logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Silvina Hernandez  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2012 10:40:18(UTC)
Silvina Hernandez

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I'm surprised by the 109 dislikes of this video on Youtube. Everyone has the right to have an opinion but writing that they were "raping their own song" or something like that is going a bit too far. I love this version as it sounds a bit different to the original (the synths, Bernard's vocals) and maybe that's exactly why it's got so many dislikes. This is the best live performance of BM I've seen so far, along with the TOTP one, which has been unfairly criticised by some peolple too. Do you agree with me?

Edited by user 25 October 2012 10:43:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Silvina Hernandez for this useful post.
Biginoil on 26/10/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/10/2012(UTC)
Sponsor
Cranelane  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2012 12:55:34(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)

"Rather boring, I think, new record from New Order, that's called Blue Monday"

John Peel - March 1983
thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/10/2012(UTC)
Debaser  
#3 Posted : 25 October 2012 13:41:20(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3012 time(s) in 2076 post(s)
They were all so much slimmer back then!
Barney's vocals are all over the place, including coming in at the wrong place, and then he's pissed off at himself.
It's probably as 'live' a performance as I've seen of BM but it sounds ropey (as did top of the pops). A nice little curiosity though.
thanks 1 user thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Cranelane  
#4 Posted : 25 October 2012 14:06:00(UTC)
Cranelane

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 388 post(s)
Thanks But No Thanks wrote:
god did Peel really say that about BM ? That was his reaction first time he played/heard it?

though i recall first time i ever heard it was the live version on TOTP 1983... had never heard of NO before i saw them do it on TOTP, was about 14 then and to be honest my first impression yeah i thought they were awful. Still can never work out how i never heard LWTUA until 1983. Always listened to the chart rundown in about 1980 but swear i never ever heard LWTUA even though it reached no 13 ... though i recently recalled what i was doing the weekend Curtis topped himself- May 17th 1980 Wales beat England 4-1 in the Home Internationals and distinctly recall being gutted that Saturday night/ Sunday morning into 18th May 1980 about that result.

Yeah, he did say it, there is an audio of it on youtube from his radio show, maybe it was his first time playing it and he clearly wasn't impressed..

I actually didn't hear Blue Monday for the first time until September 1983, TOTP used to be my favourite tv show back then but I think I must have missed it the time they were on in April '83, Upon hearing the song I immediately felt I had to buy it even though it was only available as a 12" and my pocket money back then would have more likely been spent on a subbuteo team or something similar...

My main cultural memory of 1980 is hearing of the death of John Lennon and the year coming to a close soundtracked by his music, that and Abba's Super Trooper album which my sister got for Christmas 1980..
thanks 1 user thanked Cranelane for this useful post.
Bill  
#5 Posted : 25 October 2012 14:14:54(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
ha! brilliant

Never heard it but remember reading about his first show after Curtis died he said "Bad news, lads, Ian Curtis is dead" and then he played Atmosphere apparently
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Bill  
#6 Posted : 25 October 2012 15:04:30(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
Cranelane wrote:

My main cultural memory of 1980 is hearing of the death of John Lennon and the year coming to a close soundtracked by his music, that and Abba's Super Trooper album which my sister got for Christmas 1980..

yeah i remember Lennon being murdered, my brother's mate who was a Beatles fanatic came round our house the next day with a black tie on mourning his death and the radio playing all that Happy Christmas War Is Over, Imagine etc all Christmas..

My main cultural memory though of 1980 was Hammer House Of Horror every Saturday night with that brilliant theme tune lol

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ADcy0mUr3bU[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by user 25 October 2012 15:09:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Bill for this useful post.
Cranelane on 25/10/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/10/2012(UTC)
Silvina Hernandez  
#7 Posted : 26 October 2012 08:35:52(UTC)
Silvina Hernandez

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 37 post(s)

"Rather boring, I think, new record from New Order, that's called Blue Monday"

John Peel - March 1983

He was soo wrong. Even tough it's 7-and-a-half minutes long it never gets boring. It's not my favourite song by NO (that is The Perfect Kiss) but it give me the chills every time I hear it. What I love the most are those icy synths. Even when it was released at a time when synths dominated pop music it still sounds so unique because of the combination of Bernard's cold vocals with a dancaeble beat. In my opinion, NO is, along with the Pet Shop Boys, the greatest dance band ever and BM is an example of their greatness.
thanks 1 user thanked Silvina Hernandez for this useful post.
komakino  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2013 12:18:14(UTC)
komakino

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
This BBC '84 Session was one where Barney had somewhat too much of the white powder and kept telling Steve to play 'FASTER FASTER' when they did In a Lonely Place. New Order were a much more 'interesting' band then as regards to live performances, as you never knew quite what you were going to get (a bit like The Fall in that respect). I really like the TOTP performance of Blue Monday, with Barney almost tongue-in-cheek performances. It gets a bad rap from some quarters, but it was - and still is to some degree - a hard track to replicate to the studio version.

I can recommend the TOTP version of Thieves Like Us is very very cool, but again, often gets criticised because the track went down the charts the week after. The Smiths tracks nearly always went down, but nobody had a go at them!
thanks 1 user thanked komakino for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 15/01/2013(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse  
#9 Posted : 18 January 2013 07:57:33(UTC)
Michael Monkhouse

Was thanked: 2410 time(s) in 2004 post(s)
Kudos for John Peel for being honest! He once said he didn't like half the stuff he played but if he didn't do it, who would? (John was the first to play Run 2 I think, by 'top stars New Order', and presented the 93 Radio documentary.)
The Blue Monday for TOTP is a right bleedin' mess in my opinion but that seems to be what people like about New Order pre-89, after which they became a finely-honed live outfit. This whole 'NO-shite-on-TOTP' thing has become the stuff of legend but it's been exaggerated - I've seen all the appearances and BM is the only one to sound considerably inferior. Gillian once said she was proud of the Thieves Like Us take as it was a many-layered structure and not easy to pull off (which is why they often did JD trax in rehearsals, thy're simpler to knock out). Round and Round on TOTP was my introduction to the group and I liked it, though I hadn't heard the superior studio versions yet.
Incidentally around '90 Bernard told both NME and Channel 4's Star Test he was in favour of miming as the aim of a performance was to sound a good as possible, which for him meant the noise they'd spent ages perfecting in the studio! But NO were a democracy so... It's no coincidence that he mimed with Electronic for TOTP in 1991.
thanks 1 user thanked Michael Monkhouse for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 18/01/2013(UTC)