suppose it’s all thanks to everyone that illegally downloads music. They have fucked the sound. It all sounds shit, and it’s their entire fault! So thanks for that.”

More to read here

http://www.tenementtv.co...al/peter-hook-interview/

Done on a computer? I thought New Order used computers like Macs for example, in the 80s and 90s for programming etc? Lots of music now lacks clarity? Under-produced? What's he on about? Whilst illegal downloading is problematic to some extent, the people who do such things aren't to blame for music sounding shit. The lack of logic is bizarre.
thanks 2 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/01/2013(UTC), jed the shed on 08/01/2013(UTC)
World Domination: Complete  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2013 06:19:03(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
He didn't SHED much LIGHT on it did he?
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 08/01/2013(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2013 06:27:08(UTC)
Big Mouth Julio

Man

Was thanked: 346 time(s) in 318 post(s)
Well, I do not understand most of things that my bass hero says nowadays. Tongue
Finsbury Park 2002
Brasilia 2006
Sao Paulo 2006 1st Night
Sao Paulo 2006 2nd Night
Sao Paulo 2011
Lima 2013
Bogota 2013
thanks 1 user thanked Big Mouth Julio for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2013 09:50:25(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 643 post(s)
Peter on David Bowie's return

Peter Hook of Joy Division and New Order was on the show today to talk about his new release of unheard New Order material.

Tom asked him how he felt about the news of Bowie's return and he appears to be over the moon.

Peter says 'he's an absolute hero to me to be honest with you and I'm absolutely delighted that he's making music again. I think that's the funny thing with us musicians you see, no matter how old we get we don't know what to do with ourselves. You know, you get a bit fed up putting shelves up don't you!'

Listen to his reaction here

http://www.newstalk.ie/r...d-Bowie's-Return
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
jed the shed  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2013 10:04:14(UTC)
jed the shed

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 83 post(s)
there's no need for computer made music to sound any better or worse than analogue music, the comment is stupid, the problem lies in record company greed and illeagle downloading, the record companies rush everything and use cheap studios so they can make as much profit as possible. If time and care is taken a recordong will sound good no matter how it's made.

I have to disagree with him about the album too, I think it sucks, shame really, but that's the first New Order album I will not be buying. Let's hope the next album is better, despite the lack of Hooky, I think they may still pull it off, just so long as they don't rush Bernard with the lyrics as was very evident in this case.
thanks 1 user thanked jed the shed for this useful post.
Bill  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2013 10:55:26(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
He was on Radcliffe & Maconie show today.Again.

Edited by user 08 January 2013 10:56:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Bill for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/01/2013(UTC), Sauce on 09/01/2013(UTC)
Cranelane  
#8 Posted : 08 January 2013 14:57:14(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Thanks But No Thanks wrote:

Good to hear him talking about New Order, some points of interest:

He mentions that Steve wrote a lot of the lyrics on Movement,
I think I read before that he also wrote the words to Procession..

1hr 45 minutes in to the interview Hooky mentions that around 1990 He, Rob, Steve & Gillian discussed reforming New Order without Bernard but that Hooky vetoed the notion.
I hadn't heard that one before. Eek

He also implies that Phil, Steve and himself had been working on other ideas around the time of Sirens which obviously never got beyond an early stage but he calls them the Lost Lost Sirens..

thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/01/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#9 Posted : 08 January 2013 15:04:59(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Cranelane wrote:

1hr 45 minutes in to the interview Hooky mentions that around 1990 He, Rob, Steve & Gillian discussed reforming New Order without Bernard but that Hooky vetoed the notion.

He also implies that Phil, Steve and himself had been working on other ideas around the time of Sirens which obviously never got beyond an early stage but he calls them the Lost Lost Sirens..

I have a hard time believing it so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.
thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Edward  
#10 Posted : 08 January 2013 15:10:01(UTC)
Edward

Man

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 20 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:

Done on a computer? I thought New Order used computers like Macs for example, in the 80s and 90s for programming etc? Lots of music now lacks clarity? Under-produced? What's he on about?

I believe he means how music, more often than not these days, are done "in the box" - meaning, inside the computer only with no use of 'proper mixing' or outboard gear.

Sure, New Order uses computers, software synths (soft synths) and keyboards as well as live drums, guitar and bass- but what the article (or possibly Hooky) didn't clarify was his general proclamation.
thanks 1 user thanked Edward for this useful post.
Edward  
#11 Posted : 08 January 2013 15:11:33(UTC)
Edward

Man

leather-girl wrote:

I have a hard time believing what anyone says beyond Steve and/or Gillian Wink
Eimi  
#12 Posted : 08 January 2013 16:29:32(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Edward wrote:
leather-girl wrote:

I have a hard time believing what anyone says beyond Steve and/or Gillian Wink

Well, I can understand if they suggested a breakup, or a hiatus, but I have a hard time believing they suggested to form New Order without Bernard (and Hooky disapproving).... It just doesn't seem likely. Hooky reminds me of some old man at a bar who always tells crazy stories from the past, that may not be true, or only partially true.
thanks 2 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Mike C. on 08/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/01/2013(UTC)
Mike C.  
#13 Posted : 08 January 2013 16:58:11(UTC)
Mike C.

Man

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:

But they didn't go all 'Arcadia' and split off into a trio, nor did he play on any Other Two tracks. Hard one to swallow from this fans POV.
...in a single breath, this world is gone...
thanks 2 users thanked Mike C. for this useful post.
Eimi on 08/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/01/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#14 Posted : 08 January 2013 17:16:17(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Mike C. wrote:
Cranelane wrote:

But they didn't go all 'Arcadia' and split off into a trio, nor did he play on any Other Two tracks. Hard one to swallow from this fans POV.

Agreed. He just likes to talk about crazy stories. It doesn't sound really credible. Discussions about a potential breakup or hiatus would sound more credible---the fact that serious fans like us have never heard of this, also gives me the impression he's making this up, or he truly doesn't remember.
Volturno  
#15 Posted : 08 January 2013 17:21:55(UTC)
Volturno

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:
Mike C. wrote:
Cranelane wrote:

Agreed. He just likes to talk about crazy stories. It doesn't sound really credible. Discussions about a potential breakup or hiatus would sound more credible---the fact that serious fans like us have never heard of this, also gives me the impression he's making this up, or he truly doesn't remember.

Making it up?
What has Hooky ever done that even resembled spreading a lie like that?

I really don't get such negativity towards him in this forum. "Barney's camp" must be strong here.

Edited by user 08 January 2013 17:22:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Volturno for this useful post.
Eimi  
#16 Posted : 08 January 2013 17:38:43(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Volturno wrote:
leather-girl wrote:
Mike C. wrote:
Cranelane wrote:

Making it up?
What has Hooky ever done that even resembled spreading a lie like that?

I really don't get such negativity towards him in this forum. "Barney's camp" must be strong here.

I don't have anything against Hooky personally; it's just that it doesn't sound credible compared to them suggesting a breakup, or a hiatus. And if such a radical idea as reforming NO without Bernard really did occur to them, why haven't we heard of it in other interviews over these years? Why is it only Hooky that's claiming this, and he's saying this in the year of 2013?????? If that was truly an idea that was considered, why haven't Steve and/or Gillian talked about it in interviews? I don't believe everything Bernard says, either, by the way. If he's not making it up, the only other possibility I can think of, is Hooky exaggerating a joke someone could have said. PS- You truly believe people are negative about him on NOOL??????

Edited by user 08 January 2013 17:51:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Andy  
#17 Posted : 08 January 2013 18:43:25(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3072 time(s) in 2144 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:

I remember reading that Ian McCulloch (not with the bunnymen during that time) was considered as a replacement because Bernard was "starved for motivation" or something to that effect. It was a credible story at the time because Barney was wrapped up with Electronic during that era.

I don't know whether or not they'd have called the group New Order but would Hooky admit that now?

Ian later ended up working with Johnny Marr on an ill-fated project that ended with the two claiming that the master tapes were stolen. Three tracks co-written with Marr were later recorded and released by Ian and Will. Two as Electrafixion and one as the Bunnymen's World Cup single.
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
Cranelane on 08/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/01/2013(UTC)
No Barcode  
#18 Posted : 09 January 2013 00:51:15(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Who cares how and where music is recorded?? If it's a well written song, with a good melody, catchy chorus, intriguing hooks, sincere lyrics, etc. (not necessarily all that at once), not much can destroy it for me. A lot of young bands record their material nowadays in small studios and the output is fine. I'm sorry, it's total bollocks.
thanks 2 users thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
Edward on 09/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 09/01/2013(UTC)
Coops  
#19 Posted : 09 January 2013 02:09:19(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Quote:
I kept asking the question ‘why isn’t lost sirens out?’ It’s just a ridiculous thing that it hasn’t come out.

Didnt some twat block its release?
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
Edward  
#20 Posted : 09 January 2013 03:58:50(UTC)
Edward

Man

No Barcode wrote:
Who cares how and where music is recorded?? If it's a well written song, with a good melody, catchy chorus, intriguing hooks, sincere lyrics, etc. (not necessarily all that at once), not much can destroy it for me. A lot of young bands record their material nowadays in small studios and the output is fine. I'm sorry, it's total bollocks.

Exactly.

As an electronic musician myself, if it isn't down to good ideas and talent at the end of the day no amount of technology is gonna save you.

Eimi  
#21 Posted : 09 January 2013 05:22:10(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Edward wrote:
No Barcode wrote:

Exactly.

As an electronic musician myself, if it isn't down to good ideas and talent at the end of the day no amount of technology is gonna save you.

Agreed too. Besides, just because you spend a lot of money recording something doesn't mean it will be a masterpiece; for example, WFTSC. (I'm not saying it's a bad album, but surely they could've recorded the same quality songs cheaper...)
Michael Monkhouse  
#22 Posted : 09 January 2013 05:55:09(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
First of many?
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 11/01/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#23 Posted : 09 January 2013 06:33:01(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Michael Monkhouse wrote:
First of many?

LOL!
Jailbait Spider  
#24 Posted : 09 January 2013 09:22:29(UTC)
Jailbait Spider

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Linus Solanki wrote:

Hooky's just pissed because no one buy records like the old times - well, things have changed, if one wants to earn a life doing music, he must actually DO IT, playing live, not only resting his fat arse in a recording studio.

Since Hooky loves Bowie so much, he should have learned something with his so called hero... Bowie is always ahead of his time with such things.

So, Hooky, wake up, turn and face the strange!!
"It depends on the age of consent" - Pervert Sumner
thanks 1 user thanked Jailbait Spider for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#25 Posted : 09 January 2013 09:39:45(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Jailbait Spider wrote:
Hooky's just pissed because no one buy records like the old times - well, things have changed, if one wants to earn a life doing music, he must actually DO IT, playing live, not only resting his fat arse in a recording studio.

Since Hooky loves Bowie so much, he should have learned something with his so called hero... Bowie is always ahead of his time with such things.

So, Hooky, wake up, turn and face the strange!!

And the winner of the most irrational anti-Hooky post of the day goes to ... . .

Are you seriously suggesting Hooky hasn't been playing live over the last couple of years? Laugh

After Freebass it's probably advisable that he doesn't "rest his fat arse in a recording studio."
thanks 4 users thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
jed the shed on 09/01/2013(UTC), 79order on 09/01/2013(UTC), Jailbait Spider on 11/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 11/01/2013(UTC)