logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sung  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2023 17:12:38(UTC)
Sung

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
The last thing I want to do is offend anyone, so please -- if you are a diehard fan of the Beatles, then please, ignore this message!

But if you are not a huge fan, I have a confession to make -- I really don't care for the music of the Beatles. I know they are the fathers of much of rock/pop music, but I've always found them to be simplistic and just not very interesting on a sonic level. And I'd of course be the first to admit that even though I love music, I have very little formal knowledge, so perhaps it's just that I don't know enough about the form.

Today I was listening to Everything but the Girl's Amplified Heart, and goodness, is that just one of the most perfect albums ever. For me, AH is better than anything the Fab Four has created. No doubt this makes me a heathen, and no doubt both Ben Watt and Tracey Thorn would slap me for making such a ludicrous proclamation, but there it is.

Just for reference -- it's not like I don't like other songs from that time period. I adore Motown. I also like the Beach Boys. And Pink Floyd (though I'm more of a fan of their lusher sounds -- Meddle, DSotM, The Wall, and especially The Division Bell).

To be frank, my faves are the British New Wave and onward, so no doubt I have an affinity for more modern music, especially with the synths.

Oh, and to add to the blasphemy, I don't like Bob Dylan, either! Just never liked his voice...
thanks 1 user thanked Sung for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/02/2023(UTC)
Sponsor
Fotz  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2023 13:18:50(UTC)
Fotz

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3608 time(s) in 2613 post(s)
Yeah i guess i like them .Or maybe i like a lot of their songs, Penny Lane, Day In The Life, Eleanor Rigby and many others.Though that song Old Brown Shoe is it called? Hate that song.Loved the Yellow Submarine film as a kid, thought it was the greatest thing i'd ever seen.I picked up the Blue album and Red album on vinyl at a record fair some years back, the only Beatles stuff i actually own.I like those albums though probably because they're basically greatest hits.I've listened to all their albums at some point over the years, the White Album is kind of difficult but there's some stuff on it i like.But yeah i know what you mean, some of their songs are a bit simplistic but that's the way they are i guess, that's how they, or at least lot of their songs, work.But i don't sign up to the Beatles were and always will be the best and i refuse to accept any other group or artist has created anything better wall of thinking.There's loads of stuff i rate way above the Beatles.

Oh and Bob Dylan.Can't listen to him.Yeah great socially and political lyrics but can't stand his singing.

Edited by user 22 February 2023 13:21:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Fotz for this useful post.
ROCKET MICK on 22/02/2023(UTC), Jul on 23/02/2023(UTC), Sung on 25/02/2023(UTC)