logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tarbox23  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2012 07:47:06(UTC)
tarbox23

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 120 post(s)
"Peter Hook tells the behind-the-scenes story of New Order and some of the band's greatest songs, including 'Regret', 'Blue Monday' and 'Crystal'."

http://bcove.me/6alw7zy4

(not sure how to embed video here)

-- interesting that Bizarre Love Triangle was originally composed in a different key. Would love to hear that demo --
Boston MA 86 | Great Woods MA 87-89-93 | Lake Compounce CT 89 | Meadowlands NJ 89 | NYC 05 + 12
thanks 3 users thanked tarbox23 for this useful post.
Andy on 07/12/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 08/12/2012(UTC), 79order on 08/12/2012(UTC)
Sponsor
World Domination: Complete  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2012 11:08:47(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
tarbox23 wrote:
"Peter Hook tells the behind-the-scenes story of New Order and some of the band's greatest songs, including 'Regret', 'Blue Monday' and 'Crystal'."

http://bcove.me/6alw7zy4

(not sure how to embed video here)

-- interesting that Bizarre Love Triangle was originally composed in a different key. Would love to hear that demo --

Great another Hooky Interview - Thanks so Much - a great cure (not CURE) for insomnia Smile
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 10/12/2012(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2012 04:18:31(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
(song title), fuck... Fuckin' great tune... Fucking hell... I think most fans would agree with Hooky's analysis of Republic: don't want to go over this AGAIN but yeah, Regret stands out as true NO, the rest lacks the combination of synth and acoustics and the band's personality that's really the NO sound. But I remember when it came out he told John Peel and NME he liked the album as 'Stephen Hague's created a classic New Order LP' and 'he's kept them all really good New Order tracks'. Marketing, perhaps?
Miranda Sawyer commented Regret was not very well-received on release. I remember it differently. The single was welcomed, the album less so. In fact the interesting thing about Rep was how enthusiastic people were before we actually got to hear it. Radio 1 said 'People go on about Technique but that was for the eighties, this is gonna be NO's biggest album of the nineties' (oh, the irony). NME ran a wankworthy double-issue interview ('Republic is great...') while MM commented 'NO are incapable of making a less than great record and Republic suggests they are currently making the finest music of their lives'... But when the LP came out it got a rather hushed response, despite London having New Order at their most public thus far. Funny old world innit?
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
steven on 15/12/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/12/2012(UTC)
steven  
#4 Posted : 15 December 2012 14:41:00(UTC)
steven

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Michael Monkhouse wrote:
(song title), fuck... Fuckin' great tune... Fucking hell... I think most fans would agree with Hooky's analysis of Republic: don't want to go over this AGAIN but yeah, Regret stands out as true NO, the rest lacks the combination of synth and acoustics and the band's personality that's really the NO sound. But I remember when it came out he told John Peel and NME he liked the album as 'Stephen Hague's created a classic New Order LP' and 'he's kept them all really good New Order tracks'. Marketing, perhaps?
Miranda Sawyer commented Regret was not very well-received on release. I remember it differently. The single was welcomed, the album less so. In fact the interesting thing about Rep was how enthusiastic people were before we actually got to hear it. Radio 1 said 'People go on about Technique but that was for the eighties, this is gonna be NO's biggest album of the nineties' (oh, the irony). NME ran a wankworthy double-issue interview ('Republic is great...') while MM commented 'NO are incapable of making a less than great record and Republic suggests they are currently making the finest music of their lives'... But when the LP came out it got a rather hushed response, despite London having New Order at their most public thus far. Funny old world innit?

I've had been listening to Republic quite a lot lately, I just love 'everyone everywhere'! Interesting to hear that it did get quite a good reception on release, because it was the 2nd last n.o. album I got due to it's mixed reviews
thanks 2 users thanked steven for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/12/2012(UTC), Eimi on 17/01/2013(UTC)
ersatz01  
#5 Posted : 17 December 2012 01:07:25(UTC)
ersatz01

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Michael Monkhouse wrote:
Marketing, perhaps?

Unfortunately, I doubt it. It just seems like the usual cockamamie bullshit of saying one thing, and saying something completely different later on, as he's still doing now. Just say anything to fill up space, fill up pages and try to stay relevant.

"It's a curious thing really..."

"It's strange really...."

So silly... really.
thanks 1 user thanked ersatz01 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/12/2012(UTC)
komakino  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2013 14:59:54(UTC)
komakino

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Michael Monkhouse wrote:

I remember the release of Republic very well and I always thought it was the first time the journalists were actually over generous in their praise which I couldn't understand, due to the lack of desire to break new ground by New Order. I thought that would be the first thing the press would latch onto, but they didn't, generally speaking. While the album had it's moments for sure, it was made for people who bought from the Britannica Music Club and BP Petrol Stations. 'Side Two' was very disappointing indeed and contained tracks that shouldn't have made the final cut. 'Regret' is a essentially rewrite of the epic 'Ceremony' and most importantly, a backwards step despite many New Order fans waxing lyrical about it. Stephen Hague was not originally slated to produce the album, but came in because all the members got on with him, although to the detriment of several tracks.

'Republic' was an album that received higher praise to compensate for lower praise of past works. Peel would of hated it.
thanks 1 user thanked komakino for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 14/01/2013(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2013 00:37:15(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
komakino wrote:

'Republic' was an album that received higher praise to compensate for lower praise of past works. Peel would of hated it.

Everyone at that time thought that this would be the last New Order album and a lot of the praise was a general praise for the development of the band, coming out of the shadows of Joy Divsion etc - all those overused phrases started to emerge with this release. Also, they did interviews widely for this release the first time.

It's true that it already sounded dated on release with its italo pianos but I really liked that whole "goodbye"-feeling of the record, like a last, slighty melancholic look in the eye of a former lover. In this respect "Liar" was a highlight of "Republic".
thanks 1 user thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/01/2013(UTC)
Kelvin  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2013 03:00:07(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 36 post(s)
It's simple, if you loved the Electronic album, you loved Republic; an album any Pet Shop Boys fan would love.

Great songs. No grit. Bass too low in the mix.

Still great songs today. I remember New Order fans hating the album on release, when I was in Uni.
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#9 Posted : 15 January 2013 03:04:14(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Kelvin wrote:
It's simple, if you loved the Electronic album, you loved Republic; an album any Pet Shop Boys fan would love.

Nonsense.

I loved the Electronic album - and still do - but hated Republic - and still do (ar am at least indifferent to it now - time has mellowed my opinion).

thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
Michael Monkhouse  
#10 Posted : 15 January 2013 05:01:25(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

I'm fascinated by this period simply cos it was the high point of my love of the group and I used to go nutsy digging out articles. Basically Republic was an over-hyped LP, especially by New Order's notoriously hide-'n'-seek standards, the band were - as Bernard told NME in August - trying to satisfy London Records who regarded them as an investment. (Rest Of, anyone?) There was, as I mentioned in my last posting, a huge amount of praise but it was all rather vague and before the album itself materialised! I also remember a uni fan hating it cos of the bassless aspect. My feelings were, and remain, that Republic's poor because:
1. The group's heart wasn't in it. They'd grown apart personally and (with the over-rated side projects) professionally - trouble at the Hassie - trouble at Factory... It didn't lead, as advance reports insisted, to their 'mose exquisitely doom-laden work since Closer', merely to their most LACK LUSTRE effort since Movement. In fact they were SO fed-up they roped in...
2. Stephen Hague. All pop and synth and backing singers, not enough Hooky or to a lesser extent Steve.
Oh, and I also liked Electronic but not Republic.
thanks 2 users thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/01/2013(UTC), komakino on 15/01/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#11 Posted : 15 January 2013 05:24:14(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Was thanked: 875 time(s) in 688 post(s)
Michael Monkhouse wrote:
I'm fascinated by this period simply cos it was the high point of my love of the group and I used to go nutsy digging out articles. Basically Republic was an over-hyped LP, especially by New Order's notoriously hide-'n'-seek standards, the band were - as Bernard told NME in August - trying to satisfy London Records who regarded them as an investment. (Rest Of, anyone?) There was, as I mentioned in my last posting, a huge amount of praise but it was all rather vague and before the album itself materialised! I also remember a uni fan hating it cos of the bassless aspect. My feelings were, and remain, that Republic's poor because:
1. The group's heart wasn't in it. They'd grown apart personally and (with the over-rated side projects) professionally - trouble at the Hassie - trouble at Factory... It didn't lead, as advance reports insisted, to their 'mose exquisitely doom-laden work since Closer', merely to their most LACK LUSTRE effort since Movement. In fact they were SO fed-up they roped in...
2. Stephen Hague. All pop and synth and backing singers, not enough Hooky or to a lesser extent Steve.
Oh, and I also liked Electronic but not Republic.

Am I the only one who can look past business and band politics, and admit I love the sounds and songs on Republic? I understand it's an interesting thing to think about and consider, but it's the kind of sound/music I like.
thanks 2 users thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Edward on 15/01/2013(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 15/01/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#12 Posted : 15 January 2013 05:34:34(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Every now and then I retread those moments in my heroes' career that I've never enjoyed in the hope there's something I've been missing all these years - 'Beatles For Sale', Ingmar Bergman's 'Serpent's Egg', New Order's 'Republic'... And I normally find nope, I still don't enjoy it. On Republic, there are some strong moments - Regret, Special, Everyone Everywhere (tellingly, the first ones they wrote) - but I've never been able to rate it as a wole. Technique for me, please.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
Kelvin  
#13 Posted : 15 January 2013 05:52:17(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I love Republic, but can see why, at the time, many were disappointed.
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
Edward  
#14 Posted : 15 January 2013 06:18:53(UTC)
Edward

Man

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Michael Monkhouse wrote:
Radio 1 said 'People go on about Technique but that was for the eighties, this is gonna be NO's biggest album of the nineties' (oh, the irony).

Technically it was as it was the ONLY new album released it the Nineties!

Big Grin

leather-girl wrote:
Am I the only one who can look past business and band politics, and admit I love the sounds and songs on Republic? I understand it's an interesting thing to think about and consider, but it's the kind of sound/music I like. [/size]

Yeah, I'm with you here. I love the songs and the creative aspects behind the songs themselves. A good song is a good song despite individual (or band) politics, business and personalities - be it New Order or anyone.
_

I adore much of Republic. While Everyone Everywhere and Times Change aren't to my liking, Liar, Young Offender and the rest are.

I'm of the opinion Spooky is one of the great overlooked singles of their career. Seriously.

Edited by user 15 January 2013 06:28:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Edward for this useful post.
50poundnote  
#15 Posted : 15 January 2013 06:23:51(UTC)
50poundnote

Was thanked: 933 time(s) in 517 post(s)
Republic for me is all about Special. It's a real shame that they only attempted the song twice in a live setting, because I think it would have benefitted from the edge of live performance, and would have gone on to be considered one of their classics. It should have been the follow-up single to Regret.

What dates Republic more than anything is those block piano chords - which were also all over the Electronic album - and the use of drum loops instead of programmed drum machines. The songs are also a little too streamlined. One of the things that always made New Order special was the inclusion of countless little sequencer lines in any given song. A little less gloss, and yes, bass higher in the mix, and it would be held in much higher regard.

Bear in mind that the American experience with this album was far different than in any other country. This was the first New Order album that was "above ground", as it were - it was met with a sense of anticipation, Americans finally knew who they were, and apart from the fluke of True Faith, it got them on the radio. To most people this was not the 6th studio album by a band that had been going for 12 years, but the first they'd encountered them, and that was exciting for long-time fans like myself.
thanks 3 users thanked 50poundnote for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/01/2013(UTC), Jailbait Spider on 15/01/2013(UTC), Eimi on 17/01/2013(UTC)
Edward  
#16 Posted : 15 January 2013 06:31:27(UTC)
Edward

Man

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 20 post(s)
50 Pound Note wrote:
What dates Republic more than anything is those block piano chords - which were also all over the Electronic album..."

That is EXACTLY why I love Young Offender and those certain-styled songs on the second Electronic album!
thanks 1 user thanked Edward for this useful post.
the_blank_from_hell  
#17 Posted : 15 January 2013 07:09:57(UTC)
the_blank_from_hell

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Edward wrote:
50 Pound Note wrote:
What dates Republic more than anything is those block piano chords - which were also all over the Electronic album..."

That is EXACTLY why I love Young Offender and those certain-styled songs on the second Electronic album!

Then you should try some Italo house-compilations or early Chicago house ca 1987/88 - those records are full of them and New Order adopted those riffs from there
thanks 2 users thanked the_blank_from_hell for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/01/2013(UTC), Eimi on 17/01/2013(UTC)
Jailbait Spider  
#18 Posted : 15 January 2013 14:38:04(UTC)
Jailbait Spider

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 52 post(s)
50 Pound Note wrote:
Republic for me is all about Special. It's a real shame that they only attempted the song twice in a live setting, because I think it would have benefitted from the edge of live performance, and would have gone on to be considered one of their classics. It should have been the follow-up single to Regret.

What dates Republic more than anything is those block piano chords - which were also all over the Electronic album - and the use of drum loops instead of programmed drum machines. The songs are also a little too streamlined. One of the things that always made New Order special was the inclusion of countless little sequencer lines in any given song. A little less gloss, and yes, bass higher in the mix, and it would be held in much higher regard.

Bear in mind that the American experience with this album was far different than in any other country. This was the first New Order album that was "above ground", as it were - it was met with a sense of anticipation, Americans finally knew who they were, and apart from the fluke of True Faith, it got them on the radio. To most people this was not the 6th studio album by a band that had been going for 12 years, but the first they'd encountered them, and that was exciting for long-time fans like myself.

Special is probably Republic's best track, along with Everyone Everywhere.
I agree it should have been released as a single, with top of the class remixes. That would be good.
"It depends on the age of consent" - Pervert Sumner
thanks 2 users thanked Jailbait Spider for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/01/2013(UTC), Eimi on 17/01/2013(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#19 Posted : 17 January 2013 04:57:00(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1013 time(s) in 643 post(s)

Review: Peter Hook & The Light, Clwb Ifor Bach, Cardiff

http://www.walesonline.c...-cardiff-91466-32622830/

IT’S not often you get a genuine world exclusive in Cardiff, but this was a case in point.

Those of us lucky enough to be inside a sold out Clwb Ifor Bach were treated to the

first ever live performance of a new set from legendary bass player Peter Hook and his band.

It was based on the early work of his former band New Order, taking in their entire back catalogue from 1981 to 1983.

The evening began with both sides of the group’s debut single following their emergence out of the ashes of Joy Division - In A Lonely Place and the majestic Ceremony.

Just those two would have done for me, but there was much, much more to come.

It was then on to a track-by-track rendition of New Order’s first two albums, Movement and Power, Corruption & Lies.

As the night wore on, you couldn’t help wondering whether Hook had missed his vocation all those years away from the mic.

Bernard Sumner, who continues to front a Hook-less New Order, was the man who took up the vocal duties of the re-named band following the suicide of Joy Division singer Ian Curtis and he has sung on some of the finest records of a generation.

But having seen New Order dozens of times in the past, I’ve never heard these songs sung so well before, with Hook more than up to the job.

Despite having been more than 30 years in the business, there were still a few sighs of relief from him at the end of songs, especially the more synth-based latter tunes,

But he needn’t have worried. The night was a triumph.

After encoring with a barnstorming version of Temptation and then the obligatory Blue Monday, he returned to the stage to cadge a cigarette, proclaiming he had never earned a fag more in his life.

He wasn’t wrong.

This had been a two-hour long tour-de-force.

It was almost 30 years to the day since New Order had played their only ever gig in the Welsh capital,

Having been there at Cardiff University for that show in January 1983, I can confirm it was worth the wait to hear these magnificent songs once again and arguably performed better than ever.

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/01/2013(UTC)
Coops  
#20 Posted : 17 January 2013 05:40:24(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
wrote:

But having seen New Order dozens of times in the past, I’ve never heard these songs sung so well before,

Laugh
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 21/01/2013(UTC)
Eimi  
#21 Posted : 17 January 2013 21:01:10(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Kelvin wrote:

Great songs. No grit. Bass too low in the mix.

Still great songs today. I remember New Order fans hating the album on release, when I was in Uni.

I like polished pop tunes (though not the Simon Cowell-type pop music)... so I like Republic and similar kinds of sounds. Of course, that doesn't mean I dislike the more guitar-based tunes. I don't like grit, so maybe that's why I like it so much.

Edited by user 17 January 2013 21:07:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Eimi for this useful post.
Eimi  
#22 Posted : 17 January 2013 21:05:15(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

50 Pound Note wrote:

Piano chords, riffs; I think it's lovely....lots of house music and house influenced pop music of the late 80s to early 90s seemed to have them. I love it, and it does sound a little dated, but not too much enough to bother me. Technology changes; all music never dating whatsoever would be an absurd concept. Because I adore that kind of sound, it's probably why I love this album (as well as 'Technique') so much. Also, I was first into dance music, then I started listening to pop/rock songs. I'm not into heavy metal or macho and loud rock, and I'm not a fan of Hooky's rock star posturing on stage either (even though I like his basslines). So, maybe that's why I have a special regard for the pop tunes by New Order, especially the more pop/synth orientated songs.

Edited by user 17 January 2013 21:07:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eimi  
#23 Posted : 17 January 2013 21:06:36(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

Coops wrote:
wrote:

But having seen New Order dozens of times in the past, I’ve never heard these songs sung so well before,

Laugh

Really? Confused Hooky sang those songs really well and better than the classic New Order lineup? I find that hard to believe, even though I acknowledge he's a talented bassist.
No Barcode  
#24 Posted : 17 January 2013 21:44:05(UTC)
No Barcode

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 159 post(s)
leather-girl wrote:
Coops wrote:
wrote:

Laugh

Really? Confused Hooky sang those songs really well and better than the classic New Order lineup? I find that hard to believe, even though I acknowledge he's a talented bassist.

Maybe because he sings them without whoops and come-on's?
thanks 1 user thanked No Barcode for this useful post.
Eimi  
#25 Posted : 18 January 2013 00:05:25(UTC)
Eimi

Woman

No Barcode wrote:
leather-girl wrote:
Coops wrote:
wrote:

Laugh

Maybe because he sings them without whoops and come-on's?

But his voice is in a different range. And Bernard doesn't sing all songs like that. Plus, I've read on FB by some hardcore New Order fans and NOOLers (or maybe former NOOLers) that the singing was not that great on quite a few tracks. Just ask NotAMod or Colin or Nick King. I'm not saying it can't be an enjoyable experience to those interested, but let's be realistic. I'm not saying Bernard's perfect, either, btw.