logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perspexorange  
#26 Posted : 16 April 2023 03:23:54(UTC)
perspexorange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3447 time(s) in 2250 post(s)
Put me in the camp of 'probably won't go and see them at those prices'.

Much as I still enjoying seeing them live (although I would prefer to see them either touring new material or some 'deep cuts'), I can't really justify the expense.
Although I could afford it, it just seems a bit frivolous to spend probably £200 (inc. ticket prices, transport, hotel, beers and more beers) on the event.
All to see the band perform pretty much the same set as they were doing when I last saw them at BlueDot and Ally Pally. If I lived in Leeds, London etc., and could keep costs to minimum, I'd probably consider it. However, to get to these venues from leafy Salop would cost me an arm and a leg.
(Incidentally, that's pretty much why I didn't go to the O2. I bought a ticket when the gig was announced, then thought better of it, closer to the event.)

As I've said before, I don't begrudge the band for repeating sets, playing big venues and, consequently, charging large sums; as £50note says, they've well and truly earned it.
However, I think we've all also earned the right to decide how we spend our hard-earned cash. If we don't think the ticket price is worth it, that's our prerogative. Doesn't mean we like the band any less. Besides, we can drop that cash on other band-related material (those wonderful box sets we're getting, for instance) and still help Bernard and co top-up their well-deserved pension.
thanks 3 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/04/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 16/04/2023(UTC), Fotz on 16/04/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#27 Posted : 16 April 2023 04:07:58(UTC)
Fotz

Was thanked: 3616 time(s) in 2617 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cian Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post

Nah. I'll spend my money on seeing a band or artist who's now more inspiring and revitalising, thanks.Would love to see Jon Hopkins live. Or Weyes Blood. Or even Spiritualized again.You go carry on going to see New Order to relive your youth.

You post rather a lot here for someone so disinterested.

Not sure when you say 'here' you mean this thread or the forum in general. I post a lot in the forum in general because i'm still interested in chatting about the band, be it about the defintive edition box series, the songs and albums in general, old footage or previously unearthed footage and many other NO topics. Doesn't mean i want to pay out a lot of money to go see them live again performing pretty much the same songs i've seen them perform a hundred times before.

thanks 1 user thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/04/2023(UTC)
Debaser  
#28 Posted : 16 April 2023 07:06:49(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3003 time(s) in 2073 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perspexorange Go to Quoted Post
As I've said before, I don't begrudge the band for repeating sets, playing big venues and, consequently, charging large sums; .

One thing I forgot in my post last night (cos it was past 3am) was this:

The people saying "take my money" for these gigs - which have no new material to support - are actually encouraging the band to live in the past. They're enabling NO to just dig out the old "hits". I've been waiting for NO to knuckle down on new muisc since the Ally Pally gig in 2018 (which I only went to because it was local and I had those 'last-time' thoughts).

NO are in danger of being a tribute act to themselves, which Stephen said (to Mark Radcliffe) in the Music Complete era that they were NOT trying to be. They're no more current or relevant now than Hook & The Light.

If the retro-punters would stop enabling NO with these "cha-ching" gigs, the band might knuckle down and work on something substantial like they did with MC.
I want to live in the present. I want more music while NO still exist. NO are giving us more gigs with more ££ on the ticket price and more seats in the venues.

I believe it is better to want more music/art than to want more cash. And Bernard & Co are considerably richer than me! I'm concerned about my pension, not theirs!

When they're counting the cash from these gigs, I wonder if the band ever find themselves humming Restless?

"How much do you need?
How much, how much do you need?"
thanks 5 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
perspexorange on 16/04/2023(UTC), The Shadow on 16/04/2023(UTC), tapebias on 16/04/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 16/04/2023(UTC), Fotz on 16/04/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#29 Posted : 16 April 2023 07:21:37(UTC)
perspexorange

Good point D.

I suppose what I was saying is that, annoying as it, you can't really blame them for not knuckling down and writing new songs.

The band have always been a bit glacial when it comes to writing new material. If one can make (much) more money gigging, that'll probably be the option they'll chose.
thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
tapebias  
#30 Posted : 16 April 2023 08:27:48(UTC)
tapebias

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 156 post(s)
Exactly Debaser, how much do they need? I'm not bothered about new stuff because if it was any good we would have heard some by now, similar to what happened before MC which I think was more a reaction to Hook. Now it's people "liking" Gillian's backstage fridge contents on social media, FFS don't encourage them.

Fellow Mute labelmates A Certain Ratio have worked their backsides off releasing 2 fresh albums and 3 EP's since MC came out.

And I hope I'm consistent - I moan about everything. Setlists, venues AND the price of boxsets! I still love their music though.
thanks 3 users thanked tapebias for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/04/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 16/04/2023(UTC), Fotz on 16/04/2023(UTC)
Andy  
#31 Posted : 16 April 2023 08:36:31(UTC)
Andy

Man

Was thanked: 3069 time(s) in 2142 post(s)
I understand the various attitudes fans have, and they're certainly all valid.

My attitude is that, at this point, you never know if it will have been your last opportunity. FOMO was certainly a factor when going to New Orleans in March. I should have been satisfied from the three gigs I did last year but you never know... Thoughts of not going to the Miami residency before COVID hit still haunted me.

And when I say last opportunity, I mean someone in the band just might not be up for it next time. And let's hope it's their decision and not a health issue that decides it. I hate to think that way but admit it could be a factor at this stage in Bernard, Gillian and Stephen's lives.

Edited by user 16 April 2023 08:38:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
Fotz  
#32 Posted : 16 April 2023 12:38:50(UTC)
Fotz

Well, i may be more inclined to attend one of the gigs if they released a new song or two. Maybe a single with a great b side. Or an EP of 4 songs.I don't expect or think they'll do a whole album.New material seems unlikely at this stage though. I feel tapebias makes a good point in that a lot , though not all, of their motivation to record and release Music Complete was to get one over and back on Hooky.
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 16/04/2023(UTC), Andy on 17/04/2023(UTC)
Jonathan  
#33 Posted : 17 April 2023 02:50:36(UTC)
Jonathan

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 123 post(s)
Sheesh. Well, I managed to get 3 standing tickets with the Three pre-sale for Leeds. I had to borrow a Three phone from someone , and the code they could generate could only be used once. (I wanted to go back in and buy seats for some friends too, which I couldn't get the system to accept at the same time as the standing tickets: but I couldn't.)

I feel the price is sharply more than when I saw them recently (checks notes... oh, 2012. I haven't even seen Music Complete songs yet!). I'm not sure what's changed in their stature exactly but so it goes. I didn't catch MiF which looked incredible and everything post-MiF seems a little inspired by it.

FWIW, there were £45 seated tickets available in the pre-sale for Leeds, but they were in the Gods.
thanks 2 users thanked Jonathan for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 17/04/2023(UTC), Andy on 17/04/2023(UTC)
Cian  
#34 Posted : 20 April 2023 13:33:33(UTC)
Cian

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
With much of their peak money making years happening under the financial black hole that was Factory; and not really making all that much of the music industries ridiculous financial peak either; I'd say they aren't *that* rich - and probably would have given up touring if they were.

New material would be nice, but I never really took to MC in the first place...

Edited by user 20 April 2023 13:35:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Cian for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 20/04/2023(UTC), negative1 on 22/04/2023(UTC)
Andy  
#35 Posted : 22 April 2023 10:49:03(UTC)
Andy

Man

Compared to many of you, I clearly fall on the side of giving the band more slack in regards to the setlists and how it pertains to value for money, etc.

But don't think I can't empathize with you. I'm going through it right now with Echo & the Bunnymen. I love that band, and have been seeing them live just as long as I have New Order (same day and gig in 1987). Although I've seen them fewer times than New Order, memories of their gigs are vague because the set structure, if not the actual setlists have remained remarkably similar over the last 10 years or so. It's actually rare when they don't open a gig with "Going Up".
And I think I've mentioned that the official Twitter account blocked me when I suggested their "Nothing Lasts Forever" medley might need a rest.

I saw them last Fall and granted, Ian was recoving from COVID. But it was hardly any different than the last 5 gigs of theirs I'd seen (other than the fact that Ian sat on a stool the whole time and the set was shorter). Why am I bringing this up?
They're playing a gig only about 65 miles away from me in Saratoga next month. I know odds are it won't be drastically different, but it could very well be my last opportunity to see them. Tickets are $89.50 so figure well over 100 quid with fees. Should I save my money and vacation time (I'm seeing The Sisters of Mercy the same week), or hope for a gig to remember? The Mountain Winery is a lovely venue, it could be inspiring...
thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/04/2023(UTC), negative1 on 24/04/2023(UTC)
Coops  
#36 Posted : 24 April 2023 04:43:56(UTC)
Coops

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 456 post(s)
Wow, don't some folk act incredibly defensive when you point out that, irrespective of band history or whatever, something is actually quite expensive.

I guess some people wouldn't say shit if their mouths were full of it.
thanks 1 user thanked Coops for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/04/2023(UTC)
Rorschach  
#37 Posted : 24 April 2023 05:04:10(UTC)
Rorschach

Was thanked: 369 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Personally, I'm done with Arenas and Festivals; switching between watching a dot on the horizon and a huge TV.

I'd happily do the Castlefield Bowl / MIF (equivalent) / Apollo / Olympia sized gigs if they chose to do them.

I'm happy to pay more to see Neworder than any other band. I refuse to be ripped off as a point of principle but that has a different definition when it comes to Neworder.

thanks 2 users thanked Rorschach for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/04/2023(UTC), Andy on 24/04/2023(UTC)
Andy  
#38 Posted : 24 April 2023 09:52:50(UTC)
Andy

Man

What it comes down to is one person might feel "They're charging too much for the same old thing, I'm losing interest", and another "They're charging too much, I need to put my money towards more necessary things". Neither will go, but it's definitely more frustrating for the latter.

Has anything gone down in price post-COVID? Some things are justified but too many seem to be purely motivated by greed. It seems companies feel as long as there is enough people than can afford something, they'll keep the price as high as possible, fair or not. I think when it comes down to ticket pricing complaints, it's not fair to direct them squarely at the band. Ticketing agencies have always been horrible, but now the venues, and band management (and whoever else gets a cut) want in on the gravy train. Did they not just announce a new management structure in January?

Complaints about static setlists and performances however, are fair game. But were those early eighties gigs short and without encores purely based on the band's principles? I would argue it was partially down to an early indication of a lazy streak...

thanks 2 users thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 24/04/2023(UTC), Jul on 25/04/2023(UTC)
The Shadow  
#39 Posted : 24 April 2023 13:46:03(UTC)
The Shadow

Was thanked: 548 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Well after my moaning found out as a treat my good lady has arranged for a trip to Copenhagen for a short city break. Same time as new order are there so myself and daughter are now going! First time I’ve ever seen new order abroad so now excited, I now know how a Viking feels.
thanks 6 users thanked The Shadow for this useful post.
Andy on 24/04/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 25/04/2023(UTC), Jul on 25/04/2023(UTC), Like No Other on 28/04/2023(UTC), negative1 on 01/05/2023(UTC), prog99 on 01/05/2023(UTC)
Cian  
#40 Posted : 30 April 2023 06:46:09(UTC)
Cian

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Brixton Academy already looked like it wouldn't be available for this tour time schedule; it almost definitely won't be now:

https://www.theguardian....ys-license-to-be-revoked

This will probably be part of why the O2 was chosen.
thanks 2 users thanked Cian for this useful post.
Andy on 30/04/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 01/05/2023(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#41 Posted : 12 May 2023 09:24:42(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)

They've taken out a full page ad in the latest issue of Mojo to let the world now that them and Confidence Man are going on tour, which is more than they've done on the last few UK tours (not that there are many places to put printed adverts these days, this was my last issue of Mojo, I used to subscribe to Q and when that closed down, the subscription transferred over to Mojo and I lasted a year before realising it is the same old shit bands every month and cancelled, unfortunately I did so after they renewed it so I had another twelve months to come to terms with the depth of my error).

For those that want to investigate, there is also a tiny bit near the back about the show they did at Dublin Point in 1993, with a photo of Bernard, Stephen and Gillian alongside it (no idea why they couldn't find one with Peter) and how they didn't play any shows after Reading for five years after that but you can go into a Smiths and read both in less than a couple of minutes, not worth paying for it.

thanks 1 user thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 12/05/2023(UTC)
lee  
#42 Posted : 13 May 2023 08:45:56(UTC)
lee

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 199 post(s)
I'm on the mailing list for leeds arena and quite a few gigs there end up 2 for 1 i think new order's will end up the same tbh
thanks 1 user thanked lee for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 13/05/2023(UTC)
Ken Doherty  
#43 Posted : 22 July 2023 02:30:16(UTC)
Ken Doherty

Man

Was thanked: 383 time(s) in 313 post(s)

Stephen and Gillian are going to be on Radio 6 next Wednesday morning to 'talk about the tour' which given it doesn't start until late September is making me think ticket sales haven't gone as well as planned?
thanks 4 users thanked Ken Doherty for this useful post.
Fotz on 22/07/2023(UTC), Andy on 22/07/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 23/07/2023(UTC), perspexorange on 25/07/2023(UTC)
Andy  
#44 Posted : 22 July 2023 12:11:09(UTC)
Andy

Man

Originally Posted by: Ken Doherty Go to Quoted Post

Stephen and Gillian are going to be on Radio 6 next Wednesday morning to 'talk about the tour' which given it doesn't start until late September is making me think ticket sales haven't gone as well as planned?

I'm a bit surprised they've not announced more gigs surrounding the Darker Waves date. And not necessarily in the US. Mexico and South America have been a bit neglected of late. Primavera Sound Buenos Aires recently added Pet Shop Boys...

thanks 1 user thanked Andy for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 23/07/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#45 Posted : 26 July 2023 01:18:07(UTC)
Fotz

Caught int. just now.

They said there will be a Substance reissue expanded and to include live versions except Shellshock because they couldn't find a good live recording of it.

Stephen says he'll be doing a third book.

Stephen had Covid duribg the Porto gig in June and the power kept cutting out?
thanks 2 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
Debaser on 26/07/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2023(UTC)
Debaser  
#46 Posted : 26 July 2023 05:22:26(UTC)
Debaser

Was thanked: 3003 time(s) in 2073 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fotz Go to Quoted Post

Caught int. just now.

They said there will be a Substance reissue expanded and to include live versions except Shellshock because they couldn't find a good live recording of it.

Stephen says he'll be doing a third book.

Stephen had Covid duribg the Porto gig in June and the power kept cutting out?

Ah yes, Lauren Laverne's show covered by Huw Stephens here at 1hr,6mins (to 1hr,21)

So Stephen discovered he had Covid two tracks into the gig? Hmm, I'm not sure how that works. Perhaps he did a test after the gig and realised that's why he was struggling?

And Gillian was also really ill during lockdown. Was that Covid as well?
I remember when she fell down the stairs and ended up in Macclesfield hospital (as per this) but that was after the various UK lockdowns.

Good news that they're actively working on an expanded Substance. Perhaps this might reassure those who have been speculating here.
The bad news that we can perhaps extrapolate is that they pobably haven't been working on new music during this lull.

Re: Shellshock
Gillian on live versions of Shellshock "we said, lets do it like the record...If you listen to it now, it's completely bobbins -the order". I think she means the structure of the recording.
Gillian: "John Robie was quite a character"
Stephen "yes we'll just leave it there". Do they...sort of agree with Hooky on the subject of Robie?

thanks 2 users thanked Debaser for this useful post.
Fotz on 26/07/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2023(UTC)
Fotz  
#47 Posted : 26 July 2023 05:44:23(UTC)
Fotz

Sorry for not posting link. I was in a rush on break at work and posting from phone.

I'm wondering now if Stephen slipped up saying a Substance expanded reissue and actually meant to say Brotherhood?
ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2023(UTC)
perspexorange  
#48 Posted : 26 July 2023 08:09:23(UTC)
perspexorange

Great little interview with the both of them.

As I say every time, Steve is just a joy to listen to.
He is a mine of info regarding New Order minutiae and just sounds like great fun to be around.
Would love to meet the pair of them at some point.

Also, fab to hear Shellshock, rather than the obvious stuff (TF, BM, LWTUA, Regret etc.).
It's always been a particular favourite of mine and I was glad it was resurrected for the MiF gigs. I always felt, before then, that the band were disowning both Shellshock and Sub-culture. Glad they obviously like them both

thanks 1 user thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz  
#49 Posted : 26 July 2023 08:52:34(UTC)
Fotz

Was curious to what Stephen would write about in a third book. Just checked how he concludes his second book and it kind of finishes with Hook leaving in 2007. So i guess book 3 will pick up from there and the post Hook era, return to gigging and Music Complete.
perspexorange  
#50 Posted : 26 July 2023 09:18:20(UTC)
perspexorange

I doubt that period would be all that interesting (comparatively speaking) to most people, although I would obviously still like to read it.

I just wondered whether or not he might do a third book on some other subjective. perhaps focussing on his love of music tech etc.
Maybe his love of military vehicles. ;-)
thanks 2 users thanked perspexorange for this useful post.
Fotz on 26/07/2023(UTC), ROCKET MICK on 26/07/2023(UTC)