logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
M1  
#26 Posted : 24 October 2012 08:53:34(UTC)
M1

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 237 post(s)
Music4Pleasure wrote:
Awesome time ! We managed to sneak in a couple hours before the show to watch about 10 min of the sound check where they were going through Atmosphere, Crystal, and Elegia. Very cool to watch !

Highlights for me were Age of Consent, Regret, Here to Stay and TPK!

We stuck around for a bit after the show and got to meet the band briefly .... I got my Run2 12" and Round & Round 7" signed by Steve, Gillian and Bernard !!!! WHOOHOO!!!! What a night :)

Shoutout to the fans I met who travelled all the way from Thunder Bay and Pittsburg.

There were also some odd characters there...disturbing :P

N.

Think it might have been you I met outside - both with our Run 2 12"s! Sadly had to leave before they came out....but yeah, I know what you mean with those odd characters!
thanks 1 user thanked M1 for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 26/10/2012(UTC)
europa  
#27 Posted : 24 October 2012 10:09:01(UTC)
europa

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
depmode101 wrote:

I cant upload this picture anywhere, sorry, but I've provided a link to my twitter update that shows the setlist from the show.

https://twitter.com/ron_...7058139137/photo/1/large

Looks like those people with the transmission signs down front got through to the band as it doesn't appear to have been an option on what they were going to play before love will tear us apart.

that's disappointing. transmission is alright but i would've much rather hear atmosphere or shadowplay. damn those people!

overall though it was a great setlist, even if it was missing my all-time favourite new order song, touched by the hand of god. a shame they don't play it anymore.
thanks 1 user thanked europa for this useful post.
Linus Solanki  
#28 Posted : 24 October 2012 10:39:36(UTC)
Linus Solanki

Was thanked: 1014 time(s) in 643 post(s)
Concert Review: Bernard Sumner’s New Order is the only New Order

I’m not exactly sure when Peter Hook lost his mind, but watching him publicly humiliate himself and degrade the work that made him famous has not exactly been fun for Joy Division or New Order fans. As iconic and important as Hook’s basslines are to both of those bands, the idea of touring a piece of their sound plus an anonymous band of cover artists is bankrupt at best. Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris, meanwhile, are touring the closest thing to the real deal. And their stop in Toronto on Tuesday — the first of two nights at the Sony Centre — was a master class in Hook’s outrageous irrelevance.

Because really, what you need is a voice. And while Sumner looks every bit of his 56 years, his voice is as excellent now as it was in 1980, the year Joy Division’s Ian Curtis died and New Order was born. I’ll freely admit that the contrast between the way Sumner looks and the way he sounds is, at times, distracting. Never more so than when he puts the guitar down and shuffles around the stage for more heavily electronic tracks such as Bizarre Love Triangle. But aside from that strange inconsistency, New Order is the genuine article.

That Sumner can almost seamlessly sub in for Curtis on Joy Division’s songs — Isolation, Transmission and Love Will Tear Us Apart in this set — is a bonus. Because New Order’s catalog is packed with excellence. Given that the band isn’t touring an superfluous new release, Sumner and Co. can simply pick and choose from 25 years worth of excellent material. With the exception of a limp Waiting for the Sirens’ Call, there were few, if any, misses. 5 8 6, Ceremony and Temptation were hauntingly perfect.

The bottom line is this: basslines might be the foundation to many New Order/Joy Division songs, but Tom Chapman proved they were easily replaceable. Sumner and Morris, on the other hand, are not.

Setlist:
Elegia
Crystal
Regret
Ceremony
Age of Consent
Isolation (Joy Division cover)
Here to Stay
Your Silent Face
Waiting for the Sirens’ Call
Bizarre Love Triangle
True Faith
The Perfect Kiss
Blue Monday
Temptation

Encore:
Transmission (Joy Division cover)
Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division cover)

http://arts.nationalpost...r-is-the-only-new-order/
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 3 users thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
Pyrtwist on 24/10/2012(UTC), Cap't Solo on 25/10/2012(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/10/2012(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#29 Posted : 24 October 2012 11:08:54(UTC)
Linus Solanki

http://exclaim.ca/Review...ts_toronto_on_october_23

picture gallery here also.

http://www.electrosmography.com/New_Order_Gallery/

By Cam Lindsay
In 2012, there will always be an elephant in whatever room New Order play. Or should we say, an elephant missing? Having parted ways with co-founder/bassist/big mouth Peter Hook in 2007, New Order reforming last year without him had many fans feeling like something would be missing. (Hook hasn't exactly earned much sympathy, blasphemously touring both Joy Division and New Order albums with his band the Light.)

Playing their first Toronto show in over 19 years, Bernard "Barney" Sumner, Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert (with Phil Cunningham on guitar and synths, and Tom Chapman on bass) pulled out all the stops, bringing a first-class light show with lasers, individually catered visuals for each song and the energy of 20-somethings.

Walking out to some Ennio Morricone, they received a hero's welcome, beginning with poignant instrumental "Elegia" and then abruptly switching gears into the high-octane "Crystal." The band stayed true to the set list they'd been playing so far on tour, packing "Regret," "Ceremony" and "Age of Consent" into a thrilling triad early on.

Sumner then announced they'd throw in Joy Division's "Isolation," which was modernized and given plenty more muscle than the 1980 original. Using the screen to personalize each song, the affecting "Your Silent Face" was given extra love with its own short film. Only with the more recent "Waiting for the Sirens' Call" did the band falter, as Barney failed to stay on key. But it was nothing to pick nits about.

They saved the biggest hits for the second half: for "Bizarre Love Triangle," Sumner broke out his infamous baggy dance, bobbing around as he's always done without any care, and then he asked everyone else to bounce to their biggest hit, "Blue Monday," ending it with Barney joining Gillian on synths. For "True Faith," they introduced a remixed version that was surprisingly potent, while "The Perfect Kiss" sounded massive, rebounding those lovable frog samples off the walls off the venue's near-perfect acoustics. "Temptation" closed out the set, baiting people to get up and sing its irresistible lyrics.

They had to cut a song from the encore because of the curfew, but Sumner at least took a poll of which Joy Division song we wanted to hear: "Atmosphere" or "Transmission." They opted for the latter, revving up the crowd with the pulsating rhythm, then closed with a no-brainer: their late band's signature song "Love Will Tear Us Apart," flashing a photo of the late Ian Curtis out of respect.

Even at their highest peak, New Order never had the reputation for being a truly great live band, but on this night they rolled out one hell of a package, delivering a truly elating performance that was backed by some of the most effective visuals on the circuit. Witnessing just how inspiring New Order are in 2012, maybe we should be feeling a bit of sympathy for Peter Hook. Because he's missing out on something great.
I promise to make you so alive that the fall of dust on furniture will deafen you. Nina Cassian
thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
drew  
#30 Posted : 24 October 2012 18:02:31(UTC)
drew

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 12 post(s)
The Power of Independent Trucking, and the New Order Archives, was in full attendance at Toronto #1.

Thanks to the band, I also got backstage and spent close to an hour chatting with Steve and Bernard. Most of it isn't really germane for here but chatting with Steve about technoweenie audio engineering things was something I'll never forget. Both he and Bernard, and Andy Robinson and Rebecca Boulton, are all top class folks. I also loved that thanks to Andy, the band all knew who I was and my background already. Steve asked what I was working on next, and not wanting to discuss the blogs in that setting, sorta stammered my way to the next segment. Lol.

Gillian was there too but only for a few minutes; sadly I didn't get the chance to chat with her.

Visit my blog post here for a pic of me and Bernard, and more writeup.

Lastly it was also wonderful meeting Johnny Giles (class fella! Thanks for the Vikings pin!!!), Don Sheluga, and Norbert. Great night!!!
thanks 1 user thanked drew for this useful post.
Pyrtwist  
#31 Posted : 24 October 2012 18:09:40(UTC)
Pyrtwist

Was thanked: 490 time(s) in 413 post(s)
Canadian journalist not holding back on Hooky.
thanks 1 user thanked Pyrtwist for this useful post.
RandyNeil  
#32 Posted : 24 October 2012 21:31:02(UTC)
RandyNeil

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Music4Pleasure wrote:
Awesome time ! We managed to sneak in a couple hours before the show to watch about 10 min of the sound check where they were going through Atmosphere, Crystal, and Elegia. Very cool to watch !

We stuck around for a bit after the show and got to meet the band briefly .... I got my Run2 12" and Round & Round 7" signed by Steve, Gillian and Bernard !!!! WHOOHOO!!!! What a night :)

Shoutout to the fans I met who travelled all the way from Thunder Bay and Pittsburg.

N.

Glad to hear you got your gear signed! What were the differences between the two shows, if any? How did you manage to see the sound check? I would've loved to have seen that yesterday!
thanks 1 user thanked RandyNeil for this useful post.
Jim  
#33 Posted : 25 October 2012 00:52:50(UTC)
Jim

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Setlist Oct 24

Crystal
Regret
Ceremony
Age of Consent
Love Vigilantes
Krafty
Your Silent Face
Close Range
Bizarre Love Triangle
5 8 6
True Faith
The Perfect Kiss
Blue Monday
Temptation
Encore:
Shadowplay
Atmosphere
Love Will Tear Us Apart

The way I love it, a new order show with a joy division encore.

thanks 1 user thanked Jim for this useful post.
Jim  
#34 Posted : 25 October 2012 01:19:56(UTC)
Jim

Man

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 98 post(s)
I will post a utube video when I get a chance, but the end of the show felt a little extra special since it may be the last show of the tour. The band hugged it out, and Gillian gave Barney and big wet kiss right on stage. And I got it all on video.

When did Barney get so socialable on stage? He was jamming with Phil on the left side of the stage. Then jam with chapman on the right side. And all 3 of them jumped onto steve's platform and James with him on lwtua. I have seen alot of NO shows on video and never seen this much interation before. With the great sound with them playing in the sony centre of performing arts and the interation with each other this show would have made a killer DVD.

The sound really was great in this hall, even Barney commented on it at one point. There was aloft of nice banter from Barney. I just cant remember what he said right now.

The highlight for me was close range since it's my favorite song on get ready. I missed here to stay, I fear I may never hear it live. Overall great show, I'm glad I flew to see it. Now I want to see them record a cd. It shouldn't take too long since barney has a bunch of songs written with what ever that dj's name is.
thanks 1 user thanked Jim for this useful post.
Music4Pleasure  
#35 Posted : 25 October 2012 04:32:29(UTC)
Music4Pleasure

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
M1 wrote:
Music4Pleasure wrote:

N.

Think it might have been you I met outside - both with our Run 2 12"s! Sadly had to leave before they came out....but yeah, I know what you mean with those odd characters!

Yes that was me :)
thanks 1 user thanked Music4Pleasure for this useful post.
Music4Pleasure  
#36 Posted : 25 October 2012 04:35:51(UTC)
Music4Pleasure

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
RandyNeil wrote:
Music4Pleasure wrote:

N.

Glad to hear you got your gear signed! What were the differences between the two shows, if any? How did you manage to see the sound check? I would've loved to have seen that yesterday!

We literally tried to open every door of the venue and the very last door we tried, opened ! It was right in front of the auditorium entrance, so we just walked straight in an stood at the very back and watched. Quite an adventure !
thanks 1 user thanked Music4Pleasure for this useful post.
Figaro  
#37 Posted : 26 October 2012 17:57:44(UTC)
Figaro

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Wasn't lucky enough to get tickets for both of these sold out shows. Frown Have any recordings for either of these Toronto shows been available yet?
thanks 1 user thanked Figaro for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 28/10/2012(UTC)
M1  
#38 Posted : 26 October 2012 18:38:53(UTC)
M1

Figaro wrote:
Wasn't lucky enough to get tickets for both of these sold out shows. Frown Have any recordings for either of these Toronto shows been available yet?

It's weird because the ticket booths still seemed to be selling tickets, at least on the Tuesday!
ROCKET MICK on 28/10/2012(UTC)
Figaro  
#39 Posted : 28 October 2012 11:47:03(UTC)
Figaro

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
M1 wrote:

It's weird because the ticket booths still seemed to be selling tickets, at least on the Tuesday!

Was this actually at the Sony Centre's box office?

Both Tuesday and Wednesday I kept looking for tickets on Ticketmaster and nothing was available. I really wanted to see these "Greatest Hits" concerts before next year's possible new album and tour.

Edited by user 28 October 2012 11:48:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Figaro for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 29/10/2012(UTC)
M1  
#40 Posted : 28 October 2012 14:26:37(UTC)
M1

Figaro wrote:
M1 wrote:

Was this actually at the Sony Centre's box office?

Both Tuesday and Wednesday I kept looking for tickets on Ticketmaster and nothing was available. I really wanted to see these "Greatest Hits" concerts before next year's possible new album and tour.

Yeah, inside the venue. People *seemed* to be buying tickets, though maybe it was a will-call pickup? Couldn't tell for sure. There seemed to be no 'sold out' signs anywhere. From experience back home, even shows that sell out seem to have tickets miraculously appear the night of the show, maybe media passes and the like not snapped up?
ROCKET MICK on 29/10/2012(UTC)
Linus Solanki  
#41 Posted : 05 November 2012 13:34:31(UTC)
Linus Solanki

http://fridaetv.com/2012...eature-editorial-review/

Nice picture gallery here also.

By: Fridae Mattas

On October 23rd New Order hit Toronto to play the first of two sold out shows ending off their 2012 North American Tour at The Sony Centre for Performing Arts. I completely forgot about this show, the month of October has been extremely busy for me. I was filtering press releases when I received media confirmation a few hours prior to doors.

New Order are a bit before my time, the only song I could think of that I knew was “Blue Monday”. It’s always fun to cover old school bands I would have never thought I would get a chance to see live, nevermind actually shoot. British band New Order was formed in 1980 after Joy Division singer Ian Curtis committed suicide. They regrouped and renamed the band New Order with majority of the original members still in the band. New Order today is: Bernard Sumner - Vocals and Guitar, Stephen Morris – Drums, Gillian Gilbert – Keys, Vocals and Guitar, Phil Cunningham - Guitar and Keys and the newest member of the band replacing original member Peter Hook is Bassist Tom Chapman.

I arrived just on time, literally! I reached the stage area and was immediately given the break down by our media contact, I didn’t even have a chance to configure my camera’s setting as the lights went out and the first tune “Elegia” began. We were allowed to shoot the first four songs after the intro, this is very rare. Usually the media shoots the first three sometimes only two. This was my first time actually shooting a show at the Sony Centre, I’ve covered other events at the venue but they were Ballets and Musicals that do not permit any photography during the performance.

Once the intro wrapped I started shooting from the right wing and migrated to the left, we were told to shoot from the wings and not block the middle. I wanted to take a few shots from the back of the venue of the crowd but I didn’t know if I was permitted to. It was a sold out show, the people came to listen, dance and watch their favorite band. The crowd varied in ages, the youngest being in their late teens which surprised me because I was expecting a much older crowd. I tried to observe the performance as much as I could while photographing the band but I didn’t really get the full effect until I sat in my seat to watch the performance.

I was turning to go back to the media area when the media contact reminded me I still had one more song to shoot. So used to three tunes that I completely miscounted how many tracks were left. After the fourth track ended we headed back to the media room and I was the only one who went back in to review the set. I finally found my seat as New Order played “Isolation” a Joy Division cover followed by “Here To Stay”. I was amazed by the lighting and the disco ball was a nice touch. It felt like I was watching a 3D concert movie because they also had a screen with various different images one being the bands name, it was too cool.

All of the members played their instruments well, but not as enthusiastic as you would expect. Gillian could smile a little more and show some vibrance on stage, she was not very lively. Frontman Sumner, did well vocally for his age although it was rather pitchy in a few tracks. I could barely hear him when I was in my seat during the performance because the guitars were drowning him out. He also needs a little more crowd interaction, the connection with his audience wasn’t there, he kept looking at his guitar. The whole band needs to step it up a notch for the entertainment factor, I was expecting a little more personality and showmanship from these veterans. Compared to other reunion shows I have recently covered, they were a little disappointing obviously relying on the lights and disco ball to keep the crowd on their toes.

Regardless of my critical journalistic perspective as a music fan I enjoyed myself, it was like discovering a new band and the lighting was definitely my favorite part. I went in thinking I didn’t know many of the songs but I did! Once I heard the songs live, performed by the actual band that created them, I surprisingly knew more tunes than I thought. It was so fun to sing along to “Blue Monday” and “Bizarre Love Triangle”.

A fan of the band or not, New Order will bring their 80′s infusion into your life! The fans were ecstatic, throughly enjoying themselves as New Order played most of their hits. This crowd was the most dancey I have seen in a while, more people need to dance to their favorite music. The two encores that closed this seventeen track set were Joy Division covers “Transmission” and “Love Will Tear Us A Part”. If New Order hits the road again and you are an 80′s music fan, this show you must experience. Major thanks goes to the fabulous folks at Goldenvoice Canada/AEGLive.

www.NEWORDERNOW.net

Edited by user 05 November 2012 13:35:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Linus Solanki for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/11/2012(UTC)
toronto new  
#42 Posted : 05 November 2012 15:56:19(UTC)
toronto new

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked toronto new for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 06/11/2012(UTC)
World Domination: Complete  
#43 Posted : 09 November 2012 05:57:05(UTC)
Baggie Boiler

Man

Was thanked: 1022 time(s) in 811 post(s)
Clown
Let's all wave our arms about !
thanks 1 user thanked Baggie Boiler for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 09/11/2012(UTC)