logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Midnight Blue  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2012 09:03:48(UTC)
Midnight Blue

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Had to re-register on this new board after several months of playing "hooky"

Anyways, the October 23/24 Toronto shows at the Sony Centre are the first New Order shows in Toronto since 1993

The venue is a 4,000 capacity two-level SEATED theatre that has recently been renovated

The pre-gig drinks will be at The Irish Embassy Pub at 49 Yonge St at Wellington..about one block north of the venue

Looking forward to my first New Order show on this land in almost 20 years and seeing the Vikings who made the journey...

Cheers
thanks 1 user thanked Midnight Blue for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/10/2012(UTC)
Sponsor
M1  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2012 13:16:03(UTC)
M1

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Would be cool if we can make it for the drinks...truth is we'll be struggling to get there from Kingston after work on time. Gonna try to knock off early and drop the kiddies with friends in Oshawa, hoping to beat the Toronto traffic by heading in on the Go Train. The tickets say 8 so here's hoping that's door-opening time, not band on stage time?
Taking the next day off to do it all again with Saint Et the following night :)

thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
M1  
#3 Posted : 22 October 2012 15:49:52(UTC)
M1

Sorry for replying to my own post but do you reckon the 8pm start is doors opening time, support act time or the time NO will hit the stage? How early have they been starting elsewhere?
depmode101  
#4 Posted : 22 October 2012 18:13:49(UTC)
depmode101

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
In N.y.c on Thursday, they were on at 9:30, and they were apparently delayed, so I'm assuming they will be on stage between 9-9:15pm

thanks 1 user thanked depmode101 for this useful post.
ISUMatt  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2012 18:22:01(UTC)
ISUMatt

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
They hit the stage just before 9pm in Chicago
thanks 1 user thanked ISUMatt for this useful post.
M1  
#6 Posted : 22 October 2012 18:45:08(UTC)
M1

Cheers, thanks for that!
Geri  
#7 Posted : 23 October 2012 02:15:02(UTC)
Geri

Woman

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 194 post(s)
so that's the last one this year then ?! hope you all enjoy yourselves tonight Smile where's the jealous smiley ...
I know, you know, we believe in a chosen few ...
thanks 1 user thanked Geri for this useful post.
homielang  
#8 Posted : 23 October 2012 04:26:13(UTC)
homielang

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Up, down turnaround please don't let me hit the ground. I can't wait for tonight. I have never had a chance to see New Order live and I have been a fan for over 25 years. They can play any of the recent set lists and I'll be chuffed. I hope its the epic version of Elegia to start things off.
thanks 1 user thanked homielang for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#9 Posted : 23 October 2012 04:45:42(UTC)
El Jarvo

Was thanked: 443 time(s) in 313 post(s)
Geri wrote:
so that's the last one this year then ?! hope you all enjoy yourselves tonight Smile where's the jealous smiley ...

Nope.

They're doing two Toronto gigs.
thanks 1 user thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
Rogue Warrior  
#10 Posted : 23 October 2012 07:14:47(UTC)
Rogue Warrior

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
See you there.... Let's all have a good time!

Bring on the JD fans
thanks 1 user thanked Rogue Warrior for this useful post.
akskathy  
#11 Posted : 23 October 2012 08:45:47(UTC)
akskathy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

This is my first time seeing them and as I am attending alone, I will try to meet there - I will of course be wearing a Joy Divison shirt....hopefully I can find your group.

Kathy

Midnight Blue wrote:
Had to re-register on this new board after several months of playing "hooky"

Anyways, the October 23/24 Toronto shows at the Sony Centre are the first New Order shows in Toronto since 1993

The venue is a 4,000 capacity two-level SEATED theatre that has recently been renovated

The pre-gig drinks will be at The Irish Embassy Pub at 49 Yonge St at Wellington..about one block north of the venue

Looking forward to my first New Order show on this land in almost 20 years and seeing the Vikings who made the journey...

Cheers

thanks 1 user thanked akskathy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/10/2012(UTC)
Bill  
#12 Posted : 23 October 2012 13:10:33(UTC)
Bill

Man

Was thanked: 1611 time(s) in 1339 post(s)
er, is Spotnick going? Doesn't he live in Toronto/Cnada/?????
thanks 1 user thanked Bill for this useful post.
Jim  
#13 Posted : 23 October 2012 16:20:37(UTC)
Jim

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
No, he lives in Montreal. I talked to him, he can't get off work.
thanks 1 user thanked Jim for this useful post.
Rogue Warrior  
#14 Posted : 23 October 2012 21:16:40(UTC)
Rogue Warrior

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Freakin' AWESOME time at the concert. The opening act called Win Win, we're ok!!

My wife and I arrived earlier in the day. We decided to walk around. We saw Bernard arrive, and he was signing autographs, I patiently waited my turn and he posed for a picture, and signed my ticket the rest of the gang arrived 20 minutes beforehand so I missed out on them.

Posting photos later

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 24 October 2012 03:46:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Rogue Warrior for this useful post.
Andy  
#15 Posted : 23 October 2012 23:34:09(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3073 time(s) in 2144 post(s)
Waiting For the Sirens' Call returns to the set for the first time since May. Nice.

In addition to all the great non-album singles, I imagine you'll find fans that would inexplicably pick any one of New Order's 8 studio albums as their favourite. I like the idea of a set that includes at least one track from each LP. Which track from each would you pick?

For me:

Movement - Chosen Time (Dreams Never End doesn't seem like a realistic choice at this point, unless Chappy has a go)
Power, Corruption & Lies - Age of Consent
Low-Life - Sub-Culture (miss hearing this track live even though I love The Perfect Kiss)
Brotherhood - Bizarre Love Triangle (gigs don't seem complete without this and Temptation)
Technique - Mr. Disco (Round & Round or Fine Time are more obvious choices but Mr. Disco is irresistible)
Republic - Regret
Get Ready - Primitive Notion (I know I'm in the minority, but I've always preferred this and Close Range to Crystal)
Waiting For the Sirens' Call - Waiting For the Sirens' Call

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#16 Posted : 24 October 2012 01:27:58(UTC)
El Jarvo

Andy wrote:
Waiting For the Sirens' Call returns to the set for the first time since May. Nice.

Elegia and Atmosphere dropped too?

Radical.
M1  
#17 Posted : 24 October 2012 04:21:40(UTC)
M1

El Jarvo wrote:
Andy wrote:

Elegia and Atmosphere dropped too?

Radical.

Nope Elegia was there, though as someone else mentioned it would have so much more impact if they came on with it instead of Barney cracking jokes beforehand. Actually he said how tired he was and his voice did sound a bit knackered at times.

For the encore Barney gave a choice between Atmos / LWTUA and Transmission / LWTUA. I think they were going to do the former but did the latter because there were a bunch of fans holding up a Transmission sign in the orchestra pit.

The set was pretty stock standard. Regret back in. WFTSC in (Barney very flat in this one IMO). Here to Stay. No Heart & Soul, Round & Round, TLU....things I was hoping for. It's my own stupid fault knowing the set list inside out - knowing what's coming up does take the edge off a bit.

KW1 and Temptation highlights for me. Sound was a bit tinny from row T on the floor. Crowd around us looked like they had just come from a bank and sat down / talked for big chunks of the show, except for BLT and True Faith of course when they filmed it on their stupid phones. And then left midway through LWTUA *slaps forehead* If I sound negative, well, I don't mean to be but for me a gig's enjoyment is enhanced by the crowd interaction and around us at least it felt like I could have been at the Barbra Steisand show across the road. Other parts of the crowd were pumping though to be fair.

Band were tight - Barney's guitar was an absolute highlight for me, he was really on form. Awesome warmth from Gillian's keys - great to have her back. I've got to admit it, as good as Tom is I REALLY missed Hooky. He adds an element to the live band that can't be replicated. Tom is a pro - when he goes on a creative run like in Crystal he is good enough to get himself out of trouble when Hooky would just end up hitting a bung note. But it's still a gaping hole in the band dynamic IMO.

Waited for ages to get some autographs after but had to give up to catch the last train. Met some nice people (NOOLers?) but I only hope the cretin 'professional' autograph hunters were given short shrift by the band. Especially if one of them, who clearly had not been at the show, presented Barney with the Low Life era picture of Hooky he had with him!
thanks 2 users thanked M1 for this useful post.
El Jarvo on 24/10/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/10/2012(UTC)
Jim  
#18 Posted : 24 October 2012 04:28:20(UTC)
Jim

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
At the airport ready to fly to Toronto I got a Blt to get me in the mood see you tonight for the 2nd show. I hope they put close range back in tonight and leave atmosphere out.
thanks 2 users thanked Jim for this useful post.
M1 on 24/10/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/10/2012(UTC)
El Jarvo  
#19 Posted : 24 October 2012 04:34:45(UTC)
El Jarvo

M1 wrote:
Nope Elegia was there

Indeed, it's been added at http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/new-order-63d6b237.html now, but wasn't there when I got up today.

On another note, I'm amazed at how quickly these setlists have been updated on your side of the pond.

I get the obligatory Johnny Giles text messages early doors saying what's been changed, but I get up at 6am each day and the latest North American setlist has already been updated with that night's songs!

Over here, I don't think T in the Park got updated for a good couple of weeks after they played it. Laugh

And most people I go with wouldn't remember the running order if their lives depended on it anyway. Laugh Laugh

Edited by user 24 October 2012 05:46:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Linus Solanki  
#20 Posted : 24 October 2012 06:53:02(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
Rogue Warrior wrote:
Freakin' AWESOME time at the concert. The opening act called Win Win, we're ok!!

My wife and I arrived earlier in the day. We decided to walk around. We saw Bernard arrive, and he was signing autographs, I patiently waited my turn and he posed for a picture, and signed my ticket the rest of the gang arrived 20 minutes beforehand so I missed out on them.

Posting photos later

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Nice pics, I like Barneys camaflogue jacket, Let's hope I spelled it right.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#21 Posted : 24 October 2012 06:54:28(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
http://www.torontosun.co...rder-fans-at-sony-centre

TORONTO - It may have been a “Hooky”-less New Order that played the Sony Centre on Tuesday night for the first of two sold-out shows but it was better than no New Order at all.

Toronto fans have waited almost two decades to see the beloved British New Wave electronic-pop-rock act, who are currently touring without original bassist Peter “Hooky” Hook since an acromonious 2007 split, and they weren’t disappointed.

Or if they were missing the trademark low-slung bass stylings of Hook, they certainly weren’t showing it as the audience stood the entire time, dancing, singing and occasionally clapping along, often at the encouragement of unusually animated singer-guitarist Bernard Sumner.

The Sony Centre shows were the only Canadian dates of New Order’s first North American tour in seven years and the last time they were in Canada was actually in Vancouver in 2001. (They last played Kingswood in the Toronto-area in 1993.)

Sumner began the evening claiming the latest incarnation of the group — original drummer Stephen Morris and his wife and keyboardist Gillian Gilbert, along with younger recruits, guitarist Phil Cunningham, and new bassist Tom Chapman (Hook’s replacement) — were “a bit tired” given they were wrapping up their latest trek in T.O.

So what followed, a lively hour and 40-minute set of hits, some Joy Division material and lesser known songs with slick lighting and videos and major audience participation, was a bit of a surprise.

Sure, Sumner’s voice sometimes faltered in the higher registers and he was better behind his guitar than just him dancing and his microphone, but there was no lack of effort on anyone’s part (even if Gilbert was mannequin-like at her keyboards, making glorious synth sounds all the same).

Her husband, Morris, was a one-man wrecking band as he went full out behind his kit — particularly during Here To Stay — and Chapman didn’t disappoint either as the other half of the rhythm section.

His and Cunningham’s youth gave the group — now all in their ‘50s and never known for their wild performing style even back in the day — some movement and dynamics on stage.

Arriving to the strains of a spaghetti western theme, New Order began the evening in low key and lovely style with the instrumental Elegia before moving into full on dance mode with the winning quartet of Crystal, Regret, Ceremony and Age Of Consent.

They also payed homage to Joy Division, the band fronted by Ian Curtis and rounded out by Sumner, Hooky and Morris, before his 1980 suicide, with such songs as Isolation, and more poignantly during the encore with Transmission and Love Will Tear Us Apart as a big picture of Curtis was shown on the video screen behind the group along with the words “Forever Joy Division.”

Other New Order highlights were varied: Your Silent Face with an exquisite film of land, city and people scapes shown behind the band; their classic Bizarre Love Triangle featuring one of the all-time great lovelorn lyrics, “Everytime I think of you, I feel shot right through like a bolt of blue;” 586 with cool lights and notable for prompting the night’s first clapalong; remixed versions of True Faith featuring the iconic video and Temptation with a disco ball descending from above; and delicious renderings of such gems as The Perfect Kiss, and Blue Monday.

“Thanks for supporting us all these years,” said Sumner as he wrapped up.

SET LIST:

Elegia

Crystal

Regret

Ceremony

Age of Consent

Isolation

Here to Stay

Your Silent Face

Waiting for the Sirens’ Call

Bizarre Love Triangle

True Faith

The Perfect Kiss

Blue Monday

Temptation

ENCORE:

Transmission

Love Will Tear Us Apart

I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 2 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
depmode101  
#22 Posted : 24 October 2012 07:17:06(UTC)
depmode101

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I cant upload this picture anywhere, sorry, but I've provided a link to my twitter update that shows the setlist from the show.

https://twitter.com/ron_...7058139137/photo/1/large

Looks like those people with the transmission signs down front got through to the band as it doesn't appear to have been an option on what they were going to play before love will tear us apart.
thanks 2 users thanked depmode101 for this useful post.
homielang  
#23 Posted : 24 October 2012 07:33:49(UTC)
homielang

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
What a cracking show. I was happy with the setlist. Was sad to not hear Love Vigilantes but you can't win them all. The band I thought was pretty tight and sounded better than some of the live footage I have heard. Missed Hooky's presence but Tom did a great job.

Wish I was able to make it another go tonight.
thanks 2 users thanked homielang for this useful post.
El Jarvo  
#24 Posted : 24 October 2012 08:15:28(UTC)
El Jarvo

depmode101 wrote:
https://twitter.com/ron_robichaud/status/260951067058139137/photo/1/large

That's a bit mental - ATMOS or SHADOW or H&S

Never seen 'options' like that on a setlist before.

thanks 2 users thanked El Jarvo for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/10/2012(UTC), Sage_ on 06/11/2012(UTC)
Music4Pleasure  
#25 Posted : 24 October 2012 08:29:40(UTC)
Music4Pleasure

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Awesome time ! We managed to sneak in a couple hours before the show to watch about 10 min of the sound check where they were going through Atmosphere, Crystal, and Elegia. Very cool to watch !

Highlights for me were Age of Consent, Regret, Here to Stay and TPK!

We stuck around for a bit after the show and got to meet the band briefly .... I got my Run2 12" and Round & Round 7" signed by Steve, Gillian and Bernard !!!! WHOOHOO!!!! What a night :)

Shoutout to the fans I met who travelled all the way from Thunder Bay and Pittsburg.

There were also some odd characters there...disturbing :P

N.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 01 November 2012 05:55:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Music4Pleasure for this useful post.
M1 on 24/10/2012(UTC), RandyNeil on 24/10/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/10/2012(UTC)